Author Topic: Anime Expo 2011 (Los Angeles)  (Read 10724 times)

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
Anime Expo 2011 (Los Angeles)
« on: April 13, 2011, 08:16:56 AM »
This is going to be my first con of any kind. Who else is going? And on what day? c:

Re: Anime Expo 2011 (Los Angeles)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:51:52 AM »
I'm gonna go. Probably will go on Friday and Saturday.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »
I'll prrrrrobably be there.  Depends on whether I'll be located in a transit-accessible area.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »
Not this year, but I'm thinking of going next year

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 05:24:00 AM »
Thinking about it, but at least it's not too far of a drive.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

pineyappled

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 05:25:22 AM »
All four, probably. I'm going as Mokou. Probably.

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:15:28 AM »
I'll at least be there on Saturday. It's a drive, though. I still gotta see who's going with me. If we can afford a room somewhere I might be able to fit another day in there. Never done this before, not sure what to do :ohdear:

I wish it was still in Anaheim so I could just WALK DOWN THE STREET TO THE CONVENTION CENTER

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 07:57:12 AM »
It's not even June yet.  I'm not thinking this far ahead yet.  Put me down as Possibly.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 04:20:47 AM »
I already registered for Friday and Saturday.

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 05:09:17 PM »
I'll be going this year, hosting a friend from New York. Probably Saturday and Sunday only. Hopefully the Touhou gathering is on one of those days.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 12:10:03 AM »
I'll probably sign up to work 12 hours the first day, then get the next 3 days for free :V

pineyappled

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 01:36:52 AM »
Never mind, I'm only going for the last two days.

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 07:46:47 AM »
Damn, I don't get to see Piney's Mokou?

Though I think I might look at motel pricing if I get both days off

EDIT: both weekend days at least

Yuyuko Yakumo

• Carry me~ow
  • Rawr I eat your face with maaaaaagicalness
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 09:22:45 PM »
Going every day, woot.

Well, it's my first Anime con so you can't blame me.
I know, I know. I'll get a real avatar and signature soon. -_-

pineyappled

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 11:21:04 PM »
Change of plans. I'm not going at all because I'll be in Mongolia. No idea what there is to do in Mongolia, but...

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »
Well, I hope it's safe in Mongolia. And not too cold.

Yuyuko Yakumo

• Carry me~ow
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 02:40:50 AM »
I believe this warrants enough for a necropost.
Hatsune Miku to perform US debut at Anime Expo

Kiro

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 02:54:02 AM »
I believe this warrants enough for a necropost.
Hatsune Miku to perform US debut at Anime Expo

Oh my. I guess it fits. Although now that I see the current guest list, I'm way more excited about Kalafina.  :*

Also according to cosplay.com, the Touhou gathering will be Saturday, 1 PM, West Hall. I'll be there.

Yuyuko Yakumo

• Carry me~ow
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 04:38:16 AM »
Didn't know they would have a Touhou gathering. Then again, why wouldn't they? I'll make note of that. :3

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »
I'll be going Saturday, but now I think I'll only be there for a day, since there's a FREE anime con in Anaheim on the same weekend that I'll be going to on Friday.

Formless God

pineyappled

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »
http://am2con.org/
That it?

I promised a friend last year that we would get a table in AX's 'artist's' alley.
Gotta work harder. :P

Oh, and my parents fixed the flight thing, I'll be there for two or three days.

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
http://am2con.org/
That it?
That's the one. Should I make a thread?

Kiro

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »
*goes to am2con.org*

Pirate Rum Party?!  :getdown:

11 AM...  ???

Wait a darn minute... is there going to be actual rum?

BTW, I miss AX's Summer Festival.

Kiro

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 05:29:05 AM »
Wait, you have to buy tickets to concerts and the masquerade now?! Found out when I went to register today.

Btw people, Hatsune Miku concert already sold out. Kalafina tickets and Masquerade tickets still available. $15 each. Don't put off registering if you want to go to these.

Formless God

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 07:56:52 AM »
Uh, you have to register on their website first ? I thought I could just waltz in after picking up a badge/pass on-site. And having the pass alone isn't enough to view the concerts ?
It's my first time and I'm pretty clueless about this ._.

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
My first time too. Yeah you really won't be able to do any of the concerty stuff without registering online first, but I'm pretty sure you can still buy a badge at the entrance, it just costs a lot more and you have to wait in more lines

Kiro

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »
Argh, now I feel terrible for not explaining stuff.

Go to www.anime-expo.org, click Registration, then Register Now. It is generally much easier to pre-register; you will get an email later on with a barcode that they will scan when you arrive at the pre-registration line. Nowadays, that should be quicker than buying a pass at the door (since you have to fill out everything on the spot). It's also a little cheaper now too. You need the pass to go into the Exhibit/Merchandise Hall, any panels, and any concerts.

The pre-registration line will be busiest on the first full day, Friday, but will also be somewhat busy on Saturday for the people who aren't attending all 4 days since Saturday and Sunday are the main events. The line to get into the exhibit hall every morning at 10:00 will be LONG, but say you get in line at 9:30, you'll probably be in the hall by 10:30 or 10:45. I don't bother trying to be one of the first people in line anymore. If you're going to buy stuff, keep in mind the vast majority of booths will be selling manga and DVDs. All of them tend to have large discounts on bundles of manga and DVD boxsets. You usually don't have to worry about any of that selling out in the entire Hall unless they are new releases like the latest volume of Negima or something like that.

There are a few Touhou/doujin centric merchandise booths. Hen Da Ne is the one that sticks out in my mind; most well known for the guy screaming out YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII and selling giant YAOI paddles. There will be some Touhou doujin there. Kinokuniya will have a booth, usually in the middle of the Exhibit Hall with their array of Japanese manga and artbooks. That's one place you might get the official ZUN printed works. If they don't have it there, you can request the cashier to see if they can bring any for the following day. Or just drive to Little Tokyo where the store is (just 10 minutes away from LA Convention Center). I think there are a few other booths that may have Touhou plushies and other small goodies. Be warned it won't be cheap.

BRING CASH!!!

Bring enough cash! I usually buy manga and sometimes a few Touhou things or anything else that may catch my eye. I usually bring about $300. Most, but not all vendors accept credit card. And ATM lines SUCK. And I don't really do this, but it makes sense that if you ask an Artist in the Artist Alley for a drawing commission, that you'll have to pay in cash. Do check out the Artist's Alley if you have the time. There are some neat little trinkets or drawings you can get there that will be unlike anything you could buy at the Exhibit Hall. Go early if you want a commissioned work since they need time to get it done.

CONVENTION FOOD IS EXPENSIVE AND OVERCROWDED!!!

If you can bring something light to eat and stuff into your pocket or small backpack, that would be best. I usually don't bother eating lunch when I go to AX. That's spending money yo! There's nothing really walking distance from the LA Convention Center either.

I also refer to Cosplay.com's forum for a list of series related cosplay shoots. The primary thread is here. To reiterate, the Touhou gathering is on Saturday, 1 PM in the West Hall. Memorize or print out the map at the bottom of the first post for general purposes. The last one I went to 2 years ago had people hanging around for almost 2 hours. Bring a camera. If you want to take a picture of someone as you're walking along, ask them politely. If you're at a group shoot, fire away with everybody else.

I do not know if there is a Touhou fan panel this year. And I've never seen one at AX in previous years. I'll look into it later.

Just take it easy and enjoy the atmosphere. And seriously, go to the Kalafina concert. I think it will be awesome. I'm skipping the Masquerade.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »
I'll be attending AX Saturday only, and I'll be going to the Miku and Kalafina concerts too. This'll be the first time I'm attending AX. I'm a long-time visitor of Comic-Con, but now it's turn to shit so I'm going to AX instead this year. Plus, Miku and Kalafina are what pushed me to finally register.

I couldn't get a hotel, so I'll be sleeping in the car for the night. Then I'll probably visit AM2 the next day, since it's free. Oh and they have an arcade with BlazBlue and Guilty Gear.

pineyappled

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2011, 01:42:17 AM »
I usually waited until after the con to get food outside the center. Just bring a shitton of snacks and you'll be fine.

Never buy official artbooks inside, it's likely to be very overpriced.If it's very popular, you can find it in other places. Even Kinokuniya's booth overprices compared to their store, about fifteen minutes away from the con center. Doujin works you should get. They're very hard to impossible to get for a reasonable price outside. I'm not too sure on whether or not they carry official ZUN stuff.
Don't buy AA stuff unless it really catches your eye. A standard poster-sized print comes for about $15.
Also, OP of the Touhou thread at cosplay.com
Cosplaying our favorite IOSYS Girls~!
The Touhou Project, many have seen the videos on Youtube but very few Know anything about the Universe behind the adorable girls~!

RIGHT I WAS GOING TO SIGN UP FOR MOKOU BUT NEVER MIND.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:53:50 AM by moooo »