Author Topic: Anime North 2011 Toronto, Ontario  (Read 23597 times)

Re: Anime North 2011 Toronto, Ontario
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2011, 11:03:14 PM »
Awesome time guys, glad I came. Got some sweet loot too. Staying up til four am playing shmups and fightan gaemz was great :V

Sorry I missed out on dinner that day, didn't know about it :(

Toohoo panel was awesome and the shmup gaming session afterward was great too! Playing Espgaluda II and Bullet Soul with Suikama :V

Definitely going to come next year.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2011, 11:12:58 PM »
I knew doing the shmups RIGHT AFTER THE TOUHOU PANEL to make up for the lack of shmups yesterday was a great idea.

It was all great. Good times everyone.

Will post pics later, including my favourite cosplay <33333

Also gonna post my loot later :V

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2011, 11:50:42 PM »
Had a good time too. Managed to grab some stuff at the Dealers' Market and some stuff I couldn't find there (like Magical Astronomy).

Drake

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2011, 12:01:43 AM »
 :qq:

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2011, 12:48:02 AM »
Also, as great as how the panel seemed to have went, the time was pretty horrible (once again) due to the fact that the check out time in hotels were 12 noon, so people either left early or didn't come at all because of this =/

Also, room still too small that people still didn't have seats x.x

Grimoire

• nope.jpg
  • brb gensokyo
    • ~ Wondrous Children ~
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2011, 12:49:54 AM »
Had a really cool time. Love how the panel was very mature and none of the 'intro stuff' to like lulnoobswhatistouhou. Loved the panelists. The one came up to me as I was leaving the convention to go home and we must have talked for like an hour about Touhou stuff. Totally raided everything Touhou too.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »
Had a really cool time. Love how the panel was very mature and none of the 'intro stuff' to like lulnoobswhatistouhou. Loved the panelists. The one came up to me as I was leaving the convention to go home and we must have talked for like an hour about Touhou stuff. Totally raided everything Touhou too.

Are you the one I talked to at Harvey's? :V

Grimoire

• nope.jpg
  • brb gensokyo
    • ~ Wondrous Children ~
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2011, 01:00:53 AM »
Are you the one I talked to at Harvey's? :V
No XD I didn't even go into Harvey's this year. I was talking to the guy that was from Quebec who was crossdressing  :3

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2011, 01:02:44 AM »
It sucks to be the quiet one for the 2nd year in a row.
Other than that, awesome year, it was great meeting up w/ Naut, Gpop, Suikama, Merp (though it was just a simple hi :V), and couple of new people.

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2011, 01:15:56 AM »
Well, be happy that you guys got a bigger room than the Madoka panel, which many people couldn't get in. And a surprise projector.

Given that there's only one hour, discussion panels work better than intro. Most of the audience were already familiar w/ Touhou anyways.

There were also many Touhou cosplayers out there; I counted at least 20. Haven't seen any UFO though.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2011, 01:17:15 AM »
No XD I didn't even go into Harvey's this year. I was talking to the guy that was from Quebec who was crossdressing  :3

Oh Shuue then xD awesome. He was generally shy, but when it comes to touhou he talks quite a bit about it :V

Well, be happy that you guys got a bigger room than the Madoka panel, which many people couldn't get in. And a surprise projector.

Given that there's only one hour, discussion panels work better than intro. Most of the audience were already familiar w/ Touhou anyways.

There were also many Touhou cosplayers out there; I counted at least 20. Haven't seen any UFO though.

Yeah understandable lol.

And there were UFO cosplayers at the touhou photoshoop, which had an AMAZING Byakuren <3 (and nice legs too I think, gotta double check my pics)

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2011, 01:25:13 AM »
Ah, I didn't know there was one (if you're referring to the Fri 7:00pm thing) until I checked this thread on Saturday. Nice to hear there were some.

First time I've been to Anime North in a while. I wanted to survey the cosplayers to see if there was a void I could fill.

Maybe.

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2011, 01:50:56 AM »
AN was awesome this year since I decided to go around and try to hang out with as many people that I knew as possible (as opposed to just sitting in the fighting game room all day last year :V)

Panel was so crammed and I couldn't hear over the people coming in and out beside us. You guys should try to get a mic next time.
And also me BV

Aww yeah me and Naut grazin bullets (and not bullets for Bullet Soul) like bros BV

Also inb4picrush

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
This AN was the first time I actually went to the touhou panel and my mind was throughly blown, panelists were totally awesome. Got some more cool stuff, and probably hung out for for like 5-6 hours... Gah! awesome  :]

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2011, 06:34:06 PM »

Wait wait WAIT

Hold on

WERE YOU THE KOISHI COSPLAYER?

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2011, 06:59:18 PM »
I'm seeing plenty of good reviews for the Touhou panel. How was it presented, and with what sort of time and room space were the panelists working?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
Room space was smaller, and it was so crammed to the point that people that came in late were prevented from entering the room.
I apologize for being quiet throughout the entire panel (I was the guy on the far left with the headphones and the sword umbrella).

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2011, 08:00:58 PM »
I was blown away by the panel, and the amount of Touhou fans at Anime North (Not even including the photoshoot, I saw more Touhou cosplayers in an hour in Toronto than I have in a year in Edmonton).

Really a damn shame we could only get an hour for the panel, though. If we didn't find the empty room, we could have done like the Madoka panel did and continue in the parking lot or something.

Managed to get myself Shoot the Bullet and a Nendroid set, in addition to a bunch of prizes from coming in first at the Game that Tune and some other assorted swag. I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow.

I'm glad I was able to make it, this is one of the best weekends I've had ever. Sorry for not hanging out with you a bit longer, I'm kind of kuudere in person and really nervous about initiating conversation.

If it matters, I was the one near the front with the striped shirt and black satchel.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:55:42 PM by The Magical Colossal »

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »
Considering it was my first year at a con, I can't really say any sort of comparison points, but I certainly agree with the points on "too small of a room" for the panel. I had to stand right beside the door, and everytime it opened, I missed whatever the speakers were saying at the front. You might have seen me; I was the messy haired guy with the Reimu doll. Hell, you might have even talked to me about the doll and saw me fail at DDR the day before.  :V

Overall, the con was pretty dang cool. The amount of Touhou art was, in comparison to what I thought it'd be like, incredible, and I even got around to buying a few keychains from one artist. Other than the Reimu doll, that was all the Touhou stuff I bought, but goddammit, I am PROUD to have a Reimu doll!

The cosplayers for the Touhou bunch were nice as well. Props to all you crossplayers out there, because if you weren't there, there'd be a LOT less representatives for Touhou. The Medicine I saw was almost doll-like, and the Utsuho truly put effort into his costume.

Overall, it was a fun time, and I enjoyed being there.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »
I'm seeing plenty of good reviews for the Touhou panel. How was it presented, and with what sort of time and room space were the panelists working?

We asked for a bigger room, but we got a smaller one instead =/

It was a discussion panel, just like last year. Not enough chairs once again, and apparently the time was once again screwed over because of people trying to make the 12 noon check out time, and our panel was at 11 =/

But regardless of that, everyone still had a great time, and honestly I have to thank the participants once again for being so active with it. It was unbelievable, and I'm glad the 4 of us panelists thought up of making a Touhou shmup make up panel right after the original panel (since it didn't happen on Saturday). Not only did we get shmups played, but even soku and Astral selling off his touhou merch there too, so it was all good and a good way for everyone to meet up and talk with each other.

All in all, despite the negatives, the positives from it completely made it amazing.

Hopefully Chibity will upload the video of the entire panel today like she did last year. She was at the front and I even waved at it xD
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:43:07 PM by Gpop »

Kommisar

• 8 Bit Chef
  • Jewfro
    • Bluexoon
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »
Only stayed for half the pannel cuz we had to leave back home, but out of all the other pannels we visited it was the only one that was legitimately interesting and on-topic lmao. Good job guys. Room was bigger than last year, but still not enough it seems. This is good news for Touhou in Toronto, means there's a dumpload of interest. Hopefully next year it'll be like last time on a friday so we're not caught on a late sunday morning when erryone's gone or leaving haha.

also mad props for setting up pop'n :3 hope your games weren't too badly water damaged, that was of poor taste.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:19:17 PM by Kommisar »
spellcheck lol

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »
I'm a day late, but awsome panel guys, thx for all the fun!
This year, the panel seemed to be 'more controlled' for some reason... I dunno why.
Perhaps it was because the people of the con kept on threatening to kick people out?
Well, what ever the reason was, I hope everybody had fun.

Speaking of cosplays, there were really good touhou cosplayers this year too;
Some that remain engraved in my mind are Medicine, Alice, Koishi, Momiji, and the group with Byakuren, Murasa, and Kogasa
and the Patchouli I saw in the dealers room... I need to say you had good taste in doujins.

Had fun at the gaming meet afterwards too, believe it or not it was my first time to play against somebody in Tensoku.
Now I know I need to get back at using Tenshi so I could do better next year....

...and yet again my stack of doujins increase....

I'm scared to think what my pile would've looked like by now if there had been more UFO doujins....

Kommisar

• 8 Bit Chef
  • Jewfro
    • Bluexoon
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »
man that guy who came in all the time was an asshole lmao
spellcheck lol

« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »
I'm guessing that was Fingers? :V

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
man that guy who came in all the time was an asshole lmao

Was he kinda fat and white? And somewhat bald?

That's fingers :V but I doubt he'd come to a panel when there's fuckload others around :V

Grimoire

• nope.jpg
  • brb gensokyo
    • ~ Wondrous Children ~
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:36 PM »
Wait wait WAIT

Hold on

WERE YOU THE KOISHI COSPLAYER?

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
you weren't the guy who was like obsessed with her, were you?  :3

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2011, 11:05:49 PM »
you weren't the guy who was like obsessed with her, were you?  :3

Haha, well I think my avatar and siggy might give that away :ohdear:

xD sorry bout that though lol. But honestly, I'm more interested in talking to you because that guy you talked to told me about your interest in panelling. I might need some extra hands next year actually x.x

Grimoire

• nope.jpg
  • brb gensokyo
    • ~ Wondrous Children ~
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »
Haha, well I think my avatar and siggy might give that away :ohdear:

xD sorry bout that though lol. But honestly, I'm more interested in talking to you because that guy you talked to told me about your interest in panelling. I might need some extra hands next year actually x.x
Haha yeah he told me because I guess one of the panellists didn't say much. I'd be more than happy the help out. I could honestly talk about Touhou until my face went blue haha. I also mentioned that if we actually get a longer time slot, that we could maybe talk about Touhou cosplay and art maybe? Because I think last year there was no mention of either :P

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »
Was he kinda fat and white? And somewhat bald?

That's fingers :V but I doubt he'd come to a panel when there's fuckload others around :V
No it was a skinny white guy  :derp:

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »
No it was a skinny white guy  :derp:

Oh I have no idea then. I just remember Fingers from last year I saw him