Author Topic: Anime Boston April 22-24, 2011: Pahting is such sweet sahraw, n'um'sayin'  (Read 19647 times)

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
So I'm tellin' yah Boston's havin' this convention, right, fah those anime kids 'n whatnot.  Now I tell yah I ain't nevah been no shill fah nobody, but this Anime Boston thing?  Fuckin' brilliant's what't is.  Now fahst of all it's in the Back Bay, home of Atlantic Fish Co, Bukowski's Tavahn, 'n summa' th' only grocery stahs in Mass that sells liquah.  'N if that ain't 'nough for yah, these boys got Mari Iijima (a-k-a Lynn fuckin' Minmay), 'n Stereopony, 'n I heah they even got GIRUGAMESH.  Serious shit, knowwha'msayin'?  Plus games, 'n aht, 'n a'course... some wicked cute cosplayahs.

---

Pictures And Other Graphical Memorializations

Here's the final part of the photo shoot with everyone in it. Lots of cosplayers, so it took a couple of pictures to get them all! (People were suppose to try and do a pose that their character would never do)

Sup.

(full album here)

My picts here.

Note:  Some were meant to be 'shopped together into a mosaic, I guess I'll do it at some point.

WHAT DID U CALL ME

I loved, loved loved the Touhou panel and the Saturday photoshoot. I mean it when I say they were some of the coolest moments of my life. Great work to those who ran them! Very entertaining and I learned more about Touhou, which is awesome.

I think I have over 30gb of Touhou-related material, including the weekend's photoshoots, on my computer.

Here are the photos my friend took and I put on flickr.
(I was the brunette Suwako with the plush doll.)

Oh! I really loved how at the photoshoot, at one point, when the "5 4 3 2 1" countdown to an end of scene ended at "1", the Iku cosplayer played the defeat/hit sound clip sound effect at "1." Perfect perfect.

But now, because of the hat, it feels like I'm still wearing it right now because it's been on there for so long...

Thank you! Glad you're glad.  :D

I uploaded the videos, here is the clip of Subterranean Animism and then the Touhou Castlevania playing.

Male Patchu here!

The Touhou base this year was great, especially on Saturday! And of course, the panel was awesome as well.

Some of the cosplayers were really cute/creative, like the Rumia.

Holy crap, she was like as awesome as the real thing. I'm a huge Rumia fan.

Also, the Koishi with the Freud book, that one was just EPIC.
I loved the guy that brought in those frog jellies too.

I was really caught off by the black Marisa with the top hat, that was pretty awesome.

Scored me a Yoshika mug from the Artist's Alley. I think I got most of my Touhou stuff from there.

Well, I did get this pack of cards for a Chinese Touhou card game, comes with a neat spell counter and everything.

Ohoh, and here's my picture collection of what I got from the photoshoots.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1507546968635.2041863.1233121324&l=b5ebeb44ad

I'm already looking towards next year for the con. I wanted to work on voice and cosplay this year but I got lazy. Maybe I'll do Yoshika.

Heya!  Gensokyo Bus Driver here.  I hereby add pics (and questionable camera skills) to the mix.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150556569275655.673425.639675654&l=bc5f50f487

To sum up my experience at Anime Boston is to pretty much echo the praise that others have already mentioned.  That said, I'm doin' it anyway.

- INCREDIBLE panel, you guys.  It's gotten better every year, and this was the best one yet. 
 - Huge.  Cosplayer.  Turnout.  Holy frijoles.  Saturday kind of blew my mind a little.  I thank each and every one of you for it.  It was a great time.
 - Glad someone liked the frog joke.  Best five bucks I ever spent on Gummi Frogs. 
 - After the photoshoots were over, I thought of like half a dozen stupid/brilliant ideas for pictures.  I'm saving them for next con.  Beware...and make sure there's a Tewi around.   :derp:
 - I'm never giving up my Bus Driver jacket (NEVER I TELL YOU, NEVER!!), but now that there's a Kyonshi Touhou...I may have to consider some things. 

So I'll go poke around here a bit now and do my best to not noob it up.  Mahalo.

http://s854.photobucket.com/albums/ab108/MediumSoda/Anime%20Boston%202011/
Finally decided to upload my photos!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:32:53 AM by Bad Appellant!! »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Re: Anime Boston April 22-24, 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:56:59 PM »
I'm afraid I won't be able to make it there.  I won't get any real time off until ACEN, since my vacation request for that weekend off just got approved.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:36:04 AM »
I just preregistered.  =<

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:43:50 AM »
Panel is Saturday evening at 7, which means it won't conflict with the Masq as much (if at all) but also means it's likely to run into Bad Anime Bad, which makes me Sad Yuugi Sad.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 04:52:05 AM »
I'm terribly sorry, but this is a topic involving Boston. It's a city with nearly 400 years of tradition that stand proudly as a center for culture, the arts, education, science, medicine, and even sports. While you've highlighted this rather well, it is still lacking. Hence, the subject should be "Anime Boston April 22-24, 2011: Let's get this pahty stahted".

Panel is Saturday evening at 7, which means it won't conflict with the Masq as much (if at all) but also means it's likely to run into Bad Anime Bad, which makes me Sad Yuugi Sad.
The line for the masq typically starts Friday, while the masq itself lasts until the 4th of July. Trust me, I talked myself into going to one. BAB usually starts at 9, and the place is packed by 8:30, so yeah. Standing room, anyone?

Also things will probably be a bit better this year in terms of a room. Coming in Friday morning has been stressful in the past, and precious hang-out time is squandered. The Marriott is connected by skybridge to the Prudential mall, making it a lot of fun to traverse the entire mall in costume. If the interest is still there, Thursday would be a great time to go to the Eagle's Den, though I won't be eating any portion of food that wants to leave my body more than I want it in there. The T would make it quick and readily accessible via the green line.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:58:57 AM »
I'm actually thinking Friday night for Eagle's Deli. Tim wants to go, and we'll have been able to get in contact with him by then.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Quad City QBs

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 05:19:50 AM »
I'm terribly sorry, but this is a topic involving Boston. It's a city with nearly 400 years of tradition that stand proudly as a center for culture, the arts, education, science, medicine, and even sports. While you've highlighted this rather well, it is still lacking. Hence, the subject should be "Anime Boston April 22-24, 2011: Let's get this pahty stahted".

ya hahpy now bub

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

Reddyne

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »
Right! Eagles DELI is indeed right off the green line's C train's (I'm STILL not sure if that's the proper way to refer to it) final stop. Closing is at 10, so whatever happens we should plan accordingly.
ya hahpy now bub
Just as happy as if I had Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast before spending the entire day at Quincy Market and topping it off by watching the Sawks beat the Yanks.

Re: Anime Boston April 22-24, 2011: Pahty Hahd
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 07:45:38 PM »
Ugh, I'm obligated to do something else that weekend... >_<

Mima-sama

• What are you doing in that shrine you are not a god
  • You are too cool to be a god anyway :|
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
Oh god I want to go, I hate my school schedule so much. :(

Reddyne

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 12:33:46 AM »
Oh god I want to go, I hate my school schedule so much. :(
DAMMIT. You realize that I incorporated squat thrusts into my workout so that when Team Rocket blasts off again I wouldn't be so pathetic? Oh well, on to the ACen thread.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 12:40:09 AM »
DAMMIT. You realize that I incorporated squat thrusts into my workout so that when Team Rocket blasts off again I wouldn't be so pathetic? Oh well, on to the ACen thread.
I LOLed IRL.

Mima-sama

• What are you doing in that shrine you are not a god
  • You are too cool to be a god anyway :|
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 12:45:41 AM »

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa dammit!

I'll definitely be able to take all of my stuff with me to ACen at least. :blush:

Quad City QBs

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 02:17:16 PM »
I've been looking forward to anime boston since last year, and this year it'll land during April vacation! Hope to see some of you guys there, I'll be the male Aya cosplayer (very crappy cosplay, but hopefully recognizable) hanging out with the guy cosplaying as Hayate from Hayate the Combat Butler.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 04:52:09 PM »
You're cosplaying Aya and you couldn't make him do a cosplay fusion and become Hatate the Combat Butler?
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »
You're cosplaying Aya and you couldn't make him do a cosplay fusion and become Hatate the Combat Butler?
THAT IS FREAKIN BRILLIANT!

Reddyne

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »
Friendly bump for relevance. The schedule is now up. Touhou panel is apparently on Friday at 7. This frees up BA,B! but might mess up other things for parties interested. Plan accordingly!

Ah, another year of guests I guess I just can't get excited about. Maybe I was just spoiled on the Pillows and VGO.

I'll be showin' off Meiling most of the time. Mostly because I LOVE HOW IT TURNED OUT and I'm debuting it there. I'll probably bring a backup, but I'm just not sure which.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 01:42:28 AM »
Hey, Comic-Z was gracious enough to lend me some table space.  138D at the Artist's Alley, get yer bondage

Quad City QBs

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 07:11:13 PM »
Last day to prereg.  Also, I'll be running a little late on Friday, so I may not see a lot of you till the Touhou panel.

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 03:08:15 AM »
This thing is tomorrow and no one has posted anything? For shame people FOR SHAME

Well, hope I'll get to see whoever is going tomorrow. My badge name will be Eman, doubt that will be much help though unless you're weird and look at EVERYONE'S badge name  :V

Quad City QBs

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 03:56:30 AM »
Thanks all who attended the Touhou panel.  Don't miss the group photoshoot tomorrow (Saturday) at noon, Hynes 3rd floor South Lobby(?)

And don't forget to visit me and Comic at Artists' Alley 138D.  We're between the handicrafts girl and the actual artist with a buttload of prints.

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 04:36:56 AM »
The touhou panel was great, lots of funny moments. And also everyone else made me realize how inferior my cosplay was  :derp:

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 09:54:46 PM »
Any pictures yet?  MJP showed me one from I guess someone's Twitter and  want mooooooore to tide me over until Otakon :D

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 02:12:37 AM »
Here's the final part of the photo shoot with everyone in it. Lots of cosplayers, so it took a couple of pictures to get them all! (People were suppose to try and do a pose that their character would never do)

Quad City QBs

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 05:21:19 AM »
Sup.

(full album here)

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 02:25:23 AM »
My picts here.

Note:  Some were meant to be 'shopped together into a mosaic, I guess I'll do it at some point.

WHAT DID U CALL ME
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:39:12 AM by Momiji »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 02:45:57 AM »
I would like to think I sold that cross like a champ.

Reddyne

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 04:24:12 AM »
Sooooo, yeah. AB:

• To compliment the great public transport, Boston is a spectacular walking city. It's a delight to travel around on foot. It is also an incredibly diverse place, which lies in stark contrast to where I live.
  • I heavily prefer to refer to people by their first names instead of their internet names because I prefer people rather than to some sterile avatar or an internet self, but if nick just works, why bother? Momi's too fun to say anyway.
  • I know some real wacky people. Man, the stories.
  • Get out of here, stalker!
  • Meiling is my new favorite costume for a multitude of reasons. Included is that the costume collects a lot of positive attention (general attention whoring will never make it to that list). Not included is trying to eat in a long wig.
  • How's walking everywhere in geta, my friends? Honestly, I felt sorry for you considering how easy I had it. :<
  • A fellow biomedical engineer saves the day for the panel. We love to be there for people.
  • The panel has again proven to be a great way to get over my fear of speaking in public. While circumstances would vary greatly, I found myself to be so mentally distraught about talking with an audience I would feel out-and-out panic prior to presentations to the point it would start to affect my physical health. I got a little better naturally, but the panel has been comforting because I can screw up as much as I need to while still having people want to follow me and not dismiss me as an utter failure simply because I mispronounced a word I only read in a book once.  I still have trouble with ad-libbing which is seriously botching my sense of humor for these things, but I think that will become easier with time.
  • Thank you for indulging such a guilty pleasure of mine, Copacetic. It's still quite rare for me to get such a positive response. Going hand-in-hand with the public speaking thing, striking up conversations with people or requesting something is still rough for me. Besides, look at how cute she is. x.x
  • I waited 30 minutes past the beginning of the Crazy Anime Deaths panel while dying of thirst. It was so worth it.
  • The second Touhou photoshoot was indeed absolutely bonklers in terms of attendance and the quality of the attendees.
  • The Eagle's Challenge was incredible. The divination of Mima's return has occurred through the consumption of enough biodiesel grease to fuel a car from Boston to Worcester.
  • Going nuts with stuff to do is great. Sitting around with nothing to do is great too.
  • Please keep your clothes on Miss Yucari.
  • I am so glad to see people whom I haven't seen in a full year. I was so glad that an old group of friends has managed to stick together and still keep me in high regard despite us drifting apart.
  • The dichotomy between what I was leaving and what I was returning to makes the T platform leaving Boston one of the saddest locations I've ever been to. It didn't help that the trolley was so slow to arrive.

Juhani

• Jedi catgirl
  • Pelipper
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »
I loved, loved loved the Touhou panel and the Saturday photoshoot. I mean it when I say they were some of the coolest moments of my life. Great work to those who ran them! Very entertaining and I learned more about Touhou, which is awesome.

I think I have over 30gb of Touhou-related material, including the weekend's photoshoots, on my computer.

Here are the photos my friend took and I put on flickr.
(I was the brunette Suwako with the plush doll.)

Oh! I really loved how at the photoshoot, at one point, when the "5 4 3 2 1" countdown to an end of scene ended at "1", the Iku cosplayer played the defeat/hit sound clip sound effect at "1." Perfect perfect.

But now, because of the hat, it feels like I'm still wearing it right now because it's been on there for so long...

EDIT 2013: Made a new Flickr account solely for AB stuff and threw it up there.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:02:30 AM by Juhani »