Author Topic: Anime Expo 2011 (get hype!)  (Read 23040 times)

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
Anime Expo 2011 (get hype!)
« on: June 30, 2011, 04:01:17 AM »
New thread. Old one is locked and can be viewed here.

Going with 2 friends Saturday and Sunday. Will probably stay for the duration of the Touhou cosplay gathering: Saturday, 1 PM, West Hall. I think I'll be walking around in my ORLY YA RLY shirt and blue jeans. Expect lots of pictures. Gonna see the Kalafina concert and hyping myself up with youtube clips.

Here's hoping to a good weekend.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
Re: Anime Expo 2011 (get hype!)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 04:44:36 AM »
The Vocaloid concert is Saturday, is anyone going?  More importantly, is anyone going that has seen the 39's Giving Day concert?

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 05:28:41 AM »
Yes, yes, yes, :3

Let's meet up in the Touhou Cosplay section. Because I'm most likely going to be lost.

pineyappled

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:10:14 AM »
GDI, missing Touhou gathering. I'll be there on the last two days jetlagged as hell.

Gramity

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 11:18:14 PM »
The Vocaloid concert is Saturday, is anyone going?  More importantly, is anyone going that has seen the 39's Giving Day concert?

damn I would go if I could and yes I have that blue-ray at home :) very pleasant

Formless God

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »
Going on the second day
Spoiler:
no pre-registration, no tickets, nothing :ohdear:
What are the chances of surviving AX ... alone ? :V And is it dangerous outside of the site ?

Mocking Morning

• Tonight We Stand In Circles!
  • DHS Danmaku Inspector
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 02:26:33 AM »
Going on the second day
Spoiler:
no pre-registration, no tickets, nothing :ohdear:
What are the chances of surviving AX ... alone ? :V And is it dangerous outside of the site ?

Just practice basic street smarts (not flashing money/stuff you bought at the con, etc...) and you'll be fine.
How many times have you woken up and asked yourself: What the hell am I doing?
Today, your plane did not blow up thanks to the cooperation of Touhou Girls and TSA Officers.

Kiro

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »
I'm hearing a friend who picked up badges on Thursday was able to buy some Miku tickets for $40. So who knows if we can get more.

We're actually going to get badges now and try to hit up the Kalafina panel at noon.

Formless God

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 06:21:16 PM »
$40
Why is that ? They say on-site purchase is only $20 (assuming your friend bought it on Day 0).

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 12:21:01 AM »
Going Sat/Sun. Will be wearing my Kyubey tie (that is, a slick black-red Robert Talbott tie with a QB pin on it)

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 12:26:54 AM »
Just going to be there for Saturday. Seeing both concerts. Gotta get up early tomorrow...

And then on Sunday it's back to Anaheim for the SCANDAL CONCERT at AM2Con, which was really small and cool. Met a neat touhou artist....

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 05:20:18 AM »
I'll be there in the "Touhou Project" shirt I just bought. Just look for someone with glasses and a ponytail.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 06:01:39 AM »
Oh, and slam jams will be happening at the Hen Da Ne booth in the dealer's room

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 06:16:25 AM »
Ugh, I spent an hour at that booth. I didn't even buy anything.

Kiro

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 06:23:55 AM »
They opened up a new section for the Miku concert which is where the new $40 priced tickets came from. We went and bought a set for ourselves. Could be worse; we heard scalpers were selling some tickets in the 3 digits.

Fuck these long pre-reg lines (waited 1.5 hours) and apparently Thursday (Day 0) was just as bad. The gaming room is also sad as fuck; no arcade cabinets at all. Seriously lame. And I did find out there's a Touhou panel on Sunday but all the random talk I hear about it is that it will be a very simplistic introduction to Touhou. I'll see if I can attend it or not.

I'm debating whether to buy one of those Madoka thermos mugs. Any vendor selling it cheaper for $30? I only got through about half the exhibit hall.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 06:29:42 AM »
I got there on Thursday 20 minutes early. I waited 3 and half hours before I got the badge, and the first 2 hours was just standing while waiting for the OTHER line to go in first.

Formless God

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 06:52:15 AM »
asdsafdsgafdf
And I was planning to go at noon (12pm~1pm) tomorrow. Are there still gonna be lines at that point ? I don't want to miss the Touhou gathering
Spoiler:
which happens to take place around the time I arrive
And looks like I won't be seeing Miku this year.

Kiro

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »
And I was planning to go at noon (12pm~1pm) tomorrow. Are there still gonna be lines at that point ? I don't want to miss the Touhou gathering
Spoiler:
which happens to take place around the time I arrive

There will probably still be lines for pre-registration. There actually probably won't be lines for at-con registration which seems counter intuitive. If you register onsite, you might get your badge within 10 minutes. Don't forget to bring some water.

You don't need the badge to see the Touhou gathering because it'll be in the open hallways of West Hall from the looks of it. People can wander around there whether they have a badge or not. You need the badge to get into the Exhibit Hall, panels, and other major events.

Check for Miku tickets at the West Hall ticketing booth after you get a badge. It's possible they'll still have some tickets left as it wasn't widely known that there were a new batch of tickets available.

Formless God

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 03:32:23 AM »
Both concerts sold out. Could only grab some CiLR and Galuda 2 in the Exhibit Hall. Feels batman. There goes a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 06:07:46 AM »
That. Was. Amazing.
 :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :*

Thanks Kiro, that was a great time together.

The Kalafina concert was very much beyond expectations, but the Miku concert was just spectacular.

pineyappled

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 06:11:16 AM »
Everything good was today...
Anyone going again tomorrow?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 06:36:48 AM »
but the Miku concert was just spectacular.
How was it different from the 39s Giving Day concert?

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 06:39:55 AM »
1) I wasn't at the 39s Giving Day concert
2) It's LA, so of course the lighting and sound had to be fucked up
3) No メルト :( :( :( :( :(
4) Holy fuck, seeing the screen in RL is amazing. Seriously looked like she was there.
5) It's US, so the crown interaction was completely different. I think I was the only one screaming "En-co-re"
6) They added a strings section to the band

Quad City QBs

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 07:45:20 AM »
Both concerts were fantastic. Completely worth having to run 1.5 miles home to leave my bag with the camera and everything, and also the $10 Stellas at Club Nokia.

Touhou photoshoot pics are here, more coming tomorrow.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 08:13:39 AM »
1) I wasn't at the 39s Giving Day concert
Wasn't thinking you were, but I was assuming that you'd seen the video like many others have.  I'm interested in how many songs were removed and what songs/costumes (if any) were added.

This is for anyone that was there btw

Kiro

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 08:28:23 AM »
Met Mr. Bob and PX. Was good times talking it up. The Touhou gathering was a bit short overall, nothing too unique costume wise except for the Stormtrooper Reimu. I'll get those pics up in a few days. PX also knows how to dance CPMC and I have video proof of it too.  :V

Kalafina concert was unbelievable. The sequence of songs #6-9: Magia, Sprinter, Kyrie, and Ongaku was amazing. They were really fun and engaging and definitely worth seeing.

The Miku concert was good too. Not really a huge Miku fan, but the hologram setup was decent. Even from a distance, Miku's movements were pretty smooth and realistic enough looking. She even had shadows on her clothes. The crowd was totally amped up for this concert, glowsticks everywhere all the time. The guest Vocaloid appearances were a nice touch too. The camera work was poor; too much screentime for the accompanying band and orchestra although you had to feel for them as they really didn't get a break from playing.

Vic: I haven't seen the 39s concert so I can't make comparisons on that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:31:48 AM by Kiro »

Tired/Warm

• Apostatical Verdant Eudaemonaic
  • This is my danmaku.
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »
... Ah, you have no idea how unfathomably jealous I am. ;) Seriously though, this sounds incredible. Kalafina is one of my go-to thinking musics, besides my weird collection of classical music. And Touhou arranges, ahahah!

Those pics make it look so fun and full of life - I'm glad to see people having fun and meeting other people. One of these days, I'll definitely get to a convention. Until then, thanks for reporting back like this - for those of us newbies/folks who couldn't attend, it's really nice to have thoughts and experiences. And again - this is just cool. A question - was it pretty crowded/hard to get to the various events? I hear a lot of stories of people having to rush around to be almost in two places at once, so I'm curious if a real con is like that.

Awesome sig courtesy of Squawkers23! Thanks!

Oh, you're looking for words? My writing is here.
Do you remember me? I also remember you - and though we haven't met in so many days, I still know you and love your memories. If you stumbled upon this - good luck, in whatever you might do.

Kiro

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 08:44:44 AM »
A question - was it pretty crowded/hard to get to the various events? I hear a lot of stories of people having to rush around to be almost in two places at once, so I'm curious if a real con is like that.

Sometimes. There's a lot of incomplete information at times. For instance, the Kalafina concert was in Club Nokia while the Miku concert was in the Nokia Theatre and they are different venues. Also, there wasn't enough of an advance warning that no cameras would be allowed for the Kalafina concert. So like Maullar, I also had to run to my car to drop off my camera.

More specifically to your question, major events usually are separate from each other (concerts, AMV contest, masquerade) with plenty of time to get to them all. It's minor events like certain industry panels, guest panels, autograph signings, and cosplay gatherings that might conflict with each other or with the main events. Also, there are plenty of times where panels run over the time limit which delays the next panel's start time. Or the lines for certain events can be ridiculously long and you might even get cut off at the end. All in all, there's some juggling to do. Which is why it's good to have friends who will help stand in line for you as well.

Tired/Warm

• Apostatical Verdant Eudaemonaic
  • This is my danmaku.
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »
Noooo! My weakness is coordinating stuff in the real world! If I end up having to run around a lot, I'll get winded and just slow everyone down! They'll have to soldier on without me - there's no other way.  :wat: Er, wait a sec, what am I even going on about..? Heh. Thank you for answering my question - I'm not quite sure why the cameras weren't allowed, though... Do people take pictures/film of the event and then sell it? I'd imagine most such stuff is for personal use. Is it a good idea to decide uses for a group beforehand? Like, so-and-so will go get merchandise, another person will get tickets (or is there one ticket for most non-musical events), another'll take care of arrangements..?

And this might sound weird - but I think even dealing with that rush sounds a little fun if you have friends alongside you. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic for something I'm not experiencing. Not nostalgic, fauxsolgic..? Well, something like that.

Awesome sig courtesy of Squawkers23! Thanks!

Oh, you're looking for words? My writing is here.
Do you remember me? I also remember you - and though we haven't met in so many days, I still know you and love your memories. If you stumbled upon this - good luck, in whatever you might do.

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »
Anyone going again tomorrow?
I would if I could. There is a lot of stuff I still want to buy, but couldn't with me having to rush out to two concerts.

But I have a concert at another con I have to go to now -_-