Author Topic: I'm gonna try to make fried chicken  (Read 8089 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: I'm gonna try to make fried chicken
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 02:55:33 PM »
Oh god I take back the dry comment, the thing is so juicy in the middle it's falling apart on my fork.  I think if I had spiced the frying oil a bit this would be like losing your virginity.

The recipe recommended bacon grease but I didn't have any on me and frying bacon up just to get the grease seemed dumb at the time.  I can only imagine how it would have turned out if I had flavored the oil.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:57:33 PM by TheⓈtupidOne »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 02:58:23 PM »
Noice.  Was the chicken fridge temp or room temp when you breaded it?  I wanna know in case I ever wanna try this recipe.

Matsuri

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 02:59:05 PM »
Kinda tempted to make the picture of that chicken my desktop wallpaper.

EDIT: Eh, kinda blurry. *goes back to previous Kiki's Delivery Service desktop*
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:00:56 PM by Matsuri »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 03:00:42 PM »
Fridge temp or close to it.  I let it sit out a little bit as the oil warmed up and I prepped the rest of it, but it was still pretty cold when I tossed it in.  Definitely cut it into thinner pieces than I did as I did crisp the edge a bit much trying to cook the whole thing through.

Ahahahaha this thing is so juicy I squirted oil onto my neck cutting into it.  This thing is AMAZING.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 03:01:25 PM »
Flavoring the oil might not have done much... the spices work best in the breading process.  Although if you had an infused oil to cook with, now that would be tits. 

See, triangles, this is why I hung on to all that grease from the bacon I made a while ago!   :P

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »
Yeah the only thing I added to the breading was salt and pepper and a LITTLE cayenne pepper.  Probably should have put a bit more pepper and maybe a little garlic too as I really don't taste much other than what the Crisco gave.

On the oil thing, I was thinking it'd infuse more flavor into the interior if I spiced the oil a bit.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:04:51 PM by TheⓈtupidOne »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 03:05:57 PM »
What other oils would you recommend frying with?  All I had was canola and Crisco on hand (e: and I just found some olive oil I guess), but I'd love to try something more exotic and flavorful.

I know my dad uses peanut oil when we fry turkeys at Thanksgiving.

Matsuri

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »
Peanut oil sounds good, though I wouldn't call that 'exotic' :P

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 03:08:57 PM »
=P

I know you can literally fry with anything, but I'd have no idea how say, chicken fried in coconut oil would come out vs frying in something more traditional like canola or peanut.

Or hell, something like pure animal fat.

Matsuri

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 03:10:57 PM »
Coconut oil would be interesting. Maybe if you used some coconut as a coating, too-- just a little for flavor and texture.

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 03:11:26 PM »
If you're going to fry with extra virgin olive oil you gotta have a candy thermometer and keep it as hot as you can without scorching the oil.  That's very easy to do and I wouldn't recommend EVOO for general frying use.

I think what you can do to infuse an oil is to take whatever you plan to infuse it with - garlic, rosemary, any dried spice, really (fresh won't work) is to mix in the infusion and heat the olive oil over a low flame for about 15-20 minutes.  I have to doublecheck that method and number because I'm not 100% sure on it.

If you have the time, just let it infuse in a closed bottle for a few months. 

One thing I would recommend: if you're going to make an infused oil, I wouldn't even bother with using anything other than a very good quality EVOO.  Borges is amazing if you can get it.  Don't even bother with the big brand Italian EVOOs.  Spanish might be your best bet at a local grocer.  The options expand if you order it online, but unless you have the opportunity to taste it, I would just go with as good a quality as you can get your hands on.

If you can't find 'em, just use whatever EVOO you can find.  Use only EVOO. 

Traditionally, though, Matsuri has it - peanut oil is used for frying most things.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »
Yeah I figured peanut oil was the common frying oil but lacking it on hand I defaulted to Crisco.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »
Anyways, chicken was amazing, will try again and experiment with spices (oh god Thai fried chicken :Q)  And my mom is going to get a surprise at work with the other piece.

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Anyways, chicken was amazing, will try again and experiment with spices (oh god Thai fried chicken :Q)  And my mom is going to get a surprise at work with the other piece.

TSO, if we pay for your airfare, will you crash on our couch and cook our lunches?  D:

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 03:29:35 PM »
Maybe :V

I've honestly never really cooked much, mostly because of Dad enforcing the typical gender stereotype.  But I really want to learn and I'm using my freetime more to be experimental and try it out.  I seem to have a pretty good taste for things at least :T

Srsly, I would love to be someone's trophy waifu who just sits at home and cleans and cooks and watches soaps all day :B
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:35:10 PM by TheⓈtupidOne »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2009, 03:41:04 PM »
Dammit I am late to the cooking party. =|

Well, I would have wished you luck and humiliating defeat to your enemies if I were here on time. Glad your chickens came out well!

Greyn

• Microwaving, please wait.
  • Berninghousn
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 03:42:29 PM »
Maybe :V

I've honestly never really cooked much, mostly because of Dad enforcing the typical gender stereotype.  But I really want to learn and I'm using my freetime more to be experimental and try it out.  I seem to have a pretty good taste for things at least :T

Srsly, I would love to be someone's trophy waifu who just sits at home and cleans and cooks and watches soaps all day :B

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 03:43:55 PM »
I don't like bonbons though D:

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
We will teach you to like bonbons.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »
Damn, this topic somewhat reminds me of that failed blueberry pancake topic.
but it was a success this time so yeah.

I forgot to say chicken taste best when sauteed
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »
I forgot to say chicken taste best when sauteed

Marinated then grilled outside motherfucker

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »
TONS OF CALORIES PORKY-SIR
WHERE ARE YOUR CELERY AND LETTUCE?
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2009, 05:34:20 PM »
Jesus Christ never fry with extra virgin olive oil unless you want it to taste like extra virgin olive oil. That's why it's best with relatively flavorless things like mushrooms.

I like sunflower oil best for frying chicken. It has a rich, creamy flavor to it that goes well with the meat.

Watching this brought back memories of when I used to make spiced chicken fingers at home. Might post that recipe if anyone's interested.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

dustyjo

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2009, 06:18:26 PM »
Dammit I'm hungry now