Author Topic: Len'en Project by JynX? (First 3 games updated)  (Read 259079 times)

Len'en Project by JynX? (First 3 games updated)
« on: September 24, 2013, 06:36:58 PM »
<Karisa> I've been updating the thread title periodically. If you think it needs to be adjusted, feel free to PM me.
Len'en series:
鏈縁蛇叢釼 〜 Earthen Miraculous Sword
鏈縁旡現里 〜 Evanescent Existence
鏈縁霊烈傳 ~ Reactivate Majestical Imperial
連縁 天影戦記 ~ Brilliant Pagoda or Haze Castle

=======

so yeah, look what i found: http://mugenri.blog.shinobi.jp/
didn't think he'd actually make a game (or two in this case), so i guess the guy IS a programmer as well as an artist.

for those who don't know JynX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GVrMDW4dbw he usually does these sweet remasters of PC-98 games and such and posts them usually around April fools day and Christmas time, but it seems this time we actually have a game to look forward to!

Check out the wiki entry for more in-depth details! http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Len%27en_Project (feel free to help contribute!)

few random pics:

P.S. I've already played through both game a few times on normal, and I've got to say the first one so far is my favorite for some reason (third stage is so great), but yeah, just posted this here to hopefully get it out there to the public and maybe see some cool 1ccs on Youtube of this Demo!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:49:32 AM by Karisa »

That's really surprising that he decided to make an actual public game this time :)
But the difficulty level of these games is quite... It reminds me how I played my first Touhou game but I think I fail ever more this time.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:16:33 PM by Vectorfish »
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

yeah, the difficult is pretty insane even on normal.

since I'm pretty much exclusively playing the first one for now, I've noticed from the backgrounds that there seems to be somewhat of an ocean theme going on. I also love the rainbow-like effect when you shoot at enemies.

Oh wow, that's pretty cool.  I'll have to try these out later.  Maybe it's a sign he'll eventually release the LLS/MS remakes?  Maybe?  Probably not...

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
Well, that explains why those LLS/MS remake videos had sidebars that were unnecessarily different from the original games (or official Windows Touhou): the engine already existed for these.

I tried the first game. It's got some nifty and fun little bullet patterns in it, though nothing groundbreaking. Stages are pretty bad streaming marathons and scoring is about bombing when lots of bullets are on screen. There's hardly any sense in PoC'ing because items aren't really worth all that much and until things have been properly memorized you'll probably end up using bombs when caught in bad situations trying to PoC. Bombs that could've been spent a lot better on getting score on bullet heavy attacks later on.

Some of the spellcards seem a bit on the questionable side design wise but I have only played it through three times so I can't say anything for certain yet. There are still some attacks that I don't know how to approach though. I have beaten this demo on Normal and tried Hard mode. Had a decent time playing it but it doesn't seem very good. I like the stage 3 boss loli though. That hat.

I did also try the second game but there was something strange going on with the bombing so i decided to drop it.

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
First Ido and now Jynx?

what if ZUN retired after making TH15 while the fans will still continue making Touhou fan-made games?
i`m currently downloading the game.

I like the stage 3 boss loli though.
Aren't all characters actually boys?
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

Flan27

• I like bullets.
I did also try the second game but there was something strange going on with the bombing so i decided to drop it.
Bombing while unfocused will activate a special bomb called a "flash bomb", but only if you have that gauge on the left filled, otherwise it will do nothing.  It's pretty dumb, I wish it was assigned to the C button instead.

Aren't all characters actually boys?
I don't think all of them are, but possibly some of them.  There were a few who reffered to themselves as "boku", but then I again that doesn't really mean a whole lot.

I've become pretty excited after finding out about these games.  It's great that we're finally able to play some of JynX's stuff.  The story seems quite interesting this time too.  I've been working on covering this on the wiki, and although they're in a very early state the pages already have some good information.   If you want to know more about these games, feel free to check them out (and contribute if you're able~)

Here's a link: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Len%27en_Project
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Thank a ton Flan! Glad someone took the Initiative!

I can probably get some time to play tomorrow and hopefully contribute to this, since I'm super interested in what the final releases might have in store for us. Since we know the guy can make games now, I'm actually curious whether or not he'll actually release those PC-98 Remasters as actual games. Eh, you can only hope :P

Edit: added link to the OP.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:07:22 AM by Eric »

I don't think all of them are, but possibly some of them.  There were a few who reffered to themselves as "boku", but then I again that doesn't really mean a whole lot.
Well, I don't know Japanese so I can only guess by looking at their appearance which is quite boyish.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
Well I didn't have time to play these games yet but if the romanized project name isn't wrote on the blog I think that it should be wrote as "Ren'en" since it is a Japanese word.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Flan27

• I like bullets.
Well I didn't have time to play these games yet but if the romanized project name isn't wrote on the blog I think that it should be wrote as "Ren'en" since it is a Japanese word.
The initials are Le, as seen in the file names.  If JynX say it's an L, then it's an L.

Thank a ton Flan! Glad someone took the Initiative!
I'm glad it's appreciated!  Here's to hoping we can make a good English resource for these games.

Flan27

• I like bullets.
The other day I contacted JynX (!) and he very kindly provided me with a lot of the text from the games.  I'm pretty happy to be talking to him, he had good things to say about the wiki and about my translations. :3  After AWA and everything too, I feel like the wiki is becoming more well known even in Japan, so I'm very excited about the communities reaching out to each other a bit more.

If you go the wiki now, you'll see that most of the text from the games is there, with some of it translated.  I've yet to get the spell card names, so I'm going to ask JynX about it.  I think that that's really important, especially since there are so many spell cards.  (Actually, I think the length of the battles in the game is a bit detracting, but some people probably like them.  *rambling* :V)

And sorry about the double post!  I think it's pretty noteworthy.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
Well the full versions of these games came out a while ago.

So have an Unreal Mode 1cc of the first game.  :V

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should

Whoa. This game is really cool. A lot of the patterns are good and the music is great. Achilles' heel would be some of the gimmick cards and the stage portions, especially the stage portions, which bored me the first time I looked at them.

How hard is Absurdly Extra?

Could you share dat file of your replay?

And, in case if you'd try the second game, there is an extra spellcard by finishing the last stage with full flower gauge (and there is a high possibility of the game being closed when that spellcard is activating; on the other hand, it's safe if you skip it). So, I'd recommend to make a live record during playing.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:36:08 PM by Necrotek »

Jaimers

Could you share dat file of your replay?

Sure.

I guess I'm not too worried about that crash since dying or bombing seems to reduce the flower gauge by a loooot and I'm bound to die and bomb a few times on Unreal.

How hard is Absurdly Extra?

Hard.

Jaimers

You know has anyone ever informed JynX about that TLB crash?

I've gotten a pretty decent Unreal 1cc and I could trigger the TLB with a few less mistakes. However every time I've triggered the TLB before the game crashes so the motivation to shoot for an Unreal TLB 1cc is pretty low if the game is just going to crash when I reach it.

Not sure what TLB means but I guess it's about the bug with extra spellcard I mentioned earlier. If it's so then yes, I asked Flan27 to inform JynX about it (though I'm not sure if he actually told JynX about it).
One more funny thing about that spellcard bug (I'll try to recheck it again tomorrow) - it never crashed for me while I was running the game under Ollydbg, like I mentioned on wiki.

Upd: ok, I just retried to run a replay in natively running game and under ollydbg, both ollydbg runs were fine unlike the native one. I don't know if it's really related (because I don't really see any connections between these factors), it's worth to give it a try. Try to run the game under Ollydbg 2.01. You can also try this terrible replay just to check if the trick works or not. It's not a solution for the problem but it might be fine for the time being.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:48:15 PM by Necrotek »

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
Question: How do extends work in this game beyond the usual 1-up items? Is it score based or point item based?

Edit: Also if anyone knows how to extract the music from the game I'd like to know for my usual game soundtrack collection purposes. ^^;
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:05:35 PM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

If I recall correctly, you get a life after 10m, 20m and 30m score (so, only 3 score-based lives).
About music... well, pm me if you're interested.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
About music... well, pm me if you're interested.

Upload it to youtube plx :)
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Ok, I'll try. Though, I think, I have already seen music from these games on youtube.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
They are already on Youtube. I've seen them around. ^^;

Just as I thought. So there is no point in uploading them again.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
...After playing the first game I kind of decided to Walfas my feelings on the difficulty curve.

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot

Stage 3 for Len'en players is like that until they realize that Dimensional Diversion is infinitely more easier when you figure it out.  :V
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:04:21 PM by KaiserKnuckle »
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Jaimers

So in these games if you 1cc Unreal mode you unlock the game's Absurdly Extra Mode.

Have a video of Evanescent Existence's Absurdly Extra Mode.

EDIT:
Replay
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:02:09 AM by Jaimers »

How is it possible that 2nd stage boss is waaaay harder than boss 3 and 4? Unreal mode seems to be a motivation killer because of the erratic way the difficulty rises. Stage 3 was fairly good but then comes stage 4 being on the easy side.

Also, the first guy/girl you control, yabusame was his/her name? She moves way too slow while unfocused and I feel his/her shot is super weak.

I guess I'll have to get used to it but damn, the game does not make it easier. And worst of all it is very fun, which will make me sit here trying to clear it for hours.