Author Topic: "Hilarious" Touhou article  (Read 42914 times)

Re: "Hilarious" Touhou article
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 02:11:48 AM »
it gave me a bit of a laugh. some factualy errors but i was expecting that.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 02:19:14 AM »
If he really is 110 pounds then I weight the same amount he does. Think I could take Zun in a fight?
Not unless you're as drunk as he is.
It's pretty tough to fight someone who feels no pain and has relatively fewer inhibitions.

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 02:20:42 AM »
relatively fewer inhibitions

Well I have one half down, but I don't drink.
So Zun would likely hit me over the head with a bottle and get a danmaku idea out of it.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 02:38:07 AM »
So Zun would likely hit me over the head with a bottle and get a danmaku idea out of it.
Time to send you to Zun so we might get the next game sooner.  :V

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 02:40:25 AM »
You clearly haven't seen Uwabami Breakers.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 02:50:13 AM »
It was an interesting read. And it did seem like a simple enough introduction.

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2009, 03:02:49 AM »
You clearly haven't seen Uwabami Breakers.

I read the wiki but reading only gets one so far.
I guess I'll watch a LP.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:04:24 AM by Cadmas »

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 04:00:10 AM »
I like the part where it mentions little girls and little girls and instead of raping little girls they rape you and little girls and DID I MENTION LITTLE GIRLS? Why do you want to fall under this stereotype?

Yes, that. That's what I mean about the forced humor. But hey, it's Cracked, so I don't expect it to be side-splittingly funny or anything. As a 500-word article about Touhou it more or less covers the bases.

The only thing this article managed to do is make Touhou fans out to be even more creepy than they already are conceived. By putting any emphasis on "little girls in an anime game", it basically cast a nice pedophilic shadow on the entire fanbase, and the factual errors certainly don't help at all. If anyone of you think this article was good, then you need to think again, because all it did is make you, the Touhou fan, sound like you live in a waifu thread.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 04:08:03 AM »
I like the part where it mentions little girls and little girls and instead of raping little girls they rape you and little girls and DID I MENTION LITTLE GIRLS? Why do you want to fall under this stereotype?

Yes, that. That's what I mean about the forced humor. But hey, it's Cracked, so I don't expect it to be side-splittingly funny or anything. As a 500-word article about Touhou it more or less covers the bases.

The only thing this article managed to do is make Touhou fans out to be even more creepy than they already are conceived. By putting any emphasis on "little girls in an anime game", it basically cast a nice pedophilic shadow on the entire fanbase, and the factual errors certainly don't help at all. If anyone of you think this article was good, then you need to think again, because all it did is make you, the Touhou fan, sound like you live in a waifu thread.

I can't tell if this is a fakepost or not.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 05:20:43 AM »
I found the article reasonably amusing.

Same goes for this thread!

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 05:45:01 AM »
like you live in a waifu thread.

and that means any and all persons who register and post in forums are too.

because there was an article on anime before, or rather a multitude of them.

Cracked.com = drama in a box.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 06:36:25 AM »
I sense the article is balancing between good and bad. I cannot quite judge it due to various things being said about it. Though it is lacking also information regarding the PC-98 games as well.

The comparison portraits and FMJ U.N Owen made me giggle to be honest. Generally I hate the remixes.

Letty, I don't think the article makes it even more creepy. As once people start googling/searching for Touhou movies such as in game replays or pictures they will bump into the little girl pictures themself.

Though they could have used a different Reimu portrait in there, like from PCB, IN or UFO.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 06:42:49 AM »
It's meant to be a "satirical" article.  It's not completely unbiased but at least they actually bothered to go farther into the fandom than just "these sick fucks draw pedo art all day".  They also at least highlighted how deep and pervasive the fandom is, and how much it covers.

All and all I have to say it's not a bad article from an "outsider's" view.  Yes it gets some stuff wrong and it's still fairly biased in the "little girls" theme but you know that's the VERY first thing everyone hooks on when they first find out about Touhou.  And it got a lot of stuff right, like how an entire genre of music is built around remixing ZUN's original songs to almost ANYTHING, and how it's basically it's own culture at this point with all the trappings and nuances and just seemingly odd but perfectly natural to fan things.

I don't think you could have expected a better writeup from a bystander to be quite honest.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:45:31 AM by TheⓈtupidOne »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 07:26:25 AM »
I agree with the above, the culprit is one of "us". It's a parody of an original Touhou introduction article that was used in some US convention.

Original articule is a bit outdated but still remain quite accurate, while in this one the author used a troll image with danmaku "shinki ufo" example.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2009, 08:35:43 AM »
it's not a bad article from an "outsider's" view. 
This is probably what we are lacking. Most of us have a strong passion for Touhou that we forget the objective and outsider point of view for people who know 0% about the game. Every article about Touhou will be bashed at one point because we are too hardcore as a community.

People would be rather scared of it I guess =P

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2009, 11:48:41 AM »
the "little girls" theme but you know that's the VERY first thing everyone hooks on when they first find out about Touhou.
It seems I'm not everyone.

Satirical or not, I agree with ZZ.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 04:59:56 PM »
I think maybe ZZ's reading too much into the little girls thing. It's like we're trying to hide the fact that the cast is made of young girls, kinda feels alot if Gundam fans would try to hide the fact that there's Giant Robots in it. I'd be happy about the fact that it tried to state a difference between loli H-games and Touhou, which seems to be pretty rare in about most write-ups about the game.

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2009, 03:45:02 AM »
This is actually serious and newsworthy, so I moved it to where SERIOUS NEWS goes.

I never thought the day would come when I would move a thread OUT of CirnoBoard.
What about my birthday thread? Wait, that was because I was stupid to make it in the Cirnoboard :V
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2009, 04:31:53 AM »
You guys pick too much at the "little girls" thing. Why is that? It's not like Touhou isn't full of little girls despite their age and class.
And where are all the innacuracies?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2009, 06:22:58 AM »
You guys pick too much at the "little girls" thing. Why is that? It's not like Touhou isn't full of little girls despite their age and class.

Speaking for myself:

Stylistically, because the author flogs the "little girls" thing repeatedly, as if the reader didn't understand the joke the first few times. Repeating a not-especially-funny joke several times doesn't make it funnier. And on that note, a lot of Touhou fans have to put up with that "lol pedo" crap from other people as it is, so this doesn't help.

Also, this: "Unlike most popular Japanese PC Games, Touhou isn't an Erotic Dating Game or a Rape Simulator" just smacks of the same tired, played out, "lol japs is weird amirite" joke that's obviously trying to be edgy and satirical but just falls flat.

Taking just the facts of the article into account and removing the embarrassing attempts at humor, it's a passible introduction to Touhou. But the author tries too hard to milk one weak joke for more than it can give.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2009, 12:26:38 PM »
And on that note, a lot of Touhou fans have to put up with that "lol pedo" crap from other people as it is, so this doesn't help.
Adding on that about half of the images in the article reinforce the "lol pedo" message, or at least make us look creepy.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:28:09 PM by u? »

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 01:07:22 PM »
Speaking as someone who is planning a Manly Brouhou Reimu costume for Otakon 2010 (I have chest hair and a guy's build, so if I cannot be a trap, I might as well be MASCULINE) I wouldn't oppose more guys in Touhou.  We get it, the girls' outfits are pretty to look at and they're cute eye candy.  It's easy for outsiders to read "Eww, pedo" and that's where suppressing your power level comes in.

If you're running around the street in a Yukkuri T-shirt, waving a gohei you made out of a twig and Superglued paperboard, shouting "MARISA STOLE THE PRECIOUS THING" while blazing U.N. Owen on your boombox and danmakuing with pebbles, then you deserve to have people think you're creepy.  If you're a total hikki who makes no attempt to have human interaction other than printed fanart of your favorite Touhou, then you deserve to have people think you're some fanboy.  If you're a denizen of the Internet who just enjoys Touhou and the mythos/characters/music/game, then you're already on Poolswimmer or MotK and guess what?  You just enjoy the mythos/characters/music/game.  You can like whatever you like but if you're going to be an outwardly forceful douchebag about it (e.g. "TOUHOU IS GREAT AND STUPID WESTERN GAMES SUCK, SUWAKO IS MAI WAIFU IRL" or, turning things around, "YIFF YIFF YIFF HAY GUYS COME CHECK OUT MY FURSONA I DREW ART OF IT HAVING SEX WITH A UNICORNOCEROUS THAT HAS SONIC THE HEDGEHOG'S SNEAKERS AND HAIR") then you're not suppressing your power level, you're being a shitty example for the rest of us, but in the end, do we care what the rest of the world thinks?

That's pretty much all there is to it.  If you are any of those and you feel bad because some random schmucks on the Internet think you're pedo, you should get the hell off the Internet right now and stop opening yourself up to interaction, because strangers are always going to think worse of you for something.  Hell, I think anyone who whistles or hums needs to be run up a flagpole by the underwear and shot at with fire ants because they are terrible people.  Replace "anyone who whistles or hums" with "Touhou fans" and "needs to be run up etc." with "are pedo" and you see what I mean. 

Somewhere out there, a lot of people don't like what you're doing - eating meat, creating carbon emissions, playing Touhou, going on 4chan and ED, wearing fur, driving American cars, driving Japanese cars, driving European cars, taking the bus or subway, etc.

Like what you like as long as it does no direct physical harm to yourself or others, and to hell with what the Internet thinks of your hobby. 

Viva freaking Touhou, man, seriously.  I enjoy this fandom and I enjoy interacting with other Touhou fans.  I don't know half of what you're all talking about, but that's okay because I'm still learning, and it's fun being here and reading. 

Viva Touhou.  VIVA!  VIVA!

Tengukami

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2009, 04:41:15 PM »
That was a very articulate outburst.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Tengukami

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »
On the other hand I'm not sure what you're driving at. If you act too much like a freak, you invite abuse? I'm not sure how many people on this board fit the descriptions you made here, but none of the Touhou fans I've met do. I'm sure they exist, don't get me wrong. But I think we're allowed to take issue with cheap stereotype milking.

Quote from: MJP
Like what you like as long as it does no direct physical harm to yourself or others, and to hell with what the Internet thinks of your hobby.

Well yeah. No one here's going to drop out of the fandom because of a Cracked article. And I don't see anyone raging too hard about it. For me it's a stylistic issue and just a sigh of, "Oh, this shit again ..." I know it comes with the territory. Would just be nice if the article was actually funny, if it's going to be satirical, instead of reaching for the low-hanging fruit. But you can't win 'em all.

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
Oh, I wasn't saying that people should drop the article, more like "So what if they think you're pedo - you know you're not and that's all that matters" (Unless you ARE a real pedo, at which point you'd better stay the hell away from my future sister-in-law, and save the "is she hot" for CPMC, TYVM). 

The article didn't seem like Cracked's usual Top X lists... I think they were playing into the Digg-going Internet crowd to the point of "lolololol original creator cannot draw, he drinks liquor and develops games, I CAN DO THAT WITH C++ IN A WEB 2.0 APP, UPVOTED" as the whole bit o' funny, with a touch of "silly yellow people" thrown in.

See, the good thing is that to my knowledge, nobody on the board DOES act like that, but those who do (they're probably not on MotK, I guess) are the ones who invite it upon themselves, while poorly reflecting upon us.  It is on them where our derision should focus, IMHO.

Tengukami

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »
Agreed.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2009, 08:06:24 AM »
I think the article is pretty good actually. I read it, and after reading this thread, re-read it. And neither time did I feel like it was really going on and on about being about pedophiles or little girl fantasies. It spent a great deal of the article complimenting the serieis, and everything to do with it as a whole imo. The little girl part was the only exception, which really wasn't beaten like a dead horse IMO.

Personally my beef with it was that it portrayed that alot of the fan-made stuff is smutty or whatever. Of all cosplays I've seen before before, which granted isn't very much since I'm not even into anime that reimu one is by far the most smutty cosplay I've seen, then the hentai reimu/sakuya thing immediately after just put the over-emphasis in that department into overdrive IMO.

But maybe my general noobness in the touhou universe is in the wrong and there really IS that much hentai/sluttycosplay/etc in this department...I doubt it.

Overall though I didn't really think that this article labels touhou fans as pedos, or even LIKELY pedos compared to anybody else, and believe me. I'm sensative and am prone to take things personally, so you do the math >=P.

Wriggle Nightbug

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2009, 11:55:46 AM »
This is indeed a great introduction for someone willing to be introduced into the world of touhou. It has the right mood/feeling/touch/tone, the atmosfere of the touhou fanbase actually^^. Touhou should become a little more poplular in some regions such as my homecountry. I see way to few cosplayers on the cons.

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
Little girls are awesome so it's all good

TannerB

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2009, 09:37:16 PM »
I have a friend who doesn't even wanna play Touhou thanks to this article and now thinks that "Touhou is little girl shit for weeaboo's"