Author Topic: Cardboard Intervention: TCG/CCG Thread Redux 2  (Read 38882 times)

Re: Cardboard Intervention: TCG/CCG Thread Redux 2
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2018, 04:04:30 AM »
so who's ready for Guilds prerelease

the LGS I play at has been doing drafts of RTR block leading up to this. Gatecrash was... an experience.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2018, 04:14:41 AM »
I'm looking forward to it. I'll be curious to see how the guilds hold up, Dimir looks way better than the others on paper but I think it's also easiest to evaluate. The others might be sneakily better than I think they are. I'll definitely be playing Golgari.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2018, 04:00:54 AM »
Magic Arena open beta started today. Is anyone playing? I created my account today and therefore missed out on a bunch of free mythics, but oh well.

There's a free singleton league available during launch week that's nuts. It gives a guaranteed rare if you do well enough (I've seen four opened so far and three of them were mythics) and it's pretty easy to game the system and just craft one-ofs instead of playsets with your starter crafting materials to get way higher deck quality than most people are working with.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2018, 08:22:51 PM »
Magic Arena open beta started today. Is anyone playing? I created my account today and therefore missed out on a bunch of free mythics, but oh well.

There's a free singleton league available during launch week that's nuts. It gives a guaranteed rare if you do well enough (I've seen four opened so far and three of them were mythics) and it's pretty easy to game the system and just craft one-ofs instead of playsets with your starter crafting materials to get way higher deck quality than most people are working with.

Rat Colony. Anyways I've been doing pretty okay with my Junk Knight deck, It's been doing well although can't do well against big threats

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2018, 09:35:04 PM »
I've played against Rat Colony a few times in singleton and I thought it sucked. I definitely have a good matchup against it with my Golgari deck and all of my small value creatures bouncing around that makes it unprofitable for them to swing, but they're also just really soft to disruption with only one copy of Conqueror's Banner. Would not play, happy to play against.

Edit: I still don't really know how to evaluate Undergrowth overall, but it's interesting in formats with little or no good graveyard removal like Arena Singleton. It's slow and awkward so you don't want too much of it, but just one or two Undergrowth cards can end the game immediately if the game goes long. Makes Golgari scary for control to play against since they can never let their guard down and the threats are recyclable. If you have white and you're playing singleton consider packing Remorseful Cleric...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 02:18:00 AM by commandercool »

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2018, 03:46:03 PM »

I had an account since closed beta, I'm trying to farm up enough coins from dailies to draft again since the reset

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2018, 10:14:32 PM »
Ugh, prerelease went terribly. Played Golgari, went against four Boros decks in a row. Golgari seems... okay. But it's definitely pretty midrangey and doesn't like tons of early pressure. The payoffs aren't that exciting and there's not enough recycling to go hardcore grindy. I opened a Ral which was decent but definitely couldn't go in my deck and isn't worth enough to recoup my entry fee. Oh well, playing another one for free on Arena with the code card will be fun.

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2018, 01:36:26 AM »
Yeah, my Golgari deck had a similar experience. I feel like you really want to fill out your early curve with stuff like Portcullis Vine, Pilfering Imp, and Burglar Rat, which can act as roadblocks against aggro and help fill your graveyard for later stuff.

Wound up going 1-3, my main cards worth anything are Mausoleum Secrets (1 regular, 1 promo) and a Chromatic Lantern. Might try again tomorrow with the Selesnya or Dimir pack, depending on how I feel

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2018, 05:03:07 PM »
My paper Golgari prerelease went badly (2-2 and pulled a mid-value mythic) but it was solid gold next to my online Boros one (0-3, only the trashiest trash rares, never attacked once in three games). But I pulled a mythic wild card from my pity packs so oooooh weeeeell.

Edit: Wow, I've run into a couple of salty Rat Colony players in singleton league now who insta-scoop the second they see a repeatable removal effect. Free wins for me I guess...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:09:38 AM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2018, 03:40:41 AM »
I've been slowly refining a Golgari deck built around Izoni on Arena and it's getting pretty savage. It's very Explore-heavy to smooth out my mana and make sure I hit at least decent Undergrowth numbers. Journey of Discovery is secretly incredible, I've gain 30+ life off of Wildgrowth Walker+Journey of Discovery+Izoni surprisingly many times. The real glue that holds the deck together is Find//Finality though, Find is a fantastic card that I would absolutely play even without Finality, and an added board wipe is just extra.

Building Golgari is crazy right now, there are so many playables that you can build three solid decks with almost no overlapping cards. It makes cutting stuff challenging, but it means there's tons of room for experimentation which is super fun. Unfortunately means I've been neglecting completing my mana base to try weird new strategies though, so I'm definitely losing games to all of my crappy budget lands occasionally.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2018, 08:28:11 PM »
For people that used to play yugioh or want to make fun of how stupidly complicated it is, I'm translating a series of comics on ruling complexity you can read over on reddit. Currently there are 7 chapters, you can find the link to the next chapter in my comment in the post, and I'm updating biweekly. It's pretty dumb, you should check it out.

If you're having trouble understanding, the comments can help. Or I guess you can ask me here.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2018, 09:19:33 PM »
The main thing I know about Yu Gi Oh rulings is that people say things "miss timing" all the time. What is "missing timing"?

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2018, 10:47:20 PM »
So there are effects that trigger and activate based on certain circumstances. There are two types, "if" and "when". Using destruction as an example: "If this card is destroyed: do ..." and "When this card is destroyed: do ..."

"When" effects can only be activated immediately after they get triggered. If something else happens afterwards before it can activate, then it can't activate. For example, suppose a card that says something like "Destroy 1 card, then draw a card" destroys the above "when this card is destroyed: do ..." card. Since drawing a card happens after the destroying, "when" effects will "miss timing". "If" effects don't have this issue, if the trigger meets its condition at anytime prior, then it can activate.

For the most part.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2018, 11:18:18 PM »
Wait, what? So if you have a bunch of cards that say "When this card is destroyed do X" and your opponent plays something that says "Destroy all cards" then you would get to do X, but if the effect they use says "Destroy all cards and gain 1 life point" then it also secretly negates all of your death triggers? Is that right?

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2018, 11:57:42 PM »
"Destroy all cards and gain 1 life point" then it also secretly negates all of your death triggers? Is that right?
Hahahahahaha.
Actually, no in that case, because the conjunction "and" means that the destroying and gaining life points happen simultaneously, so you could activate a "when" effect because both are the last event to happen.

If you said "Destroy all cards, then gain 1 life point", then yes, "when" effects cannot be activated, because the last thing to happen was gaining a life point.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2018, 01:02:56 AM »
Huh... I'm going to assume the implementation is less heinous than the description. What's the point of doing it that way, design-wise? On paper is sounds like a shitty trap, but I'm assuming there's some kind of reason for it.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2018, 01:22:59 AM »
Just because, I guess? Most "when" effects are old but since they're still printing a few new "when" effects, I suppose it's not something they're planning on completely phasing out over time.
They mostly seem to be used to balance cards so that the conditions to use them are a little more restrictive, but it does seem more beginner unfriendly than anything else. Most of the time, it only makes those "when" cards unnecessarily crap.

(And there's the additional caveat that only the optional "when" effects miss timing, eg: "When this card is destroyed: you can ... ". Mandatory "when" effects don't.)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2018, 02:07:02 AM »
Ha ha what. That's just flip-flopping on the part of people making the rulings at that point. Or a deliberate new player trap, but I don't know why anyone would do that on purpose.

I've seen this kind of convoluted rules mess from games with very small rules committees before. If you have a few people with the power to clarify rulings and they don't necessarily agree or communicate with each other you get stuff like this where someone offhandedly makes a ruling and it creates a huge mess that everyone has to deal with forever, or until another person with the power to do so rules the other way. I'm not saying that's definitely what happened here, but I have seen that happen elsewhere (cough cough Heroclix).

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2018, 06:16:39 AM »
Wait, that sounds a little different from what I remember if it's what I'm thinking about. From what I recall, "missing the timing" would refer to effects that offer you the choice to activate an effect only do so when the activation requirements is the last thing to happen when the chain resolves. For example take "Dupe Frog." It's text states that "When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Frog" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand, except "Dupe Frog"." If it's on the field and your opponent activates dark hole, you get his effect because Dupe Frog dying was the last thing that happened(Dark hole resolves -> Dupe dies.) However, if you were offer him as a tribute to summon something like say a Monarch. You would not get dupe's effect because the monarch getting summoned is the last thing that happens when things resolve and not dupe dying(sac Dupe-> Monarch appears).  Dupe not getting the effect is what I've seen being referred to "missing the timing." However, other cards, like Sangan, the retrival effect is mandatory. This means you can do all sorts of plays that involve sacrificing him and as long as he hits the graveyard, you will still get his effect.

I've never heard of any issues involving the "if" and "when" stuff. Is this new? The main stuff I'd hear about would be "Priority", and "Missing the timing." It's possible we're talking about the same thing, but I've never heard of any cards that would force your opponents cards to miss the timing. Usually "missing the timing" stuff occurs because the trigger happens in order to pay a cost. I've never heard of a card that makes cards miss the timing when the effects are what's causing stuff to trigger. 

Ha ha what. That's just flip-flopping on the part of people making the rulings at that point. Or a deliberate new player trap, but I don't know why anyone would do that on purpose.

I've seen this kind of convoluted rules mess from games with very small rules committees before. If you have a few people with the power to clarify rulings and they don't necessarily agree or communicate with each other you get stuff like this where someone offhandedly makes a ruling and it creates a huge mess that everyone has to deal with forever, or until another person with the power to do so rules the other way. I'm not saying that's definitely what happened here, but I have seen that happen elsewhere (cough cough Heroclix).

If I had to guess, it would probably have something to do with our Yugioh being a translation of Japanese Yugioh, and having to be consistent with standards set when Yugioh was extremely liberal with their translations.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2018, 09:56:17 AM »
There not being a whole lot of mandatory "when" effects is probably why "if" vs "when" is brought up a lot. But yes, optional "when" effects are the only triggers that miss timing. Mandatory "when" effects and any "if" effects don't miss timing.

So suppose the following face-up monsters on the field are tributed as material for a Tribute summon. Since the event progression goes 1) monster on the field is tributed and leaves the field -> 2) Tribute monster is Tribute Summoned, we get:
  • Reborn Tengu's "if" effect will not miss timing and can Special Summon another.
  • Peten the Dark Clown's optional "when" effect will miss timing and cannot activate to Special Summon another.
  • Tour Bus's mandatory "when" effect will not miss timing and will activate its effect.
Mandatory "ifs" and mandatory "whens" are functionally identical. Neither optional "if" effects, mandatory "if" effects, nor mandatory "when" effects miss timing but the latter 2 are not optional. And only optional "when" effects miss timing. There's another word that sometimes shows up, "each time" effects, but these don't miss timing either, like "if" effects.

The effects that don't miss timing don't have to have their triggering conditions meet as the last thing to happen when the chain resolves, they can meet their conditions higher in the chain. Example:
Player 1 controls a Lord Gaia the Fierce Knight and Player 2 has a set Call of the Haunted.
CL1: Player 1 activates Mystical Space Typhoon, targetting Player 2's set Call of the Haunted.
CL2: Player 2 chains Call of the Haunted, targeting a Blue-Eyes White Dragon in the Graveyard.
CL2: Call of the Haunted resolves, Special Summoning Blue-Eyes White Dragon from the Graveyard.
CL1: Mystical Space Typhoon resolves, destroying Call of the Haunted. Since Call of the Haunted was destroyed, Blue-Eyes White Dragon is also destroyed by its effect.
Chain finishes resolving. Now, Special Summoning the Blue-Eyes was definitely not the last thing to happen, but Lord Gaia the Fierce Knight can still activate its trigger effect here because its "if" condition has been met and "if" effects don't miss timing. Basically, this page.

An example of an effect (rather than a cost) causing stuff to miss timing is Goblindbergh's effect: "When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower monster from your hand, also, after that, change this card to Defense Position."
When you summon a monster with 1500 or more ATK with this effect, the opponent cannot activate Bottomless Trap Hole since it reads: "When your opponent Summons a monster(s) with 1500 or more ATK: Destroy that monster(s) with 1500 or more ATK, and if you do, banish it."
Since the last event to happen was not a monster being summoned but rather Goblindbergh changing to Defense position, Bottomless Traphole misses timing.

"Priority" is another of those old mechanics that don't exist anymore but the word still exists to describe something else entirely, so it can get misused by people.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2019, 10:18:39 PM »
I ended up doing a bunch of Ravnica Allegiance drafts this weekend even though I don't usually draft since I had some free ones banked from the rewards program of my favorite store. Ended up snagging three free shocklands, and I placed first at our Sunday draft with a Simic deck and a lot of luck. I still don't love Simic for sealed but man, Sharktocrab can lay on a crazy amount of pressure. especially when you ramp into it. Still haven't managed to snag a Hydroid Krasis though, I'd love to have one of those at some point but they're pretty expensive right now.

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2019, 05:44:56 AM »
I think Hydroid Krasis is the most expensive card in the set right now and frankly I can see why. Got two Godless Shrines so far from my prereleases and associated prizing and got a copy of Vannifar from the bundle I bought for the basics

With a lot of the uncommons in this set I feel really inclined to try building some sort of UG counters deck (with Ezuri) or BW aristocrats deck (probably with Ayli) for commander since I feel like I need to branch out

I also want to try and make mill work in Standard because they're just giving us an entire toolbox for it.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2019, 02:10:32 AM »
Anyone here interested in the new Pokemon TCG expansion? I saw the "gimmick" for it (Tag Team cards) and they look really cute. I think Eevee + Snorlax and Gengar + Mimikyu are my favorites so far.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »
Yeah totally. I've been playing the Pokemon TCG quite a bit online lately and I think the metagame is in a great place right now. The Tag GXs are interesting and fun, and I've definitely picked up a few of them IRL just to look at.

Some of the upcoming ones are super silly with how over the top their effects are. There's a Muk & Alolan Muk Tag GX that can do 150 poison damage a turn under optimal conditions.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2019, 03:39:03 AM »
So!  I did not expect to be making a post here, but life has strange turns sometimes I guess.  My supervisor at work came across a bunch of Magic cards, and knowing my interests include games and such, she gave them to me.

Problem is, I haven't actually...PLAYED Magic, or TCGs in general for a long time now.

This is where you all possibly come in.  The cards are all commons but do any of you want them?  I figure someone(s) here might be able to give some of em a good home.

Green:
1x Llanowar Envoy
3x Saproling Migration
1x Gaea's Protector
1x Baloth Gorger
1x Broken Bond
1x Ancient Animus
2x Gift of Growth
1x Llanowar Scout
2x Adventurous Impulse
1x Arbor Armament

Black:
3x Windgrace Acolyte
2x Cabal Evangel
2x Caligo Skin-Witch
1x Deathbloom Thallid
1x Vicious Offering
1x Cabal Paladin
1x Soul Salvage
1x Eviscerate

Red:
2x Fervent Strike
2x Run Amok
2x Fiery Intervention
2x Ghitu Chronicler
1x Frenzied Rage
1x Rampaging Cyclops
1x Keldon Warcaller
1x Keldon Overseer

Blue:
1x Befuddle
2x Homarid Explorer
2c Cloudreader Sphinx
1x Deep Freeze
1x Rescue
1x Cold-Water Snapper
2x Artificer's Assistant
1x Arcane Flight
1x Vodalian Arcanist
1x Academy Journeymage

White
1x Blessed Light
1x Sergeant-at-Arms
2x Serra Disciple
2x Aven Sentry
1x Healing Grace
1x Adamant Will
1x D'Avenant Trapper
1x Tragic Poet
2x Benalish Honor Guard
1x Mesa Unicorn

Colorless
3x Jousting Lance
2x Pardic Wanderer
2x Navigator's Compass
1x Guardian of Koilos
1x Skittering Surveyor
1x Aesthir Glider
1x Voltaic Servant

I'm not asking for money for these, so if anyone wants some free Magic just let me know!  Only thing I'll need if you do is an address, obviously.

(*offer limited to contiguous 48 US states due to shipping costs to other regions, sorry!)
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2019, 04:22:32 AM »
Yeah totally. I've been playing the Pokemon TCG quite a bit online lately and I think the metagame is in a great place right now. The Tag GXs are interesting and fun, and I've definitely picked up a few of them IRL just to look at.

Some of the upcoming ones are super silly with how over the top their effects are. There's a Muk & Alolan Muk Tag GX that can do 150 poison damage a turn under optimal conditions.

I didn't realize you played it online. I've put in the codes, but didn't really play with anyone. Maybe I'll try. My biggest problem with pokemon is that the Energy mechanic seems too snowbally. It feels really difficult to recover from losing a pokemon with 2 or more energy on it from what little I've done, especially when people have a pokemon with 3 or more energy on it.

Also thoughts on war of the spark? I'm interested. I'd glad to see Sorin's back. I thought they killed him off. I wonder if Nahiri will be back too. I know Ugin is.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2019, 04:48:27 AM »
I didn't realize you played it online. I've put in the codes, but didn't really play with anyone. Maybe I'll try. My biggest problem with pokemon is that the Energy mechanic seems too snowbally. It feels really difficult to recover from losing a pokemon with 2 or more energy on it from what little I've done, especially when people have a pokemon with 3 or more energy on it.

Energy is a balancing mechanism, so it can be snowbally if you put yourself in a situation where you're losing a ton of resources to a KO, but if you're doing that then you're presumably getting a benefit that's worth the risk. There are a ton of ways to set up energy so that it rarely takes 3-4 turns to get anything set up, and many/most meta cards have reasonably efficient attacks. I think energy has become a fairly elegant system. It's not perfect, but it's not a huge problem.

I think the Pokemon TCG has been really good lately. It went through a few rough patches fairly recently with some very generic and powerful draw engines that centralized the metagame, but in the last year or so all of those cards have rotated out and have been replaced with much more situational and higher skill cards if they've been replaced at all. Tons of stuff feels decently viable right now and that's always nice to see.

Also thoughts on war of the spark? I'm interested. I'd glad to see Sorin's back. I thought they killed him off. I wonder if Nahiri will be back too. I know Ugin is.

I don't care for planeswalkers as a general rule, I think they receive too much of the story's focus at the expense of more interesting characters and their cards can do bad things to gameplay. War of the Spark correctly reinvented planeswalkers to make them fill roles other than "constantly generates value and must be answered or you win". They may be mostly just weird enchantments now, but that's much better and more interesting than almost all of them being nearly the same card. I have some balance concerns about some of the stuff in the set (Proliferate really worries me in this Standard) but I'm glad to see Amonkhet stuff back and the set is shaping up to look much more varied and interesting than I was worried it was going to. Plus, Fblthp!

I'm glad to see Sorin back too, I've been playing WB Tokens in Modern and it might as well be a Sorin deck. He's the reason Tokens is good as far as I'm concerned. His new card doesn't really fit in the deck, but it's neat.

Nahiri is in the set, her card has already been revealed. She's... weird. I find her very hard to evaluate. Which is usually a good sign, it means she's interesting. Repeatable damage to creatures seems good, but this might be too situational to be of much use. I guess we'll find out. Too much there's not much relevant equipment in Standard.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2019, 05:35:12 AM »
Energy is a balancing mechanism, so it can be snowbally if you put yourself in a situation where you're losing a ton of resources to a KO, but if you're doing that then you're presumably getting a benefit that's worth the risk. There are a ton of ways to set up energy so that it rarely takes 3-4 turns to get anything set up, and many/most meta cards have reasonably efficient attacks. I think energy has become a fairly elegant system. It's not perfect, but it's not a huge problem.

I think the Pokemon TCG has been really good lately. It went through a few rough patches fairly recently with some very generic and powerful draw engines that centralized the metagame, but in the last year or so all of those cards have rotated out and have been replaced with much more situational and higher skill cards if they've been replaced at all. Tons of stuff feels decently viable right now and that's always nice to see.

I don't care for planeswalkers as a general rule, I think they receive too much of the story's focus at the expense of more interesting characters and their cards can do bad things to gameplay. War of the Spark correctly reinvented planeswalkers to make them fill roles other than "constantly generates value and must be answered or you win". They may be mostly just weird enchantments now, but that's much better and more interesting than almost all of them being nearly the same card. I have some balance concerns about some of the stuff in the set (Proliferate really worries me in this Standard) but I'm glad to see Amonkhet stuff back and the set is shaping up to look much more varied and interesting than I was worried it was going to. Plus, Fblthp!

I'm glad to see Sorin back too, I've been playing WB Tokens in Modern and it might as well be a Sorin deck. He's the reason Tokens is good as far as I'm concerned. His new card doesn't really fit in the deck, but it's neat.

Nahiri is in the set, her card has already been revealed. She's... weird. I find her very hard to evaluate. Which is usually a good sign, it means she's interesting. Repeatable damage to creatures seems good, but this might be too situational to be of much use. I guess we'll find out. Too much there's not much relevant equipment in Standard.

I'll have to try it out. I don't have a ton of people to play with, mainly just starter decks.

As for the mtg stuff. I can get where you're coming from about the planeswalker stuff, the sets seem like solid settings for pretty good selfcontained stories without planeswalkers. They seem to like pushing the gatewatch group, but I like the planeswalkers we don't see as often. Well, if you don't like planeswalkers, it sounds like they're going to kill alot of them off. I wonder when we'll go back to the Mirroden or some other plane to deal with the Phyrexians.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2019, 06:05:15 AM »
I'll have to try it out. I don't have a ton of people to play with, mainly just starter decks.

Pokemon TCG Online has special leagues for starter decks only and you can use the code cards found in the packaging to unlock the decks you own physically online. I'm not a huge fan of that game mode, but I know a lot of people are and it's a semi-reliable way to get prizes in-game since it's a very level playing field. Just be aware that the starter decks aren't really representative of how a normal deck is built, but they're a good way to learn.

As for the mtg stuff. I can get where you're coming from about the planeswalker stuff, the sets seem like solid settings for pretty good selfcontained stories without planeswalkers. They seem to like pushing the gatewatch group, but I like the planeswalkers we don't see as often. Well, if you don't like planeswalkers, it sounds like they're going to kill alot of them off.

It's not that I hate all planeswalkers, it's just that I'm tired of snide Jace quotes in flavor text, I'm tired of the story centralizing around them, and I'm tired of Teferi warping the metagame. I really like a few of them, Kaya and Vraska are great, but overall I could do with a whole lot less of them. If War of the Spark could thin out the herd and maybe get us to a point where we're getting one every few sets rather than a bunch every set like Wizards told us was the plan when they came out then that would be nice I think.

I wonder when we'll go back to the Mirroden or some other plane to deal with the Phyrexians.

If I had to guess then I would guess very soon. Next year maybe? Even this year wouldn't shock me. I'm honestly kind of surprised no Phyrexians or Eldrazi surfaced in this set. Given that they're both part of Bolas' plan somehow I was expecting to see a half-Eternalized half-Phyrexianized Emrakul as his ultimate weapon or something silly like that.  :D

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2019, 02:15:38 AM »
Kaya, Orzhov Usurper is climbing the ranks toward being my favorite card. I thought she looked neat when she was spoiled and had a long conversation with a buddy where we guessed that her best use was as a one-of in any Modern deck that she can be cast in, and I feel like that's proving to be true.

She always does something fun and weird whenever she shows up, and she's just a blast to play for some reason. She's relevant against almost every deck in the format but rarely for the same reason twice. I regret not going with my gut instinct and picking up a prerelease foil of her back when she was cheap.