Author Topic: Does this happen to anyone else or am I just crazy?  (Read 5460 times)

Does this happen to anyone else or am I just crazy?
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:02:48 AM »
Recently, I've noticed stages and spell cards I used to be able to clear easily have started to take multiple lives and/or bombs to clear, particularly meiling's first nonspell.  Im wondering if this is just my craziness/stupidity, or if other people are encountering this situation
Drive a Carbonated Fish!

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
Re: Does this happen to anyone else or am I just crazy?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:04:59 AM »
That happens to me occasionally too.

Drake

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:08:10 AM »
eosd has the rank system
you can have bad touhou days
or you may have just spontaneously started sucking

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:11:48 AM »
eosd has the rank system
you can have bad touhou days
or you may have just spontaneously started sucking
i tihnk its potentially both, I know i play poorly when im having a bad day, but Meiling gets me all the time with that one now, and the other example escapes me right now....OH its Chen's first spell card >.<
Drive a Carbonated Fish!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 03:11:57 AM »
I get this so bad that I'll completely forget certain spellcards. I'll be up against someone, and suddenly realize I don't recognize this attack, and sort of intuit my way through it. It bothers me, because it's not like I'm toggling between modes or anything. Overall, I have up and down days. I tend not to play too well when I find I'm thinking about other things as I'm physically playing.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 03:34:56 AM »
I get this so bad that I'll completely forget certain spellcards. I'll be up against someone, and suddenly realize I don't recognize this attack, and sort of intuit my way through it.
that happens too, though its really bad because sometimes its the last spell card and ill be leaving my computer ot get food, then die helplessly  :ohdear:
Drive a Carbonated Fish!

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 03:43:47 AM »
It's probably just a bad Touhou phase, they happen all the time. I've had a terrible Touhou day myself. I couldn't get past Cirno without losing at least one life, so I decided to play SA instead and died at Kisume  :derp:

that happens too, though its really bad because sometimes its the last spell card and ill be leaving my computer ot get food, then die helplessly  :ohdear:

oh man the worst thing ever is pausing while you have bullets rushing toward you, saying "oh it's okay I'll remember which way to go when I get back" and then totally forgetting which way the bullets were going

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 03:45:55 AM »
man, at least I know im not alone anymore, not to imply anyone else is stupid >.>
Drive a Carbonated Fish!

Tengukami

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 03:55:14 AM »
oh man the worst thing ever is pausing while you have bullets rushing toward you, saying "oh it's okay I'll remember which way to go when I get back" and then totally forgetting which way the bullets were going

!!!

I only recently stopped doing this. My memory just isn't that good. But that's also why I save replays of failed spellcards, so I can watch them before trying them again.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 05:18:24 AM »
!!!

I only recently stopped doing this. My memory just isn't that good. But that's also why I save replays of failed spellcards, so I can watch them before trying them again.
thats actually pretty smart, I should do that, it may help (emphasis on may >.> )
Drive a Carbonated Fish!

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 06:10:26 AM »
Well, this seems to happen to me a lot in Double Spoiler. It seems that over time, I get better, but then my ability suddenly plummets for a while. Considering the insane amount of times necessary to pass some stages, I suppose the mind loses interest or something.

What? A loss of interest in Touhou? Blasphemy.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 07:00:31 AM »
Im potentially thinking it may have to do with being cocky and thinking "I dont need to bomb, I can clear this card easily" and totally failing it
Drive a Carbonated Fish!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 07:26:01 AM »
Im potentially thinking it may have to do with being cocky and thinking "I dont need to bomb, I can clear this card easily" and totally failing it
This, so much.

Actually I do that with a lot of Touhou moments.  "Okay, I have done this before, I know I have to concentrate but there's no reason I shouldn't have to bom--oh look I'm dead with bombs in reserve FFFFF"

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 07:49:12 AM »
Sometimes I find I just suck at a certain Touhou game one day, and am fine with another. It's funny. For example I find myself most skilled with EoSD, it's the only Touhou game I can 1cc on lunatic without really feeling lucky, or without practicing all day to do so. But the other day I couldn't for the life of me pass just 2 stages of it on hard. I dismissed it as a shmup slump day, but after I got sick of failing so early, I attempted MoF instead, and did better than I have ever done before. Go figure. That's the most extreme example for me, but it is fairly common for me to discover I do extra bad with one Touhou, and extra good with another.

Then there are days you just suck at every shmup >=p.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 08:01:55 AM »
It is true you can have bad Touhou days where even trivial stuff kills you. You can also go from having consistency at a card/attack one day and the next day and onwards suck at it. That is the case with me and Radiant Treasure Gun.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 08:36:05 AM »
Short answer: Yes
Long Answer: Heck yes.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 10:31:56 AM »
Sometimes I find I just suck at a certain Touhou game one day, and am fine with another. It's funny. For example I find myself most skilled with EoSD, it's the only Touhou game I can 1cc on lunatic without really feeling lucky, or without practicing all day to do so. But the other day I couldn't for the life of me pass just 2 stages of it on hard. I dismissed it as a shmup slump day, but after I got sick of failing so early, I attempted MoF instead, and did better than I have ever done before. Go figure. That's the most extreme example for me, but it is fairly common for me to discover I do extra bad with one Touhou, and extra good with another.

Then there are days you just suck at every shmup >=p.
I've had days like this at a lot of games.  More specifically, on certain days I will do absolutely exceptional - and then barely be able to replicate that feat.

When I first 1cc'd MoF on Normal, I went the day afterwards to try to 1cc it on Hard - my very first attempt at MoF Hard that was halfway serious.  I made it up to Kanako's second card before Game Over-ing.  To be completely honest, even though I've switched to a (worse?) character since (MarisaA), I have not yet gotten much further and still haven't managed to 1cc MoF Hard even though that was months ago.

I also did the same with PCB Phantasm.  When I finally cleared it, it was at a friend's place - I'd literally never seen Yukari's final three cards before that, and ended up completing them all right in front of him, to both our amazement (No captures on the last three cards, but I made it to the end with enough bombs to survive her last barrages just by blowing them all up).  Haven't done it again since.

Then again I need to play the actual shmups more often again, if I hope to get good enough to clear Hard any time soon.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:39:44 AM by Garlyle »

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
I've switched to a (worse?) character since (MarisaA)
Use MarisaC and never go back.

Anyways... Now that I have the time to explain, I once had an Extra run in Imperishable Night using Yuyuko solo. I ended up capturing every spellcard except for Imperishable Shooting. That was almost a year ago, actually. :/

But I can't ever seem to pull that off again without using Remilia to cheese through the nonspells. :V
(because Border Team isn't the only playable team in IN.)

Tengukami

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 04:35:47 PM »
Use ReimuB and never go back.

Seriously. Forward focus is the only thing that will get you through VoWG.

In Imperishable Night I "cheat" by using Magic Team. Namely because I hate fighting Marisa in Stage 4, but love love looove fighting Reimu. She is probably one of my favorite Touhou stages ever. This is because I tend to do much better when streaming instead of micrododging, and that theme of hers is just glorious.

Anyways, I've mostly been playing a lot of Double Spoiler. What I find happening with my progress is I'll have on and off days for different spellcards. This is usually remedied by, again, saving replays of failed runs, and then watching them before attempting again. This allows me to both make sure I have the parts I can do properly mapped out in my head, and to see what I did wrong.

Great example: I'm currently taking on 5-8. Being able to wipe out all the anchors except for three on the top of the screen before they start spraying bullets is more or less done on reflex at this point, even though I can't seem to get close enough to Murasa to take a photo of her. Some days, however, I have difficulty even clearing all the anchors. This usually means I need to go look at my replay again, and sure enough, I'll find there's some move that I did last time that I'm not doing this time.

Replays aren't just for bragging rights. They're really vital study tools for being able to do better.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
(because Border Team isn't the only playable team in IN.)
despite this being true, I can only seem to get a hand of border team and netherland team >.< magic team I hate, or rather it hates me o.e and i wont even talk about the last one >.>
Drive a Carbonated Fish!

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 05:33:43 PM »
despite this being true, I can only seem to get a hand of border team and netherland team >.< magic team I hate, or rather it hates me o.e and i wont even talk about the last one >.>
Abuse the MAlice Cannon.  Without it they do not do nearly enough damage when you take into consideration the lack of horizontal coverage on the Magic Team.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »
Seriously. Forward focus is the only thing that will get you through VoWG.
Marisa C does more damage than Reimu B even with only two frost throwers in position.
And you don't have to be perfectly centered to deal max damage. (more so, not even being under Kanako and deal damage)
Anyways...
Just tried a Hard 1cc with the Scarlet Team. Just barely beat Hourai Jewel with three bombs in stock. God I suck today.