Author Topic: The Absolutely Standard Difficulty Tiering Thread  (Read 11422 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
The Absolutely Standard Difficulty Tiering Thread
« on: February 12, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »
I'm absolutely certain that y'all have had a topic for this before.
But I'm a little at disagreement with a friend from another website in regards to boss difficulty.
So I wanted to know what you thought! And I'm not talking about any one difficulty, all of them in general, if you would. Factor in resources, danmaku difficulty, if applicable, requred shottype, gimmickyness, and cheapness.

Here's mine and said friend's conversation:

Quote from: me
Kilin... you haven't played TD ten million times like one might have PCB by now.

The only remotely challenging aspect of it is the limitation to 8 lives.

Stage 1 Bosses: Yamame > Nazrin > Minoriko > Rumia > Letty > Yuyuko > Wriggle
Stage 2 Bosses: Kogasa > Parsee > Cirno > Kyouko > Hina > Mystia > Chen
Stage 3 Bosses: Ichirin > > Yuugi > > Nitori > Yoshika > Hong > Keine > Alice
Stage 4 Bosses: Minamitsu Motherfuckin' Murasa > Prismriver Sisters > Patchy > Marisa > Aya > Reimu > > Seiga
Satori is across the spectrum.
Stage 5 Bosses: Shou > > Orin > Sakuya > Youmu > Sanae > Reisen > Futo
Final Bosses: Utsuho > Byakuren > Remilia > Eirin > Yuyuko > Kaguya > Kanako > Miko Extra Bosses: Flandre > Koishi > Nue > Yukari > Mokou > Ran > Mamizou > Suwako

Suwako's harder for her danmaku, but Mamizou's harder for - suprise! - lack of resources.

Hey man, what difficulty are we talking here? Because I may be out of practice, but I was also out of practice when I one-shot Yukari. And I died seven times on stage five, normal mode, not even the boss. The only games I can say that for are EoSD and SA.

If these are comparisons on normal mode, I can understand, but any higher and I think that list needs some rearranging.

Yamame is hardest? The fuck?

Parsee WAS NOT hard. >=[ And why is Chiruno even up there?

Yuugi always gave me more trouble than Ichirin, and I found Alice (on higher difficulties) to be an absolute demon.

Normalmode Murasa isn't all that hard, I'd say Prismriver Sisters and Pathouli have her there.

In my opinion, Sakuya is easy when you understand her mechanics. I'd say even Reisen gave me more trouble (though EoSD was my first game).

Utsuho is a very straightforward boss, and the only thing that I think made her hard was the lousy continue system. That's where half of the difficulty in SA, MoF, and UFO came from. Byakuren was easyshit for me, and I think Kanako kicked my ass more often.

Flandre's top? There are parts of me that disagree, but I guess it makes sense. Suwako's cards look easy as shit, but I haven't really fought her.

Keep going man, I haven't been this talkative of Touhou for a while now. Still, I agree TD is easier than most games, but not by much. I don't see what all the complaining is. Collecting lives is harder than SA, where you had five fragments and got one for spellcards AND attacks that you passed, where in TD, you gain them fairly randomly and only in spellcards you pass. UFO on the other hand, too many lives.

I just don't see why everyone declares it as a disappointment when, in my opinion, it fits well with PCB and IN. I personally got sick of SA's difficulty, though I'm pleased to see the return of the old continue system.

Jesus, this post was longer than anticipated.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
Re: The Absolutely Standard Difficulty Tiering Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
Stage 1:  Yamame --> Nazrin --> Minoriko --> Yuyuko --> Rumia --> Letty --> Wriggle (going off of lunatic)
Stage 2: Kogasa --> Kyouko --> Parsee --> Mystia --> Hina --> Chen --> Cirno (going off of hard mode, haven't played enough lunatic past stage 1 on some of these)
Stage 3: Ichirin --> Yoshika --> Meiling --> Nitori --> Yuugi --> Keine --> Alice (going off of hard again)
Stage 4: Marisa --> Reimu --> Patchouli --> Prismrivers --> Aya --> Seiga --> Satori --> Murasa (also off hard)
Stage 5: Orin --> Shou --> Reisen --> Youmu --> Futo --> Sanae --> Sakuya (hard again)
Stage 6: Byakuren --> Miko --> Kanako --> Kaguya --> Yuyuko --> Remilia --> Utsuho (hard)
extra: Mamizou --> Koishi --> Nue --> Mokou = Yukari -->Flandre --> Suwako --> Ran

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
It's pretty difficult to rank them as it is, but I think it's impossible to rank them according to every difficulty. Some bosses can vary wildly in difficulty between levels. ;^^ But sure, if I ignore that rule and go straight for lunatic/extra, I can give my opinion. This is based solely off of danmaku difficulty. Oh, and for sake of fair comparison, I count SoEW stage 4 and 5 as stage 5 and 6. And because Satori varies so much between shot types, I'm using Reimu A's version - the one I've fought the most.

Stage 1 boss: Yamame>Nazrin>Minoriko>Rika>Yuyuko>Letty>Wriggle>Rumia>Orange>Sara

Stage 2 boss: Kogasa>Chen>Kyouko>Mystia>Cirno>Luize>Meira>Kurumi>Hina>Parsee

Stage 3 boss: PCB Alice>Keine>Ichirin>Nitori>Elly>Meiling>Yuugi>Magic Stones>Yoshika>MS Alice

Stage 4 boss: Satori>Patchouli>LLS Reimu>IN Marisa>Murasa>LLS Marisa>IN Reimu>Aya>Prismriver Sisters>Seiga>Yuki/Mai

Stage 5 boss: Shou>Yumeko>Orin>SoEW Marisa>Sakuya>Youmu>Sanae>Yuka>Reisen>Futo

Stage 6 boss: Byakuren>Remilia>Miko>Eirin>Kaguya>Utsuho>Yuyuko>Shinki>Kanako>Yuka>Mima

Extra boss: EX Rika>Mamizou>Mokou>Yukari>Nue>Mugetsu/Gengetsu>Ran>Suwako>EX Alice>Koishi>Flandre

Note that my opinions are extremely warped because of the extent that I've played this series. Bosses that I once would have rated highly now rank near the bottom because I've overanalyzed them. ;^^
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »
Going off normal mode for the three games I've 1cc'd (EoSD, PCB, IN), and purely from the difficulty of the danmaku (otherwise it'd go EoSD>PCB>IN, due to the amount of resources you get):

Stage 1: Wriggle>Letty>Rumia
Stage 2: Mystia>Chen>Cirno
Stage 3: Keine>China>Alice
Stage 4: Prismrivers>Patchouli>Reimu
Stage 5: Reisen>Sakuya>Youmu
Final: Remilia>Eirin>Kaguya>Yuyuko

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »
I'm pretty surprised Flandre got ranked by y'all as lowly as she did :I
I can't get over the whole "only 4 lives hahaha" deal with TH6's extra

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »
Going by Hard mode on EoSD, PCB and IN (the only games I have):

Stage 1: Letty>Rumia>Wriggle
Stage 2: Chen>Cirno + Mystia (tie)
Stage 3: Meiling>Alice>Keine (but they're pretty much all on the same level AKA hard for me)
Stage 4: Marisa>Patchouli>Prismrivers>Reimu
Stage 5: Sakuya>Reisen>Youmu
Stage 6: Kaguya>Eirin>Remilia>Yuyuko
Extra: Flandre>Yukari>Mokou>Ran

I find Flandre the hardest because I can't even get to her with 4 lives most of the time, also her cards are pretty challenging.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 07:00:17 PM »
From the games i've played (mostly normal modo impressions):

Stage1: Yuyuko > Yamame > Minoriko > Rumia
Stage2: Parsee > Kyouko > Cirno > Hina
Stage3: Yoshika > Yugi > Meiling > Nitori
Stage4: Patchouli > Satori > Aya > Seiga (though i havent fought Satori with anyone but ReimuA)
Stage5: Orin > Sakuya > Sanae > Futo
Stage6: Utsuho > Kanako > Remilia > Miko
Extra: Flandre >> Suwako
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 07:34:06 PM »
Going by Hard mode on EoSD, PCB and IN (the only games I have):

Stage 1: Letty>Rumia>Wriggle
Stage 2: Chen>Cirno + Mystia (tie)
Stage 3: Meiling>Alice>Keine (but they're pretty much all on the same level AKA hard for me)
Stage 4: Marisa>Patchouli>Prismrivers>Reimu
Stage 5: Sakuya>Reisen>Youmu
Stage 6: Kaguya>Eirin>Remilia>Yuyuko
Extra: Flandre>Yukari>Mokou>Ran

I find Flandre the hardest because I can't even get to her with 4 lives most of the time, also her cards are pretty challenging.

I agree with most of this, except Youmu > Reisen, Remilia > Eirin and Yukari > Flandre

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »
Ahh, now here's an interesting question to ponder.  I haven't played any of PC-98 games, so my ratings are limited to the Windows series.  These ratings are also very subjective...I'm rating them on how hard they are TO ME, rather than how hard I think they are in general.

Stage 1: Minoriko > Nazrin > Yamame > Letty > Yuyuko > Wriggle > Rumia
Stage 2: Parsee > Kogasa > Hina > Kyouko > Chen > Cirno > Mystia
Stage 3: Ichirin > Yuugi > Alice > Nitori > Keine > Yoshika > Meiling
Stage 4: Aya > Satori > CAPTAIN MURASA > Seiga & Yoshika > Prismrivers > Marisa > Reimu > Patchouli
Stage 5: ORIN > SHOU > Youmu > Sanae > Reisen > Sakuya > Futo
Stage 6: Kanako > Byakuren > Utsuho > Remilia > Yuyuko > Kaguya > Eirin > Miko
Stage EX: Marisa >> Koishi > Nue > Suwako > Mamizou > Mokou > Yukari > Ran > Flandre

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
Not counting IN because I just realized I haven't played it outside of Spell Practice in AGES now, to the point where I don't think I can judge them fairly. I need to get back into that game...

Also not counting UFO because I've been attempting to forget that game exists.

Stage 1: Yamame > Yuyuko > Rumia > Minoriko > Letty
Stage 2: Parsee > Cirno > Kyouko > Chen > MoF has a stage 2 boss?
Stage 3: Yuugi > Nitori > Yoshika > Meiling > Alice
Stage 4: Patchouli > Aya > Prismrivers > Seiga (Satori is Satori)
Stage 5: Orin > Sakuya > Youmu > Sanae > Futo
Stage 6: Remilia > Miko > Yuyuko > Utsuho > Kanako
Extra: Mamizou > Koishi > Flandre > Yukari > Suwako > Ran
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:45:46 PM by Malkyrian »

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »
Oh boy a difficulty level opinions thread
From hardest to easiest on Lunatic, UFO excluded because I haven't played it:
S1: Yamame, Yuyuko, Minoriko, Letty, Rumia, Wriggle
S2: Kyouko, Hina, Chen, Parsee, Mystia, Cirno
S3: Yuugi, Alice, Keine, Nitori, Yoshika, Meiling
S4: Satori, Aya, Laserball lady, Marisa, Patchouli, Prismrivers
S5: Orin, Sanae, Sakuya, Youmu, Arrow lass, Reisen
S6: Remilia, Kanako, Kaguya, Eirin, Yuyuko

Reimu exclued because I use Border Team, Miko excluded because I've never fought her legitimately, Utsuho excluded because I haven't hit her in a real run yet. Also keep in mind I only 1cced MoF, TD, and EoSD last month so I'm not nearly as familiar with them as I am PCB and IN.

Edit: wups extra stages
Extra: Koishi, Mamizou, Nue, Flandre, Suwako, Yukari, Mokou, Ran
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:25:03 PM by Vibri »

Drake

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 11:26:45 PM »
Rather than taking the lazy and nigh-inaccurate method of just generalizing stages and difficulties and shot types, it might be best for everyone to just make a fuckhuge google doc for a bunch of touhou communities and have individual people fill in what they think about every situation, omitting difficulties and shot types they haven't tried, and then submitting it into a big database of difficulty tiers.

Otherwise it would be incredibly silly to call it "standard" or "absolute" in any way. Even then it's just estimation, technically.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Vibri

• but the night is long
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 11:32:36 PM »
There can't really be a 'standard' difficulty ranking to begin with because people aren't standardized. They're good at different things and know or learn different things at different rates. Nobody's ever going to definitively prove that one boss is harder than another (or even that one spellcard or nonspell is harder than another in many cases.) It's just interesting to find out what other people think and why they think that.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »
Rather than taking the lazy and nigh-inaccurate method of just generalizing stages and difficulties and shot types, it might be best for everyone to just make a fuckhuge google doc for a bunch of touhou communities and have individual people fill in what they think about every situation, omitting difficulties and shot types they haven't tried, and then submitting it into a big database of difficulty tiers.

Otherwise it would be incredibly silly to call it "standard" or "absolute" in any way. Even then it's just estimation, technically.

This would be awesome. I wanted to make a chart that took everyones opinions into account and made an average, but so few had replied when I started making it, so I just made a completely unscientific chart with extra stuff to occupy myself instead. I should have added more extra stuff...

Bosses I haven't tried lately are left out, and I tried taking more difficulties than lunatic into account , but it's hard to relate to them now.

"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »
Stage 1 bosses: Nazrin > Minoriko > Kurodani > Letty > Wriggle > Yuyuko > Rumia > Rika > Chen Orange > Sara
Stage 2 bosses: Kogasa > Louise > Parsee > Hina > Chen > Mystia > Kurumi > Cirno > Kyouko
Stage 3 bosses: Yuugi > Ichirin and Unzan > MS Alice > Elly > Nitori > Keine > PCB Alice > Hong Mi Rin Kurenai Misuzu China Hong Meiling > Yoshika
Stage 4 bosses: IN Reimu > IN Marisa > Prismriver Sisters when I do end up with Merlin > Satori at her most horrifying > Prismriver Sisters when I don't end up with Merlin > LLS Reimu > Minamitsu Murasa > Aya > LLS Marisa > Satori at her easiest > Patchouli > Seiga
Stage 5 bosses: Rin > Shou > Yuuka > Sakuya > Youmu > Reisen > Sanae > Mononobe no Futo
Stage 6 bosses: Yuuka > Byakuren > Eirin > Yuyuko > Kanako > Remilia > Kaguya > Utsuho > Toyosatomimi no Miko

Extra bosses: Koishi > Nue > Gengetsu > Flandre > Mamizou > Mokou > Yukari > Ran > Suwako

Yukari and Ran have easy cards and give a lot of resources
Mamizou is harder than a lot because she's the Ebenezer Scrooge of resources
Suwako has a decent amount of resources (I think SIX LIVES), near-limitless bomb system, and her danmaku is medium-range.
Koishi's just brainrape
Nue, I can rarely get to her with more than 2 lives and 0 bombs.
Mokou's just a jerk
Flandre's just Flandre
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:46:43 AM by Esupanitix »
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 12:22:35 AM »

This would be awesome. I wanted to make a chart that took everyones opinions into account and made an average, but so few had replied when I started making it, so I just made a completely unscientific chart with extra stuff to occupy myself instead. I should have added more extra stuff...

Bosses I haven't tried lately are left out, and I tried taking more difficulties than lunatic into account , but it's hard to relate to them now.

Hold on, how are you evaluating these categories?

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 01:02:31 AM »
Hold on, how are you evaluating these categories?

It's all subjective and mostly thought of in relation to the bosses on the same level.
Overall: How hard the boss is compared to other stage 1 bosses.
Resources: How much you can bomb/border break/trance/die before you botched your 1cc (value not to be taken literally)
Strategy: Unconventional stuff you can do that may trivialize certain parts of the fight (like how you can move up to the top left corner to and dodge Aya's first card without having to fear getting walled)
Memorization: How previous experience will help you in the fight (stuff like knowing not to shoot at Parsee's clone in her second spell, or remembering a path through a static attack)
Density: How valuable precise control is in the fight
Speed: How valuable good reactions and fast reading will be in the fight
Complexity: How much nonlinear trajectories and unconventional stuff you have to make in the fight (like when you have to misdirect the lasers in Yuyuko's Swallowtail butterfly)
Cheapness: How much angst and grievance the boss has caused you  :V

Immortal Momiji!

Drake

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 01:28:24 AM »
But those categories shouldn't all have the same weight either, and some seem just redundant. People aren't going to magically know that they botched a 1cc by using a certain amount of resources; at best that's just the point they restart. "Strategy" being mainly safespots and things like that completely invalidates the original intent of difficulty and shouldn't be taken into account when people rate. Having an actual strategy going into a card is also redundant since you can't judge a card otherwise. "Memorization" such as what you described is pretty much second-nature; if anything it would be something like "do you need to have an exact path you take every time you play even if the card doesn't innately require it" which would be difficult to really quantify. Cheapness is basically a function of the other useful categories combined with "how often do you perceive that you die unfairly" which is pretty unreliable information.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 01:56:45 AM »
Not to mention that each person's perceptions of boss traits will depend greatly on their skill level.  I think we could only get fair, "standard" statistics if we factored in the stats of each person who submits.  But then things would get rather complicated.

Vibri

• but the night is long
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »
I'm a level 53 Chuffleguff with a minor in Sensationalist Tapestry. Make sure you factor my dex bonus into my stats guys thanks

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 02:29:38 AM »
How about we make a different thread where we create a sort of ranking based on the different attributes (reflex / speed / etc) and then apply those to the outline (which would be based on everyone playing the boss and rating them based on their attributes like memo and spam)

Drake

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 02:59:01 AM »
It would be better if there were a centralized effort and perhaps a committee of sorts formed. A committee with some sort of representation for each portion of the WTF would be ideal. Simply asking people isn't going to yield any reliable or in-depth results. I was sort of working on a basic outline, but currently I don't have the time to invest to realize it. Moreover, the method I'm looking at is really in-depth and pretty reliant on calculations and statistics, so I'm not exactly sure how to implement it besides building the survey ground-up somehow.

If you really want to have something like this done, you have to do it right, though.

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 04:33:12 AM »
^What Drake said.
Another issue is getting a representative sample ;;
How many people are there on shrinemaiden.org? We'd need about 10% of that, at least. And then, who actually plays the games, blah blah blah...
It would still be quite flawed and subjective, but having those estimated numbers would be undeniably useful, and kind of nice to have in our (my?) OCD minds. I'd definitely like to see it done, but it has to be done at least as well as a 'scientific' Psychology experiment (a.k.a to a subpar, vaguely accurate standard :V:)
Hard 1ccs
Completed: IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS

Extra 1ccs
Completed: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 07:42:03 AM »
Ones marked with a * are ones I've not actually faced, so are based on replay and what I've heard.

Based on Normal Modo.

Stage 1: Nazrin > Yuyuko > Minoriko > Letty/Wriggle > Yamame > Rumia [Seriously I find Yamame a joke, and Rumia is easily the easiest boss in Touhou ever]

Stage 2: Kogasa > Parsee > Hina > Cirno > Chen > Mystcia > Kyouko

Parsee is more 'Once you figure out what to do she's OK'. Kogasa always has the chance of blindsideing you with an umbrella on her 1st boss spell, and her last one is grusome. Kyouko's spells are all easy, only her nonspells are any challenge at all, while Mystcia can at least mess you up if you're unlucky and get trapped.. Cirno and Chen have Perfect Freeze and Chen's last spell. Hina has her midboss spell.

Stage 3: Ichirin >>> Nitori > Keine > Yuugi > Alice > Meiling > Yoshika

Ichirin is easily the hardest Stage 3 boss. I find Nitori the worst after that because of tightly packed lasers, her 2nd spell, and her 2nd and 3rd nonspells are easy to clip. Keine's nonspells are dangerous, and TST:Orb is an autobomb for me.

I can actually beat Yuugi quite easily. Especially since I've only faced her a few times.

Alice can be nasty sometimes with Foggy London Dolls.

Even Meiling's 'random' spells have a degree of a pattern to them, at least on Normal. Generally on Coulorful Rain below her is safe, and Typhoon is rather easy dodgeing.

Yoshika is easy, just tedious.

Stage 4 [Satori is not counted]:
Marisa > Primsrivers > Murasa > Aya > Patchouli > Seiga > Reimu

I've stated many times why I HATE Marisa on IN.
The Primsrivers are an average difficulty. If you're using Sakuya it's equal with Marisa.
I can actually fight Murasa... it's the stage beforehand that does me in. I end up at her with no resources.
Aya's difficult, but nothing Bombspam can't take care of, especially as her first spell gives you a +1 power anyway.
Patch is a pain, and EoSD's different hitboxes don't help.
Seiga has curvy lasers, kunais, and knives.  One of which can be hard to predict, the other two are notorious for wonky hitboxes. Throw in Yoshika, and you get the picture.
Reimu is 90% memorisation. Except Fantasy Seal Spread. But to be fair I do use the Scarlet Team, which makes Reimu significantly easier than the Magic Team does.

Stage 5:

Orin > Shou * > Youmu > Sakuya > Reisen > Sanae > Futo

Orin is... Orin.
Shou has Curvy lasers, and hard spells all round.
Youmu's spells are also hard, the bullet-time effects can really put you off. Her nonspells are hardly easy.
Sakuya at least grows in difficulty as the fight goes on, the first spell and nonspell are OK.
Reisen... I hate Idleing Wave, and when I move just a little too much/little I tend to die.
Sanae I beat on my first try, though not without a few lives/bombs.
Futo is easy, especially once you find the slide through spots on her 2nd and 3rd nonspells.

Stage 6:
Byakuren * > Utusho * > Remillia > Yuyuko/Kanako > Kaguya > Eirin > Miko

Byakuren and Utusho are from the 2 hardest games, and I have faced Utusho on Easy... but this is based on Normal.
Remi has bullet blurr and Scarlet Gensokyo/Whatever it's called on normal I've never made it that far
I find Yuyuko and Kanako roughly equal in difficulty. I've only got to Yuyuko once, but I've fought Kanako many times and failed.
Yes, I find Kaguya harder than Eirin. For me, the only tricky part of Eirin is Apollo 13, and Astronomical Entombing because Sakuya's shot power sucks.
Miko is the only final boss I've BEATEN on Normal. So yeah.

Extra/Phantasm Bosses:

I've only fought three, so I can't really compare these. Of the three I've fought:

Mokou > Flandre > Mamizou

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 11:39:44 AM »
But those categories shouldn't all have the same weight either, and some seem just redundant. People aren't going to magically know that they botched a 1cc by using a certain amount of resources; at best that's just the point they restart. "Strategy" being mainly safespots and things like that completely invalidates the original intent of difficulty and shouldn't be taken into account when people rate. Having an actual strategy going into a card is also redundant since you can't judge a card otherwise. "Memorization" such as what you described is pretty much second-nature; if anything it would be something like "do you need to have an exact path you take every time you play even if the card doesn't innately require it" which would be difficult to really quantify. Cheapness is basically a function of the other useful categories combined with "how often do you perceive that you die unfairly" which is pretty unreliable information.

Although they shouldn't have the same weight, I believe they are all useful when evaluating why a certain boss is (or isn't) difficult. Memorization might be hard to quantify, but it's good to know for someone who is struggling with a certain attack or boss to know that it's only because they haven't found a good path, seeing how everyone ranked it a 10 in memorization, but like 2 in density/speed. Having a strategy wasn't exactly what I meant with that stat, but rather how much tricks and cheese you can pull off against this boss. This is useful as the statistics will later show that people who ranked Orin low in overall difficulty will also think it's a fight you can cheese to win, which is very useful to know for anyone looking for help with the fight. Cheapness is just a joke stat.

It would be better if there were a centralized effort and perhaps a committee of sorts formed. A committee with some sort of representation for each portion of the WTF would be ideal. Simply asking people isn't going to yield any reliable or in-depth results. I was sort of working on a basic outline, but currently I don't have the time to invest to realize it. Moreover, the method I'm looking at is really in-depth and pretty reliant on calculations and statistics, so I'm not exactly sure how to implement it besides building the survey ground-up somehow.

If you really want to have something like this done, you have to do it right, though.

This sounds interesting, I hope you get around to finish your idea, or get other people to start something like this up.

Immortal Momiji!