Author Topic: Cubase Questions  (Read 2355 times)

Cubase Questions
« on: December 31, 2011, 02:41:00 AM »
Hello...I'm looking into replicating some of the sound effects that ZUN has used in his compositions. Among them are the effect that he used on the piano solo in Retrospective 53 Minutes' Hiroshige #36. I know that's a vague description, but I'd really appreciate any insight into how to replicate this effect in Cubase. Additionally, I'm looking for the "powering up" sound that ZUN used in the beginning of Retribution For the Eternal Night from Eiyashou. Any help with either of these is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: Cubase Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:49:14 AM »
I'll try to explain things from a more general perspective.

Many of ZUN's instruments (including the ZUNpet, flute, and the UFO/TD reeds) are from the Edirol SD-90, a hardware sound module from 2001-2. They are rather uncommon and fetch high (~US$550-600) prices on eBay, generally speaking. He also is known to use Groove Agent 3, Virtual Guitarist, and I think some HALion One (eg. pianos) as well for some of the other instruments (pianos, guitars, drums), and uses Cubase as a primary DAW.

No idea of Hiroshige #36's piano, but going by Spaztique's TTS-1 rendition of the latter song it's a heavily layered sound that is quite hard to replicate.

I'll extend the rest of the answer and correction to others, particularly Cubase users as I'm more based in Logic and Sonar, as well as hardware synths (SD-90 owner here).

C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 04:45:04 AM »
Additionally, I'm looking for the "powering up" sound that ZUN used in the beginning of Retribution For the Eternal Night from Eiyashou.
He used the SD-80/90 Special 2 Set Digital Drone patch~
(SD-80 owner~)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:47:53 AM by Pie God »

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 04:09:05 PM »
Excellent, thanks for the help!