Author Topic: How to upload Touhou videos in HD quality Tutorial  (Read 307445 times)

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
Re: How to upload Touhou videos in HD quality Tutorial
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »
That does in fact make it look much better! It's not perfect though. Some colors still look off-color.
What are you trying to play it back with?  If you're not using it, VLC or MPlayer (with any GUI you want) you might want to give those a shot since any software that might be doing some behind-the-scenes color correction with Avisynth (I think Haali's Media Splitter can) might alter them a bit, and VLC/MPlayer don't use it.

I would try adding --colormatrix bt709 to the x264 arguments so it'll be flagged in the video's bitstream.  That might fix playback problems with some software.

Also, some color correction options for video playback in video card's drivers can muck things up on playback, and IIRC some GPU/driver combos can cause some weirdness when using hardware acceleration.  You could try taking a short clip of the video after it has been encoded and upload it to Mediafire or something, take some screenshots of the problem areas in that video, and maybe some people ITT can take a look at whether we see the same off-color parts as you have in your screenshots.

Have you tried 'matrix="pc.601"' to see if the the results were better or worse than the pc.709 option?
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2010, 02:14:46 AM »
What are you trying to play it back with?  If you're not using it, VLC or MPlayer (with any GUI you want) you might want to give those a shot since any software that might be doing some behind-the-scenes color correction with Avisynth (I think Haali's Media Splitter can) might alter them a bit, and VLC/MPlayer don't use it.
I'm just looking at what they look like before encoding. MeGUI shows you a preview what what it will look like after you put the options into the script creator. (btw, that IS what it will really look like after it's completely done, I've tested this before)

I would try adding --colormatrix bt709 to the x264 arguments so it'll be flagged in the video's bitstream.  That might fix playback problems with some software.
No good, that didn't make a difference.

Also, some color correction options for video playback in video card's drivers can muck things up on playback, and IIRC some GPU/driver combos can cause some weirdness when using hardware acceleration.  You could try taking a short clip of the video after it has been encoded and upload it to Mediafire or something, take some screenshots of the problem areas in that video, and maybe some people ITT can take a look at whether we see the same off-color parts as you have in your screenshots.
I'll do just that in a bit, and fix this post when I do.

Have you tried 'matrix="pc.601"' to see if the the results were better or worse than the pc.709 option?
601 looks a very tiny bit nicer. Not much to tell by though, yet I can see it.

One very good example of seeing this: Open up Touhou 2 in your preferred emulator, and run it just to see the color of the stats icons (the yellow ones) and notice how brightly colored they are. Now go to Donut's video of his Touhou 2 1cc and look there. He has the same color problems I do.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2010, 04:31:42 AM »
Uploaded here.

I put in the zip file the original recording, the recording after MeGUI killed it (muxed) and some images of the videos taken from fraps from windows media player. (media player isn't changing the color, since MeGUI shows it will be that way anyway)

I also just realized the scaling on the muxed is messed up. It needed 30 more pixels vertically. I went to MeGUI to see if this was the problem while I typed this and it didn't change anything.
TF2 Backpack

Barrakketh

« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2010, 07:02:32 PM »
I'll have to do some more testing, but try updating x264.  If your build is older than about two months (see this) then it might help.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2010, 03:45:06 AM »
Everything on MeGUI is updated. I'm pretty sure x264 is also since the update button does nothing.

Also, I'm not sure what to do with that link. It's kinda confusing just to look at.
TF2 Backpack

Barrakketh

« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2010, 10:57:45 AM »
Everything on MeGUI is updated. I'm pretty sure x264 is also since the update button does nothing.
MeGUI hasn't had an update since July, and the x264 bugfix/feature I linked was in September.

Also, I'm not sure what to do with that link. It's kinda confusing just to look at.
Just a reference.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »
After using the awesome powers of Google, I figured out MeGUI does NOT update x264. You have to do it manually. I updated to, what I think is but not sure, a later version of x264. It made a difference. The color looks much better now. Still not perfect but now it's getting closer.
TF2 Backpack

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Well, I did some more research on Google and came across this.
So I used for the script:
Code: [Select]
BicubicResize(960, 630, 0, 0.5) # Bicubic (Neutral)
ConvertToYUY2(matrix="pc.601")
This kept the color exactly (as far as I can tell) perfect. There's only one problem with this. When you go to AutoEncode, it says this:
The colorspace of your clip is not in YV12...
Do you want me to add ConvertToYV12() to the end of your script ?
If you click no, it then says:
Your AviSynth clip has the following problem:
You didn't want me to append ConvertToYV12(). You'll have to fix the colorspace problem yourself.
Continue anyway?
When I say yes, and look at the finished result, the color is better by a little but it seems slightly blurry.
I wonder if there's a way to fix this whole thing, or should I stop using MeGUI and use something else to put my vids in HD?
TF2 Backpack

Barrakketh

« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2010, 01:47:29 AM »
x264 largely requires the source video to be in the YV12 format.  If you're using an Avisynth script and it is being processed by an x264 binary that was built with AVS support then that is also true.  If you're using other sources (either FFMS2 or  libavcodec support, assuming it was compile with such) it'll handle that internally.

Sometime between now and tomorrow I'll try encoding your source video through x264 (libavcodec), ffmpeg (using libx264), and mencoder (again using libx264).  Odds are I'll try to get at least one lossless version, and I'll have them both scaled and unscaled (since colors are being "made up" to fill in the additional pixels and may make it look a bit off).

It is entirely possible that the slight color differences you're seeing may be due to chroma subsampling.  The human eye is less sensitive to changes/movement of color than luminance, and a variety of methods exist to store image information with luminance data than color.  This is normal, and most media you're exposed to (DVDs (MPEG2), Blu-ray (H.264), streaming HD video, JPEGs, etc.) do this.

EDIT: Here is the first set.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:14:35 AM by Barrakketh »

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2010, 04:32:22 PM »
Um, that set you gave out. It doesn't look like anything. They're all 5 seconds long and have nothing but a gray screen on Movie Maker.
TF2 Backpack

Barrakketh

« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »
Um, that set you gave out. It doesn't look like anything. They're all 5 seconds long and have nothing but a gray screen on Movie Maker.
They play back fine in VLC or MPlayer and are 12 seconds long.  The first four videos are unlikely to play through something like Windows Movie Maker (if it uses ffdshow or CoreAVC then it might), but they are lossless videos that also use a different method of storing colors.  5-8 will probably be more agreeable with most decoders.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2010, 08:00:38 AM »
They play back fine in VLC or MPlayer and are 12 seconds long.  The first four videos are unlikely to play through something like Windows Movie Maker (if it uses ffdshow or CoreAVC then it might), but they are lossless videos that also use a different method of storing colors.  5-8 will probably be more agreeable with most decoders.
They don't play. I've tried Media Player, Quick Time, Virtual Dub, and MeGUI, along with Movie Maker, since that's how my computer recognizes the file format. Everything else either throws up an error or doesn't see it altogether.
TF2 Backpack

Barrakketh

« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2010, 04:15:23 PM »
They don't play. I've tried Media Player, Quick Time, Virtual Dub, and MeGUI, along with Movie Maker, since that's how my computer recognizes the file format. Everything else either throws up an error or doesn't see it altogether.
On my computer it plays on:

• Media Player Classic HC
  • Windows Media Player
  • MeGUI
  • VLC
  • MPlayer
  • Avidemux2, though you do have to use the avsproxy to make it happy.

You might need to install CCCP or a newer version of it, though some of the above apps (like VLC) don't need it.  MeGUI will be using DirectShowSource to open it.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2010, 07:40:42 PM »
Nope. Avidemux2 doesn't work. It opens but has 0 frames (no matter how I open it) and will play nothing indefinitely. I tried that CCCP also but it won't install because "I don't have DirectX 9" when I clearly have all the way up to DirectX 11 via dxdiag. Doesn't look like I'll ever be able to play these.

I guess I'll just stick to what I have and hopefully MeGUI will cooperate.
TF2 Backpack

Barrakketh

« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2010, 07:57:08 PM »
Nope. Avidemux2 doesn't work. It opens but has 0 frames (no matter how I open it) and will play nothing indefinitely.
DId you use the avsproxy like I said?   I use FFMS2 (Avisynth plugin) with the provided avsproxy_gui.exe in the Avidemux2 folder and it works fine.

I tried that CCCP also but it won't install because "I don't have DirectX 9" when I clearly have all the way up to DirectX 11 via dxdiag.
I'm willing to bet you don't have DirectX 9.  Just because Vista/Win7 may come with DX10/11 does not mean that they have DX9 installed.  I use Vista and still had to install DirectX from the redistributable for some of my DX9 games to run.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
DId you use the avsproxy like I said?   I use FFMS2 (Avisynth plugin) with the provided avsproxy_gui.exe in the Avidemux2 folder and it works fine.
I'm not quite sure how to do that. Mind helping me out?

I'm willing to bet you don't have DirectX 9.  Just because Vista/Win7 may come with DX10/11 does not mean that they have DX9 installed.  I use Vista and still had to install DirectX from the redistributable for some of my DX9 games to run.
Tried installing that. It failed from the start. It said to check dxdiag and stuff but they don't report any problems. ??? I'm also sure I have it because the latest Touhou games wouldn't run, right? Since they need DirectX 9.
TF2 Backpack

Barrakketh

« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
I'm not quite sure how to do that. Mind helping me out?
Download FFMS2, copy ffms2.dll and ffmsindex.exe to your Avisynth plugins directory (for me that is C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins).

Open avsproxy_gui.exe (in the Avidemux2 folder), and on the first tab pick the file you want to view, and if it has no audio check "Disable Audio encoding & delivery"   (I excluded audio from mine, so check it).  Then click "Create Proxy".  I believe it'll open Avidemux by default (if you click "Show Details" there is a checkbox to automatically open it).

Tried installing that. It failed from the start. It said to check dxdiag and stuff but they don't report any problems. ??? I'm also sure I have it because the latest Touhou games wouldn't run, right? Since they need DirectX 9.
DirectX is a weird thing, because there are lots of DirectX libraries that are different (newer ones that ship with each release) that vary by their version number.  One game might want Directx9_36.dll, others might use Directx9_34.dll, and a new game could come out that uses Directx9_37.dll that isn't installed because you have an older version of DirectX 9.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »
All righty. That worked! Now we can get back to the original topic. :V

Yeah, anyway, after watching those vids, they weren't' that impressive. The coloring is way off.
TF2 Backpack

Barrakketh

« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »
Yeah, anyway, after watching those vids, they weren't' that impressive. The coloring is way off.
More than yours, or about the same after the color matrix changes?

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2010, 12:21:20 AM »
It's worse than any that I've produced. Noting the yellow test on the sides, they seem way to bleached out.

Well, after I updated x264 a while ago, it's much better. Still, if I could use ConvertToYUY2(matrix="pc.601"), that would solve it all. Dumb MeGUI MUST have it as YV12.
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »
Now that Youtube has considerably raised the time limits for videos i was thinking of uploading full videos instead of videos in parts. Then one problem arises with VirtuaDub. Since this thread basically says to use the program i believe this is the appropriate place to inquire for help.

When Fraps records the videos it splits them up into segments of 4 GB each. So VirtuaDub is needed to join them. But whenever i try joining three or more segments together the file ends up much larger than it should be.

The problem is that the program for some reason copies the segments so that a video that would've been 9 minutes long is suddenly 15 minutes long because part of the video is being looped.

Is this just something that happens to me and does anyone know how to fix it? If not, does anyone know of a good program to remove the unwanted extra part of the video? Preferably one that doesn't cost that much or is free. Thanks in advance.

« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »
the camstudio method?
FlANnnnN :P

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »
the camstudio method?
Well, you could use camstudio, but it's not exactly the best recording software. In fact, it doesn't record properly either for most people. (it doesn't see my sound card) The video often ends up very choppy, and it misses many frames and lags everything, mostly because it has to record with a codec, so it's encoding while recording. Unlike fraps which records uncompressed.

I'm not sure what's happening with VirtualDub. I'll go and test a vid with it the same way you did and see what happens, when I've got the time.
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »
Well, you could use camstudio, but it's not exactly the best recording software. In fact, it doesn't record properly either for most people. (it doesn't see my sound card) The video often ends up very choppy, and it misses many frames and lags everything, mostly because it has to record with a codec, so it's encoding while recording. Unlike fraps which records uncompressed.

I'm not sure what's happening with VirtualDub. I'll go and test a vid with it the same way you did and see what happens, when I've got the time.
I have to buy fraps and I'm not really allowed because of the age.  :(
FlANnnnN :P

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2011, 10:42:34 PM »
oh ffs

Will write it again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:42:34 PM by Jaimers »

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2011, 01:06:46 AM »
It all sounds awesome to me. I'll have to try that. Also, why do you have the compression quality at 85%?

I would also LIKE to record sound from the realtek audio stuff but I can't get that on my computer. It is a realtek compatible sound card but the installer doesn't work. So if I have to do that, I have to unplug my speakers and put the cable in the mic jack, which gives out fuzz, while I can't hear. (plugging in headphones cancels out the mic audio) Retarded huh?
TF2 Backpack

Barrakketh

« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2011, 01:18:24 AM »
I'm more curious about why he isn't using Lanczos4Resize.  It's recommended when upscaling because it retains more detail and produces a sharper image than bicubic resizing.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2011, 01:24:45 PM »
Also, why do you have the compression quality at 85%?

I tried putting it higher once but that gave horrible frame stuttering to the video.

As for your sound problem, I think you can always record the audio right from your speakers by enabling Stereo Mix in your computer's sound configuration? Not sure.

I'm more curious about why he isn't using Lanczos4Resize.

Probably because I've never heard of it.  :V
I guess I'll try that next time, thanks.

EDIT:
OK I tried using Lanczos4 this time.
Yeah, it seems better. Editing my above post.

Should I also use Lanczos4 for the Windows games?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:27:58 PM by Jaimers »

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »
As for your sound problem, I think you can always record the audio right from your speakers by enabling Stereo Mix in your computer's sound configuration? Not sure.
That's the problem. Windows 7 doesn't come built in with Realtek, and Realtek is the program that lets that show up. I've followed every site I can find about this problem and at the moment, it isn't solvable, unless I switch back to XP or something. (and yes, I have it set to show disabled and disconnected devices)
Oh well...
TF2 Backpack

Barrakketh

« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »
EDIT:
OK I tried using Lanczos4 this time.
Yeah, it seems better. Editing my above post.

Should I also use Lanczos4 for the Windows games?
Yeah.  It's generally recommended when upscaling any original source material.

Now, out of curiosity are you using Constant Quality instead of bitrate/Const. Quantizer?  The OP is specifying bitrate, so you might be using that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:58:19 AM by Barrakketh »