Author Topic: Touhou on Linux and MacOS X, using Wine or Virtualization  (Read 134023 times)

Re: Touhou on Linux and MacOS X, using Wine or Virtualization
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2012, 11:25:25 PM »
If the command wasn't found, it means you don't have the package. So you need to get wine first.

Thing is, I already had Wine. I wish it was that simple, though.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2012, 02:05:10 AM »
Installing Winebottler doesn't install wine. You need to install Macports, then install wine with that.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »
Installing Winebottler doesn't install wine. You need to install Macports, then install wine with that.

Well, I took a look at Macports, and apparently, I need to download Xcode and Command Line developer tools to run it. So that's two programs I have to install to install another program to run a game.

Good grief.

Is there a way that doesn't involve downloading stuff I probably won't need for anything else?

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2012, 11:21:38 PM »
Not really. Winebottler was one option, which you've already tried. Plus, if you install wine with macports, then you can actually get the dev build of wine, which is more recent than the stable one, and get updates more frequently. It's better to go that route, and the page that shows steps to download wine will have you install the stable one. So you'll have to tell it to get the development one instead.

You do need xCode, but it should be on your install CD if you have it. Since I see you running SL, the CD is the way to go. There is an App Store download for it, but I believe that it's for Lion users only. xCode is free anyway. Also, you don't want to use Apple's X11, it sucks for this. You want to download XQuartz instead.

EDIT: Seems I'm mistaken. xCode can be downloaded by your version. Also, not sure what you mean by command line tools.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:24:33 PM by Agent of the BSoD »
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

xForeverFanaticx

• Bomb ALL the Spellcards!
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »
Was wondering:

-Does Danmakufu (0.12m) work with Wineskin? I'm guessing not.
-Anybody know how to make a working wrapper for ph3?
-I was skimming the thread and noticed someone mention that the scripts aren't being read? Is there a fix to this?

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
Was wondering:

-Does Danmakufu (0.12m) work with Wineskin? I'm guessing not.
-Anybody know how to make a working wrapper for ph3?
-I was skimming the thread and noticed someone mention that the scripts aren't being read? Is there a fix to this?
1. Not to my knowledge.
2. Same as the regular Touhou games.
3. Make sure to run in Japanese locale. If it doesn't work check to make sure you have Japanese locale files installed.

Speaking of which, when I run ph3 in Ubuntu 12.04 the font size is a lot smaller than in Vista (dual-booting on the same computer), to the point where when selecting a replay the text is almost unreadable. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »
Well, I took a look at Macports, and apparently, I need to download Xcode and Command Line developer tools to run it. So that's two programs I have to install to install another program to run a game.

The Command Line Tools are not an application. As for XCode, it is necessary, and it is over one Gigabyte is size (absurd download and install time). However, Macports is the preferred way to run wine on a mac. It will also allow you to get GIMP and other apps with ease (and thtk, all of the free libraries, and a lot of other command line apps). As for Xcode, it allows you to open pretty much any property list, language script, etc so it is useful if you want to make or read executables in different languages, but besides that, it won't be of much use.

If you seriously want to run Touhou games on a mac, however, MacPorts is still a pretty good choice (WineBottler's Wine is never up to date).

« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »
Does anyone know how to translate the "portable" scripts for the later games, like
Code: [Select]
@echo off
md "%CD%\user"
set "APPDATA=%CD%\user"
start th128
to something that can be executed in bash?
The wine documentation suggests setting variables with
export APPDATA=%CD%\user, but that doesn't seem to change the profile location, or else I'm not doing it right.

« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »
Never mind, apparently wine can execute bat files, if you run them with wine start.

On an unrelated note, the main translated dialogue font (THSpatial.ttf) in games 10 and after looks badly aliased in wine. Is it like that for everyone or just me?

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2013, 10:22:20 PM »
Never mind, apparently wine can execute bat files, if you run them with wine start.

On an unrelated note, the main translated dialogue font (THSpatial.ttf) in games 10 and after looks badly aliased in wine. Is it like that for everyone or just me?

It worked well last time I checked (Wine 1.5.20, maybe?)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »
Also not an issue with 1.5.19.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2013, 12:38:43 AM »
Here's a screenshot demonstrating my issue.

Left side is a virtual machine with Windows 7, right side is in Ubuntu 12.10 (64-bit) with the latest wine development release. It looks worse in some of the other games. It seems it's not a problem with the wine version or the fonts installed with it, since it's exactly the same after a clean Ubuntu install with an unconfigured stable (1.4.1) wine package. Do you need to modify any of the default settings?

marukyuu

• "Why always ATAI?"
  • The strongest striker...?
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »
After a clean reinstall of Sabayon Linux, none of the Windows Touhou games runs at full 60 FPS anymore via Wine.
My PC is a three years old laptop w/ Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GT 240M. It might be dated hardware, but it was capable of running the games at full FPS on my previous Sabayon installation.

Fullscreen mode is unplayable due to massive FPS drops; windowed mode runs at 40 FPS on average (EoSD and PCB run at 50 FPS).
Both the Vsync Patches and the "unpatched" executables perform as stated above.
Disabling desktop effects has no impact on the framerates.
Video drivers and Wine are up-to-date.

Is there anything I can do in order to make Touhou run smoothly again?
Thanks in advance for the help.
<-- Sig by Suikama

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
After a clean reinstall of Sabayon Linux, none of the Windows Touhou games runs at full 60 FPS anymore via Wine.
My PC is a three years old laptop w/ Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GT 240M. It might be dated hardware, but it was capable of running the games at full FPS on my previous Sabayon installation.

Fullscreen mode is unplayable due to massive FPS drops; windowed mode runs at 40 FPS on average (EoSD and PCB run at 50 FPS).
Both the Vsync Patches and the "unpatched" executables perform as stated above.
Disabling desktop effects has no impact on the framerates.
Video drivers and Wine are up-to-date.

Is there anything I can do in order to make Touhou run smoothly again?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Wine Version?

Also, I can't really help b/c I don't use Linux, but if you post the Wine version, I'll check to see if I have had the same problem.

Tengukami

« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2013, 06:28:35 PM »

Sabayon is Gentoo-based, I see, but does provide proprietary drivers for graphics cards. Have you tried different drivers? What version of Wine do you use?

I'm running Crunchbang Linux using Wine 1.4.1 and have no issues with any Touhou game.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

marukyuu

• "Why always ATAI?"
  • The strongest striker...?
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2013, 08:28:32 PM »
I'm using Wine 1.5.23.
As for the GPU drivers (Nvidia Drivers v. 313.18), I'm suspecting they're the cause of the slowdowns. I'll try downgrading them and see what happens.
Thanks again for the help.

E: Downgrading the drivers did nothing.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:06:59 PM by marukyuu »
<-- Sig by Suikama

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2013, 04:11:46 AM »
Hi.
I found a "Wineskin" for EoSD.
A Wineskin is a program you can use to run an original .exe file. Or something like that. XD
Here is the link for the Wineskin: http://portingteam.com/files/file/7084-touhou-6-koumakyou-the-embodiment-of-scarlet-devil/
Also, i found a Wineskin for 1 - 5 of  the Touhou games: http://portingteam.com/index.php/files/file/7083-touhous-1-5/
And the 10th one: http://portingteam.com/files/file/2153-touhou-10-fuujinroku-mountain-of-faith/

INSTRUCTIONS:
1: Open the Wineskin of the game you want.
2: Click Install Software. It should open a window with your files.
3: Find the original .exe file for the game, highlight it, and click Choose.
The game should open in a few seconds.

Hope it helps! :3

cb5

« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2013, 12:39:07 AM »
New to the forum and new to the games; and I just have a general question.  I can't seem to save replays using wine.  Anyone else have this problem?  Also I have a second mini-laptop, but it can only run the games at 30 fps; is there a way to speed it up the framerate?

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2013, 03:25:59 AM »
New to the forum and new to the games; and I just have a general question.  I can't seem to save replays using wine.  Anyone else have this problem?  Also I have a second mini-laptop, but it can only run the games at 30 fps; is there a way to speed it up the framerate?

Which version of Wine? (IMPORTANT)
Which games+version in question? (INPORTANT)
Which OS are you running? (IMPORTANT)
How much RAM do you have?
What's the speed of your processor?

« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
I can't seem to save replays using wine.  Anyone else have this problem?  Also I have a second mini-laptop, but it can only run the games at 30 fps; is there a way to speed it up the framerate?
You mean, you have two computers, one of them with Linux and plays touhou games with wine, and another computer with windows which is quite slow, and both of them not capable to run the games with 60 FPS, right?
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

cb5

« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »
Which version of Wine? (IMPORTANT)
Which games+version in question? (INPORTANT)
Which OS are you running? (IMPORTANT)
How much RAM do you have?
What's the speed of your processor?
Wine is 1.4
Ubuntu.
3.5 gb
3.1 ghz

Wait, I think I just found out the problem with my desktop.  According to this it's cause of my nvidia driver.
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Running_in_Linux
But the problem is my config file doesn't have a monitor section.  I think my video driver messed up again with the latest update. . . Great; that's going to be all kinds of fun to fix.

Yeah that's pretty much it.  I updated my driver to 331 and works now.  Pretty much just the video driver was the problem.
You mean, you have two computers, one of them with Linux and plays touhou games with wine, and another computer with windows which is quite slow, and both of them not capable to run the games with 60 FPS, right?
I have two linux computers, both using wine.  My desktop runs at 60 fps; my laptop at 30 fps.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 06:36:37 PM by cb5 »

« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2013, 06:38:30 PM »
Ah, I see. I got your words in a wrong way.
But how exactly "it doesn't save replays"? When you're suggested to save a replay and you accept it, in the end the replay just isn't created? Or it has some error message?
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

cb5

« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2013, 11:13:11 PM »
Ah, I see. I got your words in a wrong way.
But how exactly "it doesn't save replays"? When you're suggested to save a replay and you accept it, in the end the replay just isn't created? Or it has some error message?
The replay button was greyed out and couldn't be clicked.  I don't know what was causing my video driver to do that, but as soon as I updated to it worked.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:26:34 PM by cb5 »

Phoenix_lostarr

• mrgrgr
  • Rising from the ashes of an old dream~
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2013, 06:47:20 PM »
Okay so

PCB seems to have the down arrow key stuck on, it's continually cycling through the main menu.

TH11-14 are all running at about 10 FPS.

How can I alleviate these problems?

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2013, 11:33:17 PM »
Okay so

PCB seems to have the down arrow key stuck on, it's continually cycling through the main menu.

TH11-14 are all running at about 10 FPS.

How can I alleviate these problems?

Uh... which version of wine? And what's your OS?
Also, which version of PCB do you have? Clicking off the window and then back onto it in older versions of Wine results in the player moving forever in the direction of the last key pressed. It might be old version specific, or it might not be.

« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2013, 12:01:09 AM »
And what are the specs of your PC? Probably it's just not enough good for them (Wine requires a little bit more resources for Touhou games than playing them natively under Windows). Second option is that you use old Wine or/and video drivers, it happens.

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2013, 01:14:51 AM »
I'm trying to run Shoot the Bullet on Linux Mint in VirtualBox. I get an error when I try to boot it up saying I need Direct3D. How do I get this?
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

Tengukami

« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2013, 01:33:08 AM »
I'm trying to run Shoot the Bullet on Linux Mint in VirtualBox. I get an error when I try to boot it up saying I need Direct3D. How do I get this?
This site may have the solution.

« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2018, 05:49:53 PM »
I don?t know if this thread is still used?? Anyway, here?s my issue:

I used to run Touhou games with Winebottler on Mac (OS X El Capitan) without a hitch. However, since I upgraded to High Sierra, a few of my games have had framerate issues, namely Touhou 11, 12, 12.5, 12.8 and 13. No matter where in the game, the FPS drops to 40-ish every few seconds, rendering the games unplayable. Every other Touhou runs just fine, it?s just these five. I know my computer is perfectly able to run these games (since they used to be fine on El Capitan) and I?m really not sure how to go about fixing this issue.

Current version of macOS: 10.13.4 (latest)
Current version of Winebottler: 1.6.1 (latest)

Also, I tried to run the games with plain old Wine, but I?m not tech-savvy and can?t get the games to work at all. All the tutorials out there seem to skip very important steps or assume you already know what you?re doing.

Thanks for the help and let me know if you need more details.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2018, 03:40:17 AM »
I don?t know if this thread is still used?? Anyway, here?s my issue:

I used to run Touhou games with Winebottler on Mac (OS X El Capitan) without a hitch. However, since I upgraded to High Sierra, a few of my games have had framerate issues, namely Touhou 11, 12, 12.5, 12.8 and 13. No matter where in the game, the FPS drops to 40-ish every few seconds, rendering the games unplayable. Every other Touhou runs just fine, it?s just these five. I know my computer is perfectly able to run these games (since they used to be fine on El Capitan) and I?m really not sure how to go about fixing this issue.

Current version of macOS: 10.13.4 (latest)
Current version of Winebottler: 1.6.1 (latest)

Also, I tried to run the games with plain old Wine, but I?m not tech-savvy and can?t get the games to work at all. All the tutorials out there seem to skip very important steps or assume you already know what you?re doing.

Thanks for the help and let me know if you need more details.

The current version of Wine is 3.5 and WineBottler has (afaik) not been supported for many years. 1.6.1 was released 5 years ago and Wine has progressed *significantly* since then.

What I currently do is as follows:

1. Download the official distribution from https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html (I am a dev release maintainer for the project so I typically download the latest development tarball)
2. If using the tarball, unzip somewhere (I suggest your Desktop for the time being). In the newly created usr/ folder there will be bin/wine. This is the executable.
3. In your Terminal, first cd to the directory with the .exe file. Then run the following:
LANG="ja_JP" ~/Desktop/usr/bin/wine th06e.exe
where the executable is the relevant executable.

I personally rename the unarchived usr directory to 'wine' and move it into my hard drive under my user profile. This allows me to do the following:
cd ~/Desktop/Touhou\ Windows/Touhou\ 8\ -\ Imperishable\ Night
~/wine/bin/wine th08.exe

In this example I cd (change directory) to the folder where IN's executable is located. Then I run wine (located in ~/wine/bin/wine as noted above) and choose th08.exe as the executable to run. ~ refers to your user directory, where Documents, Desktop, etc. are located.

My directions probably aren't the best, but if this helps you any, I'm glad to be of service.

--Sparen

~~~

Edit: Whoa that was one heck of a necropost. Doesn't help that the person who created this thread has been banned for years and obviously can't edit the opening post to provide more up-to-date information.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:45:20 AM by Sparen »