Author Topic: Characters, music, personalities.  (Read 325777 times)

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
Re: Characters, music, personalities.
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »
Heh, funny you should say that, I was kinda picturing Nue as a cosmic horror when I was going on about her not having an actual form.

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Nue R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2009, 08:54:18 PM »
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Nue R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Yukari is Nyarlathotep. Discuss.

« Reply #242 on: November 01, 2009, 01:56:44 AM »
In preparation for one of the upcoming themes, then, comes the following topic: many feel that Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind is ZUN's greatest work.

I'm one of those people :V

Emotional Skyscraper is, as Prism said, Exactly What It Says On The Tin. It's emotional. In your analysis of Yukari, you spoke about her song overloading you with power. In Kanako's, you talked about how she asserts herself as a greater being throughout the entire thing.

I don't get that from Byakuren's theme. I get a great deal of power emnating from the song, but not in the style of Yukari, or Kanako, or even Yuka. For me, knowing the story behind the game really adds to ES as a whole. The girl's spent her life fighting for youkai-human equality, and got sealed away as a result. She's finally released, and who appears? An insolent girl who wants to seal her back up. This is where the opening of the song comes in.

The opening of the song (the first twelve seconds) sounds, to me, like Byakuren is defying Reimu/Marisa/Sanae. However, she's not doing it violently, or trying to harm or injure them. It's more like a strong, but purely verbal declaration of "No. I will not back down. I will not let you seal me away again, I will fight."

The whole way through, I feel Byakuren's emotions. Her determination to escape her prison, her passion for her cause, her pure want for peace. It all comes together in a beautiful, melodious song that overwhelms you. It doesn't explode out, like Necrofantasia, but it doesn't wash over you either, like Flower Land. It really is difficult to put into words. I'll stop before I end up doing a whole overblown mediocre analysis (that will surely be inferior to yours ;D).

But one feeling I get throughout the entire song is the feeling of "this is it! This is the last battle! It all ends here!" And it is. I remember ZUN saying in his comments about some other song that he wanted to give a feeling of "this is it!" I can't remember the song, but I feel that emotion from Cosmic Mind much more than I do from anything else. It's a final, climactic battle and it suits Byakuren perfectly.

And it's really damn catchy too. ;D

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #243 on: November 01, 2009, 02:30:08 AM »
um...a metaphysical shapeshifter...the same thing who i was thinking...something about the unknown things,created for your own limitations and perceptions,the ambitions,ignorance and fanaticism (who born to the fear to the unknown, the fear can create horrid monsters) when finally confront the Nue and she lost the power,can see the true nature of herself, who was more frightened than you...
(funny, but for some reason all this about ships, space and unknown aliens remind me ALIEN the movie. A ship lost in the space, with a horrible monster who make real problems inside and nobody knows who is it or where are from. And only one survives because finally confronts the monster.)

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

« Reply #244 on: November 01, 2009, 08:24:23 AM »
The thing about Emotional Skyscraper is that, like Suwa Foughten Field perhaps, I can't find a single bit of combativeness in Byakuren's theme. She seems to be enlightening the heroines about the truth of her beliefs and sharing her vast wisdom rather than trying to beat them into submission like most final bosses do. 'Victory by friendship speech' is the kind of vibe I get from Emotional Skyscraper, not 'Let's see how much of you is left after I'm done' like I got from Nuclear Fusion.

Going back to Nue, I wonder which of her forms Byakuren and the rest of the Makai crew will see. Will it be the one the players are presented or will it be the one the heroines of UFO saw if there is a difference?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:27:29 AM by Recon 5 »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2009, 09:52:15 AM »
Also, could you elucidate that bit on Youmu? I'm curious as to what you discovered.

My apologies for the late reply: Right this is just some brainstorming we did regarding the song. It is not some fact we tried to prove or anything else. We tried to keep it canon as possible regarding the game story and character backgrounds but ofcourse yea, it is questionable as nobody knows the true thing.

Youmu's theme - Hiroari Shoots a Strange Bird ~ Till When?  Here is the log from a month or two ago I think:

?14:37:56? <Herasy> After looking through Youmu's fun facts on the wiki
?14:38:04? <Herasy> Her theme
?14:38:06? <Herasy> Hiroari Shoots A Strange Bird ~ Till When?
?14:38:24? <Herasy> it's related to that story about a warrior shooting down a Nue >_>
?14:38:41? <Helepolis> Wait, does that mean ZUN planned it all along?
?14:38:51? <Herasy> Well further on in the fact...
?14:39:03? <Herasy> "Judging from the story of Perfect Cherry Blossom, the heroine plays the role of Hiroari, Youmu is the Nue, and the corpse is probably Yuyuko Saigyouji. (See also Flandre Scarlet and Yukari Yakumo.) "
?14:39:10? <Herasy> :S
?14:39:13? <Helepolis> What?
?14:39:32? * Helepolis is so terribly confused now
?14:39:34? <Herasy> Hiroari is the name of the warrior
?14:39:39? <Shoukan> Youmu = Nue
?14:39:41? <Shoukan> OH SHIT
?14:39:58? <Herasy> Heres the whole fact
?14:39:59? <Helepolis> Nue as in the mythical beast though :V
?14:40:02? <Herasy> "Her theme song is titled "Hiroari Shoots A Strange Bird ~ Till When?", named after a story in which a warrior named Hiroari slays a youkai known as the Nue. This is a pun on the storyline. The "strange bird" is a Nue, also called the "Itsumaden", since it makes this cry near unmourned corpses, meaning "How long (will this corpse remain unattended)?"
?14:40:04? <Herasy> Judging from the story of Perfect Cherry Blossom, the heroine plays the role of Hiroari, Youmu is the Nue, and the corpse is probably Yuyuko Saigyouji. (See also Flandre Scarlet and Yukari Yakumo.) "
?14:40:34? <Herasy> Youmu's theme song is related to a story about some warrior called Hiroari slaying a Nue (Strange bird)
?14:40:37? <Helepolis> So Youmu finds Yuyuko or something?
?14:40:45? <Helepolis> or did I misunderstood that.
?14:40:47? <Herasy> I find it a little strange considering UFO has a Nue
?14:41:04? <Herasy> Yomu ressurects the tree to find Yuyuko's corpse?
?14:41:35? <Helepolis> Eh wait wasnt that yuyuko's idea?
?14:41:56? <Herasy> It was her idea, but didn't Youmu do all the work?
?14:42:10? <Helepolis> The facts about Yuyuko read she suicided and her body was used to seal the Saigyoji tree for ever
?14:42:30? <Helepolis> So it would never reach full bloom right?
?14:42:30? <Herasy> She never remembered that though
?14:42:43? <Helepolis> But then she asks Youmu to collect the spring.
?14:42:48? <Herasy> But she never remembered Suicide when she came back as a ghost
?14:42:59? <Helepolis> Probably that would the part "Itsumaden"  how long will youmu continue untill she realises it is a corpse?
?14:43:02? <Herasy> She saw the tree and how it would never bloom, and asked Youmu to bloom it
?14:43:20? <Chunk3> There was a really awesome video that made her losing her memory out to be Yukari's doing, "May you never be unhappy again," ;_;
?14:43:34? <Herasy> Some doujin's also did that
?14:43:35? <Helepolis> Chunk3, there was also a doujin
?14:43:41? <Helepolis> bah Herasy beat me to it.
?14:43:46? <Herasy> Also reminds me of UD's rewrite
?14:43:47? <Helepolis> It was a battle between Remilia and Yuyuko.
?14:44:27? <Helepolis> so this leads to what Herasy: that Youmu has been trying and not realising it is useless?
?14:44:29? <Chunk3> NAh, it was just the standard "I have a creepy power so the villagers hate me" thing, wasn't it?
?14:44:40? <Chunk3> Wait... remilia... nvm
?14:44:53? <Herasy> She is a servant though
?14:45:04? <Herasy> It doesn't matter if she thinks it is useless
?14:45:13? <Herasy> If Yuyuko wills her to, she would be happy to do so
?14:45:14? <Helepolis> If Yuyuko is the corpse. Youmu the nue sitting on it calling.
?14:45:17? <Helepolis> who is the hunter then?
?14:45:23? <Herasy> The heroine
?14:45:29? <Helepolis> Reimu , Marisa and Sakuya?
?14:45:34? <Herasy> Yep!
?14:45:52? <Herasy> "the heroine plays the role of Hiroari"
?14:46:05? <Herasy> Interesting how one little song title creates such a large pun on the story
?14:46:27? <TranceHime> o.o
?14:46:34? <Helepolis> Interesting how ZUN is a fucking genius
?14:46:39? <Herasy> Yes, I have always thought that way
?14:46:51? <Helepolis> Do you really think he planned it all ahead?
?14:46:58? <Herasy> I love it when game designers/writers do shit like this
?14:47:04? <Herasy> Umineko does it too ^_^
?14:47:11? <Helepolis> Reminds me of  Oda ( writer of One Piece )  who has the ending planned all along ( rumours say so )
?14:47:51? <Herasy> The main reason this fact caught my eye though was because there is a Nue in UFO
?14:47:56? <Herasy> Still a very interesting fact though
?14:48:07? <Helepolis> But Nue in UFO is introduced very weird.
?14:48:16? <Helepolis> First of all, she was stuck underground.
?14:48:37? <Helepolis> Makes me think how she got there in the first place.
?14:49:03? <Helepolis> How did Murasa's ship got burried there anyway
?14:49:04? <Herasy> Humans sealed her there?
?14:49:15? <CAsercan3> humans sealed it away
?14:49:16? <Herasy> Kinda like all the other Youkai with here
?14:49:21? <Herasy> her*

Story turned then to another branch of Touhou. But basically it comes down to the part where we mentioned Yuyuko is the corpse, Youmu is the nue sitting on it calling for it and the heroines play the role of the warrior.

It just suprised me.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #246 on: November 01, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
Everyone's comments on Emotional Skyscraper

Interesting. Most of you will see your sentiment echoed when I write my own part, but I'm curious that everyone focuses on the emotional word, when the other three are just as important, I feel.

re: Hiroari

That's pretty cool, and certainly works within the context of the game. I'm certain there are more such references hidden all over the place.

Yukari is Nyarlathotep. Discuss.

Nyarlathotep, the Haunter in the Dark, the Crawling Darkness etc. etc. is a malevolent force of entropy. Although he is more manipulative than confrontational, which fits Yukari's image reasonably well, the rest of his aspects are harder to match with hers. I'd have an easier time fitting her to Yog-Sothoth, the Gate and the Key, who is present everywhere and serves as a conduit for all energy in the universe, much like Yukari and her ability to go anywhere, and tendency to take things with her - she is, from what I can recall, the main reason for unusual things appearing in Gensokyo.

« Reply #247 on: November 01, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »
I always thought that the title of Byakuren's theme should be shortened to Cosmic Mind rather than Emotional Skyscraper as used here. I've stuck with the latter term because everyone else is using it but in my head I use Cosmic Mind.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #248 on: November 01, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »
You can take Byakuren's title like this:

Cosmic mind - Wide thinking beyond the unimaginable
Emotional Skyscraper - The higher you get with your ideas, the harder they become.

Then again, from japanese to english a title can lose it's original meaning because of wordplay etc. It is always hard.

Fightest

« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2009, 08:10:49 AM »
*sigh*

So I went over my Byakuren entry, and realised it was a rambling trainwreck. So I'm starting over, which means you guys will have to wait a bit longer. I suppose this is a good time to ask then - having finished UFO will see me done with the Windows Touhou games. I have two options to proceed with from there - alternate character themes, or the PC-98 games. I just want to see a show of hands to see who's more interested in what, and I'll go with the more popular option (the second option I'll do as well, of course, but afterwards).

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2009, 08:15:45 AM »
PC-98, if you please.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #251 on: November 03, 2009, 08:44:12 AM »
even who i want the alternate character first,i think who this must need a mayor analysis (some characters no have songs,then must search a song who fit well with their personality...) and need more time. The PC-98 songs need a mayor investigation about the plot...mmm...

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2009, 08:47:15 AM »
PC-98. I'd like to hear input on other characters based on their themes before we go more in-depth on existing ones. Though I am looking forward to whenever Casket of Star can be reviewed...

« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2009, 08:49:33 AM »
I'd suggest getting to know the PC-98 characters as well as or better than you know the Windows characters before attempting a theme analysis. Form your own opinions about them apart from what their themes tell you as you've done with the Windows characters, then do the analyses.

Fightest

« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2009, 08:59:10 AM »
I'd suggest getting to know the PC-98 characters as well as or better than you know the Windows characters before attempting a theme analysis. Form your own opinions about them apart from what their themes tell you as you've done with the Windows characters, then do the analyses.

Of course, that's what I've been doing (as far as was reasonably possible) for the characters I was unfamiliar with in the Windows games, after all.

So it seems that PC-98 is getting a unanimous majority. As I mentioned way back when, I'll do them in reverse order, as I somewhat dislike chiptunes and wish to start off with the best of them (and I presume the last PC-98 game has the best chiptunes, but could be wrong) and give up when I can't stand them any more. That means next will be Mystic Square, and I'll be going through at least Lotus Land Story, as I happen to know its tracks have a lot of merit.

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #255 on: November 03, 2009, 09:18:17 AM »
The two, perhaps, most amazing tracks from PC-98 are Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream and Bad Apple!! from PoDD and LLS respectively. Of course, Reincarnation from PoDD and all of (PC-98) Alice's themes from MS are also pretty well known.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2009, 09:19:45 AM »
PC-98 characters are a bit troublesome, as there is no PMiSS or BAiJR about them. ZUN should imo write PMiSS II with PC-98 till UFO.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2009, 12:35:54 PM »
I can't wait for PC-98, because we don't know anything about them, and the (Eastern) Fandom doesn't really struggle to make up something.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #258 on: November 03, 2009, 03:03:06 PM »
I'm looking forward to Strawberry Crisis!! and Sailor of Time. Do them great justice!

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #259 on: November 03, 2009, 07:30:56 PM »
I'm looking forward to Magic Square, Spiritual Heaven, Decoration Battle, and Reincarnation :3 They're probably my favorites from PC-98 besides songs that would actually be alternate themes.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #260 on: November 03, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »
Personally, I look forward to your takes on Strawberry Crisis!!, Sleeping Terror, and my two favourite EX-boss themes in the series, Grimoire of Alice and Cute Devil ~ Innocence~

I can't wait for PC-98, because we don't know anything about them, and the (Eastern) Fandom doesn't really struggle to make up something.

Sometimes I think that, since the Eastern fandom doesn't really care about them, the Western fandom should adopt the PC-98ers and Rin Satsuki as their own, and come up with their OWN fanon and silly memes for once rather than aping the Japanese.

Um... Ahem.  Feel free to ignore me, I'm just a raving lunatic...
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #261 on: November 03, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
Sometimes I think that, since the Eastern fandom doesn't really care about them, the Western fandom should adopt the PC-98ers and Rin Satsuki as their own, and come up with their OWN fanon and silly memes for once rather than aping the Japanese.

I actually think that's a great idea! This is why I was all about that "retconning the PC-98 games" on Poosh before. (What turned out useless, because the lack of fanon is why people think about continuity problems in the first place.) It's not that I'm a Pc-98 fag, I don't really love them, but I just can't love them because I don't know anything about them! And it's just sad.

At least Satsuki Rin has a meme: her non-existence (what is also sad, that's why I wanted to make her a main character in three of my game ideas).

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #262 on: November 03, 2009, 09:18:06 PM »
You mentioned that UFO's stage themes from 4 onwards are really weird, I think that's because the player enters another dimension on stage 4, or something.
Wotters gonna' wot

« Reply #263 on: November 04, 2009, 12:34:47 AM »
Don't go to far in building your own returns for the PC-98ers though. As with Alice and Yuka the doors are always open. What happens if we build up a year or more of fanon around a returning character and ZUN decides to bring her back in a completely different form?

« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2009, 01:55:17 PM »
Considering how much ZUN trolled his PC-98 fans with UFO I doubt that's happening :V

Also, aww. I was hoping alternate character themes would come first D:

Fightest

« Reply #265 on: November 04, 2009, 08:35:06 PM »
Byakuren Hijiri ? Emotional Skyscraper ∼ Cosmic Mind

There are many aspects to this delightful piece, and the upthread comments caught onto many of them. Of course, I will repeat what many have said, but I hope to add some of my own thoughts, starting with the title itself. A note of warning to readers ? I very much like Byakuren, as she really embodies some real-life issues, as well as storytelling devices that I have an interest in (hatred due to ignorance for the former, kindness for its own sake for the latter), so I might gush somewhat. Please bear with it.

The title is equal parts about a state of emotional being and a state of mind. Both are uplifted, enlightened to an almost superhuman state. The former speaks of a tower of emotion, a person?s point of view that stands objectively above all else and is thus able to see and hear further than anyone else around her, and yet act as a beacon to those that would share in her wisdom. The latter hints at a person who has attained the Buddhist ideal of Nirvana and acquired a cosmic perspective, an almost divine insight, one who is able to perfectly understand what she sees. In just the name, Byakuren is portrayed as someone with perfect clarity of vision, able to judge impartially and fairly. The piece will demonstrate that, along with these qualities, she also possesses kindness and benevolence, and the force of personal power and will to support them.

I will start with the fact that most of the piece is in major. Sure, a few minor chords are thrown in here and there for emphasis and variety, but otherwise the whole piece presents a highly positive feeling. Unlike other themes? tendency to create an air of tension and menace to the listener, Cosmic Mind never even attempts to. The piece?s unashamed blasting of the listener with positive emotion and joyous enthusiasm never fails to put a grin on my face after the conflict and struggle of all the previous themes. To put it in as few words as possible, Cosmic Mind is kind to the listener. It?s a three-and-a-half minute-long bout of release and relaxation.

So yes, what about those two bits that are clearly ominous and menacing? I believe those segments, as well as the inevitable reaction of the listener to them, is an excellent demonstration of the misunderstanding and fear that Byakuren?s power can inspire. After all, she has cosmic power and wisdom, and the only word that one has that she will use them for benevolent goals is Byakuren?s own. These segments, with their deep bass, loud trumpets and strong minor chords, are the uninformed misapprehensions of what Byakuren does.  And it really goes beyond her backstory ? the protagonists expect her to be just another dangerously powerful youkai, and even the players themselves expect an enemy boss with the usual motives that have pervaded the population of enemy bosses so far ? destruction, subjugation, oppression, deprivation and other nasty-sounding nouns.

What does everyone get instead? The usual trumpets-and-piano are gone, instead we hear a gentle melody played by pipes, supported by a strumming acoustic guitar. The melodic line starts off calm, never venturing far from the repeating central notes. It slowly develops, never making unexpected leaps or transitions, and the listener is quickly lulled into a serene state, trusting the music to maintain its gentle nature. The melodic line is not simple; it?s full of cadences and chord transitions, yet these, and the resulting changes in key and harmony, are carefully hidden behind the melody, doing their job of supporting the melody without ever attracting attention to themselves. This whole passage reminds me of a quiet discussion, a careful presentation of ideas that build and build on themselves, supported by immaculate reasoning, yet instilled with a heartfelt passion and dedication ? the tempo makes this segment feel somehow breathless, at times - that show that the speaker truly cares about what she is saying, not merely practicing preaching for its own sake. Byakuren, then, is a thinker and a debater, with a force of will and a conviction in her ideals, with the experience and cunning to support them in discussion. She is argumentative and enthusiastic, yet respectful of another?s opinion, and will use reason and logic to assert her position and undermine her opponent?s, not malice and aggression ? the opponent might have trouble keeping up with her pace, however, as Byakuren strikes me as a person who thinks far faster than she can speak, yet feels the need to speak what she thinks, leading to her sometimes foregoing the need to breathe to squeeze in a few more points.

Prejudice dies hard, however ? the apprehension comes back to haunt the listener in full strength ? surely this person cannot be truly what she presents herself as? All evidence suggests otherwise, but second-guessing and doubt start piling on, threatening to consume the listener in their power and fury. However, Byakuren stands firm. Her voice and attitude stand out over these negative feelings; never breaking her demeanour she continues her flow of ideas, and soon the misgivings fall apart, the trumpet voicing them finally joining in to the chorus of Byakuren?s theme. This is a clear demonstration of one of Byakuren?s greatest virtues - patience. Perhaps she believes that the only thing that can change the nature of a man is he himself, and she can only nudge him in the right direction, letting him walk the rest of the path on his own two feet. Having said this, I believe this also reinforces what I said earlier ? Byakuren has great respect for her fellow man (youkai, demon, ghost etc.).

A lull in the conversation follows. The pitch lowers and the melodic line slows down. A strange tension builds up, not an ominous one, but, rather, a pensive one ? the chord progressions that are used never resolve properly, leaving us to wonder what?s going to happen next, or who even caused the pause, Byakuren, or her opponent. Considering what?s been going on previously, I would suggest that it is the opponent deeply considering the new thoughts and ideas bouncing around in their head. It is a tense moment, and the audience wonders as to whether Byakuren?s succeeded in proving her case, or whether her opponent will refuse to accept her arguments.

Thus we are left with a bit of a cliffhanger as the piece pulls away from these current events, and moves into what can only be described as a song. Long, strong yet gentle woodwind sounds carry a passionate melody, an ode to freedom. No longer inhibited by self-imposed rules she is able to let her mind run wild, the melody changing register and harmony as it sees fit, taking full advantage of the emphasis that high registers provide; the melody?s main notes are given the freedom to sound out fully, ornaments adding even more bright colours to an already kaleidoscopic expression of happiness. For all her great wisdom and experience, Byakuren?s melody is not complicated ? we have heard far longer and more elaborate melodies. What it lacks in sophistication or complexity it makes up for in volume and enthusiasm when the motif repeats and repeats, adding more and more power to itself, as if trying to say something but lacking the means to truly do so. Perhaps there are some things that even Byakuren cannot define using words alone, having to rely on passion and emotion to carry the rest of the meaning. It is this aspect that suggests to me that, despite her actual age, she is, mentally, still young and yearning for new ways of self-expression to everyone around her. After all, she has all these great ideas running through her head, and hardly enough time to say them all to a single person, let alone a crowd.

The song stops suddenly to give us a view of the quiet scene between Byakuren and her opponent. She is doing the talking, still in control of herself, respectfully considering, refining her points and arguments and presenting them to her opponent. It is impossible to say whether her opponent has conceded or not, but they still listen, and Byakuren still speaks. With this, the piece ends.

Phew. It?s done. I hope it?s decent. I?ll be taking a bit of a break, then I?ll move on to PC-98.
Yes that's a Planescape: Torment reference.

Tengukami

« Reply #266 on: November 04, 2009, 09:21:41 PM »
Serafie: ZUN didn't troll PC-98 fans. They trolled themselves with their baseless expectations. Listening to some of them talk about why X meant that Yumemi or Mima was coming back was like listening to a group of 9/11 Truthers all agreeing with each other.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Tengukami

« Reply #267 on: November 04, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »
But anyway, on subject:

I'm honestly not really crazy about Emotional Skyscraper. It sounds like the theme to a bad 80s cop show to me. But Fightest's review definitely helped me appreciate it, in any event. ZUN does get props for at least stepping outside of his comfort zone a bit and doing some new things.

I'm really looking forward to your PC-98 reviews. Reading up on the character profiles on the wiki might help, but otherwise you're going to be on your own there. I think a lot of ZUN's best material came out of this era, personally, so it'll be fun to see what you do with it.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #268 on: November 04, 2009, 10:04:19 PM »
Fantastic stuff as usual Fightest. I think you hit the real Byakuren perfectly with your analysis.

Also, since we were talking about PC-98 fandom earlier (or the lack of rather) I think we should take Fightest's analysis of each theme and use it as our fandom material.  :V

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #269 on: November 04, 2009, 10:30:23 PM »
*listening to White Lotus*

Wow.

Okay, I try to put into words what I want to say... ahem. Awesome!
So, the song itself is like a debate, a real argument between two intelligent and capable, cunning opponent, arguing about who's view is better, and in this argument, Byakuren is clearly has an Upper Hand. Wow. For one, I'm someone who loves to argue about philosophical things (even thought I can't find a suitable partner for that; nobody likes to philosophize here :V ), and this theme is about that... wow. (I have a really bad time putting this feeling into words... :V)

*cue White Lotus...~Piano*

So... anyone wants to make a 12 stage long shmup with Danmakufu what depicts Byakuren's heartbreaking story before she got sealed away? It would be the most beautiful and sad shmup evar! ...
*Okay, go along, there's nothing to see here!*

Also, since we were talking about PC-98 fandom earlier (or the lack of rather) I think we should take Fightest's analysis of each theme and use it as our fandom material.  :V

Yeah, thinking the same.

As for a Satsuki Rin:

Meme idea: She lives at the other side of the Forest of Magic, but she has Zoro-like (from One Piece) sense of direction. She wanted to solve the Scarlet Mist incident but got lost and ended up in Heaven, beating up Tenshi years before SWR.