Author Topic: Keep reading the news!  (Read 63985 times)

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Re: Keep reading the news!
« Reply #600 on: April 02, 2011, 11:16:58 PM »
I think what Mouse is pointing out is that elevating political text to the same plane as religious text gives it a false air of divine authority and infallibility.
I fail to see how the divine authority and infallibility claimed by religion is any more justified. They are merely more openly tolerated.

...meh, I need to see that this doesn't turn into an anti-religious rant for me.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #601 on: April 02, 2011, 11:19:46 PM »
I fail to see how the divine authority and infallibility claimed by religion is any more justified. They are merely more openly tolerated.

...meh, I need to see that this doesn't turn into an anti-religious rant for me.

The thing is, many Americans are self-described Christians; certainly most members of both political parties do. So when politicians put things like the Constitution on the same level as the Bible, this resonates with a lot of Americans. It's manipulative, based on even less solid evidence than the original authority, but it works, so they keep doing it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #602 on: April 02, 2011, 11:33:15 PM »
I'm actually not entirely sure what I meant by that... I guess mostly pointing out how many people are confusing the legal/physical boundaries of a nation with the uh... mostly moral I guess boundaries of a religion. There are flaws to trying to compare them directly.

And honestly I think giving anything an air of absolute authority or infallibility is a bad thing but I guess that's neither here nor there
There was something here once. Wonder what...

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
« Reply #603 on: April 03, 2011, 12:43:50 AM »
Am I the only one who finds this amusingly ironic?

It's funny because that's a serious flaw in our economy.

Civil war still raging in C?te d'Ivoire.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12946018

Of all the places in Africa for that to be happening, I find this one interesting.

JT

JT

« Reply #606 on: April 03, 2011, 04:39:37 PM »
So what? He's fucking 12. Kids beat each other up all the time.

« Reply #607 on: April 03, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »
Except he was also charged with aggravated harassment, so I'd say it's a bit more than that. Yeah the hate crime is completely rediculous, but that doesn't mean he's not a dick :derp:

Tengukami

« Reply #608 on: April 03, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »
My guess was the kid was probably bullying the Muslim over a period of time, and the Hate Crime card was thrown as a last resort. I mean it's not like schools are exactly falling over themselves trying to protect minorities.

That said, charging him with a hate crime is likely not going to teach him a damn thing, but might set an example for other kids at least.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #609 on: April 03, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »
Yeah, hate crime is a bit too much, but at least he was also charged for harassment, which was right.

MayKissingDoveWyks

« Reply #610 on: April 03, 2011, 04:52:17 PM »
Boy, 12, charged with hate crime for attempting to rip hijab off head of classmate

What the fuck.

Oh god, this happened to a friend of mine when he was about the same age, during P.E, except it was in the case that he was in the heat of the moment and just grabbed the hijab because he couldn't tag the girl. All the kids in the class got pissed, but I understood his anger and how he wasn't able to catch anyone.

He didn't come back to school after that incident and I haven't talked to him since. More or less because he had issues that the school did not want to deal with.

Tengukami

« Reply #611 on: April 03, 2011, 04:53:58 PM »
So, in other words, it had nothing to do with the hijab.

JT

« Reply #612 on: April 03, 2011, 04:55:44 PM »
So schoolyard bullying is grounds for criminal charges now? If a kid says "gimme your lunch money or I'll beat you up" he doesn't get put on trial for extortion. I don't care how persistent his behavior was, this is wrong.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #613 on: April 03, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »
I dunno, I'm okay with them taking action towards some forms of bullying, although in terms of crime I still think it's too much, depending on how far it goes though.

I mean, if it's physical and leads towards violence then guess SOME form of action should be taken by law for the safety of the kid and all.

Tengukami

« Reply #614 on: April 03, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »
So schoolyard bullying is grounds for criminal charges now?

I didn't say that, but if I were to put myself in the position of the Muslim child's parents, what I'm seeing is my kid's getting consistently bullied for their religion, and nothing's working. Taking that up to the next level might be an option. I'm guessing they'll end up not going all the way with this - I'm sure there'll be some kind of settlement - but all I mean is criminal charges weren't likely the very first thing the school or parents went for.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #615 on: April 04, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »
That's a really shitty article.

What they should have said was "absolute fuckass of a 12-year-old gets what's coming to him for physically assaulting his classmates multiple times"; one of his victims just happened to be a Muslim girl.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #616 on: April 04, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »
I don't know if you recall my post last summer about the damages in Sony BMG v. Tenenbaum (filesharing case) being slashed, but that order went on appeal before the First Circuit today.  I had the good fortune to be present.

The district judge directed a verdict on liability, so the only issue up on appeal was the damages owed by Tenenbaum for downloading songs.  The discussion--which involved not only lawyers for Tenenbaum and for Sony, but the DOJ, the EFF, and a Harvard Law third-year--mainly focused on whether the statutory damages provision of the Copyright Act, which I discussed a little earlier, was intended* to apply to consumers.  Tenenbaum's side argued that unlawful filesharing is done casually--like jaywalking--and that at the time the statute was passed, no consumer had ever been sued for private infringement, taking place entirely inside the home.  On the other hand, Sony argued that the statute contains no home-copying exception, and that the only reason no litigation had happened until the '03 RIAA campaign was because it just wasn't worth the trouble.

* I suspect that for many of you, it's a foregone conclusion that Congress intended to hit consumers with statutory damages, because they're in the copyright lobby's pocket.  Whether that's true or not, the court is usually bound to apply the law as it believed Congress meant it.

A secondary but related issue was the degree of harm that Tenenbaum actually caused.  Of course, the very idea of statutory damages is to recompense the rightsholder when damages are difficult to pin down, but Sony nevertheless argued that filesharing was different in nature, and far more harmful, than previous forms of copying**--in essence making the filesharer not just a home copier, but a home distributor.  Sony then went on to argue that a good test of damages in a copyright claim was the amount that the rightsholder would've charged for a license to do the conduct at issue, and that the price it would've charged for a license to "essentially make these songs public domain" would've been high indeed.
Personally, I don't buy this argument because it attributes the harm of all filesharers, taken in the aggregate, to Tenenbaum personally, in violation of State Farm v. Campbell, a point noted by Judge Gertner in the initial order reducing the damages.  Tenenbaum's counterargument followed similar lines, arguing that applying the full force of the statutory-damages regime to regular consumers would be an absurd and unjust result, and thus should not be a permissible reading of the statute.

** for extra lulz, see the Sony lawyer's description of P2P to the court--e.g. "he changed file serving sharers"

Overall, I don't think it's looking good for Tenenbaum.  The EFF lawyer got shut down in one question (*awkward silence* "...may I c-continue?"), and the head judge seemed eager to put the case away on narrow procedural grounds... making much, for instance, of the fact that many of Tenenbaum's arguments hadn't been raised at trial.  I think the real question now is what impact an unfavorable ruling from the Circuit will have.  Absent a Circuit split, I don't think it'll go up to SCOTUS, and it's possible the RIAA may be emboldened by the decision and start suing downloaders directly again.  That said, if the decision is made on procedural grounds, it doesn't quite lend the RIAA the moral support it's looking for.

More:
Direct transcript of the argument
Legally Sociable
TorrentFreak
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:23:51 PM by Bad Appellant!! »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

JT

« Reply #617 on: April 05, 2011, 12:34:45 AM »
That's a really shitty article.

What they should have said was "absolute fuckass of a 12-year-old gets what's coming to him for physically assaulting his classmates multiple times"; one of his victims just happened to be a Muslim girl.

Yeah, let's beat that fuckass 12-year-old child into line with a felony conviction. That'll teach him.

Edible

« Reply #618 on: April 05, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »
making much, for instance, of the fact that many of Tenenbaum's arguments hadn't been raised at trial.

Wbuh?  Raised by whom?

Really though, I think the laws as they stand serve to benefit copyright holders to a fault in these situations; until laws are changed to make clear differences between corporate punishment instead of personal liability, we'll just be seeing more of this.

Yeah, let's beat that fuckass 12-year-old child into line with a felony conviction. That'll teach him.

Kid obviously isn't learning to be a productive member of society from his parents.  Let's see how a couple years in juvie sorts him out.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #619 on: April 05, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »
Wbuh?  Raised by whom?

Really though, I think the laws as they stand serve to benefit copyright holders to a fault in these situations; until laws are changed to make clear differences between corporate punishment instead of personal liability, we'll just be seeing more of this.

By Tenenbaum's side (because the district court refused to take his expert witnesses--a number of experts on Internet culture, why kids don't consider downloading wrong, etc).  The idea is that you don't get to raise new arguments on appeal--the appellate court is just reviewing specific questions of law sent up by the trial court, it's not meant as a second bite at the apple.

(Also, relevant links added.)

Generally, I don't see a distinction between corporate defendants and individual defendants coming about anytime soon, at least not in the copyright context.  Part of the point of a corporation is that it's counted legally as a person, and we've seen in cases like Citizens United that various individual rights accrue to the corporation as well.  There are exceptions, like in the securities law, but those are fairly specific and mostly hard-won through a long political process.

As far as ability to pay goes, the position of the federal government seems to be that common-law remittitur is enough to prevent unjustly large payouts being levied against individuals.  At least, that's what the DOJ argued in intervening in the case.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:27:51 PM by Bad Appellant!! »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

Edible

« Reply #620 on: April 05, 2011, 08:09:06 PM »
Generally, I don't see a distinction between corporate defendants and individual defendants coming about anytime soon, at least not in the copyright context.  Part of the point of a corporation is that it's counted legally as a person, and we've seen in cases like Citizens United that various individual rights accrue to the corporation as well.  There are exceptions, like in the securities law, but those are fairly specific and mostly hard-won through a long political process.

This is my feeling as well.

Thanks for the first-hand info on SBMG v. Tenenbaum.  Interesting stuff.  Slightly disheartening, but interesting.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #621 on: April 05, 2011, 10:04:11 PM »
Two sets of news:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/223431/riaa_thinks_limewire_owes_75_trillion_in_damages.html

Holy bejeebus O.O

Oh and,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vOCnZOcr8w

This actually happened apparently, and I have no idea what to say to this or how I should react.

Tengukami

« Reply #622 on: April 05, 2011, 10:06:54 PM »
$75 trillion! That's what I call bargaining high. I'm gonna try that.

"Hey, how much you want for this Diana Ross CD?"

"Five billion dollars."

"What?!"

"OK, fine, $40."

"Whew, that's better."

« Reply #623 on: April 05, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
Oh and,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vOCnZOcr8w

This actually happened apparently, and I have no idea what to say to this or how I should react.
And of course it was right here in Toronto :derp:

Two sets of news:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/223431/riaa_thinks_limewire_owes_75_trillion_in_damages.html

Holy bejeebus O.O
ahahahaha :getdown:

gotta love extrapolation
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:55:22 AM by Suikammy »

Quad City QBs

« Reply #624 on: April 06, 2011, 03:15:32 AM »

« Reply #625 on: April 06, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »

« Reply #626 on: April 06, 2011, 08:51:47 PM »

MayKissingDoveWyks

« Reply #627 on: April 06, 2011, 09:46:22 PM »
Glenn Beck fired.

Finally,

Now he won't have the Mass Derp Media bogging down his ideologies.

Tengukami

« Reply #628 on: April 07, 2011, 03:07:15 AM »
Glenn Beck fired.

If by "fired" they mean "will be working with instead of for FOX", than yes.
In a press release about the transition, Beck said, ?I truly believe that America owes a lot to Roger Ailes and Fox News. I cannot repay Roger for the lessons I?ve learned and will continue to learn from him and I look forward to starting this new phase of our partnership.? According to the release, this new phase involves the forging of a close relationship between Beck?s multimedia company, Mercury Radio Arts, and Fox News.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #629 on: April 08, 2011, 09:11:21 PM »
Two sets of news:

Holy bejeebus O.O

Even if paying such a ludicrous fine were possible, where would that money go? To the RIAA? :V

Also, I love how the sponsored links on that page are for the 2011 version of LimeWire and music downloads :B