Author Topic: Keep reading the news!  (Read 63973 times)

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
Re: Keep reading the news!
« Reply #570 on: March 29, 2011, 06:44:09 AM »
Title's so misleading. What do you mean, I will likely never understand!?

I mean, 12 year old college student discussing Calc II integration techniques. As much as I already know this stuff, it's a nice thing to watch. Plus, there's a doggy! (Which I got distracted by :derp:)
Heh, he's going over Integration by parts... just the thing I'm being tested on today. I'm so out of practice though. :/

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #571 on: March 29, 2011, 01:49:37 PM »
aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I love this on so many levels.  While what's-his-face engineers 'brilliant exposes' of ACORN and NPR, you don't even have to try to uncover the memetic engineering going on with the right, the post-Tea Party version of old white men trying to act street.

I don't think it's an attempt to act hip as much as it is that thanks to social networking, you don't need the actual numbers to give the impression of being a formidable political force anymore. Sockpuppetry and astroturfing are the mainstays of political discourse on the internet now, with huge spikes nearing election season.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #572 on: March 29, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
Grinch Neutron strikes again.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/52023.html

"I have two grandchildren ? Maggie is 11, Robert is 9," Gingrich said at Cornerstone Church here. "I am convinced that if we do not decisively win the struggle over the nature of America, by the time they're my age they will be in a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists and with no understanding of what it once meant to be an American."

That's right, all your kids are going to grow up to be radical Islamist atheists.

« Reply #573 on: March 29, 2011, 04:24:40 PM »
More importantly they will have no understanding of what it once meant to be an AMERICAN

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #574 on: March 29, 2011, 04:39:52 PM »
That's right, all your kids are going to grow up to be radical Islamist atheists.
Are they more or less dangerous than nazi communists?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #575 on: March 29, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
I don't think it's an attempt to act hip as much as it is that thanks to social networking, you don't need the actual numbers to give the impression of being a formidable political force anymore. Sockpuppetry and astroturfing are the mainstays of political discourse on the internet now, with huge spikes nearing election season.

I meant that statement more in the sense of pretending to be relevant but anyway here's some law

In a copyright suit against Limewire, Judge Kimba Wood of the Southern District of New York has ruled that statutory damages are only owed on a per-work basis, not a per-download basis

First, a little background.  Sometimes it can be hard to prove damages in a copyright suit, that is to say it can be hard to put a number to how the defendant's infringement has harmed you.  (This is especially so in light of the much-debated disconnect between downloads and lost sales.)  So, the Copyright Act lets rightsholders opt to bypass the whole issue of damages and take a statutory award, within a range fixed by the statute*, instead.  The rationale is that in a case where the exact damages are speculative or otherwise unclear, it's better to err on the side of letting the rightsholder recover.

* $750-30,000, specifics determined "as the court considers just."  17 USC ? 504(c).  If the infringement was innocent, the floor scales down to $200.  If the infringement was willful**, the cap scales up to $150,000.
** This is why the usual "South Park/Haruhi/Touhou/etc. doesn't belong to me" disclaimer is stupid.  Not only does it not help--it's copyright, not attributionright--but you're acknowledging that you're using IP that doesn't belong to you, which makes the infringement willful.

Now, statutory damages are handled per work infringed.  That's why you see suits against music downloaders getting so pricey--$30,000 per work, x 10 songs downloaded, that's $300,000 right there.  But the plaintiffs here wanted to take it a step further.  They wanted to take Limewire for the statutory amount per download, that is, collecting damages multiple times for the same work.  Wood's response:

As it stands now, Defendants face a damage award that "could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars (if not over a billion dollars)."  (Pl. Mem. Of Law in Support of Prelim. Inj, at 8 (Dkt. Entry No. 243).)  Indeed, if one multiples the maximum statutory damage award ($150,000) by approximately 10,000 post-1972 works, Defendants face a potential award of over a billion dollars in statutory damages alone.  If Plaintiffs were able to pursue a statutory damage theory predicated on the number of direct infringers per work, Defendants' damages could reach into the trillions. . . . As Defendants note, Plaintiffs are suggesting an award that is "more money than the entire music recording industry has made since Edison's invention of the phonograph in 1877."  (Def. Mem. at 2-3.)

Of course, $150,000 per work infringed is still a hefty sum, considering the plaintiffs identify 11,000 songs that were infringed through Limewire.  But this decision seems to be a far more faithful reading of the statute, and it's nice to see that the record companies can't get everything they want.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Edible

« Reply #576 on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:56 PM »
Hey, Maullar.

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-case-judge-is-a-former-riaa-lobbyist-and-pirate-chaser-110328/

Isn't this sorta thing illegal?  I thought judges were supposed to recuse themselves if something like this comes up.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #577 on: March 30, 2011, 12:07:23 AM »
Hey, Maullar.

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-case-judge-is-a-former-riaa-lobbyist-and-pirate-chaser-110328/

Isn't this sorta thing illegal?  I thought judges were supposed to recuse themselves if something like this comes up.

Judges are only required to recuse themselves in a few specific circumstances, mostly having to do with involvement in the specific current proceeding.  More at Ars Technica

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Edible

« Reply #579 on: March 31, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »
ctrl-f fatwa

Yep, nothing to see here.

Tengukami

« Reply #580 on: March 31, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
What I think is heartening about that story is Bangladesh outlaws sharia, and it was public outcry that demanded that justice be done over this girl's death. If any positive side can be found in such a story, that is.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #581 on: March 31, 2011, 05:32:34 PM »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Tengukami

« Reply #582 on: March 31, 2011, 05:41:31 PM »

Edible

« Reply #583 on: March 31, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »
Microsoft complaining about anti-competition.

Oh that is delicious.

It's even better when you consider this:

"It cites a number of practices, including Google limiting the ability of Microsoft Bing to index web content."

Note that Google proved that Bing was stealing its search results several weeks ago. <_<

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #584 on: March 31, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »
It's even better when you consider this:

"It cites a number of practices, including Google limiting the ability of Microsoft Bing to index web content."

Note that Google proved that Bing was stealing its search results several weeks ago. <_<

I was just about to point that out, too.

Suck it up, Microsoft. No one likes Bing anyway :V

JT

« Reply #585 on: March 31, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
Microsoft complaining about anti-competition.

Oh that is delicious.

What's really ironic is that this "anti-competition" complaint is in itself just a tool Microsoft is using to expand their own control of the market. It's exactly the kind of cynical opportunistic bullshit this sort of thing is supposed to prevent.

Tengukami

« Reply #586 on: March 31, 2011, 07:06:46 PM »
Well, having lived under EU law (although not a part of the European Union, Iceland is in the European Economic Area, which subjects the countries therein to EU labor and business law) for years now, I can attest that the EU does not take kindly to any sort of megacorporation from abroad. We like to keep our monopolies in our continent, tyvm. So I think we can expect that this complaint from Microsoft will drag on for years to come.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #587 on: April 02, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »
Civil war still raging in C?te d'Ivoire.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12946018

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #588 on: April 02, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »
Nine killed and 81 injured in Kandahar protest against US burning of Qur'an. This brings the total to 16 dead in 2 days. Despite this, Terry Jones remains defiant.

This is the price of free speech. :( Far as I can tell, since his words have not lead to violence against Muslims nothing can be done to stop him (hate speech vs hate crime, am I mistaken?), which means the Western image in the Middle East is taking a monsterous hit thanks to one small group of idiots.

Do I even need to remind everyone that not all Americans are like this? :fail: I love my country, I really do. But things like this push it...

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #589 on: April 02, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »
"Muslim dominated countries can no longer be allowed to spread their hate against Christians and minorities," Jones stated.

Ah hypocrisy, how we love you.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #590 on: April 02, 2011, 05:01:43 PM »
Ah hypocrisy, how we love you.
Well, not to marginalize the stupid shit west is pulling, but the situation is not really comparable with, say, Christians in Saudi Arabia. Very bad image and slightly reduced rights vs lashings and executions?

I mean, the number of american flags these guys have burned is uncountable. Yet if somebody decides to burn a Quran, now that is a reason for a declaration of war for many.

Terry Jones is a douche, no doubt, but violence and killing is a whole other category.

Whatever...
Fuck religion.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #591 on: April 02, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »
I mean, the number of american flags these guys have burned is uncountable. Yet if somebody decides to burn a Quran, now that is a reason for a declaration of war for many.

The funny part is how easily a national flag is being compared to a religious text.

The sad part is how a lot of people genuinely think that way.

Oh... that's a cruel idea. A US-only poll for deciding whether to burn a Bible or an American flag in protest... that would be hilarious. And potentially telling.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #592 on: April 02, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »
Oh... that's a cruel idea. A US-only poll for deciding whether to burn a Bible or an American flag in protest... that would be hilarious. And potentially telling.
FUND IT!

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

« Reply #593 on: April 02, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #594 on: April 02, 2011, 07:30:24 PM »
Fuck religion.
+1

But Jesus gave us the Constitution.  It's the same thing, don't ya know?   :X

« Reply #595 on: April 02, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
tru fax: AMERICA is the only country that ever mattered, matters, and will matter

well until the inevitable collapse of thier economy anyways :derp:

Tengukami

« Reply #597 on: April 02, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »
The funny part is how easily a national flag is being compared to a religious text.

The sad part is how a lot of people genuinely think that way.

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're meaning, but I don't see why this is sad. A country's national flag and a faith's holy text are both symbols of belief or solidarity, whether it be belief in God or in your country's national identity, that you can get replicas of pretty much anywhere. The impact in the protest is the "this is what we think of your symbolism" approach of burning things that we see as being important in our lives, whether it's a flag, a bible or a (insert your favourite Touhou character here) doll.

Also that painting is actually quite cool with all the symbolism packed into it, though the artist's negative representation of liberals is a little irritating; less bias would have been cool.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Tengukami

« Reply #598 on: April 02, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're meaning, but I don't see why this is sad. A country's national flag and a faith's holy text are both symbols of belief or solidarity, whether it be belief in God or in your country's national identity, that you can get replicas of pretty much anywhere.

I think what Mouse is pointing out is that elevating political text to the same plane as religious text gives it a false air of divine authority and infallibility.

« Reply #599 on: April 02, 2011, 11:14:42 PM »
I think what Mouse is pointing out is that elevating political text to the same plane as religious text gives it a false air of divine authority and infallibility.

Oh right. Yeah, I'd agree that's quite illogical.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.