Author Topic: Keep reading the news!  (Read 62437 times)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Keep reading the news!
« on: December 01, 2010, 03:15:51 AM »
Since the old thread finally hit 1000 posts, it's time for more news!  Discussion etc. goes here.  Please try to keep it to at least quasi-legitimate sources.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
Re: Keep reading the news!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:20:14 AM »
Crisis averted. But really, the pilot lying about it makes it all worse.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 07:24:17 AM »
I lol'd at Bank of America's stock plummeting, by the way.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:43:18 AM »
TENGUKAMI

I HAVE A REQUEST FOR YOU

... and then I need to learn the language :(

I lol'd at Bank of America's stock plummeting, by the way.

It's really wonderful how much of the economy is based purely on perception, so much easier to tweak than actual demand
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:09:53 PM »
TENGUKAMI

I HAVE A REQUEST FOR YOU

... and then I need to learn the language :(

This parliamentary proposal (?ings?lyktun) was passed earlier this summer. That's how we're able to have a Wikileaks server here and the government is totally OK with it.

NEWS EDIT:

Incoming House majority leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) introduces a Constitutional amendment allowing a 2/3 vote by the state governments to overturn any federal law or regulation. Because that's what America needs - 50 individual little fiefdoms.
For several weeks now, conservative legal circles have been buzzing with Virginia House Speaker Bill Howell's plan to amend the Constitution so that a 2/3 vote of the states could overturn overturn any federal law passed by the Congress and signed by the President. Howell first floated the idea in a September Wall Street Journal op-ed he co-wrote with Georgetown University law professor Randy Barnett.

"At present, the only way for states to contest a federal law or regulation is to bring a constitutional challenge in federal court or seek an amendment to the Constitution," the pair wrote. "A state repeal power provides a targeted way to reverse particular congressional acts and administrative regulations without relying on federal judges or permanently amending the text of the Constitution to correct a specific abuse."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:46:11 PM by Amaterasu »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 02:10:59 PM »
NEWS EDIT:

Incoming House majority leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) introduces a Constitutional amendment allowing a 2/3 vote by the state governments to overturn any federal law or regulation. Because that's what America needs - 50 individual little fiefdoms.
I thought anti-Federalism died over a hundred years ago...

It sounds like a good idea on its face, but I don't see anything that's genuinely good coming from this now or certainly in the future.  Although - what practical effect would repealing the 17th Amendment (direct election of senators) have?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 02:12:58 PM »
I used to be a pretty big advocate of state's rights, and still am to a degree, but the solution lies in increasing representation, not redistributing power.  We've long since passed the point where we can go back to a limited federal government.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/12/01/2010-12-01_oklahoma_women_ailene_brown_shmeco_thomas_accused_of_smuggling_stolen_goods_in_b.html?r=news

A pair of would-be shoplifters gave themselves a fat chance for a clean getaway.

Using their body fat to hide the stolen goods, two women allegedly swiped $2,600 of merchandise at an Oklahoma TJ Maxx before being caught in the act, police said.

Referring to suspects Ailene Brown, 28, and Shmeco Thomas, 37, Edmond, Okla. Officer James Hamm said the two put items in "areas of their body where excess skin was" including "under their chest and armpits."

One of the women, Hamm said, tried to smuggle three pairs of boots underneath her breasts.

In total, the roly-poly robbers tried to escape with four pairs of boots, three pairs of jeans a wallet and gloves, police said.

The cops said Brown used a knife to slice off security tags during their attempted heist.

Both women were arrested for shoplifting and face felony charges

Edible

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 09:56:09 PM »
oh god yuck why :(

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 04:51:26 AM »
Exactly.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:54:35 AM »

Admittedly, the Articles of Confederation were initially set up as if the US WAS a set of individual little fiefdoms banded together for protection. But it's much too late to switch back to that format so readily, especially if you worship the constitution instead.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Tengukami

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »
The AoC was also set up at a time when the US was 13 states totaling about 2 million people. And it still failed.

Also, I tend to think that states' rights is a concept that a person needs to be very careful with. It was just a few decades ago that we needed to send the National Guard into Alabama and Mississippi because they refused to recognize federal law with regards to segregation. Then I imagine the same scenario with regards to abortion rights, religion, social welfare and gun laws, and I can't see any good coming of this amendment.

The thing is, I seriously doubt he expects this to pass. Amending the constitution takes a great deal of consensus, and I'm sure the distinguished gentleman is aware this consensus doesn't exist. No, what he's doing is sowing the seeds for a Senate takeover.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:53:57 AM by Amaterasu »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 08:27:19 PM »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 12:53:33 AM »
A bit late, but Popular Science has posted the Best of What's New ver. 2010. This proves once again that science will destroy and save us all and entertain us while doing so.

Of particular personal note is the First Personalized Cancer Vaccine because I worked on a similar project for a few months. Instead of prostate cancer, the vaccine focused on liver cancer, and the APC's were helped along by a retrovirus. However, the doc in charge of the research turned out to be a sociopath, so that led to an unfortunately early exit.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »
Just in case none of you really heard, Mother Russia has been chosen to host the 2018 World Cup, while Qatar will host the 2022 World Cup.

It's what the Brits get for having the damn Media hungry for Scandals. They definitely aren't helping by bashing FIFA even more for this decision :V

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 02:23:08 AM »

Here's a nice little article on the proposed Repeal Amendment.

Would the city of New Orleans ever be rebuilt following a Katrina disaster if 2/3 of the states were empowered to repeal federal legislation appropriating the money to do so? After all, what's in it for Texas? Or Ohio? While the port of New Orleans may be essential to the movement of goods into the nation?and certainly important to the economic viability of the city?the loss of the port would mean more business to other ports of entry in Texas or other regional centers. What, exactly, would be the motivation of any state that is not Louisiana to support the economy of New Orleans?

I agree that the proposal would pervert the basic compromise of federalism, and also that opponents need to be saying more about this.  What does it say when progressives' best response is the Rally to Restore Sanity And/Or Fear--which, as someone whose name escapes me at the moment said, explains why the wrong ideas are funny, but not why they're wrong?  The article suggests that liberals have forgotten how to invoke the Constitution for themselves, which is interesting when you consider that progressives held a virtual monopoly on Constitutional theory until around the '70s or '80s.  How did such a total flip in the discourse come about so quickly?  Are progressives staying out of the debate out of intellectual inertia, a reluctance to credit the opposing position by addressing it, or what?  And will they realize they can't rest on being the 'default position' before they cease to be the default?

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Tengukami

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 11:23:03 PM »
Progressives learned to cower in fear from even being called "liberal" since Bush Sr. started using it as an insult. The Democrats stampeded for the middle, and having "leftist" ideas was tantamount to being an avowed child molester.

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »
Progressives learned to cower in fear from even being called "liberal" since Bush Sr. started using it as an insult. The Democrats stampeded for the middle, and having "leftist" ideas was tantamount to being an avowed child molester.

And we're still going with it. All it gets us is more debt, poorly quality of life, and less jobs.
Seriously the lefty politicians need to man up and put a boot in the GOP's ass.
As far as I'm concerned, Obama is a Republican. 

Aliquantic

• Bose-Einstein condensate
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 11:33:47 AM »
NASA finds some bacteria with arsenic based DNA in some lake in california

Sadly NASA's claims have been over-hyped and it's far from certain whether there's any meat to their arsenic based DNA :( That guy covers some of the big question mark areas over that study.

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 04:43:40 AM »

Edible

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 07:19:36 AM »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »
Sadly NASA's claims have been over-hyped and it's far from certain whether there's any meat to their arsenic based DNA :( That guy covers some of the big question mark areas over that study.
This is the unfortunate truth. Much of the lab work was hastily done, which has resulted in numerous groups questioning the results. Call it rushed, call it a slovenly performed body of work, but in the end, the science is shaky and life that uses arsenic as opposed to phosphorous has yet to be proven.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 02:25:38 AM »
There's been protests going on at London over the tripled Tuition fees. They recently received some pictures of them.

Quite the event...

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2010, 04:31:16 AM »
White Guy Becomes Black Bank Robber With Super Realistic Hollywood Mask

Last spring, a white Polish immigrant robbed several Ohio banks wearing a hyper-realistic Hollywood mask. To security cameras and witnesses, he looked like an undisguised black man. Which is why an innocent black guy was arrested for the crimes.

When Conrad Zdzierak called Hollywood mask-making company SPFXMasks inquiring about a mask of a young African American man called "The Player" and a matching set of black hands, he said he was doing the research as a movie producer. He was actually doing the research as a bank robber.

Zdzierak ordered the mask?the company's run from $600 to $1200?and donned it to commit a series of bank robberies in Ohio. Police acted quickly and mistakenly arrested a black man for the crimes. Six of seven eye witnesses identified the black man as the culprit in a lineup, and even the falsely accused man's mother thought it was her son when Police showed her a surveillance photo of the robber. That's a pretty effective disguise! The man was locked up until recently, when Zdzierak's girlfriend found the mask and a stash of money and contacted police.

Recently, a Chinese man used one of SPFXMasks' products to sneak onto a plane disguised as an elderly white man, and Zdzierak's robberies are leading authorities to believe that Southern California's "Geezer Bandit," an elderly bank robber who has gone unapprehended for months, might not be so elderly after all.

"We're proud of the fact that our masks look real, but I'm not proud of the way they were used," said Rusty Slusser, the owner of SPFXMasks. I think I might get one of those old person ones and retire really really early. [LAT]

Man if it wasn't for his damn girlfriend he would've gotten away with it all.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2010, 10:04:30 AM »
There's been protests going on at London over the tripled Tuition fees. They recently received some pictures of them.

Quite the event...
Because random acts of vandalism show how much more rational your position is.
Because riding through protesters with horses can't possibly go wrong.
Because people on both sides are stupid.

Still not as bad as that peaceful protest that got pummeled into oblivion in Canada, but still.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2010, 04:52:46 PM »
On the other hand, the photos are fantastic.

I've taken photos of education rallies against higher tuition rates myself, and I wish that my subjects were half as dynamic. Not destructive, just dynamic.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 09:04:06 AM »
All in all, I thought it was total stupidity to suddenly jump the gun and triple the tuition fees when traditionally it was never charged at all.
They should have eased out, say... begin with 2K per annum to a 6 year plan, and a 12 year increase for the rest.

But then again, Europe is pretty much in deep shit now so yeah.
thank god I studied there when it was 2004.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?