Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Ep.18 - Naut  (Read 48174 times)

Ask a Staffer Ep.18 - Naut
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:34:05 PM »
Ask questions, receive answers.

Re: Ask a Staffer Ep.18 - Naut
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 01:36:54 PM »
It seems that Marisa is your favorite character. Could you tell us why?

How long have you been playing shmups? How often do you play them?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:39:38 PM »
At what point does a danmaku pattern no longer have "too many safespots"?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
And for that matter, what's more important to you, bombs or lives?
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
It seems that Marisa is your favorite character. Could you tell us why?

She's awesome. Outgoing, not afraid to speak her mind, life of the party, etc. She's almost always the character I use in the games due to her speed and firepower, which I prefer to have in high quantity.

How long have you been playing shmups? How often do you play them?

Actively, since October 2008. I had played one or two in an arcade before then but I had no idea what they were. Also played Gradius V before that as well, but not very much. October is when I tried out Mushihimesama, Imperishable Night and Subterranean Animism after watching the "Hardest Boss Ever" video as well as Dracil's IN Extra playthrough (which, at the time, I thought "What the fuck is going on this is awesome"). I didn't start playing specifically to get better until March 2010, where I started playing shmups primarily over other videogame genres like RTS and FPS. I usually play almost every day for a little bit, maybe an hour, though some days I'll play a lot more if I have some free time, and other days I won't play at all because I'm working on a game in danmakufu or hanging out with friends... Or something like that.

At what point does a danmaku pattern no longer have "too many safespots"?

When one can no longer see the background because of the bullets.

And for that matter, what's more important to you, bombs or lives?

Score. Of the two, lives, because I much prefer to dodge stuff over bombing through it, and getting lives gives me more chances to do so.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 02:45:17 PM »
I think we could be bros. Like how Hele is a bro. You in?

Care to join us for Unreal Tournament in GBA when we get the server?

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:12:14 PM »
Does your name have any relation to ships or sailors?

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »
Obligatory how did you find MotK?
Obligatory how did you become a staff member?
Obligatory what DO you do here as staff? What's your function sailor?

Do you think you would make a good diplomat for your country?  :yukkuri:

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
What's your preferred/favorite scoring system in any shmup?

Favorite shmup?

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 06:23:46 PM »
Why does your name make me think of those enemies from Paper Mario 2?
What is the hardest spellcard you've ever captured? What is the hardest touhou boss in general?
Why am I your favourite? <3

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:41 PM »

If yes...

Preferred Weapon?

Preferred Race / Class / Colour Armour / etc, etc?

How good are you at UT?

Better then the rabbit?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »
What are so far your greatest achievements and your greatest failures? (don't have to tell if you don't want to, obviously)

What is the #1 design advice you can give to any danmakufuist?

There are no different races or classes in UT.

If you think there are, you are thinking of the wrong game.  :smug:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 10:19:36 PM »
So how about that Alice?

What's the first Touhou game you 1cc'd, and how did you feel afterwards? (You have 1cc'd at least one, right?)

What are you goals in life, in order of priority? (if one has priority over the others, just list them if they don't)

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »
As I've said before, "Naut" is the Icelandic word for "bull", as in a steer. Thoughts?

Just how badly do you miss Bananamatic?

You are being shipped to a desert island where you can only bring one shmup, and it cannot be Touhou. What do you choose and why?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 12:38:04 AM »
I think we could be bros. Like how Hele is a bro. You in?

Hell yeah.

I've never played/don't own UT, but if I did I totally would.

Does your name have any relation to ships or sailors?

Sadly, no it doesn't.

Obligatory how did you find MotK?
Obligatory how did you become a staff member?
Obligatory what DO you do here as staff? What's your function sailor?

Do you think you would make a good diplomat for your country?  :yukkuri:

Was looking around for Danmakufu tutorials and stumbled across Blargel's basic tutorial on the old MotK before this one, and spent most of my time hanging around the Danmakufu Dojo back then, not really meandering away from that board much. When MotK had the wipe back in April 09, I started exploring the other boards, mainly the gaming ones.

There was a "request to be a janitor" button over a year ago, which I clicked and was then randomly appointed Shrine Janitor unexpectedly a couple months later with a few other people. As a Shrine Janitor, I move around thread to their right place if somebody posted in the incorrect subforum, I'll resize pictures that are over the limits, and other clean up things like that. We don't make decisions on members of the community, nor do we have any authority to do so, though we'll occasionally weigh in on moderator reports too.

I would make a horrible diplomat for Canada :fail:

What's your preferred/favorite scoring system in any shmup?

Favorite shmup?

UFO and UFO, probably because of the former. I like being able to trade away getting lives for score. There's no real gimmicks that make me dodge less either like in bullet cancelling games, and I don't have to brutally memorize everything like in chaining games. It works really well and I can score at my own pace and adjust my UFO collection if I screw up or something. I also like the dodging the game makes me do so I'm glad the scoring is awesome too :V

Why does your name make me think of those enemies from Paper Mario 2?
What is the hardest spellcard you've ever captured? What is the hardest touhou boss in general?
Why am I your favourite? <3

You're crazy :V

Byakuren's first spell card on Lunatic, Good Omen "Nirvana's Cloudy Way in Purple." I could say something like Virtue of Wind God but it's really not as hard as people think. I have a much harder time consistantly capturing Byakuren's opening spell card than I do timing out Virtue of Wind God. Byakuren is also the hardest boss to me.

Because you're so crazy <3

Preferred Weapon?

How good are you at UT?

Better then the rabbit?

Dunno, dunno, never played so probably horrible (though I do play FPS games regularly so I'd like to think I could pick it up fast), unlikely.

What are so far your greatest achievements and your greatest failures? (don't have to tell if you don't want to, obviously)

In regards to life in general? I wouldn't know what my greatest achievements are, regardless of whether or not it's my own personal scale or what other people would consider my greatest achievements. Failures, probably failing out of University due to lack of interest. I'm going back in 2012, but I shouldn't've let myself fall so behind.

What is the #1 design advice you can give to any danmakufuist?

Add variety. You don't want your non-spells to be the same shit rehashed over and over again with some slight variation (even though ZUN sorta does this with Extra stages, he can do wrong, that shit sucks). Spell cards should have a definite theme but be very different in both presentation and dodging required. If you're doing the same thing over and over again, nobody is going to want to play your scripts over and over again, because they already felt like they have. It's boring.

So how about that Alice?

How about her? She's nice, I guess. Kind of a bitch, though.

What's the first Touhou game you 1cc'd, and how did you feel afterwards? (You have 1cc'd at least one, right?)

Subterranean Animism was the first game I 1cc'd, on Normal mode. It took me a long ass time. It felt fucking fantastic. IN would've been my second 1cc, also on Normal, but I didn't like that game as much at the time so I didn't put any effort in to it. I did prefer it's extra stage though, so it eventually became my first Extra clear, followed by Subterranean Animism's shortly after. By this point, I was interested in the other games, and Perfect Cherry Blossom was next. Unlocking Phantasm in that was a time as well. Fucking great. Not to sound like an asshole, but I do wish I sucked as much as I did back then nowadays, just so I could get more out of these games. I barely get any enjoyment out of Extra stages now, and I usually have to put some stupid special condition on my runs to make them challenging and fun. Back then it was challenging just to play on Normal mode, and Extra was still the holy grail of achievements for me. Great times.

UFO was my first lunatic 1cc, back in March 2010. UFO was also my first hard 1cc, in September 2010. MoF is the only other game I've 1cc'd on hard mode. I've cleared UFO, MoF, SA and IN on Lunatic, PCB on Normal, and I've never cleared EoSD. I'm pretty sure I haven't cleared any PC98 games, though I can't remember.

What are you goals in life, in order of priority? (if one has priority over the others, just list them if they don't)

Finish University, move out, get [permanent] job (since I already have one now), find wife. In no particular order.

As I've said before, "Naut" is the Icelandic word for "bull", as in a steer. Thoughts?

Kick ass. Wait, bull as in animal, or bull as in bullshit? >_>

Just how badly do you miss Bananamatic?

Not very. He livened the place up a bit, I guess. I pester him on another forum I go to though so it's not like I don't have contact with him anymore.

You are being shipped to a desert island where you can only bring one shmup, and it cannot be Touhou. What do you choose and why?

Probably Dodonpachi Daioujou. I find it a lot of fun and it would give me an excuse to learn all the chains in the game :V

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 12:57:47 AM »
Yeah, "bull" like the animal.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 03:54:10 AM »
GET OUT >:(

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 04:06:17 AM »
Oh look! I have so much to ask y- go play mars matrix

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 05:16:50 AM »
Oh look! I have so much to ask y- go play mars matrix

What does 'home run derby' mean to you? 8)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 06:19:12 AM »
cyberpunk or steampunk
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
Naut. Why Naut?

And also, MOTHERFUCKERS

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 11:51:54 AM »
Are you done with Ijiyatsu yet?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »
Marisa rejects you, what would you do?

On a more serious note: How would you describe yourself on the following aspects:  thoughts and actions, social stance, beliefs and dreams.

On an even more serious note: Do you own any animals and if you would want, which one(s) and why.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »
Hibachi: Brutal dictator or misunderstood foreign leader?

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 02:22:14 PM »
Favourite shmup pattern(s)?
Let's fight.

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 02:27:20 PM »
Yeah, "bull" like the animal.

Hell yeah.  8) I'll take that in the best way possible.

GET OUT >:(

THESHIM :)

What does 'home run derby' mean to you? 8)

I need unlimited credits for unlimited room for failure in my game of T-ball.

Naut. Why Naut?

And also, MOTHERFUCKERS

Look at this motherfucker.

Are you done with Ijiyatsu yet?

We're working on it more than people think, and have lots of stuff completed. We just keep rethinking stupid things and changing stuff so it takes a long time. And we're lazy. :derp:

Marisa rejects you, what would you do?

Seppuku I don't really like her in a romantic/etc sense, she's really just my favourite Touhou character and that's all :V Though I guess if she rejects my friendship or something... Not that she seems the type to do so even if I am horribly uninteresting

On a more serious note: How would you describe yourself on the following aspects:  thoughts and actions,

Spontaneous, borderline impatient, though only in some regards. I don't think very far in to the future (or more accurately, I don't care much about it). It's not something that hinders communication -- I don't say stuff and immediately regret it mind you, but I will procrastinate to ungodly levels and generally not care about the consequences due to a really relaxed attitude. I don't stress or worry about anything, regardless of importance. I don't freak out over anything, nor do I take offense to anything (which I guess is almost a lie, but it's extremely difficult to offend me even when trying to). I avoid conflict, even if it means I have to pretend I don't understand what's going on, just to defuse a situation (or never start one). I would never be the one to start a fight.

social stance,

Conservative. I don't like changing things just for the sake of changing them. I'm not against change, but I don't encourage or enable it actively.

beliefs

I'm a Christian, so that about sums up everything in regards to that, I guess.

and dreams.

Nothing beyond my goals I guess. I don't aspire to be rich/famous or anything, so I don't really have dreams beyond my really basic goals in life.

On an even more serious note: Do you own any animals and if you would want, which one(s) and why.

I own a cat. I don't think I'd like to own any other animal, really. Not that I don't like any, but cats are awesome enough that I wouldn't need to  8)

Hibachi: Brutal dictator or misunderstood foreign leader?

Misunderstood. He's just a tool of a higher power, after all.

Favourite shmup pattern(s)?

Virtue of Wind God
Spoiler:
at 90fps
is an easy pick. Border of Wave and Particle
Spoiler:
with the SA ultra mod on
is another good one. DFK's laser wheels are still awesome. Can't think of much else right now, there are lots that I enjoy, but not enough to call my favourites. I'll think about it more at work.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »
Any long term shmup goals? Really ideal stuff you'd love to achieve (within the realms of possibility).
Let's fight.

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
Favorite food? Beverage?

What is your favorite Danmakufu script?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 04:58:01 PM »
Did you already beat the Afro dude in Uwabami Breakers?

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »
You have to take 3 of us forumites to Vegas with you. One of them must be theshim. Which others do you choose and why?
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear