Author Topic: [Music] Taizen's Tindeck (Updated 9/17) (Has drawings in it)  (Read 17733 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Wow, I'm terrible. This is my second thread.
~Regardless~
I make music.
I would make art, but I have not a scanner anymore.

look at this

I will update

whenever!
(But I do update a bit. Keep on your toes. Or not. I'll just tell you when.)
Comments and constructive criticisms and suggestions wanted!
Requests might be accepted! Just remember that I suck!

(Just don't use the Tindeck feedback form because that's my spam email)

Not Tindeck, but still music :I

This is the soundtrack to the Lunacy Star STG.
While listening to it (and even opening the file) will spoil things a little, I'd still like to know what people think of it. Whether or not it's fitting and all.
And the actual demo for the game is coming out this Thursday. Look out for that.

http://www.filedropper.com/lunacystarmusic_1

17 December update is not on Tindeck.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:27:25 AM by Chisou Taizen »

Anunsew

• No errors for 5 seconds!
  • Currently fueled by Infinite Love!
Re: [Music] Taizen's Tindeck
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 12:47:35 AM »
Sounds SNES-y. I like it~

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 12:53:32 AM »
Thank you!
I will continue to upload a couple of the remixes tracks to that STG I'm working on in Akyu's Arcade next, I think.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 01:46:17 PM »
Added "Oceans," an older one, and "Untitled 6," which was made yesterday.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Re: [Music] Taizen's Tindeck Updated 07/11
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »
Not Tindeck, but still music :I

This is the soundtrack to the Lunacy Star STG.
While listening to it (and even opening the file) will spoil things a little, I'd still like to know what people think of it. Whether or not it's fitting and all.
And the actual demo for the game is coming out this Thursday. Look out for that.

http://www.filedropper.com/lunacystarmusic_1

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Re: [Music] Taizen's Tindeck (Now with something else?)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
Added Untitled 7.
A fast piece that was thrown together in about 30 minutes.

Anunsew

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:07:11 AM »
Added Untitled 7.
I have a question!

Is this software or hardware synthesis? It sounds like it was recorded through an analog medium. XD

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »
Added Untitled 7.
It seems you also added effects, such as a bit-reducing and wavesample-reducing VST, onto the mix. Neat.

I don't think it would be hardware synthesis, unless the output was first recorded and then effect applied.
Most incoming composers work with software almost exclusively anyway.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Re: [Music] Taizen's Tindeck (Updated 7/26)
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 01:18:58 PM »
Ahahaha... I know how to play the drums, but I can't touch anywhere near this...
My production cycle is basically "write a MIDI," "add filters."
If the filters make it sound cool, then I upload it.
I use FL Studio 9, actually.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »
Ahahaha... I know how to play the drums, but I can't touch anywhere near this...
My production cycle is basically "write a MIDI," "add filters."
If the filters make it sound cool, then I upload it.
I use FL Studio 9, actually.
I see.
As for FL, Anunsew and a couple others can help you here. I, a Logic and Sonar user, don't have much for FL, aside from maybe a few VST recommendations and 'try hardware and/or pro software as you go on'.

Which synth in FL did you use to create the MIDI? It definitely doesn't seem like MSGS, even with the filters....

EDIT: I prefer 320kbps CBR 48kHz MP3 if you plan to stick with that format. 128 is far too lossy IMO.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:58:27 PM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
Bad command or file name

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »
I don't know how to answer your question :fail:
I think it's the one that you mentioned, but for posterity here's a picture with everything.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »
I think it's the one that you mentioned, but for posterity here's a picture with everything.
Screenshot answered it somewhat (Fruity LSD set). But again, I don't know FL at all, so....

EDIT: FL has some funny plugin names..."Soundgoodizer"? This is an odd DAW indeed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:16:16 PM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 01:01:47 AM »
Ah! Another FL user! :3
The mixture of Fruity Reverb + Soundgoodizer enhanced the saturation effect...I think.

EDIT: FL has some funny plugin names..."Soundgoodizer"? This is an odd DAW indeed.
Soundgoodizer is a mastering/compression/limiter VST that is a part of Maximus VST. It only has four settings (A, B, C, D) and a mixing level ratio.  I never used Soundgoodizer since it has a tendency to overcompress tracks; I think they're more suited for punchy music like dance/club compositions.

On the other hand, I love Maximus. It's a multiband compressor/limiter/noisegate/expander/de-esser, and it lessens the load on my processor since I can use only one memory space for this VST instead of using multiple VSTs. Ever since I learned how to use it, I've never used another compressor (except for FL Limiter's built-in compressor which I use for individual tracks).

Odd DAW?
You haven't seen the full oddness of FL Studio just yet.

Then again, FL's default Midi Out plugin is named in such a thought provoking manner.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:09:03 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 01:30:29 AM »
Soundgoodizer is a mastering/compression/limiter VST that is a part of Maximus VST. It only has four settings (A, B, C, D) and a mixing level ratio.  I never used Soundgoodizer since it has a tendency to overcompress tracks; I think they're more suited for punchy music like dance/club compositions.

On the other hand, I love Maximus. It's a multiband compressor/limiter/noisegate/expander/de-esser, and it lessens the load on my processor since I can use only one memory space for this VST instead of using multiple VSTs. Ever since I learned how to use it, I've never used another compressor (except for FL Limiter's built-in compressor which I use for individual tracks).
...I am lost here (Logic does not use VSTs natively, and I use different sets for Sonar).

Odd DAW?
You haven't seen the full oddness of FL Studio just yet.

Then again, FL's default Midi Out plugin is named in such a thought provoking manner.
FL-Chan! Hilarious figure - no wonder why FL is so commonly used by upcoming musicians and considered a prosumer joke monkey by professionals!
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 02:05:38 AM »
...I am lost here (Logic does not use VSTs natively, and I use different sets for Sonar).
Ah, sorry. I always forget that not all people are familiar with VST. >.<

FL-Chan! Hilarious figure - no wonder why FL is so commonly used by upcoming musicians and considered a prosumer joke monkey by professionals!
It's a serious piece of software if you manage to dig into it though. It just has a weird learning curve--good for me that I didn't have any prior knowledge of piano roll when I used it. XD

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 02:40:22 AM »
Ah, sorry. I always forget that not all people are familiar with VST. >.<
Well, I'm familiar with them overall, just not those specific VSTs you're referring to. I use Audio Units (AUs) more often, however, owing to Logic's use of those for plugins instead.

It's a serious piece of software if you manage to dig into it though. It just has a weird learning curve--good for me that I didn't have any prior knowledge of piano roll when I used it. XD
Interface doesn't look too welcoming either for newcomers, and seems a bit crowded.
In comparison, here's the Logic one (which also includes the Dock and menu bar....):
[attach=1]

That's a bit odd that you approached FL without any piano roll knowledge, or likely even experience with basic tools in basic programs (such as Anvil Studio or GarageBand). I'd have suggested that first....
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 03:04:31 AM »
Interface doesn't look too welcoming either for newcomers, and seems a bit crowded.
In comparison, here's the Logic one (which also includes the Dock and menu bar....):
[attach=1]
Actually, I could say the same thing for Logic. It's generally up to the preference of the user, I think. :P
Now that I see the picture closely, it resembles FL's interface in the most basic ways. The difference is that FL's windows aren't docked by default, so people usually throw them all around the place. O_o

That's a bit odd that you approached FL without any piano roll knowledge, or likely even experience with basic tools in basic programs (such as Anvil Studio or GarageBand). I'd have suggested that first....
I did have knowledge with notation composition though. It was just a matter of importing knowledge. :P
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:06:12 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 03:11:30 AM »
Actually, I could say the same thing for Logic. It's generally up to the preference of the user, I think. :P
Now that I see the picture closely, it resembles FL's interface in the most basic ways. The difference is that FL's windows aren't docked by default, so people usually throw them all around the place. O_o
Logic generally keeps stuff docked together in one area to minimize clutter, as do many other Apple products.

It is user preference, really. I guess I've gotten used to this minimalist interface (which makes Sonar, my secondary DAW, a bit difficult to use at times).

Meanwhile, in consumer-grade Garageband...
[attach=1]
(by default it comes with fewer instruments - the extras were obtained as part of Logic)

I did have knowledge with notation composition though. It was just a matter of importing knowledge. :P
Ah. I see. That must've made it a good bit easier, then!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:14:25 AM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
Bad command or file name

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 03:13:41 AM »
I started using FL without any prior knowledge of composition at all :D

Actually, I've been using it off and on for four years.
Isn't my work great?? :D
~Sadface~

And as for that other piece of software, what is that? (Edit: Not GarageBand. Not my cup of tea.) Think I could pick it up? :3

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 03:18:54 AM »
I started using FL without any prior knowledge of composition at all :D

Actually, I've been using it off and on for four years.
Isn't my work great?? :D
~Sadface~
Impressive. ~

And as for that other piece of software, what is that? (Edit: Not GarageBand. Not my cup of tea.) Think I could pick it up? :3
Logic Studio 9 (US$499, update likely within a year on Mac App Store). Very good deal for the money - 50+GB of loops, software instruments, and application suite all in one box!
Logic Express 9 (I know one person here uses the previous version) is US$199 and offers the same interface and quite a few of the AUs. It doesn't come with the extras (Mainstage, Waveburner, Compressor, GarageBand Jam Packs, a BUNCH of Apple Loops) however.

Note that Logic does not support VSTs or FL project imports, so to get data over you'll have to convert them to MIDIs, import in Logic, and reassign instruments and effects.
Also, there is quite a learning curve, even from GarageBand. It makes quick sense though.
Lastly, I doubt the next version will get an upgrade license for us previous owners, so Academic boxes (which are cheaper and for uni students, but non-upgradeable) may be a good option. The Express version may get discontinued upon the new verison's release, though, going by what happened to Final Cut Express (Apple prosumer video editing product - it sucks) once Final Cut Pro X was put out.

I also find it funny that you switched over to Mac OS (or iOS) for that post. :V
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:27:35 AM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
Bad command or file name

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 03:37:23 AM »
FOUR HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS :o
Well yeah, though, that's to be expected :I
I'll look into it. If it's anywhere near the simplicity and ease of use (not sarcasm) of FL Studio, then I'll check it out.

And I Internet on everything.
As in from a computer, a Mac, any assorted line of MacBook laptops, iPhones, iPods, Android phones, the Nintendo Wii and DSi, etc.
I've actually been rotating throughout that list every time I post here.

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 03:47:46 AM »
If you're happy with FL Studio then there's no reason to get a new DAW.
Invest on VST instruments and/or effects instead.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 03:57:42 AM »
If you're happy with FL Studio then there's no reason to get a new DAW.
Invest on VST instruments and/or effects instead.
Or, invest in hardware synths. :D They aren't as common nowadays but the sound quality is very good.

Recommending the above, but there are a few exceptions to this rule *EP looks at own production systems and OSes*, and even then they have a few workarounds.

EDIT: Also, going to Logic or any other Mac-based DAW (FL isn't one) would IMO give a legitimate reason for using Mac (unlike 95% of the Mac-using population). OS is well optimized for low latency and offers quite a few connection options, including MIDI via LAN, easy use of iPod Touch/iPad/iPhone as MIDI devices, custom virtual cable routing...all within the system.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:06:01 AM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
Bad command or file name

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 11:26:53 PM »
Added Untitled 8 and Forever Alone, which both are at least almost songs, and Not Sparta, which isn't even.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 03:21:59 AM »
Added Untitled 8 and Forever Alone, which both are at least almost songs, and Not Sparta, which isn't even.
Untitled 8 - ...OK the lead's bitcrusher effect isn't quite fitting. I do like that analog drumset.
Forever Alone - The piano sound is a bit overpowering - reduce it (and other parts) as more tracks are playing. It also seems off-beat at times, but that is a nice touch.
Not Sparta - Hey, neat effect processing! Beats my own efforts. Though the drumset is a bit too significant. It could make a great backing noise effect when paired with other drumsets had that drum not been as obvious.
Bad command or file name

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Re: [Music] Taizen's Tindeck (Updated 7/31)
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 03:47:08 AM »
Untitled 8 - ...OK the lead's bitcrusher effect isn't quite fitting. I do like that analog drumset.
Forever Alone - The piano sound is a bit overpowering - reduce it (and other parts) as more tracks are playing. It also seems off-beat at times, but that is a nice touch.
Not Sparta - Hey, neat effect processing! Beats my own efforts. Though the drumset is a bit too significant. It could make a great backing noise effect when paired with other drumsets had that drum not been as obvious.

Haha, thank you!
I would go in and edit these pieces n stuff, but I haven't bought FL.
The demo version disallows loading from saved projects, so I have to compose all of my songs in one go.
It's a process that usually takes anywhere between 15 to 120 minutes, so I usually end up liking a song as I'm creating, but hating it the next day when I randomly decide to listen to it.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 04:02:45 AM »
Haha, thank you!
I would go in and edit these pieces n stuff, but I haven't bought FL.
The demo version disallows loading from saved projects, so I have to compose all of my songs in one go.
It seems you're liking the DAW already. I say buy!
...though I should also ask this. Since you have several systems plus OSes, can you also tell me the specs of each (post in tech thread, preferably)? Speccy (a free download) will help on Windows, and for Mac use System Profiler (About This Mac -> More Info). The reason is that audio work is very CPU and RAM-intensive (HDD too if you rely a lot on samples and software instruments), so I prefer using the system that has the most CPU power for the primary work.
And depending on what that might be I may recommend a different DAW (for instance, cross platform electronic stuff that uses lots of software instruments? I say Pro Tools or Cubase).

It's a process that usually takes anywhere between 15 to 120 minutes, so I usually end up liking a song as I'm creating, but hating it the next day when I randomly decide to listen to it.
Tip with music production - after a good bit of work, rest your ears and don't listen to the song until the next day. Chances are you'll catch some discrepancies that need fixing. After fixing, repeat for the next few days, maybe a week or two as well, before calling it gold.
Bad command or file name

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 04:12:39 AM »
Thanks for the advice.
As soon as I can work something out that will allow me to do that (Outside of leaving it on all the time. Electricity bills, automatic computer updates >:()

As for the technical details, I might wanna hold off until me and my dad finish this soon-to-be bitchin' computer.
Our current station is... Well, calling it crap is an insult to crap :/

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 02:49:24 AM »
Small update this time. I actually forgot to upload it with the last set.

Added a song that I wrote to show my brother (who wants to learn FL) typical results from it out of me.

It's a slight remix of a song that we all know so well.

*sigh*

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 02:52:46 AM »
It's a slight remix of a song that we all know so well.

*sigh*
FL's built-in loops, I'll guess, for the drums.

Heh, if this was longer and looped I would say the drums are too active.
Plus I was expecting a progression of the beat as the loop progressed, with it finishing at the first beat of the loop.

It could also use supporting parts if you ask me for a better demonstration of FL.
Bad command or file name