Author Topic: Touhou Project 12.5 - ダブルスポイラー ~ Double Spoiler. A spoiling article, ayaya  (Read 147741 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Touhou 12.5 - Double Spoiler
This article will cover the release of Th12.5 on the event day of Reitaisai 14th of March 2010. While half the universe was speculating about Touhou 13, ZUN surprised the entire community once more by announcing another Shoot the Bullet style game. Please read warmly.

Introduction
There isn't a plot to this game. Like Shoot the Bullet, this game is a "boot-and-play" game. You don't need a reason to play this game. You just do it. But never the less, for newcomers to the world of Gensokyo: In this game you play the role of Shameimaru Aya, a crow Tengu who is the news reporter in Gensokyo. She is known for spreading rumours and has the ability to see from great distant and manipulate the wind. As you can already guess, she is a troublesome character.

In a nutshell this game explained: Your job is to capture the most beautiful danmaku with your precious camera. You will be flying around, dodging and waiting patiently to snapshot that precious panty pa--- eh I mean spell card pattern.

Like Marisa did in UFO, Aya seems to have improved her fashion and her gear. Equipped with a possibly new camera (Red lens! Increases pantyshot abilities by 300%!!). Her little crow friend seems to be missing in her new portrait though. Many people speculate her hairstyle is different, judge for yourself.

Aya in 9.5 -------------------------------------- Aya in 12.5
----

Most people speculate that she has pointy elf ears like Parsee, but actually it was never officially confirmed that Parsee has pointy ears as well. So there are rumours going around it is either ZUN's drawing style again or just pointy ears. Either way, I my self have taken a look in ZUN's data (th12.5.dat) and took a look at the face portraits so I got my own ideas about it, but that is not the point of this article. Let us carry on.

Characters
ZUN has announced various characters would appear covering the games from MoF all the way up to UFO including few characters from IaMP and SWR. Because this game is a "spoiler" game, spoiling the list of characters here would be lame. Therefore click here to read the list of characters so far being confirmed. (spoiler warning)

Of course the characters like the Aki Sisters, were already spoiled with the screenshots on ZUN's blog.

There is however a secret second character who seems to be a potential rival to Shameimaru Aya. But that is all I will spoil now! To discover her, you better do your best to work through all stages. Ayayayaya!

Gameplay
I played 9.5, so writing this article isn't going to be difficult in comparing the various things in between. First impression when I started the game was the EXTREME smooth appearance. Really, the frame rate was sweet and movement and controls felt exact. ZUN has been definitely polishing up the engine and it has become something fantastic. More will be discussed in the looks section.

In Double Spoiler, you again fire a snapshot with the Z button. The SHIFT button allows you to focus and reveal your hitbox. Holding SHIFT + Z charges up your camera faster to 100%, but you are sacrificing all your speed to achieve this. New comers will have somewhat difficulty in getting used to this, but it is not hard to learn. Just like in 9.5, your camera 'gun sight' is showing all the time. It is though upgraded to form the full camera sight. It is not disturbing your overview so ZUN did a good job here. Holding down the SHIFT button will not only focus your movement, but also 'aim lock' your camera sight onto the boss.

Normally the boss position is shown with the 'Enemy Marker', but neither 9.5 and 12.5 have this, so you need to pay attention to the boss location. And let me warn you already, some bosses in this game move around a lot!

The game play adds a very interesting new feature which is very handy in some scenes and gives the game a dynamic feeling. The X button is introduced which tilts your camera sight. Now you can choose whether to snapshot a wide image or a vertical image.

Together with these new features you will be facing exactly 108 different patterns, and ZUN warned the fans that the game won't be easy. Prepare to Pichun a lot!

Looks, sounds, music
As said in the gameplay section, the appearance was smooth. ZUN most likely is using the UFO engine combined with the mechanics from StB resulting into a very pleasing game. He even replaced the 'bullet death' animation which looks like mini explosions into tiny particles. Will you all be happy if I report that ZUN uses curvy lasers in this game? No? Well too bad. I hope you all are able to withstand the terrifying, annoying, stomach turning curving lasers. They seem to appear often in the scenes.

The music in the opening scene is again a remix of the famous song <forgot the name orz>, which ZUN has been using throughout all his games. He seems to have dropped the standard Aya theme which played over and over in StB. Now you are granted with several BGMs that change after a few chapters.

The data from ZUN shows various new sound effects. Most of them are standard from Touhou (famous Pichun sfx) but the new ones help you guide through certain attacks. So besides looking, also carefully listen to the sound effects.

Conclusion
Combined with the beauty and smoothness of the UFO engine and the mechanics from StB another brilliant game has been produced by ZUN. The 108 scenes will keep you busy for quite a long while, so don't think you can finish this game that quickly! With the new camera sight function and a red lens you are ready to go.

As I said in the introduction, there isn't a reason to play this game. So just do it! When you are bored at home, or travelling by bus/plane/train; grab your laptop, boot this game up and go for it. Don't forget to also read ZUN's afterword which has been already translated!

So, control our BunBunMaru Tengu and capture pantyshots on photo. This is: Touhou 12.5, Double Spoiler! Ayayayayayaya!

Helepolis

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:28:59 AM by Helepolis »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Excellent work as always, Helepolis.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Ah, this is good 8D

I think one thing you forgot to mention is how new scenes are unlocked - the requirements for 'progressing' to further sections are notably smaller this time than in StB, especially to unlock the Extra scenes.  This means that people with a lower skill level can still experience the full game and its new character, without having to clear almost every single scene in the game.  You don't have to feel pressured to clear a spellcard you just don't think you can handle.

EDIT: So that this is on the first page and stuff, there's two presently known glitches:

*12-6 has some spontaneous death problems
*Clearing SP-4 before SP-1 to SP-3 and hitting 'Next Scene' causes some issues...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:00:20 PM by Garlyle »

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Well with easier requirements to unlock stuff I might enjoy this more than 9.5.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Oh god, Spoiler 9... ZUN is not merciful ;-;
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Just started playing this (currently halfway through level 4, with everything except for 3-4 and 4-2 captured), and so far I like it a lot. Just one thing: Does anyone know where the replays are stored?

Also, yay for capturing 3-8 on my first attempt.

The music in the opening scene is again a remix of the famous song <forgot the name orz>

It's Silk Road Alice, if you were still wondering.  At least I think that's what you were referring to.

Speaking of which, worst soundtrack in the series y/n (though I shouldn't really be surprised, it's StB).

It's Silk Road Alice, if you were still wondering.

Speaking of which, worst soundtrack in the series y/n (though I shouldn't really be surprised, it's StB).
n

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
I don't mind the soundtrack.  Haven't paid much attention to it yet but I remember enjoying it at a few spots.

Also the
Spoiler:
remix of Life In The Mountain is superior to the original, I think

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
Why is level 11 easier than level 10?

ebarrett

worst soundtrack in the series y/n
Nah, it's better than StB's at the very least. I was expecting less, to be honest.

ZUN most likely is using the UFO engine combined with the mechanics from StB
Double Spoiler apparently runs on a reasonably upgraded version of the UFO engine - it requires a more recent version of DirectX, and seems to be considerably faster.

Why is level 11 easier than level 10?
Why is level EX easier than levels 9, 10, 11, 12?

Nah, it's better than StB's at the very least. I was expecting less, to be honest.

Double Spoiler apparently runs on a reasonably upgraded version of the UFO engine - it requires a more recent version of DirectX, and seems to be considerably faster.

Why is level EX easier than levels 9, 10, 11, 12?
Because you have to beat it to
Spoiler:
get Hatate

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Aaand, all scenes in Level Spoiler beaten!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:55:16 PM by NeoMargatroid »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Tengukami

He is using a different version of the UFO engine. When I play UFO full screen, the game runs at 72 FPS. DS in full screen runs at 70 FPS. For me, anyway. Don't think anyone else has that problem. And before you suggest it, vsynch will not work for the version of Wine I'm using.

Also:

Aaand, all scenes in Level Spoiler beaten! Hello, pretty congratulations message

Yeah, definitely not clicking that.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

moldy_tomato

Another glitch. If you beat Spoiler 4 before clearing 1~3, and you select "Next Scene", the game messes up. It basically sends you into the (still locked) Spoiler 5, except you
Spoiler:
aren't playing Hatate like you're supposed to be.
And if you beat Spoiler 9, and select "Next Scene" (wut?), the game crashes for obvious reasons.

Oh god, Spoiler 9... ZUN is not merciful ;-;
I thought it was one of the easiest of the later part of the game.
Cleared it on the second try.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:10:50 PM by moldy_tomato »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Yeah, definitely not clicking that.
I'd put it in spoiler tags, but
A.Links show through spoiler tags.
B.The words pretty much scream "SPOILER".

Aahh, maybe I'll go put the spoiler tag on it now so the black backround will make it even more obvious.

By the way, I think someone asked in the last topic; pressing L will lock the "best shot" of the scene that you see in the menu, so it won't change. A key will appear on the right, so you'll be able to tell if its locked.

And if you beat all Spoiler Scenes and you didn't know this yet, press C in Scene Select and
Spoiler:
you switch to playing Hatate.

Drake

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

I'm still geeking out about being able to switch between taking horizontal and vertical photos. The design, the gameplay, the art, yes even the music - I love it all.

And of course there's room for another reporter. Competition keeps the stories fresh!

Bananamatic

9-7 was fun...while it lasted :/

worst soundtrack in the series y/n
I don't hear any difference between the BGMs tbh

Next StB should be 100 different variations of Seamless Ceiling.

Drake

using the same instruments obviously means they're the same song

Yes, they were all in the same style and were fairly similar, but the soundtrack is still amazing.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

MCXD

• Test
  • Light Sign "Heaven Engine"
I never completed the original STB (Stuck at 60 scenes cleared, Ex still locked D:), I am really enjoying this one, even if it is noticably tougher.

Also, I'm on the "I like the music" bandwagon. I'm almost willing to say everyone who dislikes it was really biased against it from the start (i.e. hated the original STB)

I do wish he put a couple more songs in though.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
For some ungodly reason,
Spoiler:
I haven't played DS yet and likely will not for a while.
>_>

I have some kind of aversion to playing games in the middle of hype. It's the same reason I didn't touch SA for months and UFO for weeks after the release. Ah well.

Sorry, I don't mean to ruin your guys' fun. :x Please enjoy DS.

Tengukami

I can appreciate the sentiment, actually. I'm sort of the same way with music.

moldy_tomato

I never completed the original STB (Stuck at 60 scenes cleared, Ex still locked D:), I am really enjoying this one, even if it is noticably tougher.

Also, I'm on the "I like the music" bandwagon. I'm almost willing to say everyone who dislikes it was really biased against it from the start (i.e. hated the original STB)

I do wish he put a couple more songs in though.
I liked the game, but didn't much like the music. I feel that ZUN's music gets worse (more uninteresting) after each game.
In UFO there was only 1 song I liked as much as most of the music from the older games.

StB at least had one really great song in Sleepless Night imo (two if you want to count Wind God Girl).  None of the music here stands out to me at all.  It just sounds like generic ZUN by numbers.

The gameplay is great so far though.  So far I'm liking the patterns in this game a lot more than in the first game, at least for the first day.  9-7 alone makes this whole game worth it.  Nice to see ZUN himself acknowledging that Seamless Ceiling was the hardest and best scene in StB. :V

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
wow, this is almost an exact replay of what the day after the UFO release was like.

except i think people raged at the bullets and UFOs, not the music.

P♂ zeal

• Haha,
  • old chap
God why do I love this game like 5 times more than StB.
69 scenes finished,
Spoiler:
hatate unlocked. Jesus christ was SP-9 hard

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
Well I actually like the music...don't know what is wrong...
Anyway, 7-5 is hella fun, 7-7 is MY WORST NIGHTMARE EVER !
Captured everything before 7-7.
Way better than StB, it is more..."lively"
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
I like this game much much much much much more than StB. It's also easier I think.

EsotericaVirtue

Ayayayayayaya this game is hard!

Love the music though.