Author Topic: "Novelty Games"  (Read 8123 times)

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
"Novelty Games"
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:22:45 AM »
This is pretty much a term I came up with to describe the kind of game that, when released, is very well received and highly praised, but afterwards, starts to become rare on the market (to the point where you feel lucky to have even owned the game at all).

When I first used the term "novelty games", it was after I had previously owned the games The World Ends With You and Muramasa the Demon Blade. The former I sold and the latter I still own and play. After buying this, they were still on stock at the Gamestop I frequently visited for about a month if memory serves right. And these were games that were extremely hyped. I don't think I ever saw them in stock again. Another great title I still own that I consider to fit in this category is Knights in the Nightmare. Same deal; bought it, was still in stock for a while, then POOF!

So were there any games you guys owned that fit such a category? Do you still own them? Do you still play them? Talk about it!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
Re: "Novelty Games"
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:47:02 AM »
Hmm...  I'd say that this term fits pretty well with the game Gotcha Force.

I bought it years ago and I still occasionally play it when I have nothing else to do.

As for whether it was hyped up or not, I'm not entirely sure, though I do know that I haven't seen the game on any shelves at pawn shops or any other stores since.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:14:52 AM »
Literally Valkyrie Profile 1 for the PSX, not Valkyrie Profile : Lenneth.

I regret not selling my VP1 copy for moar monies! :C

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:12:19 AM »
I remember the Custom Robo series, one for the GC and one for the DS. I played the GC one, it was interesting and fun, but I never finished it. Nintendo should bring that back, or something similar to it. The Duel Masters PS2 game was also quite fun, as was the card game in general, though that's getting a reboot. There was also Monster Tale for the DS, it had a good premise, but the exploration aspects weren't that great and the game was pretty grindy if you wanted to get the best powerups (also, the bosses had way too much health). It's a shame, though, I liked the game's spritework and how it controlled.

B?t V?n Tử

• 天下第一妖怪 - Thi?n Hạ Đệ Nhất Y?u Qu?i
  • 謀事在人, 成事在天 - Mưu sự tại nh?n, th?nh sự tại thi?n
    • [LAME] - Final project in my HTML class - shamelessly stole from touhou wiki
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
The Devil May Cry 3 - Special Edition, there was time I want to buy for my cousin and they said the game was out of stock for few weeks, and that happened after the game had been released for a year. And yeah I still playing it on my still-breathing ps2, to be honest, imma go play right now lol

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »
First US prints of Disgaea 1 and SMT: Nocturne.  Atlus USA underprinted everything until P3FES.  Of course they're not as rare now that they have remakes and rereleases, but they still are pretty far from Mario or Madden.  When I picked up Disgaea used, there was a whole row of NIS grinders there, and I suspect they were sold back because of religious parents.  The Nocturne was picked up new on release day, because I was pretty sure I'd never see a copy otherwise.  I still have both of them, though I don't play them much nowadays.

Also holy shit Custom Robo.  My brother had that for a while and sold it to get money for Zelda: TP.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Yog-N'yggoth

• HERE COMES DAREDEVIL
  • The Main Character (Really!)
    • Blank
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »
Steambot Chronicles - This was a interesting gem from the PS2. The plot is a bit hard to explain, but the start beings with (surprise surprise), a main character with amnesia who winds up playing in a band with a couple mecha fights along the way. A interesting bit they've done with the character is the dialogue options. You could make him a selfish ass who's money-oriented, nice but cowardly, and other just with the various lines. And there's quite a lot to do in the game. There's of course, the whole playing a instrument (each one having a different mini-game), being a make-shift taxi, being a professional mecha arena fighter, and other random things to deter you off the main story.  As for customizing your titular vehicle, there are a ton of parts to make it suitable to whatever you'd like.

On the other hand, the game is pretty clunky, especially when it comes to the controls. There was going to be a sequel, but sadly, it doesn't seem like it'll come to light any time soon.

...Where's my game?

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
Einhander, unfortunately it wasn't mine, but I was the only one who still played it on occasion

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »
Einhander, unfortunately it wasn't mine, but I was the only one who still played it on occasion

Einhander was the shit, I remember playing that a lot when I was a lot younger and finding the post-apocalyptic-esque atmosphere really cool.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 10:54:08 AM »
Steambot Chronicles

I hear there was a a game that was a spiritual successor to both this, and Tail Concerto(An old PS1 game with a similar lift-and-throw mechanic).
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter. For DS.

But man, Steambot Chronicles. So much time logged on that thing making awesome mechs, crests, and just doing whatever.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 02:33:28 PM »
Is it really a "novelty game" if the game itself is good? That sounds more like games that are rare and valuable in spite of being bad :V

Anyway, I remember buying Odin Sphere then never being able to find it again at any stores.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »
I'm not really sure what qualifies as rare, but I guess some of my more notable games would be FF 4/6, Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and Tactics Ogre: LuCT.   I used to borrow Star Ocean 2 off a friend of mine for months at a time, but I've moved away since then and and I really regret not trying to buy it off him, since I've ever seen it for sale anywhere.  Then there's a few I have seen for sale that I regret not buying. That I can think of, there was Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, and FF5 (Super Famicom version).  I hope to find a Seiken Densetsu 3 cart for sale someday...  Such a ballin' game.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 10:51:05 PM »
Xenogears.

* The Man From P.U.R.V.I.S. collects thread trophy, kickflips out

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 07:13:40 AM »
I have a copy of the apparently hard-to-get Infinite Space for the DS, that's about my only claim to fame.

I imagine this thread will be instantly won by whomever claims to have a copy of Radiant Silvergun kicking around?

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 08:31:54 AM »
First US prints of Disgaea 1 and SMT: Nocturne.  Atlus USA underprinted everything until P3FES.  Of course they're not as rare now that they have remakes and rereleases, but they still are pretty far from Mario or Madden.
Pretty much this. Finding any SMT game older than Persona 3 is a pain and when I do find them at Gamestop they're like 40 bucks.

I managed to snag Digital Devil Saga at least.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 09:17:16 AM »
It's no Radiant Silvergun, but I have the Ikaruga for GC.
And... Knights in the Nightmare, Digital Devil Saga, The World Ends with You...
Uhh, I really don't know what else I could consider a novelty game by these standards. Hmm.

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
Xenogears.
I'm currently borrowing this from a co-worker.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 10:12:01 AM »
I've beaten Xenogears twice myself, the first time when I was much younger and couldn't understand the story, and then the second time when I could actually understand the trainwreck that was Xenogears PLOT. I still really like the game!

I guess I have a copy of the Japanese Pokemon Red game if that counts, since people are actually citing games that are good. :V

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 12:25:39 AM »
Earthbound?

I've never had too much trouble finding any of the above games I've owned or wanted.
All my NIS games I've found really cheap. Even Phantom Brave I found in prefect condition and with the soundtrack~
TWEWY was a pretty easy find too.

Xenosaga games are the only ones I've had decent trouble acquiring , but that only took going a bit out of my way in terms of finding Gamestops.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 12:14:39 AM »
I own Steambot Chronicles as well!  ...Sadly I kinda came out feeling underwhelmed, but
Spoiler:
being able to make up the main character's backstory like everything else about him and having it mean nothing
was such a wonderful break from cliche that I can forgive it.  Also, Bumpy Trot 2 (the sequel that was going to be on PS3) was officially announced as scrapped a while ago, so... yeah D:

Christ, what do I have that's rare though?  I do own a copy of Nocturne... I have a deluxe edition of Growlanser Generations, which nobody has ever heard of but you really need to play (Probably my favourite SRPG(s) of all time and I can't wait for IV's release on PSP next month)...

I probably have some really rare and sought after games that I don't even think of as that rare/valuable, actually, but I'd really have to comb through my collection.  I know The World Ends With You has been getting harder to get ahold of though due to the recent surge in TWEWY interest due to Kingdom Hearts 3D, but... hm.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »
Persona 4. Mushihimesama Futari if it counts. That's about it and it might not even be that rare. :fail:
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Zil

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 10:48:11 PM »
I dunno. I guess I have some games that could be considered hard to find, simply because nobody gives a crap about them. As far as games that are hard to find despite being well known, I can't say, since I'm not too savvy about any of that.

Well here's a list of some old stuff I used to play that may or may not be rare.

Rogue (the old dungeon crawling thing)
Cold Shadow
The Bombing Islands
Twisted Metal
Shadowgate Classic

Yeah, I don't know. :V

e: Oops, did I necro this thread?

Sanger Zonvolt

• Sword That Cleaves Evil
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »
Hmm...  I'd say that this term fits pretty well with the game Gotcha Force.

I bought it years ago and I still occasionally play it when I have nothing else to do.

As for whether it was hyped up or not, I'm not entirely sure, though I do know that I haven't seen the game on any shelves at pawn shops or any other stores since.
Gotcha Force is my favorite gamecube game, good times.

Waga Zankantou ni tatenu mono nashi!

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 05:29:13 AM »
These are some of the (somewhat) rare games that I have in my collection:

Shining Force 2
Phantasy Star IV
Xenogears
Kartia
Legend of Legaia
Dark Cloud 2
Shadow Hearts
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All

I used to rent games often back then, so I've played some other rare games like Tomba and Einhander that I regret not buying at the time...

Steambot Chronicles - This was a interesting gem from the PS2. The plot is a bit hard to explain, but the start beings with (surprise surprise), a main character with amnesia who winds up playing in a band with a couple mecha fights along the way. A interesting bit they've done with the character is the dialogue options. You could make him a selfish ass who's money-oriented, nice but cowardly, and other just with the various lines. And there's quite a lot to do in the game. There's of course, the whole playing a instrument (each one having a different mini-game), being a make-shift taxi, being a professional mecha arena fighter, and other random things to deter you off the main story.  As for customizing your titular vehicle, there are a ton of parts to make it suitable to whatever you'd like.

On the other hand, the game is pretty clunky, especially when it comes to the controls. There was going to be a sequel, but sadly, it doesn't seem like it'll come to light any time soon.
I'm actually playing that at the moment, it's pretty interesting. :3

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 05:49:58 PM »
Senko no Ronde?  Nobody?  Man, I should actually play that again.  It's the ultimate novelty game - barely getting any release in the US as WarTech: Senko no Ronde, it's basically a mix of slower-paced fighting game and some danmaku mechanics. 

Also nthing a billion times Steambot Chronicles.  It was fun as hell.  Especially the part about seducing the female leads, double especially the Hot Coffee reference that was the part of it. 

Dammit, now I gotta go play it again and get my swaqq on with the other ladies. 

Also HARMONICA HERO. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:18:11 PM by Meiling's Jocular Punster »

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 06:04:08 PM »
I still have both of my copies of Tomba! And Tomba! 2, which probably would be the most well-known of my collection. Some of my older games are ones that are impossible to find anymore, even at stores specializing in that sort of thing. The original Bionic Commando and Bomberman, the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt/Track and Field combo, and possibly a few others that I can't be bothered to dig up.
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »
Among others I have in my collection:
 - Toy Commander (DC)
 - Crazy Taxi (DC)
 - Shenmue (DC)
 - Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (PC; even came with a port of the 2600 game :V)
 - KOF 98 Ultimate Match (PS2, uncommon US version)
 - Parodius Collection (PSP)
 - ReVolt (PC)
 - Guilty Gear Judgement (JP PSP; had GGX2 /Slash while US and EU ones had #Reload)
 - NiGHTS Into Dreams (Saturn)
 - Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition (Saturn)
 - Sam & Max Hit the Road (DOS, CD version)

Used to also have a copy of Age of Empires complete with the CD OST (missing in rerelease versions such as Gold Edition); alas I lost it a long time ago :<
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Tao-Sensei

• Wants to be Icemilk.
  • What do you mean I can't be Icemilk?
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »
I'm PRETTY SURE I may have a copy of Shantae for the gameboy...

If I did, I can't seem to find it.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
I'm PRETTY SURE I may have a copy of Shantae for the gameboy...

If I did, I can't seem to find it.
GBC Shantae is coming to the 3DS' Virtual Console soon :V

Tao-Sensei

• Wants to be Icemilk.
  • What do you mean I can't be Icemilk?
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 09:24:23 PM »
GBC Shantae is coming to the 3DS' Virtual Console soon :V

GAAAAAH...

Oh well, it's still a rare GBC game. If I can find it I can still make money off it. Or keep it for keeps.