Author Topic: Touhou 15.5: 東方憑依華 (Eastern Blooms of Possession) ~ Antinomy of Common Flowers  (Read 519940 times)

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
ugh, i wish they would just announce the other playable character already.
You must be new.  ZUN and Tasofro pretty much don't release info on their games until a couple of days before release, and even so, they only release very little.

ZUN and Tasofro pretty much don't release info on their games until a couple of days before release, and even so, they only release very little.
Mokou and Sukuna were announced for ULiL almost month before the release of the full game.

I don't think there will be any other new character. With Doremy and the two bosses, the character select page is filled.
With the square between Reimu and Marisa confirmed to be empty, my guess is that the middle one of the last row is too.

Drake

It isn't empty, it's the random select.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

If thats the case we still got 3 fellas to go, 2 being the new bosses.

1 is confirm to be Sweet Dream though, so 2 is left

Edit: Oh wait, you already count her. 3 is left then
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:19:04 PM by andykhang »

PapilLionesskort

• "Perfectly Immoral Moral Person"
  • Pretty much just lurking innocently
We've no idea who to expect and what roles they play, though, so this might be unconventional. Maybe the midboss isn't Doremy, and we get a newcomer midboss, then a final boss duo, and another two veteran characters? If to obfuscate the roles, we have a potential midboss revealed, we'd have another four characters in addition to the double final boss. Or maybe for the sake of teams there will be even more people? although it seems like certain characters may act in separate story modes to prevent the need for extra characters. Judging by the profiles, it appears Byakuren has Ichirin as a familiar, and is a familiar to Miko.
Write or fight, same thing. You might as well come out swinging either way.<3 Just not too hard, as that's no fun.

The new character bios from the AoCF page have been translated and we get some pretty interesting info: https://pastebin.com/w3H7HVu1

Taoist-Minded and Animal-Loving Hermit
Kasen Ibaraki
"If we want to find out who spread this rumor,
our only option is to jump into the thick of things."
A meddlesome Taoist hermit who's loved by animals.
She quickly responds to the Perfect Possession incident and teams up with Reimu, but after realizing that the usual approach won't work, she starts the shrine maiden on some special training.
Kasen is confirmed to team up with Reimu.

Almighty Taoist who Works for the People
Toyosatomimi no Miko
"I have nothing against you personally,
but allow me to use you as a guinea pig."
A renowned figure and Taoist, who was brought back to life in the modern day.
To seek out the truth of the Perfect Possession incident, she joins hands with her business rival.
Her goal: solving the mystery of the "other Perfect Possession".
Her fighting style changes based on her Occult Special Move, which strengthens either her melee or her projectiles. The choice, however, rests in the opponent's hands; grant them whichever terror they desire.
Looks like Miko is teaming up with Byakuren.

PapilLionesskort

• "Perfectly Immoral Moral Person"
  • Pretty much just lurking innocently
An Byakuren herself;

Superhuman and Enlightened Mahācārya
Byakuren Hijiri
"You were possessed by an evil spirit just now!
You have to resist it, or you'll die!"
The head of the Myouren Temple, a Buddhist temple that accepts even youkai.
Regarding the incident as dangerous, she sets out to investigate the Perfect Possessions.
With the help of her subordinate, she tries to solve the question of just what the Possessions really are, but...

High-Firepower and Star-Loving Magician
Marisa Kirisame
"This whole Perfect Possession thing is
a heckuva lot easier than I thought, huh?"
A black-and-white magician who does diligent research in the Forest of Magic.
After discovering the Perfect Possession incident, she enjoys the possession battles with the help of her bizarre slave.
However, Marisa soon comes to realize that the Perfect Possession rumor has been spreading all too fast...
Her fighting style may be plain, but with her deep devotion to researching firepower and speed, she can run circles around any enemy.
Write or fight, same thing. You might as well come out swinging either way.<3 Just not too hard, as that's no fun.

While Miko's profile could also be talking about Reimu or Ichirin, Byakuren only has 1 subordinate in this game (unless the second new character is a UFO character). Kasen->Reimu, Byakuren->Ichirin. So I guess it confirms that there won't so much be set pairs who stay with each other across stories, but each individual will group with someone different.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:54:54 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
Never before in the history of this fantasy country did we ever have a strong taoist leader with such a close relationship with the leader of another religion but the dishonest tengu media - fake news by the way - won't tell you that. FIRE THEM!

I guess this kinda confirm that story mode teams shall be irregular. Kinda make me curious about who Futo's partner's gonna be though and how interested or involved her partner would be in following Miko's wiles.

Kinda make you curious about who this "bizarre partner" of Marisa is gonna be ... one of the newhus maybe ?!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:16:15 PM by Suspicious person »

Ichirin Kumoi
but she and her partner seem to have quarreled to no end over which of them has the authority of being the pair's master.
Mononobe no Futo
Her struggle with her partner over master's authority has reached a temporary truce

Sounds like Ichirin and Futo are teaming up as well.

Mamizou and Mokou also shares some partner descriptions.

Mamizou Futatsuiwa
with a partner whose interests align with hers.
Fujiwara no Mokou
she teams up with a partner with whom she has a mutual interest.

I predict that a lot of characters are going to go up a few notches on the asshole meter.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
The Byakuren, Miko, Ichirin and Futo thing makes me think maybe each character has a story mode and not a fixed partner. Like, in Ichirin's she partners up with Futo, in Byakuren's it's Ichirin and in Miko's is Byakuren. Reimu/Kasen is pretty much confirmed, but maybe they'll have two story modes like Reimu in ULiL.

Similar to other games on steam, what is the likelihood that Tasofro will release the game's OST on steam too? I figure I shouldn't have my hopes up, and if it were to happen, it wouldn't be a bundle on the first day since the OST usually come out sometime after the games.

It'd be nice to have an easier way to buy the music too.

The Byakuren, Miko, Ichirin and Futo thing makes me think maybe each character has a story mode and not a fixed partner. Like, in Ichirin's she partners up with Futo, in Byakuren's it's Ichirin and in Miko's is Byakuren. Reimu/Kasen is pretty much confirmed, but maybe they'll have two story modes like Reimu in ULiL.

Yes, that's my assumption as well. There's no reason the partners need to be symmetrical. Heck, there's no reason they even need to with one partner for the entire route. I can totally see someone like Koishi with a different partner for every stage.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
Similar to other games on steam, what is the likelihood that Tasofro will release the game's OST on steam too? I figure I shouldn't have my hopes up, and if it were to happen, it wouldn't be a bundle on the first day since the OST usually come out sometime after the games.

It'd be nice to have an easier way to buy the music too.
If that is the case, I just hope they don't screw up and release it in, say, CBR 128.

Yes, that's my assumption as well. There's no reason the partners need to be symmetrical. Heck, there's no reason they even need to with one partner for the entire route. I can totally see someone like Koishi with a different partner for every stage.

Look like Koishi IS going to have different partner for every stage. Her profile even said that she can possess anybody with this incident

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
Seems like a lot more work, and that'd mean they'd have this weird incoherent mix of some characters getting the same partner each route, and others being stuck with static partners (hi reimu and kasen), not to mention what a mess that would make the narrative, along with having to write dialogue scenarios for all of those different mixes. Keep in mind that each story route will need to have at least three (four if they go with both partners in both pairs getting to talk) separate characters talking to each-other, combined with all the other bells and whistles that story mode in soku fighters needs.

It's entirely possible they'll do it, of course, I just think it would be an utterly excessive amount of work.

Well, the game did get delayed a bunch

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
This might not make much sense but I did try comparing the gap between the first announcement and full game release date of three recent games, HM, ULiL and AoCF.

It takes 8 months but it was released unfinished. It takes extra 3 months to include Kokoro and 1 extra spell card for everyone else. I think Tasofro release a minor balance patch after another month but I'm not really sure. Anyway, HM takes around 10-11 months to complete. Make sense for it to take that long since HM starts everything from scratch.

ULiL takes 7 months to release, in a complete state to boot because it uses the same sprite as HM. However, tweaking UI, including characters' personal Urban Legend attack, new story modes, attacks, stages, and adding Mokou and Shinmyoumaru as new characters are definitely what takes up the 7 months.

Now, we come to AoCF, which somehow takes a year for it to be released despite using the same sprites/attacks from ULiL. From what I see, 5 new characters, stages and movesets added are the main things I figure would take the most time but other than that, I can't see why this game would take more development time than its predecessors and still run out of time for comiket. Here's my thoughts.

Story mode: Judging from ULiL, story mode spells will probably be the same, with 1 extra spell only for certain playable characters.
Dialogue in story and VS: If Tasofro, not ZUN, is the one typing the dialogue into the game, then this probably makes the most sense. With 19 playables, writing all that would be time-consuming. However, Soku did the same but it was finished in a month. (Of course, I'm sure that they start developing the game really early beforehand.)
Creating a really stable multiplayer network: Probably.

So, really, I have no idea why it takes a year for AoCF to develop, yet still not in time for comiket. Anyhow, I'm not a game developer so I could be missing something obvious.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:25:31 PM by Shadowlupus »

Judging from ULiL, story mode spells will probably be the same, with 1 extra spell only for certain playable characters.
What?

CyberAngel

• Retired
ZUN writes all text for fighting games. Always.

And if you think that more than 2 characters talking to each other would be hard to make then you REALLY should replay IN. Or SA.

Writing an additional character into a scene is no more or less work than having two characters talk. And changing partners each battle is no more or less work than keeping the same one. Now, it definitely would have been a lot less work if the partners shared a route entirely (ie: you picked them both at once as a team instead of each leader being accompanied by a certain partner), essentially halving the amount of writing necessary, but it doesn't seem like that was going to be the case anyway.

#JUNKO4TH15.5

• 見えない満月
  • [LoLK is best touhou]
any news about how the game will be released incomplete? i read somewhere that they're gonna patch it the day it comes out to add all the features in, is that true? if so, what's the point of releasing it incomplete if you're just going to patch it a couple hours later?
normal 1cc: every game, shitton of times
hard 1cc: legacy of lunatic kingdom
extra: flandre, ran, yukari, mokou, suwako, mamizou, hecatia, okina

any news about how the game will be released incomplete? i read somewhere that they're gonna patch it the day it comes out to add all the features in, is that true? if so, what's the point of releasing it incomplete if you're just going to patch it a couple hours later?
The game discs have to be burned a few days in advance.
Je pense, donc je suis.

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
Hmm, so I overestimated how much time writing dialogue would actually take. If that's the case, it is probably either the network code or bugtesting.

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
It's also highly important to note that Tasofro has to balance the whole character switching mechanic, especially since that's the whole point of the game. With how many possible character pairs there are, it can end up taking a lot of time.
Lunatic 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

Drake

The game discs have to be burned a few days in advance.
Rather, as said on the previous page, they've already submitted the master copy.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
Idunno if it'd stop ZUN+Tasofro but even if they make it fixed pairs and not 19 routes, that's still at least 10 routes that need to be written and made sense of in chronological order, unlike IN's 4 (slightly more because of the stage 6 split i suppose) and SA's 6. If they went with "every character getting a story route", that'd be 19 pairings, each of which needs dialogue factoring in twice as many actors per scene as the fighters before it, combined with AoCF itself having five more characters than ULiL (over a 30% increase in the roster size!). Certainly it's not outside of the realm of possibility for them to do, but to say it's not more work is silly, and if they go with fixed pairs I can't really blame them.

If they *do* have 19 story routes i'll be pleasantly surprised, I just don't think it's a good idea to get one's hopes up by downplaying how much more work that would be, given that giving each character their own route would be almost double the work, for narratives that themselves are already going to be dealing with twice as many actors as the fighting games have had in the past in any given scene. Especially not by making comparisons to SA or IN,  which even in the "least-work scenario" still had around half each the total pairings than aocf would have, combined with having only singular (that is, 2 on 1 instead of the 2 on 2 aocf will feature) bosses and a narrative that didn't have to wrestle with making the other five or three tie together chronologically.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:54:00 AM by nyttyn »