Author Topic: Touhou 15.5: 東方憑依華 (Eastern Blooms of Possession) ~ Antinomy of Common Flowers  (Read 519860 times)

Ellen has her own box on the generator... I wonder why.

It's probably because she wasn't created by ZUN.

From TouhouWiki:
Ellen is not ZUN's original character but a parody of one of the heroines of Hatarakimono (はたらきもの, lit. "Hard Worker"), a manga by Izumi Takemoto, full name Ellen Fuwafuwaatama (fluffy-head) Aureus (エレン・ふわふわ頭・オーレウス).
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Speaking of Mima and the other PC98 characters, for this release the biggest candidate to come back wouldn't be Mima - it'd have to be Gengetsu and Mugetsu.

In addition to the obvious fact that the Dream World will presumably play a large part in 15.5's plot, and the fact that they're two characters who come pre-grouped together, they seem to be the perfect thematic fit for the game. They could exist either as the perpetrators of the incident and final bosses, or (like Yuuka in PoFV or Alice in PCB) bystanders who were roped in or joined the incident of their own accord. Even bringing back both of them isn't necessary, as ZUN could easily group Gengetsu by herself alongside someone like Doremy or Hecatia. Mugetsu could get in this way too, but she's far less likely to get in without her sister.

The only other circumstantial help that this idea has is the quote "The Strongest Two Have Joined Forces!," since ZUN once called Gengetsu "the most terrible, most fearful boss" in some music comments back when LLS was released - though this helps the idea that Gengetsu could be grouped with someone like Hecatia most, rather than Mugetsu coming  back too. As far as evidence goes it's not very strong at all, but it's better than most PC-98 characters.

I'm still skeptical of the prospects of any PC-98 character coming back, though, much less in a game made by Tasofro.

ZUN once called Gengetsu "the most terrible, most fearful boss" in some music comments back when LLS was released
Look up her timeout spell if you want a possible explanation of why that is. It's physically impossible to dodge at the standard frame rate.

The only other circumstantial help that this idea has is the quote "The Strongest Two Have Joined Forces!,"

If you ask me, I would say that Cirno (The Strongest) and Daiyousei (I prefer, literal jap. Great Fairy) perfectly fit this description ~

I definitely root for the 2 new moon rabbits duo  :]

Honestly, the one thing I want the most about this game isn't the addition of a specific character, but something universal. You know how in the PS4 version of ULiL, at the end of Aracde Mode, if you're playing in Overdrive dificulty, you fight an EX version of Sumireko or Mokou? I want every single playable character to have forms like that and I want them usable by players. Also, I want a mode similar to BlazBlue's Unlimited Mars were all your foes are in their EX-Modes.

You know how in the PS4 version of ULiL, at the end of Aracde Mode, if you're playing in Overdrive dificulty, you fight an EX version of Sumireko or Mokou? I want every single playable character to have forms like that and I want them usable by players.

Far as I know, the only differences between an EX character and a non-EX character in a Touhou fighting game are the AI-spell cards that would make no sense for a player to control...

Far as I know, the only differences between an EX character and a non-EX character in a Touhou fighting game are the AI-spell cards that would make no sense for a player to control...

I was talking about Arcade Mode, not Story Mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQ_TJgpM30
This video should show you exactly what I'm talking about (skip to 22:00 for Mokou and 50:12 for Sumireko). In Arcade Mode, you fight ten different opponents in one round matches before fighting either Mokou or Sumireko in a best-two-out-of-three match at the end. In the four standard difficulties they're no different than normal, but in Overdrive they get powered up, not unlike Gold Characters from Guilty Gear XX and its updates or Unlimited Characters from BlazBlue.

Onion

• Classic era Marisa-like entity
  • Failing at Touhou since 2000-something
IMO, having Mokou in a fighting game makes no sense since she can fight for as long as she wants- she's immortal, remember? So, at this point, I don't really see any bars on characters coming forth. Even Flandre. She could have learned to control herself, and only "kyuu" as a final spell. Or, Rinnosuke could step forth, simply because ZUN wanted to freak us out. And that argument for Gengetsu seems sound. So, since anybody could join, we can all bunker down and hope against all the signs that Sakuya will come back.

What? Mima?!? Ain't happenin'. Probably. Maybe.

Watch it be, like, Genji.
Please wait warmly. Girls are intentionally leaving this space blank.

Since everybody has these: 1CC PoDD ez, 1CC(?) EoSD ez, PD LoLK, something something HM ULiL

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
IMO, having Mokou in a fighting game makes no sense since she can fight for as long as she wants- she's immortal, remember?
Keyword here being wants. Remember that she's immortal, not impervious. She does still feel pain and all that, so she will eventually go "fuck it, I give" when the pain gets too much for her.

Onion

Higan forbid she ever gets raged. Determined to beat the truth out of you, a squiggle and "Disabled" appears over her life bar...

Even though the moon and Eientei have absolutely no connections to this whatsoever, a Kaguya/Eirin duo seems rather impervious. Or, Kaguya/Mokou. If they deem something a greater threat, they do fight together. My source is... somewhere else... Erm...

I'm thinking about making a list of every character, then removing the ones that have been in fighting games, and those that couldn't be in fighting games due to physical reasons (I.E. LoLK came out after all the other fighting games) to try and find the characters that have no previous connection. Thoughts?

Since everybody has these: 1CC PoDD ez, 1CC(?) EoSD ez, PD LoLK, something something HM ULiL

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
IMO, having Mokou in a fighting game makes no sense since she can fight for as long as she wants- she's immortal, remember?
Technically, the same also applies to Cirno.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
Fairies get respawn timers though, so you can just ditch 'em while they're stuck waiting for it.

I presume its because shes bound by the Spell Card Rules like everyone else. It probably wouldn't be too fare fetched to presume that theres some sort of rule that states fighters have to give up fighting at a certain point, even if their still able to fight.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Drake

There explicitly is, written in the draft. You declare the number of spells ahead of time and then when you run out you lose, even if you have strength left.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

PapilLionesskort

• "Perfectly Immoral Moral Person"
  • Pretty much just lurking innocently
There seem to be cases where combatants don't respect certain aspects of the Rules, but yeah, Mokou will be limited either by her will to fight or the Rules, as I don't think she'd bother breaking 'em.  :)
Write or fight, same thing. You might as well come out swinging either way.<3 Just not too hard, as that's no fun.

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• look at dat pose, look at dat face
  • GARDORABLE!
From the manga i got impression whoever break the rules approved/established by the hakurei, gonna get their ass chased by everybody else.
something along the lines of "how dare you get ahead of us, friggin mothafocka" -> *gangbanging ensues*
that, and ofc the usual tyrannical judgmental retributionist of the hakurei
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:12:07 PM by MANoBadAssGar »

Onion

(Impossible Spell Card PTSD ensues)

Yo, is Ran in any of the fighting games? I was reading through Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, and came across this in Ran's entry:
The one who has enslaved this strongest of the beasts and uses her for various mundane tasks is the strongest youkai, Yukari Yakumo.
And the footnote:
Therefore, they're an unbeatable pair.
(Emphasis mine)
Seems to really fit Antinomy's description... Yukari was in Immaterial and Missing Power, though. Not the shaker-upper described. But Ran...

Drake

yeah except it's actually about those that mistakenly think they're the strongest two, so

PapilLionesskort

Ran is just a Spell Card for Yukari. After Yukari booted her out of the Extra stage she's been pretty much used as a weapon.
Write or fight, same thing. You might as well come out swinging either way.<3 Just not too hard, as that's no fun.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
Strange Creators vol. 3 got released today, and it also included some info on the new fighter. (From Touhou Network)
http://tohonetwork.doorblog.jp/archives/69388870.html

It is a tag team game.
The roster is set at 20 characters (including Reisen).
And some other stuff I will leave to the more experienced Japanese-language readers.

PK

• Border of Whatever
That's good news! And if google translate isn't lying there will be a new character, meaning we get 4 pre existing characters to show up and they are all Mima with various clothes on.

Giving it a shot:

* TH15.5 is a tag team battle game.
* Release schedule and plans are well established.
* Including Udonge, all characters from ULiL are back. 20-people class.
* Aside from new characters, we'll dig deep into the current characters.
* The 2-people 1-team system greatly affects the story.
* The keyword "obsession possession" is very important.
* ZUN says this time it's an aesthetic system.
(Obsession Possession means to deeply adore this world.
Does that mean that the story is addictively amazing?)
* More news to come before this year's Reitaisai.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:48:26 AM by Splashman »

Drake

It's "Possession", not obsession. The next bit is "ZUN is saying that the game is an aesthetic-type", as in, it would focus on aesthetics over other things.
The blog comment is then "Aesthetics are what that world [Gensokyo] is fascinated with. Will it be that the story is so amazing that it loses itself in that?"

ZUN using the term 耽美系 is kinda weird though because I'm pretty sure it colloquially also refers to BL content
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:23:58 AM by Drake »

PapilLionesskort

I knew it! I'm so glad everyone's coming back, and Reisen won't be PS4- exclusive forever. :]
I'm still very interested in seeing how this tag-team system will behave. Demo when

Drake

Possibly Reitaisai, given that it's said more information will be released before then.

PapilLionesskort

Thankies! So still within two months, then.  :ohdear:

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
So the roster size is 20. So that means five newcomers. And I am going to assume that two of them will be brand new characters.

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
So the roster size is 20. So that means five newcomers. And I am going to assume that two of them will be brand new characters.

One brand new character, actually. ZUN has said that including the ULiL playables, there will be other previous characters who have not appeared in IaMP, SWR and Soku making reappearances in AoCF. The newcomer will be the final boss, as per usual Touhou tradition.
Or two brand new characters if we have another duo as the final bosses.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

5 new character...Assuming the recent lunar's rabi duo and 2 new character, that would lead to 1 preexisting character...High chance it's going to be Kaguya since 1. ZUN does want her to be in one day and Mokou's already in 2. She's kinda fit for the aesthetic and 3. I suspect the moon part would lead her in. 

Edit: And speaking of, aesthetic mean that the gameplay's probably similar to Hopeless Masquerade, but couple more with the Occult Ball mechanic. That's probably mean, and fun IMO only, that "whoever suck their soul with beautiful play first, win."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:01:40 PM by andykhang »