Author Topic: Movies [+ reviews/criticisms etc]  (Read 20100 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Movies [+ reviews/criticisms etc]
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:01:04 PM »
There is a music topic, about playing music no doubt.

I think there should be a serious movie topic.

Simple, we discuss movies, and unlike before, I am hoping there can be serious discussions.
We can share reviews, fair criticisms, and so on. Would be nice, except until you troll this topic.

Now, on the summer blockbuster list, coming up is Terminator.

So far, on the hit list (not arranged in a particular order)
1. Wolverine X men Origins
2. Star Trek
3. Push
4. The Uninvited
5. Coming Soon
6. Mongol
7. Seven Pounds
8. Watchmen

these are the shows I have watched as of late, and they are all not rated by me yet, or arranged in a particular order of liking.

X men Origins Wolverine has received a lot of criticisms despite its rather big budget and decent showing for that matter. I wonder why? True, most of the characters might as well be borrowed straight from some distorted fanfiction at the marvel company's expense (like Deadpool, which turned from absolute badass to absolute kung fu whoosh whoosh character) the story I find, adds another angle to the original Wolverine Origins stories. I think the fact that it sells better offers a consolace for the heavy minded and the overall overcomplexed Marvel universe for him. (Including where he got tore up in two by Hulk in one said issue)

It is easy going, enjoyable, high octane action rolled into one with a rather convincing Origins tale. (despite no appearance by Patrick Stewart other than a cameo, shame)

Lest of all...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYSyvIbTAJA&feature=player_embedded

Sad sad...but almost half true. (if I am being critically critical)

Push:
Talks about a society hidden within a society, humans with ability of brain powers and telekinesis able to push people away and block bullets etc called "Pushers" hence title.

Brain powers wise includes predicting the future (and thus able to change it), and making illusions (like one guy who can turn sheets of plain paper into money or switch colors off his clothing and even looks), and one guy who can erase memories.

The story has good premises, playing on predicting the future and thus able to change it, a slightly grown up Dakota Fanning (who gets drunk on screen) is in it, + point to watch. She also plays a Watcher (predictor) and it is showdown of Death Note style wits as three sides, US Gov, Hong Kong Triads (with special powers), and a clueless survivor from the US Gov's erasure of Pushers fighting to gain a substance of supposed value

Bad points being that the show, despite its heavy premise, has many confusing points...like how Memory losing guy on a boat knows the Watchers, and what the substance of value actually does...Good action, expect rainbow colored fist attacks.

Star Trek:
Just watched a few days ago and is totally intrigued by it. Plot: Divided by Zero Oh SHI-

Vulcans are given a view of their society much like some of the series, and to see planets collapsing? That is awesome...weapons go overboard yet again, with zero explanation on what Red Matter is supposed to be being quite dissapointing consider this has never been the case with the series.  There are plenty to look forward to, like heavy emotional conflicts with just met Spock and Kirk, both somewhat towards the middle wanted to strangle each other.

Kirk plays his usual brash manners and took control of the crowd's expectations, turning 180 and 180 again onto the world of Star Trek, no wonder people like him, he is almost SHONEN like, brash and making decisions no one dares to make.

Starships and phasers firing expected, however not much but I am intrigued by the story alone. Would watch again later this week.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:17:41 PM by Ahoge Fairy »
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

♛ Apher-Forte

Re: Movies [+ reviews/criticisms etc]
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »
4. The Uninvited
5. Coming Soon
6. Mongol
7. Seven Pounds
8. Watchmen

The Uninvited:
Talks much about a story of a girl who is just released from a mental rehab after confronting shadows of her mother's death from a fire. Plot twist, and totally unexpected Bruce Willis ala Sixth Sense ending that left me gripping the seat and more. I smirked towards the end, and it was indeed well worth it.

I am rather surprised it was not JERI RYAN but Elizabeth Banks

I swear they both looked alike.
If you are not too busy staring at her boobs half exposed, I reckon you would agree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeri_Ryan

Coming Soon (Thai)
A Thailand horror movie, so you know just what to expect. Scary as shit, talks about a movie that is once watched, and stared upon by anyone during a particular scene, will be cursed, taken away by a ghost and murdered.

The plot unveils as our protagonist struggles to comes to terms with pirating the film for pirates that are threatening his life, and being chased by a ghost that is not too afraid of the crowd. The part where the ghost reveals its past is really transfixing, making this one of the foreign language films to watch out for definitely if you have the chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqOVL5LahTM
have fun getting piss in your undies.

Mongol (Mongolian/Russian)
Obviously a foreign film, featuring untold adventures of born conqueror Ghengis Khan on his great quest, stunning scenery, stunning fights, even more stunning storytelling well befitting of an award winning foreign film.

If you like LOTR, this is yours, with a twist of reality and boldness like never before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_(film)
http://www.mongolmovie.com/

Seven Pounds:
Will Smith returns with an emotional heavy role since Road to Happiness (or something like that) and it is well worth your money to watch, although it has dropped off the silver screens, it definitely deserve just praise.

The moments that really jerk your tears is plenty, the story so heavy you will leave the room or your after movie with your heart thinking of new possibilities to plan a path for your future. Truly one of the films significant among our times plagued with many troubles of society and such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Pounds

Watchmen:
Needless to say, this show is said to be gay. You all probably know I get aroused by the flaccid blue cock smack across the film and over it. The story wise? That is well worth it.

Probably the significantly most well adapted comic book story in a long time (I would say even better than Spiderman or Batman etc). Story goes in the form of Rorscharch's journal so it is plenty detail, with plenty of strong jottings. Expect heavy action, and heavy emotional content from heroes who are not quite, and yet are who they are. Makes for one of those story telling that grabs on the background stories of each one and piles up to one climax worth waiting for.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:23:46 PM by Ahoge Fairy »
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:16:41 PM »
I don't see a lot of movies but i've got some favorites. One of the best movies i have ever seen has to be Batman: The Dark Knight. Its good from start to finish and its filled with a lot of deep stuff. I just love it.

Aside from that there ain't much. I do enjoy watching movies based on real-life events.

Gpop

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:46:03 PM »
I DIDN'T GET A HARD ON DR. MANHATTAN OR HIS BLUE COCK! I'M PROUD TO SAY THAT I'M NOT GAY ENOUGH TO GET ONE!

Other than that Watchmen was an awesome movie.

I'm gonna go watch Terminator: Salvation in IMAX. Hopefully it'll be good.

Pedonymous

• Creepy As Hell
  • PM me for hot cyber action.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:06:24 AM »
I DIDN'T GET A HARD ON DR. MANHATTAN OR HIS BLUE COCK! I'M PROUD TO SAY THAT I'M NOT GAY ENOUGH TO GET ONE!

Okay, did they SERIOUSLY show his cock?

I haven't watched it yet so...

Gpop

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 12:13:36 AM »
Okay, did they SERIOUSLY show his cock?

I haven't watched it yet so...

Yes. Many times. He usually don't wear pants, and this movie isn't afraid of showing the blue member.

Now getting a hard from it is only something you'd expect for A-F.

Pedonymous

• Creepy As Hell
  • PM me for hot cyber action.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:20:16 AM »
Yes. Many times. He usually don't wear pants, and this movie isn't afraid of showing the blue member.

Now getting a hard from it is only something you'd expect for A-F.
Oh my GOD.

OH MI GAWD.

That, is very funny.

Contempt

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 02:32:09 AM »
One movie (technically mini television series) I LOVE the most is "The 10th Kingdom" by far. It is the embodiment of every story element I hold dear in a fantasy movie. Especially the way the story twist around and intertwines with other fairy tales in somewhat dark manners. The drama takes some unique turns adding to the overall story and not in a "luvvy dubby" way, at least in my opinion.

I highly recommend that if any of you can, get your hands on "The 10th Kingdom"

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:01:20 AM »
I don't see a lot of movies but i've got some favorites. One of the best movies i have ever seen has to be Batman: The Dark Knight. Its good from start to finish and its filled with a lot of deep stuff. I just love it.

Aside from that there ain't much. I do enjoy watching movies based on real-life events.

I think Dark Knight is really too dark for most cases. Despite all that, we lost one of the most prominent actors of all times, it is sad. Dark Knight has much going for it, the story is deep, over 3 hours long and the drama just keeps piling up and up until one crack forms, and whoosh, the intensity really begins.

I like how they place it in prospect to the term "Superheroes can save the day" into "He can take it, and take it, because he is a superhero" When society needs a shoulder to lean on, Batman can be there, but the film didn't neglect showing what choices, and sacrifices he has to make in order to break that path and find a new light.

The Joker really played one of the best characters, and anyone who says against that might as well commit suicide, for easily, how can you turn what used to be a simple "I kill cause it is funny" character into something so maddeningly rabid? To kill because he can, to enjoy life through killing? Such is the act of Heath Ledger that I suppose lead him to his state of mind.

Another Divided by zero oh shi- movie, John Connor in the future sent his father (whom is probably enlisted as his partner somewhere in the movie) to the past to impregnate the mom. I think in this movie, the most important bit would be to protect said daddy.

Touche, to think that the show will be like this, I sort of expected a high note ending, but WTF?
Also, here is hoping that BALE OUT (Revolucian's Remix) gets selected as one of the tracks for the movie. (Satire purposes) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48&feature=channel_page

One movie (technically mini television series) I LOVE the most is "The 10th Kingdom" by far. It is the embodiment of every story element I hold dear in a fantasy movie. Especially the way the story twist around and intertwines with other fairy tales in somewhat dark manners. The drama takes some unique turns adding to the overall story and not in a "luvvy dubby" way, at least in my opinion.

I highly recommend that if any of you can, get your hands on "The 10th Kingdom"

I am afraid I have no idea what this show is. As someone who watches and recommends it you should probably start by telling us what is the background to this story.

Contempt

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 04:49:40 AM »
I am afraid I have no idea what this show is. As someone who watches and recommends it you should probably start by telling us what is the background to this story.

Every one I mention it to has no idea what it is, so I don't blame you. But I will write a brief summary trying not to spoil it.

First the intro video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8YRfccBvuM

Two centuries after of the events of the Snow White tale, an evil queen breaks free from prison. She transforms the current prince in to a dog and sets out to reclaim her power. The prince escapes in to a magic mirror that leads to our reality New York city (The 10th Kingdom). Soon after a woman and her father become entangled in certain events that force them to leave New York. They must traverse this mystical world known as the Nine Kingdoms, while many bizarre events unfold onto them and their very lives are threatened at times. Will they reach Happily Ever After?

That's my summary, but I would read some more about it. I'm not too good at summarizing.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:40:08 AM »
Hmmm...I am not a fan of such world making fantasies it seems, I am not quite interested. Nonetheless, thank you for sharing Contempt.

Well, Star Trek prove to be one of those things I set next to Touhou in a manner of importance, more so because of high the entertainment value is. Are you a fan of starships? Are you a fan of distinct alien personalities? Do you hate Star Wars for its comical depiction of space faring?

If you answer yes to all, then Star Trek is meant for you.

Despite the lack of action in some of the series (seeing that they are often within the confinements of the ship) the stories are always compelling to the watcher. I can see that the movie was big budget and divide by zero storyline yet again ala Borg First Contact movie and V'ger with Star Trek Motion Picture, the whole premise is indeed however, powerful to the watcher.

Nero has zero or lack of personality typical badguy unlike the very distinctive personal potrayal of clone Shinzon of Captain Picard in Nemesis, his part is easily forgotten. However, the show really does direct attention to the brashness that led to the powerful impact of on screen young Kirk, whom is as cocky as he is in his later years despite gaining a beer belly.

The premise of leadership, the loopholes of management in numbers, the fear of true despair, all comes together into the movie to make some of the most memorable moment altogether. (including how sarcastic it seems for Spock to hide the name of Ulhura from Kirk...even when he is not being sarcastic or some other)

In essence, Star Trek 2009 records as one of the best Star Trek churn outs I ever seen. What they need simply is a Voyager movie...maybe after Janeway has returned to the Alpha Quadrant and adventures from there, or after she is promoted to Admiral for her incredible feat of destroying the Borg's hub of conquest.

The cast was also well noted, I say almost fitting to the original characters in the First Generation, of course, in the series being a bit old they are also more mellow, while in the movie they all seemed gritty. (such as Ulhura when demanding she be posted aboard the Enterprise) (Interesting as well, I had not known that Spock easily gives in to women...LOL)

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 03:37:53 AM »
I just got Netflix, and I've been educating myself on the classics.  Casablanca, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Falling Down, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and Schindler's List in the past week.

I've never been one for lengthy commentary, but a couple summers back I had plans to watch Pan's Labyrinth, Requiem for a Dream, American History X and Schindler's List on four consecutive days.  I only got to the first three and, for my mental well-being's sake, I'm glad I did.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 03:57:57 AM »
Glad you could join the club.

I personally think Schindler's List is one of the best films ever made. The story is more than just compelling, and the views of world war 2 accurately transcribed to film media like never before.

American History X gives me the chills still as Edward Norton's best ever role before Fight Club definitely, it is a shame he has to subscribe to films like Hulk that is more so a mental illness of a role (empty and hollow) character when he is great with the not so ordinary films.

Pan's Labyrinth is certainly one of those films I like, so far I have not been able to watch the whole thing, the spanish version here is just...well, not accurately translated.
It is a pain to watch.

If you like arthouse flicks, I suggest Gia.

It is one of those biography flicks that everyone should be educated on.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 04:37:50 AM »
...A bunch of people in my 2nd Semester High School English IV class kept thinking that I was like the main character in Schindler's List, but I haven't seen the movie. My mom's Netflix thing should remedy that, and I can find out whether I should be worried or not.

Also, I'll probably tank through the Terminator movies next week in preparation for the new one, which we plan on going to this weekend. I don't like to sit and watch movies very often, though.

Gpop

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »
Schindler's List was a great film. It was very compelling. I think I had a few girl's in my class who literally cried throughout the movie. I was depressed myself at the ending.

And this was in World Religions class while studying Judaism.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »
I watched Wanted yesterday (yeah, I wait for those to come to Sky many times). The comic was bloody brilliant but the adapted script was a real piece of crap. Masterfully done though. Morgan Freeman for the scientist (not quite but close enough), Agelina Jolie for Fox, the most awesome action scenes you'll see for a long long time (Seriously, mops the floor with the Matrix films). But still it's a masterfully crapped turd in the end. READ the comic. Watch the film KNOWING that stuff. You're in for some really shitty story that has 5% tops to do with the comic (okay, okay, maybe 10). If you're just looking for "FUCK YEAH!!!"s though, you'll probably be sorta satisfied.
rofl bye

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 03:55:11 AM »
I watched Wanted yesterday (yeah, I wait for those to come to Sky many times). The comic was bloody brilliant but the adapted script was a real piece of crap. Masterfully done though. Morgan Freeman for the scientist (not quite but close enough), Agelina Jolie for Fox, the most awesome action scenes you'll see for a long long time (Seriously, mops the floor with the Matrix films). But still it's a masterfully crapped turd in the end. READ the comic. Watch the film KNOWING that stuff. You're in for some really shitty story that has 5% tops to do with the comic (okay, okay, maybe 10). If you're just looking for "FUCK YEAH!!!"s though, you'll probably be sorta satisfied.

Sounds tite

Since last time I saw The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men and Full Metal Jacket.

Kubrick is Kubrick of course, and not even thousands of muffin-faced goons quoting the movie in forum signatures could ruin it, Full Metal Jacket is just that damn good.  Interestingly, during the instant
Spoiler:
the sniper was revealed to be a young girl
, all I could think was,
Spoiler:
holy shit, that's where that one Planetarian drama CD story came from.

Regarding the former two films, the Coen brothers are quite excellent.  I don't get reviewers who call No Country a dark comedy, though.  I do admit the scene with
Spoiler:
the random mariachis waking Moss up
was pretty good.

Looking forward to getting Chinatown from Netflix!

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 02:41:26 PM »
Terminator Salvation

- a continuation to the totally illogical franchise...
again. This time however, they changed the formula with an emotional robot addition, a very impressive piece. As much as I hate instigating the usual... so this guy saved his own father who is a teenage boy so that in the future he could fuck his mother and gave birth to him so that it will cause the war that will devastate the world which he must save his father from... you know the drill.
The action is convincing, and it is a no brainer... but then again, what is to say you cannot enjoy a good movie?

Most people simply think too much and a good show is ruined by simply doing that which is bad, if you really wanted to enjoy a good movie I often recommend watching it with an open mind and simply do not think of all the things that don't make sense.

After all, you didn't when you play Touhou (huf, girls that fly and shoot bullets in the sky and have tea parties right after with the same villians they shot down), sounds like a plot! Terminator salvation boasts the best action and acting crew and even a return of the Governator entirely naked on screen for the duration he was in during the time.

It is daunting however, to note the numbers, there are also new machines, and the new types that makes the whole movie really cool to watch. Hunter Killers, Man harvesters, mototerminators, and such. My only problem? The FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK was a bit too large when you quite simply have the T800 getting draped in molten metal and still no kill.

The rest? This is a good action movie, not seeing it is a bad idea.

Blackraptor

• Furniture
  • The guy with the thing over there at the place
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 01:28:43 PM »
I watched the new Transformers movie despite the warnings of the internet...I regretted by decision dearly. ;_;

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 06:19:31 PM »
I watched the new Transformers movie despite the warnings of the internet...I regretted by decision dearly. ;_;

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »

Lol TVTropes.

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 08:18:43 PM »
It was the only "it stinks" that I could find that wasn't on an image host blocked by work. 

I was into The Critic when it was first on the air, thank you very much. 

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 07:15:41 AM »
Serious bump:

Guys, seriously, go watch Paranormal Activity if you haven't already.

be ready to pee your pants.

I almost did.

Toasty

Re: Toast's amateur review
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
Serious bump:

I almost did.

Excactly what i did an hour ago. (no, not the pee...)

Except for a few "OH GOD WHAT WAS THAT I WASN"T EXPECTING IT"s, don't expect to get many sudden scares. Infact, you might think it borign at first. There's alot of buildup and storyline, and it happens to be shot in a documentary format ala blair witch, but don't think it's going to be too similar. The long buildups and waits make those few shockers scary enough to make grown men incontinent, like poor AF. Even if you were expecting it, going "3...2...1...and sudden scare" you'll still jump off your seat a bit. The acting? Pretty damn good, but a bit cheesy if you're the type to laugh at emotional scenes (although there's only a few really emotion ridden parts). Character developement? You'd swear these characters were real, possibly even your neighbors. Plot? Don't want to spoil it, but it's fantastic, once you get past the boring bits of nothing happening. The ending? ohoho......although the alternate ending isn't so good.

Now, the horror. As said, you won't be shaking the entire movie, unless you're a real scaredy cat. HOWEVER, granted you watch this at home, or if you leave the movie theater for home and the conditions are just right, the terror kicks in after the movie is finished. You will see bits of the film relating to your life, and in moments of "don't think about it....don't...", you will. Paranoia kicks in once you hit the sack, and oho, i reccomend watching this before you go to bed indeed, at the most 20 minutes before. Have fun sleeping - unless you're a hardcore rationalist who doesn't afraid of anything.

Altogether, best horror film i've seen.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 02:59:35 PM »
Serious bump:

I almost did.

This movie was funny. It wasn't that scary for me, but my cousin who loves horror films, and only watch those was REALLY afraid. And she saw almost every horror in existence, and she was going all about the "monster" not being seen and what is scary about that, then when we finished it, it became the only horror what made her scared.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »
You see, you people dunno the first thing that is appealing about this show.

you have to sit quietly, immerse into the feelings of these people, who could well be your neighbours, and only then can you actually go into the fear.

Things that go bump in the night not scary? It is when you have this fear that Toast described, that you begin to realize how scary this show really is.

You will go "OH FUCK"
and then pee your pants.

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 02:25:53 AM »
I've been wanting to goo see Paranormal activity but haven't yet. A couple of my friends went to see it (and didn't tell me until after. hurrrrr) and said it was pretty good.

Gpop

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 03:20:51 AM »
My friend told me that he watched it in theaters. He told me that people literally walked out of the theater halfway through the movie with their legs terribly shaking.

Too bad I'm not really into horror films though.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 09:42:28 AM »
Huh, really now?

As I recall, when this film first came out, most of my friends were excited to see this movie. The movie took place in San Diego, which is where I currently live, so I guess that's why everyone was so hyped-up about it. They thought that it would make the movie scarier to them. But after watching it, they described it as "pretty decent" and "average". Maybe they were expecting to be really scared from the movie. And perhaps from expecting too much, they felt a sense of "meh" or "that was it?" after watching it. I haven't seen it myself, but I guess I'll give it a try.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 02:04:13 PM »
Zombieland, Carriers are both pretty good, you guys should check that out too.

Zombieland because it is L4D the movie, and Carriers really give you a feel of how a zombie apocalypse paranoia feels like. None of the George A Romero bullshit