Author Topic: The Legend of Hieda II: Her Mother's Sword (Complete)  (Read 33155 times)

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
The Legend of Hieda II: Her Mother's Sword (Complete)
« on: February 08, 2013, 12:59:16 PM »

Aichi, picture by Stuffman

> It is a vision clear as the water of a mountain spring. A sword, its straight, two-edged blade five-and-a-quarter handspans long, three fingers wide, tapering to the tip. The blade is of a shining, iridescent metal unseen across Creation. Its guard is of polished oristeel, engraved with imagery of a faceless hero fighting a vast serpent. The handle is tightly wrapped with black silk, set with silver pins, each one finely patterned. The tassel at the end is of a beautiful scarlet thread, woven into a complicated charm pattern to repel evil and misfortune.
> You reach out to grab it for you know that it is yours to take, but are always too slow. It is the same today, as the first rays of the morning sun dispel the dream before you can grasp the sword.
> You are Aichi, one of the two only students of Youki Konpaku.
> You have overslept.
> It is not like you, but young girls are allowed some selfishness on a day as important as this. You certainly had trouble getting to sleep last night, as you talked and talked with your best friend about the future.
> Still, your Master only has so much patience.
> You rouse yourself from the simple straw bed and take a quick morning wash in the cool stream behind the hut. The crisp mountain air quickly takes away any hint of drowziness you might have had. Then you dress in loose training garb and rush to the clearing a few hundred steps up the path.
> Youmu is already waiting for you, sitting patiently on the ground. She gets up as you approach.
> "We still have time," she says. "One last one?"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:00:50 PM by Fightest »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
Re: The Legend of Hieda II: Her Mother's Sword
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »
> "Sure."
> How long have we been training under Youki?

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Fightest

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
> "Sure."
> How long have we been training under Youki?

> You have been under Youki's care and tutelage for as long as you can remember. You do not know your parents, nor your hometown.
> You grab a practice sword out of the rack and give it a few swings. It fits perfectly to your style.

> ...

> Was Aichi's style:
> Fast and loose, motion neverending, her sword winding like a snake, rapidly darting and biting?
> Paced and measured, a study in tactics and positioning, her motions ponderous at one moment, explosive in the other?
> Rough and cruel, its techniques designed to hurt and humiliate, the black sheep of sword styles?

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »
> Fast and loose

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
As amusing as it would be to have Aichi be a sadistic ojousama...

I'll go with > Paced and measured. Seems to fit a written format better.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 09:19:40 AM »
Excise all that is unnecessary. Carve away the impurities. Cut to the deepest truth. My enemies are numerous, but they must bow to me, or all is lost. The greater good. The ends over the means. Mistakes can later be corrected, but inaction will ruin us forever.
> It was Aichi, Koishi recalls, who bore a terrifying intensity. Perhaps it was unintentional, but there was something about that girl that made Koishi's alabaster skin crawl before she was even aware such an expression existed.
This what we have for descriptions of Aichi from previous chapter.

Fast and Loose seems like it'd be easier to RP, Paced and Measured seems like it'd really shine if one had swordsmanship experience.
Though I think a sword forged from Serpent scales would fit well in Fast and Loose style. Maybe the Rough and Cruel too.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 03:12:36 PM »
I think that, from the previous info we do have of her, Rough and Cruel would fit better than fast and loose.. It does draw attention to her straightforward and intense nature after all.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 05:01:24 PM »
Never even heard of this kid~

Rough and cruel it is.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 05:16:49 PM »
I think that, from the previous info we do have of her, Rough and Cruel would fit better than fast and loose.. It does draw attention to her straightforward and intense nature after all.
This what we have for descriptions of Aichi from previous chapter.

Fast and Loose seems like it'd be easier to RP, Paced and Measured seems like it'd really shine if one had swordsmanship experience.
Though I think a sword forged from Serpent scales would fit well in Fast and Loose style. Maybe the Rough and Cruel too.
> You guys make some good points, so I'll change my vote to Rough and Cruel.

Fightest

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »
> The wooden sword feels sturdy in your grip.
> Youki has never let you and Youmu spar with real weapons, so, despite your lifelong training with a proper sword, you are still more comfortable with the wooden one in a real fight.
> You shift your grip to fit both hands on the small handle and, as Youmu carefully swings to test distance
> smash your sword into hers with all the force you can muster.
> Of course, Youmu does not let go of her sword despite the strike being strong enough to scatter pine needles off the clearing, but her hands should be numb enough to slow down her parry.
> You use the opportunity to switch to a one-handed grip again and jab at her solar plexus.
> Youmu parries the blade with her left hand, grabs it and pulls you off-balance, simultaneously sweeping her sword at your feet.
> You readjust your footing and trap her blade between your foot and the ground.
> The two of you stand there for a bit, glaring at each other.
> "I'll let go when you do," says Youmu.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »
>Kick or stomp Youmu's sword hilt out of her grip with our free foot, while advancing and twisting our sword (with both hands) into Youmu.

Fightest

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
>Kick or stomp Youmu's sword hilt out of her grip with our free foot, while advancing and twisting our sword (with both hands) into Youmu.

> You pivot on your left foot, bringing your right to also stand on Youmu's sword, forcing her to either let go or be forced to the ground.
> Nonplussed, she lets go, sets both her hands on the length of your sword, does a simple push-and-twist and handily disarms you.
> You respond by kicking up Youmu's sword from the ground into your own hands.
> Unlike you, Youmu practices with a large, two-handed sword. It feels heavy and awkward in your hands. Similarly, yours will feel weightless and fragile in Youmu's. You are at an equal disadvantage.
> Looking awkward, Youmu adopts a copy of your usual stance - right side towards the foe, feet a shoulder-width apart, sword hand at waist level, sword tip pointing at the foe's chest.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 01:25:19 AM »
> Youmu will probably swing with too much power for our lighter sword. Try to sidestep so she throws herself off balance, and go for a body shot.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »
>What stances do we know?
>If none for the moment, adopt a defensive stance, sword held at the hilt and one at the middle, pointed 90 degrees away from both Aichi and Youmu. Attempt to counter by pushing away the lighter blade and pivoting the sword to stabbing position.

Fightest

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »
>What stances do we know?

> Whilst you and Youmu know a variety of stances for every situation, they are not the major power behind your swordplay
> That major power is the reason why you and Youmu have never practiced with real swords, for you have learned to fight not with strikes but with concepts.
> Youmu does not strike with speed, her strikes are speed itself. She knows how to cut through indecision, and she can skewer a man's cowardice with a single motion.
> You have mastered precision, and you know how to strike at the will to fight, and to sever one's creativity.
> And these are just the tip of the mountain. If you and Youmu were to go all-out, the potential collateral damage would be incalculable.

> Youmu will probably swing with too much power for our lighter sword. Try to sidestep so she throws herself off balance, and go for a body shot.

> Youmu realises as much. With a shrug, she tosses aside the sword, leaps at you and tackles you to the ground while you are still figuring out the longsword's weight.
> This is pretty much how every sparring session ends.
> The two of you roll on the ground, attempting entirely ineffectual holds, your laughter echoing around the clearing.
> At some point, you catch sight of Youki's sandaled feet.

Fightest's note: trying out a different combat mechanic.

Fightest

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 02:31:22 PM »
> You pan upwards to see Youki's mostly unamused face. His stern expression is marred by the hint of a smile. You unentangle yourself from Youmu and the two of you sit at attention before him.
> "A girl comes of age only once in her life," Youki says, "and I am very proud of the strong young lady that you have become, Aichi. It is only right that the task I bestow upon you is as important as this day."
> Youki pulls out a letter from his sleeve, sealed with Youki's crest - five cherry petals arranged in a radial pattern.
> "Take this letter to the Lady of House Saigyouji. It is an introductory note and proof of your identity - don't lose it!"
> Youki shakes his index finger at you for emphasis.
> "The Lady Saigyouji has promised to me to hand over to you an artifact that is rightfully yours by all accounts - your mother's sword. I regret not being able to give you the sword myself, my search for it took far longer than I had expected."
> Youki looks at Youmu. She nods back at him.
> "In exchange, Youmu has been contracted to serve the Lady Saigyouji as a bodyguard for a year and a day. This will be good training for you, Youmu, and I trust you to do both me and the Lady proud."
> Youki looks back at you.
> "Once you have received the sword, Aichi, you have the freedom to do as you wish. Your skill with the sword is unparalleled, your manner is proper, and your bearing is proud. There is nowhere on Creation that you cannot go."
> He smiles and puts a hand on your shoulder.
> "Although you would make an old man happy if you came to see him one last time before you set off on a grand adventure. Now, do you need to ask anything before you set off?"

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »
> Do we know who to get to our destination?
> If not, ask.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 10:32:47 PM »
> That major power is the reason why you and Youmu have never practiced with real swords, for you have learned to fight not with strikes but with concepts.

Fuckin' rad. I've always enjoyed this sort of samurai mysticism.

> "What's the Lady Saigyouji like?"

Fightest

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 10:10:44 AM »
> Do we know who to get to our destination?
> If not, ask.

> "I would not send you on a difficult journey on your first time down from the mountain," Youki says. "It is about two weeks' walk south along  the river. There are many towns and villages on the way, so you will never need for food or lodgings."

> "What's the Lady Saigyouji like?"

> "She struck me as a typical airheaded noble. Well-meaning, mind you, with a heart of gold. Just not the sharpest knife on the rack." Youki chuckles.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 03:22:34 PM »
Unless you guys have any other questions:

> Pack up and get going.

Fightest

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »
> Youki gives you and Youmu his blessing. You know he will probably have incense burning for good fortune for the entire day.
> Soon the two of you are well on your way, the early morning sun's rays occasionally breaking through the trees. It is a rarely-used mountain path that you are following, but you have no issue keeping your footing. You do not talk much - you and Youmu are as comfortable in each other's silence as you are in conversation, and it is better to use your focus to make sure you do not get lost so early on your journey.
> It is just past midday when you reach the foot of the mountain, and soon you find the road that follows the nearby river downstream. It is a picturesque walk as you start to leave the foothills into the plains, which stretch out around you for miles and miles. The sun shines brightly, and the air is fresh.
> ...
> A few hours pass. You have found a slower-flowing part of the river, perfect for a dip and a wash to freshen you up for the last leg of today's trip that will take you to the nearest village.
> The water surface sometimes sparkles as the sun glints off the scales of freshwater fish that swim to the surface to catch bugs. The fish pay you and Youmu no heed, and sometimes lazily circle around you.
> As if determined to spoil the day's peace, some unsavoury-looking individuals appear at the water's edge - a group of four or so hoodlums, three men and a woman, with assorted bladed and blunt weapons of distressingly poor quality.
> "Stay where you are, ladies," one of them says, his voice somewhat muffled by the rag covering his nose and mouth, "and there'll be no trouble."
> They are no doubt after your possessions that you have laid out on the shore.
> Youmu looks at you expectantly.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »
>Are we standing? If not, then stand up and fix them with a stare that should put some nice fear into them.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Fightest

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 05:28:31 PM »
>Are we standing? If not, then stand up and fix them with a stare that should put some nice fear into them.

> You're standing already, the river is about waist to chest deep, depending on how the silt has accumulated.
> That doesn't mean you can't level a stare at the bandits. They flinch back visibly.
> "Don't you get any funny ideas!" says the first one. He then turns to his gang.
> "Look through their things, take anything what looks valuable!"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 05:30:57 PM »
>What sort of weaponry do we have with us, or do we feel confident enough to take them on unarmed?
>While we're at it, intensify the stare to the point that they'll probably feel they're being stared down by death itself.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Fightest

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 11:45:42 PM »
>What sort of weaponry do we have with us, or do we feel confident enough to take them on unarmed?
>While we're at it, intensify the stare to the point that they'll probably feel they're being stared down by death itself.

> You're naked, but, against these clowns, anything within reach can be a weapon - a reed by the waterside, a branch bobbing in the stream, a fish that you can easily snatch out of the water.
> "Uh, boss, they don't seem too scared," says one of the bandits.
> "Shut up!" says the boss.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 11:53:42 PM »
>Let's crack our knuckles a few times. "I strongly suggest you take heed of your underling's words. I can't be held responsible for the consequences of any...Ah, 'stupidity' on your part."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 12:58:18 AM »
>Let's crack our knuckles a few times. "I strongly suggest you take heed of your underling's words. I can't be held responsible for the consequences of any...Ah, 'stupidity' on your part."

Not crass enough. We picked the Rough and Cruel style, let's make Aichi a yakuza.

"If you think I'm bluffing, come over here and I'll break you in half, you piece of trash."

Fightest

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 08:33:30 AM »
Be sure to state your intent clearly, guys. Aichi can as much send the bandits scattering as provoke them into a fight. Both are cool with me, but I need to know what you want.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
I think it's pretty much up to them. If they run away, it means they're cowards and they're nothing to worry about. If they attack, it means they're dangerous and they need to be punished (or killed).

Actually, forgive me for not reading the last installment, but to get me up to speed: are we in Gensokyo, or at least the land that becomes Gensokyo? Are spellcard rules in effect (not that they really matter in this situation...)? How do we feel about killing in general?

Fightest

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 12:55:52 AM »
I think it's pretty much up to them. If they run away, it means they're cowards and they're nothing to worry about. If they attack, it means they're dangerous and they need to be punished (or killed).

> Whether they run away or attack you is perhaps a question secondary to whether they will do so after rifling their greasy mitts through your belongings, which is exactly what one of them is about to do.
> "Not judging you, Aichi," says Youmu airily, "not judging you at all."

Actually, forgive me for not reading the last installment, but to get me up to speed: are we in Gensokyo, or at least the land that becomes Gensokyo? Are spellcard rules in effect (not that they really matter in this situation...)? How do we feel about killing in general?

Take everything at face value, I have been trying to avoid continuity bloat, and, as such, rules and conceits are introduced anew every time. Each installment of Legend of Hieda is its own independent entity. To answer your questions: yes, this land will eventually become Gensokyo, and this conceit is currently mostly used to allow familiar characters to exist in a much grander setting. Spellcards have never been heard of at the moment. The tone has mostly been high adventure and legendary deeds, so explicitly killing a dude is perhaps not entirely appropriate.

[edit] Please use a chevron (>) for command input to the parser. It is very important to separate parser voice from author voice in this story, as the parser does not always use the author's voice.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:00:00 AM by Fightest »