Author Topic: ZUN coming to the United States?!?  (Read 80350 times)

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
Re: ZUN coming to the United States?!?
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2013, 12:29:15 AM »
guys there are other sorts of gifts besides beer
how is he going to even transport all this supposed beer people are sending him
Well... He could just drink it all before heading back to Japan... HE IS ZUN after all XD

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2013, 01:17:20 AM »
In his liver

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2013, 01:50:33 AM »
If AWA's like Otakon they won't even allow beer as a official guest gift  :derp:

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2013, 01:51:31 AM »
Well... He could just drink it all before heading back to Japan... HE IS ZUN after all XD
Remember how Mizuki Hitoshi depicts himself as a bottomless pit? Remember what happened when he saw Americans eat? :V

Please don't break ZUN, guys. I want more games. :ohdear:

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2013, 02:50:33 AM »

Don't worry, some of us are aware that there is more to this sort of thing than alcohol. <_<
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2013, 04:02:07 AM »
I just see this as a really good opportunity to tie up loose ends in touhou knowledge... and I don't have to be there in order to find that out.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2013, 04:04:03 AM »
How many Mima questions will come up......

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2013, 04:04:59 AM »
I just see this as a really good opportunity to tie up loose ends in touhou knowledge... and I don't have to be there in order to find that out.
Oh snap, that's right. Time for all the questions about gaps in plots :derp:
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2013, 04:06:00 AM »
How many Mima questions will come up......

All of them.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2013, 04:26:34 AM »
All of the questions.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2013, 04:29:00 AM »
Don't worry, some of us are aware that there is more to this sort of thing than alcohol. <_<
I plan on drinking all of the beer myself. Basically I won't even remember seeing ZUN.

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2013, 06:11:53 AM »
dunno. is there enough touhou fans in atlanta to make ZUN feel welcome? lol. I know that Touhou does not have too much of a big fanbase in the US, especially in some parts of the US.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2013, 06:16:43 AM »
dunno. is there enough touhou fans in atlanta to make ZUN feel welcome? lol. I know that Touhou does not have too much of a big fanbase in the US, especially in some parts of the US.

firstly a bunch of people are probably going cross country to see this
secondly usa not having a touhou fanbase is a blatant lie.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »

I think 60+ touhous at Otakon dinner begs to differ. And that was maybe half of them. Yeah, it's not a lot, but that's just the touhou fans that *went to Otakon and cosplayed*.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2013, 08:34:35 AM »
I've seen plenty of Touhou fans at cons I've been to.  A good chunk of them show up only for the photoshoots, without cosplaying--the silent bunch, if you will.  But if they hear that ZUN himself will be making an appearance, they'll likely all flock to meet him in numbers that may surprise you.  And as SasAmra-san said, many people will be coming from all over for this occasion.  I myself will be flying there from my school here in Connecticut. :3 (at least I hope so)

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2013, 03:16:32 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF7Oa37b-VU

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »
At this point it would be pretty much a reiteration of what others have said but oh dear, brace yourself, because we're gonna have a huge crowd of touhou fans from all over the U.S. coming to Atlanta! Ohoho, let the pilgrimage begin! UK says 60+ at Otakon, now include the dozens and hundreds of other fans from other cons in the States (keep in mind I'm only talking about the people who actually cosplayed at these cons!) Let's not forget the "silent bunch" as AJS commented. They are that huge chunk of ice at the bottom of the iceberg, ya know.

Probably the head count at AWA will describe it all XD
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:19:56 PM by DeltaSierra4 »
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2013, 04:01:11 PM »
There is a good deal to be said about the subject of attendance (among other things). I actually have several ideas for a write-up that I think may be appropriate for this unique situation in the interest of molding mass expectations to be more realistic. That will come later tonight or some time this weekend, though. In the meantime, have a few ballpark figure facts.

- AWA is a Top 10 Attendance con in North America, slotting in at #8 in the US in 2012. There will be a respectable turnout in general, I'm sure.
- While I don't know AWA panel numbers, the AnimeBoston and Otakon Touhou panels routinely get several hundred people.
- There are a non-trivial number of people that go to cons strictly for the programming (EDIBLE). I would bet that there will be at least a handful of people that will attend ZUN programming because he's an interesting thing to see rather than because they know anything about Touhou. Maybe they want to learn more about it.
- There will probably be a lack of out-of-state student-age attendees since the con is at the end of September.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:03:38 PM by Kilgamayan »

Drake

« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2013, 10:20:16 PM »
I would bet that there will be at least a handful of people that will attend ZUN programming because he's an interesting thing to see rather than because they know anything about Touhou. Maybe they want to learn more about it.
Not only that, but ZUN is at the top of the page for the guests, and all of the other guests are either voice actor people who always end up at cons around the country, and anime industry guests. ZUN is the only real unique guest so far, and I'm sure the overall major hype surrounding ZUN is bound to get him even more attention from newcomers than you'd expect.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2013, 01:19:46 AM »
I hope someone has a copy of Changeability of Strange Dream handy so you can play his theme (Innocent Treasures) whenever he walks on stage for his panel or whatever.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2013, 01:46:49 AM »
I hope someone has a copy of Changeability of Strange Dream handy so you can play his theme (Innocent Treasures) whenever he walks on stage for his panel or whatever.
Precisely what I was thinking.  The occasion just screams for the need to play his theme. :V

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:05:30 AM by Murein »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2013, 04:46:55 AM »

This can be arranged.

Drake

« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2013, 04:50:30 AM »
arranged as in plans to play it not arranged as in an arrangement of the song

ha

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2013, 05:01:28 AM »

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2013, 05:06:53 AM »
I like how there's a creeper floating down the stairs with them.
Boomy is something of a mascot. Sort of?

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2013, 07:20:09 AM »
One of the bigger Touhou shoots I've been to was the one at Fanime like 3 years ago (we were supposed to have the shoot inside but there were too many people, yeah these pics aren't the MOST indicative of it all). There were also 2 different Touhou panels there which both attracted a lot of people. Though I dunno how many Touhou fans there might be around the west coast now/if people that far away would make the trek for ZUN, especially given that it is a con right at the start of the school year for most people.

Anyway point is: there are quite a few Touhous in every region in the US.

« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »
...possibly of a Western Touhou Community zerg rush and prevent a potential clusterfuck.

This is a real concern, great that it's noted, and I can't wait to see what the actual turnout is.

Also, the man may like his beer, but what's he to do with all that beer? (I mean besides drink his liver to failure)  :3c

arranged as in plans to play it not arranged as in an arrangement of the song

ha
Terrible puns. I approve.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2013, 07:35:19 AM »
There is a good deal to be said about the subject of attendance (among other things). I actually have several ideas for a write-up that I think may be appropriate for this unique situation in the interest of molding mass expectations to be more realistic. That will come later tonight or some time this weekend, though. In the meantime, have a few ballpark figure facts.

- AWA is a Top 10 Attendance con in North America, slotting in at #8 in the US in 2012. There will be a respectable turnout in general, I'm sure.
- While I don't know AWA panel numbers, the AnimeBoston and Otakon Touhou panels routinely get several hundred people.
- There are a non-trivial number of people that go to cons strictly for the programming (EDIBLE). I would bet that there will be at least a handful of people that will attend ZUN programming because he's an interesting thing to see rather than because they know anything about Touhou. Maybe they want to learn more about it.
- There will probably be a lack of out-of-state student-age attendees since the con is at the end of September.
Wait people actually go to these things?!

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2013, 11:56:14 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:22:17 PM by Evaunit01berserk »