Author Topic: ZUN coming to the United States?!?  (Read 79804 times)

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
Re: ZUN coming to the United States?!?
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 12:56:33 AM »
I am. beyond. jealous.

Pics and videos very much appreciated u_u

If everyone's gonna bring beer for ZUN, is he gonna finish everything or bring them all back to Japan I wonder

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 01:00:50 AM »
Microbrew sampling? Hell yes, that's a brilliant idea!
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 01:14:01 AM »
You do know the US is, like, right below Canada, right >_>

I mean, it maybe not actually be in CANADA, but you best your ass I'm getting my Massachusetts self down there.

Yeah, but I have school :(

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2013, 02:04:53 AM »
For those who do end up making it, give us pics please, and a video would be even better. :3

Pics and videos very much appreciated u_u

God and grad school willing, if I'm there, I'm on it.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2013, 02:16:52 AM »
Mint, we would like to coordinate with AWA a lot more closely. I do not believe if the staff knows what beast has been unleashed by doing this.
I don't think anyone needs to be coordinating with the AWA staff until we figure out what they have in store. I will get in touch with the directors and see where everything stands with them, and we will provide help only in the event that they ask for it. ZUN's visit to an American con is not an event that belongs to the community at large, so I want everyone to treat it with a certain level of respect until we know where things are in the grand scheme. For now, just focus on your arrangements for attending the con, as we would love to have you. The main Southeast community will conduct communications with AWA and report to the rest of the world, as it were. We're not trying to take over this; we are trying to minimize the possibly of a Western Touhou Community zerg rush and prevent a potential clusterfuck.

All we ask for is patience. We'll keep you posted.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2013, 02:34:45 AM »
But surely you must know how to do Carolina BBQ. Or do you have to be in the state itself for it to work? (My dad's second wife believed this about biscuits; that her biscuits sucked because she was making them in Yankee Maryland and not Good Ol' Tennessee.)
No, their BBQ is some ghastly mustard-base concoction with a different cut of the hog entirely. To make good Carolina BBQ you pretty much have to be an old man from this area.

Everyone needs to bring a few growlers from your local breweries for this con. Let's inundate him with great American beer an show that it's not all Budweiser swill.

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2013, 02:37:52 AM »
I'm calling this now, ZUN is going to get enough beer as gifts that he won't be able to leave the country without paying thousands in customs or giving some back because even he won't be able to drink it all that weekend.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2013, 02:44:09 AM »
Everyone needs to bring a few growlers from your local breweries for this con. Let's inundate him with great American beer an show that it's not all Budweiser swill.
Aaaaaaa I don't know any around here, help me out fellow local :V

we are trying to minimize the possibly of a Western Touhou Community zerg rush and prevent a potential clusterfuck.
Good to hear. Had some fear that this could happen when I first heard the news.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2013, 03:26:30 AM »
I don't think anyone needs to be coordinating with the AWA staff until we figure out what they have in store. I will get in touch with the directors and see where everything stands with them, and we will provide help only in the event that they ask for it. ZUN's visit to an American con is not an event that belongs to the community at large, so I want everyone to treat it with a certain level of respect until we know where things are in the grand scheme. For now, just focus on your arrangements for attending the con, as we would love to have you. The main Southeast community will conduct communications with AWA and report to the rest of the world, as it were. We're not trying to take over this; we are trying to minimize the possibly of a Western Touhou Community zerg rush and prevent a potential clusterfuck.

Drunk Aya isn't talking community per se, he's talking east coast convention staffs, like Nekocon, Katsucon, etc.

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2013, 04:39:49 AM »
I'm not too sure that I would go to this as there's a few cons and concerts I was trying to raise fund for already, and also (surprise surprise) I'm not really that big of a Touhou. If I somehow obtain enough extra cash, I'd head down with Jana though.

Anyway you guys should stop freaking out about things like it ever being possible for a guest at a con to not speak English and not have an interpreter. Cons provide that stuff people.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 06:44:17 AM »
Now this in an interesting development. How big is AWA by the way that ZUN agreed (or seem to agree) on being a guest at this con/event? Quite interesting.

Imagine if we had teleportation to go to places, travel time? what is that.

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2013, 08:35:33 AM »
Looks like everyone is changing their plans like mad to get to AWA from this part of the State as well... I thought about dropping Youma but scratch that I'm still going to keep them all (AUSA, Youma, etc.)

Pretty much decided on driving there. Screw the travel time :V

EDIT: As for my items to get signed... one and only one item: SoPM, hopefully on the page for Sanae.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:38:51 AM by DeltaSierra4 »
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »
I think driving is for me out of the question.

Unless my car is amphibious, it isn't going to happen. I think I'll send my regards from THE NETHERLANDS.

GuardianTempest

• Adorably Awkward Android
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2013, 09:59:27 AM »
I'm just afraid that we'll screw this up and he'll leave with a bitter taste in his mouth, possibly disliking us.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »
I'm just afraid that we'll screw this up and he'll leave with a bitter taste in his mouth, possibly disliking us.
I doubt that. As long as the organisation is well done and the guests are treated like guests as any invited guest should be, don't see an issue.

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »
please state under that you either are part of the conmeido company or if unable to do that, please put that you're part of the conmeido group.

I call chief information officer of Conmeido Company, our motto: "All the no-frills frills that America needs"

I kinda like the microbrew sampling idea.  There's a couple of Jersey breweries that make great stuff.  As much as I'd like to give the man some brew to take home, the logistical issues could be a burden on ZUN.

Why don't we book a meeting room in the con hotel for this little private shindig?  Best-case, we have a nice big beer tasting with ZUN.  Worst-case, we have a nice big beer tasting.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2013, 03:22:47 PM »
I just wanted to drink a lot of different beers. Does this "zun" guy like beer too?

There's something important to keep in mind here that most people seem to be forgetting: ZUN is an official guest of the con, not our personal guest. As such we're not going to have unrestricted access to him to do whatever we want.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:01:48 PM by Kilgamayan »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »
I've actually been wondering about that, since I've heard differing stories about how different cons treat guests. I'm sure they'll want him to host a panel or two, as well as probably hold an autograph signing, but beyond that, what will AWA* really need him for? I know there are some cons where guests are allowed to just be con attendees when they're not on the con clock - is AWA like that?

*Obviously ZUN is going to want some time to himself as well - this is strictly about what AWA will be expecting of him.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Daya

• Not sure if part of the 1 percent
  • 150 Proof, 75% alcohol by vol, Minimum BAC 0.11
    • The Bunbunmaru Shimbun
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2013, 04:14:20 PM »

Thank you. I will PM you on something though so that you would be aware of what happened.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2013, 04:40:27 PM »
Yeah, that's an important word that I left out. Thanks Kilga.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2013, 05:06:30 PM »
I've actually been wondering about that, since I've heard differing stories about how different cons treat guests. I'm sure they'll want him to host a panel or two, as well as probably hold an autograph signing, but beyond that, what will AWA* really need him for? I know there are some cons where guests are allowed to just be con attendees when they're not on the con clock - is AWA like that?

*Obviously ZUN is going to want some time to himself as well - this is strictly about what AWA will be expecting of him.
I will find out and get back to you guys.

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »
Does this "zun" guy like beer too?
lol his picture on the awa website answers it all XD

I second Hele's comment here. As long as AWA pulls it off nicely, he might feel like returning to another U.S. con.

@Hele: Since there's no underwater tunnel that connects the Netherlands to Georgia, I guess it's time for a boat cruise from Amsterdam to Atlanta XD
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »
Yeah, that's an important word that I left out. Thanks Kilga.

It helped that I subconsciously inserted the word while reading and had to look again to notice that it was missing. I suspect I'm not the only one that did that, so it's no big deal.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2013, 05:33:30 PM »
I'm calling this now, ZUN is going to get enough beer as gifts that he won't be able to leave the country without paying thousands in customs or giving some back because even he won't be able to drink it all that weekend.
He didn't have that problem when he visited Europe and I've heard it said that german beer is supposedly somehow special.
I've never heard anything of the kind about american beer.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2013, 05:40:07 PM »
I don't think I can bring Chicago beer with me if I take the plane, but I might be able to if I take the Amtrak...

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2013, 08:16:40 PM »
I don't think I can bring Chicago beer with me if I take the plane, but I might be able to if I take the Amtrak...
I could do it for you: I plan to take the 12 hr trek from Chicago to Atlanta via car :V

EDIT: Oh crap I still haven't made a decision of what kind of beer to bring to AWA... suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:38:30 PM by DeltaSierra4 »

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »
I heard about this yesterday and entered instant jealousy mode. I'm so far away from Atlanta~

Oh well. I'll just look at lots of videos/pictures/news/etc on it, I guess~

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
ZUN's visit to an American con is not an event that belongs to the community at large, so I want everyone to treat it with a certain level of respect until we know where things are in the grand scheme.

There's something important to keep in mind here that most people seem to be forgetting: ZUN is an official guest of the con, not our personal guest. As such we're not going to have unrestricted access to him to do whatever we want.

Especially as this being his first visit. I get the significance of the event to the fans; the bridge gapped in the other direction. Access to his physical person isn't something I'd expect. The important thing here is, he'll get a better look at the WTC with his own eyes. I think that in itself is sufficient.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »
Time to pick at the international bank of my Mother! xD I HIGHLY DOUBT she'll let me go :c. OHWELL!  Send my regards from Minnesota P:

Drake

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2013, 12:13:40 AM »
guys there are other sorts of gifts besides beer
how is he going to even transport all this supposed beer people are sending him

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -