Author Topic: General Magic: the Gathering Discussion BIG Rules Update  (Read 32779 times)

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
Prerelease weekend! If you're a Magic player and haven't played in a while these are always the best way to get back into it, or just have a fun weekend playing. These RTR prereleases have been the best with the guild thing, much better than the Helvault promotion IMO. I be looking to pick up some Sire of Insanitys and Master of Cruelties. Ral Zarak will be cheaper in the future I believe, I'll grab those later.
Zirene, want another deck to play with? This one was the Blue Green starter from Dark Ascension.

The price for everything is higher than I'd like, but I have a lot of the stuff already. Italicized stuff is stuff I don't have.
I'd love to! Chronic Flooding turbo mill myself is a really fun strategy. I'm going to use try to use the "fill the graveyard" theme to the fullest. Boneyard Worm feels like Tarmogoyf when the deck is really churning. I remember a bad beats story involving Artful Dodge and Ghoultree from a prerelease, games 1 and 2 to take the match. That's a nice 2 card kill.

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
Re: Magic: the Gathering Online and General Magic Discussion
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2013, 05:56:38 AM »
HI HELLO. I have some random cards basically from cards my friends didn't want, and I've meaning to try to see what I can come up with from them, but I haven't had the time.

Perhaps if I have the time I can post the list of everything and you guys can give me some advice? I dunno what the heck I'm doing so... It's 3 boxes of set decks and some random stuff I believe, so there should be enough bases to build off of.

I'm sure if I went to the game store they'd help me out cuz when my roommate went and mentioned she was just starting they gave her free cards and a box but... I can't get there without hitching a ride anyway bluh. Plus I'm busy tomorrow night so I can't just go creepily watch my friends at Friday Night Magic...

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
Is it mostly old or new stuff? Hopefully newer, Magic wasn't a very beginner friendly game 13 year ago when I started played. If you want post what you have I'll see what can be made from it, but typing out your whole collection might take a while. Unless you just started playing then maybe that's possible.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2013, 06:02:59 PM »
Okay I have 2 copies of Sphinx's Revelation.

It's time to be land screwed or flooded every game at FNM tonight.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2013, 08:35:54 PM »
Is it just me or does Ral Zarek look like he is rubbing his nipples? I really can't see what else he could be doing, holding on to some straps like if you had a back pack on maybe.
Okay I have 2 copies of Sphinx's Revelation.

It's time to be land screwed or flooded every game at FNM tonight.
Rev makes land floods good, especially with win condition lands!
The first time you Rev into another Rev it feels so good. If you're not immediately dead you've pretty much won (except other Esper decks).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:41:09 PM by Zirene »

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2013, 04:48:52 AM »
Okay I went 2 and 3 at FNM but it was more from my poor play and not much from mana screw. I managed to pick up a pair of shocks from trading my Angel of Serenity so as a whole I think my deck is much stronger now. I also changed my sideboard a little off of some suggestions I got elsewhere.

3 Nephalia Drownyard
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Obzedat, Ghost Council
3 Augur of Bolas
4 Snapcaster Mage
3 Restoration Angel
4 Think Twice
2 Tragic Slip
4 Azorius Charm
4 Supreme Verdict
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Drowned Catacomb
3 Godless Shrine
1 Swamp
1 Island
2 Plains
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Watery Grave
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Detention Sphere
1 Murder
1 Terminus
1 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
2 Sphinx's Revelation
1 Dissipate
SB: 1 Witchbane Orb
SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 2 Terminus
SB: 1 Detention Sphere
SB: 2 Duress
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 2 Dispel
SB: 1 Evil Twin
SB: 1 Oblivion Ring
SB: 1 Psychic Spiral

I can't wait to get some use out of Evil Twin as for Esper Mirror I am not worried about that at all in my local meta because I am like the only one I have seen playing Esper control at my lgs.

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2013, 04:12:33 AM »
Is it mostly old or new stuff? Hopefully newer, Magic wasn't a very beginner friendly game 13 year ago when I started played. If you want post what you have I'll see what can be made from it, but typing out your whole collection might take a while. Unless you just started playing then maybe that's possible.
I have no idea?
One box says copyright 2005 and the others say 2006. That's all I got.
I don't mind just making a long list, but it wouldn't be till like a week or so probably haha

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2013, 07:33:53 PM »
Welp I got my playmat now...

So does anyone else have any cards in DGM that caught their eyes? Aside from Ral Zarek i'm eying AEtherling and Far // Away

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
As awesome as real is, arent there supposed to be 2 planes walkers per set? I was hoping I would se Kiora atua.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »
As awesome as real is, arent there supposed to be 2 planes walkers per set? I was hoping I would se Kiora atua.
The general rule is 5 per block.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »
Dragon's Maze is the biggest EDH/Commander set I've ever seen. I don't play those formats much, but I'm glad there is a lot of cards for those EDH players. The art on the gates, how it's panned back more for DGM art and reveals the underbelly of the guild is so cool. Some people think adding the guildgates in lieu of a basic land (or maybe a shock land!) was an after thought to make RGD drafting have enough mana fixing. The Cluestones may have been a late addition. I think it's pretty obvious they've planned the gates. Even the secret code in the gate's flavor text points to that, which was also really cool.

Voice of Resurgence... wow.  They really pushed the power level on this one. Sure Pillar of Flame takes care of him nicely but once that's gone, I think he could be a real powerhouse. I think he will see play in basically any GW deck that isn't a control deck. Prime Speaker Bant probably doesn't want this for example. It's possible this guy and Advent of the Wurm could get a tokens strategy going.

Notion Thief is going to make the Esper Mirror interesting. I'm not really sure what is the best number to play or the best way to deal with him in addition to casting a Rev, but stealing a big chunk of cards on top of a 3/1 Flash seems really strong.

Sire of Insanity feels like just that, insane. If you're ahead on board, you plop this guy down and they don't kill it, gg except top decks. I've been play this aggressive Jund deck for a few weeks now and this guy seems perfect as a curve topper, he might be too expensive though. However, if I power him out with Gyre Sage, it seems almost oppressive for control decks.  It seems too expensive for the main deck and Thundermaw Hellkite is my curve topper right now, both cards are good when the opponent has no instant removal, the Hellkite usually ends the game though. Probably a 1-2 of in the sideboard for now. I'll post my list at the end of this post.

Sin Collector looks very good. 2/1 Duress on a stick is already probably playable but it's a Human and it removes the instant or sorcery, both very relevant for this Standard format. His cost is also lets him come down before most Wrath effects. I think a few copies of this guy slides right into The Aristocrats deck, main or sideboard i'm not sure.

Ascended Lawmage (3/2 Flying Hexproof) might make a splash in some kind of Bant Hexproof Auras deck, but I really hope not as that deck isn't fun to play or play against IMO. Speaking of auras, I think Runner's Bane could be a niche removal option for blue down the road, deals with Boros Reckoner quite nicely.

I feel like there is a home for Lavinia of the Tenth in some kind of aggressive deck as a Falter of sorts, the fact that its ETB ability hits planeswalkers could be relevant to this strategy too. There were UW human decks pre RTR maybe this guy could breath some life into the archtype.  If you can cast this guy against red you probably win, but there are far better 5 and 4 drops to be casting against red right now.

Overall I like the set, not as much as RTR but more than GTC. I also think this falls in the middle on power level, with RTR being the most powerful of the 3 sets in the block. Time will tell on this one but I love multicolored cards, I loved Invasion block and the original Ravnica so what's not to love here!

Creatures 30
4 Arbor Elf
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Flinthoof Boar
4 Gyre Sage
3 Borderland Ranger
4 Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
3 Thundermaw Hellkite

Non Creature Spells 7
1 Dreadbore
2 Mizzum Mortars
2 Domri Rade
2 Bonfire of the Damned

Land 23
4 Forest
1 Mountain
1 Swamp
4 Stomping Ground
3 Rootbound Crag
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Blood Crypt
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Kessig Wolf Run

Sideboard
3 Pillar of Flame (an early nod to Voice of Resurgence)
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Garruk Relentless
2 Golgari Charm (These are so sweet)
1 Zealous Conscripts
2 Thragtusk
2 Ground Seal
1 Sire of Insanity
1 Rakdos Return

If I had to register for an unknown meta this is what I would register. I really like how much mana this deck makes with creatures that are still good in combat. Gyre Sage and Borderland Ranger make sure you can cast your spells. I tried 3 Dreg Mangler over Borderlands but this deck really needs to get to 5-6 mana on time to cast dragon's and overload mortars.

The reason for so many 1 and 2 ofs in the sideboard is unknown meta and it's tough to take much out and still be aggressive.

It was 4 Bonfire but Blood Baron of Vizkopa shuts me down so it's 2 Mizzium Mortars 2 Bonfire for now. I don't think Blood Baron is that good but the few games I tested against it, it was beating if I can't kill after 1 swing. Only the 7 fliers or a big Gyre Sage can rumble with him, but again I think Obzedat is so much better that I don't know why you'd play this guy unless it's a mana issue.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:30:38 PM by Zirene »

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2013, 08:24:06 AM »
The Commander player in me is screaming out to get a fat pack once I have the money; I have so many ideas I want to throw around!

Speaking of Commander, with the fact they released the 'Commander Arsenal' last year, and all these Commander-esque cards in the whole Ravinca block, I'm sort of hoping they'll announce new Commander decks at some point. They have made reference to them every so often, so surely it's only a matter of time. Plus, it would make sense with all of these, well, ridiculous releases; as far as certain cards go. XD

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2013, 12:48:56 AM »
someone at school told me there was a one mana instant poison card out there. anyone recall the name of the card? would go pretty well with my isocron scepter deck

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2013, 01:51:05 AM »
someone at school told me there was a one mana instant poison card out there. anyone recall the name of the card? would go pretty well with my isocron scepter deck
It's always nice to see people doing non-broken stuff with Isocron Scepter. I used to play an Orim's Chant scepter deck in Extended a loooong time ago that had to be miserable to play against.

There's two instants that cost B I can think of but they work differently. There is Tainted Strike that gives a creature +1/+0 and Infect until EOT. There is also Virulent Wound that give a creature a -1/-1 counter and if it dies this turn it's controller get a Poison counter. Tainted Strike on a stick seems good. Tainted Strike is from Scars of Mirrodin Virulent Wound is from Mirrodin Besieged, both are common.

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2013, 01:58:40 AM »
Orim's Chant scepter
uhhhhh sureeeeeeee i dont do anything broken  :smug:

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2013, 07:19:13 AM »
Ugh, Isocron Scepter... I've seen that thing do too much nightmares, like doom blades, Tribute to Hunger, Fire/Ice... though the Fire/Ice one was pretty cool.

Now I do happen to own some decks of my own :3

I'll edit those in once I make up the lists for them.

My first deck is a red/blue that I pretty much made from scratch and have modified over time:

4 Iron Myr
2 Perilous Myr
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Myr Galvanizer
1 Darksteel Myr
3 Palladium Myr
1 Treasure Mage
1 Argent Sphinx
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Darksteel Sentinel
1 Myr Battlesphere
1 Hellkite Igniter

2 Silent Departure
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Galvanic Blast
1 Red Sun Zenith
1 Izzet Charm
3 Think Twice
2 Traitorous Blood
1 Sleep
1 Essence Backlash
1 Cerebral Eruption

1 Chimeric Mass
1 Voltaic Key
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Prototype Portal

1 Chandra, the Firebrand

9 Mountain
12 Island
1 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Steam Vents

I'll post my others later, my battery is running rather low right now... ^^;
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:31:24 AM by Firestorm29 »

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 02:13:29 PM »
Ugh, Isocron Scepter... I've seen that thing do too much nightmares, like doom blades, Tribute to Hunger, Fire/Ice... though the Fire/Ice one was pretty cool.

Now I do happen to own some decks of my own :3

I'll edit those in once I make up the lists for them.

My first deck is a red/blue that I pretty much made from scratch and have modified over time:

4 Iron Myr
2 Perilous Myr
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Myr Galvanizer
1 Darksteel Myr
3 Palladium Myr
1 Treasure Mage
1 Argent Sphinx
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Darksteel Sentinel
1 Myr Battlesphere
1 Hellkite Igniter

2 Silent Departure
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Galvanic Blast
1 Red Sun Zenith
1 Izzet Charm
3 Think Twice
2 Traitorous Blood
1 Sleep
1 Essence Backlash
1 Cerebral Eruption

1 Chimeric Mass
1 Voltaic Key
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Prototype Portal

1 Chandra, the Firebrand

9 Mountain
12 Island
1 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Steam Vents

I'll post my others later, my battery is running rather low right now... ^^;

If you do fire/ice, can you choose which one to do, or do you have to choose the same one each time?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »
You choose the half. That's why is was so powerful.

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »
because no red.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »
because no red.
iscrons dont need to follow the original cost of the card. its just 2 colorless mana and you cast it. If there is a kicker you can pay it to activate it, but overload is a no go. with dual cards you can activate either side when you cast it with iscoron scepter but at least one side must be a 2 mana instant so you can imprint it. also point was theres worse out there then doom blade or fire/ice

1 Myr Galvanizer
i was thinking why you only had one but then i realized there isnt much you can do with infinite myr mana in your deck :V

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2013, 10:09:26 PM »
Okay so i'm up to my 3rd Sphinx's Revelation and have a pair of AEtherlings and Far // Away preordered.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2013, 05:59:48 AM »
i was thinking why you only had one but then i realized there isnt much you can do with infinite myr mana in your deck :V
Could always prototype portal more if I really needed it  :D

Speaking of Myrs, I do have a blue/white tribal Myr:

4 Myr Servitor
2 Perilous Myr
2 Gold Myr
3 Hover Myr
2 Myr Retriever
1 Myrsmith
2 Palladium Myr
2 Myr Propagator
2 Shimmer Myr
3 Myr Galvanizer
1 Lodestone Myr
1 Myr Battlesphere

1 Genesis Chamber
2 Bladed Pinion
1 Semblance Anvil
1 Myr Reservoir
1 Myr Matrix
1 Myr Turbine
1 Mirrorworks

3 Stoic Rebuttal
3 Oblivion Ring
1 Detention Sphere
1 Bonds of Quicksilver
1 Tempered Steel
1 Growing Ranks
1 Counterbore
1 Touch of the Eternal

1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Elspeth Tirel

9 Plains
10 Islands
1 Esper Panorama
1 Crystal Vein

The deck is a few over 60, and I think I'm missing a Myrsmith. Other than that, I really like this deck quite a bit. It gives me lots of options and I can keep mana open for counters and if I find nothing worthy of a rebuttal, I can always just dump it into token making.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:02:23 AM by Firestorm29 »

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2013, 11:43:31 PM »
So does anyone else have any cards in DGM that caught their eyes?

Actually, I had a couple to watch out for; if only because I enjoy making them work. (And having fun, as you do.)

So, in a strange twist of fate, I got hold of a Fat Pack today; it was the last one in store. No really, it was the only one sitting there. (The shop had held a Magic draft tourny earlier today, so we were very lucky to get it.) We split the cost of it (money troubles and what not) and opened it at home. 3 Mythics out of 9 boosters; certainly best ratio out of all my Fat Packs so far. The mythics included : Legion's Initiative, Progenitor Mimic, and Master of Cruelties. The latter two I had been eyeing up during the previews; so imagine my joy opening them up.

All in all, very much worth it. Also got a red dice with green numbers, which has been dubbed the Yuuka dice; even more smiles for me.

So yeah, looking forward to some fun building shenanigans. Black/Red for the first time since I built a Vampire deck and gave it to Puppy... who then it made it her main deck and came 6th in a tourny with. (Amusingly enough, losing to me in the final round of matches. Imagine Puppy's reaction on that announcement~ :V )

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2013, 07:37:34 AM »
If you're playing Return to Ravnica limited, I'd like to point out an unusual card interaction that doesn't come up often, as a card like Turn // Burn (makes a creature 0/1 and loses all abilities) hasn't seen print or play in a long time. This interaction will occur a lot in RTR limited, as Evolve and Scavenge put +1/+1 counters on stuff all the time. Counters still apply to increases in Power and Toughness after Turn has resolved. Three times I've seen people either waste Turn // Burn or lose a creature in combat because they don't know that the +1/+1 counters still increase the P/T of a creature. I can easily see how people make this mistake, it's not an obvious interaction. Just think of the counters as independent of the card. Honestly the only reason I knew this is from playing with Humility for so long.

I didn't make it out to the card store this weekend since I have finals this week but I did watch some coverage. It seems like, for the time being, G/B/X is where you want to be in Standard. Junk (G/B/W) or Jund (G/B/R) would be my choice going forward right now, and I'm in the process of acquiring the cards for Junk Reanimator now. Early in formats, where decks to beat and tiers aren't established, do something powerful and proactive if you can. Reanimating a creature is powerful, Sire of Insanity is powerful, Burning-Tree Emissary into any 2 drop is powerful, Boros Reckoner into Blasphemous Act is still powerful ect.

Has anyone found a home for Voice of Resurgence yet? This card seems so powerful I just don't know where to put it yet.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:49:50 AM by Zirene »

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
Has anyone found a home for Voice of Resurgence yet? This card seems so powerful I just don't know where to put it yet.

My initial thought when I saw it during the previews was 'Populate decks are going to love you.' More so when you realise it's not a legendary.
After that, any deck that can spawn tokens or play a lot creatures would benefit too; players who want quick decks full of 3 mana or less creatures would scoop it up. Heck, since it's green/white, a Sun Titan would be fun just in case anything bad happened to it; but we're talking more mana for that. And if you have a Populate deck built properly enough, you shouldn't need him. :V

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »
my god dual lands like glacial fortress are so expensive goddamit

also i'm having fun with my bant control deck still which is pretty nice. i'm fed up with playing aggro

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2013, 06:52:31 AM »
Well it looks like Slivers are making a return in M14. I hope they are competitive, I know players love tribal decks. That Shadowborn Apostle could be a popular card too. Relentless Rats was a big hit, as it allows players to break a fundamental rule of the game (only 4 copies of a card), which is always exciting. I don't think it will be but who knows, maybe a quick Griselbrand is good enough.

I think Voice of Resurgence has found its first home. It looks like Bant Flash could be a very strong deck once the metagame is established. Matt Costa played an interesting list this weekend with Voice in it, here is his updated list from an article today.

Creatures (10)
2 Restoration Angel
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Voice of Resurgence

Spells (25)
1 Runechanter's Pike
4 Advent of the Wurm
4 Azorius Charm
2 Rewind
2 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelation
2 Syncopate
4 Thought Scour
3 Unsummon

Lands (25)
1 Island
4 Breeding Pool
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Hinterland Harbor
1 Moorland Haunt
3 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden

Counterspells and Voice put the opponent in a really awkward position. Either play on your turn and risk having spells countered and letting your opponent untap with you tapped out or make tons of tokens for your opponent. Advent of the Wurm and Runechanter's Pike also let you kill people out of nowhere.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2013, 12:51:34 AM »
Pro Tour Dragon's Maze is on right now through the weekend. There have been a few good games today and since the format Return to Ravnica block constructed and Return to Ravnica limited, this is the first time both of those have seen tournament play so everything is going to be new.

Jace, Architect of Thought is looking like a key card. It's ok in Standard but it's +1 ability is WAY better than it is in standard, so I think his vaule will go up with block season rolls around.

E: and Melissa Del Tora is playing right now. She's awesome she has a poker face like no one I've ever seen, and isn't a pun, she really is unreadable.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:54:03 AM by Zirene »

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
There isn't a block season under the current scheduling. Block constructed really only sees play at its 1 PT and occasionally as a MOCS format on MTGO.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852