Author Topic: We discuss Pocket Tanks, prepare the Corkscrews and Chaos Grenade!  (Read 2106 times)

[attach=1]

We've all seen the little game where you get a tank, and you have to shoot the other guy by adjusting the power and angle. Pocket Tanks takes that concept to an entirely new level by adding in hundreds of crazy weapons and the use of a score system rather than lives.

How the game is played is that you choose the level of difficulty for your enemy, then you go to choose 10 weapons from a randomly generated list. Once you and your opponet have 10 weapons, the game starts. You and the enemy are stationed on opposite sides of a hill, and you take turns shooting the wackiest weapons at each other, trying to score as many points as you can before you run out. All land is destructible and makes for unique situations. Shooting yourself causes to to lose points equal to as if you shot the enemy.

Knowledge of your weapons is crucial, because they do so many different things.
Some basic examples are:

Single Shot- the basic shot, sends one shot and explodes in a medium radius
Dirtball- when it lands, it expands to bury your opponent, causing them to shoot themselves and lose points
Dirt Mover- Eliminates land in a triangular shape related to angle of shot
Bouncy Dirt- any land that is touched becomes bouncy and most weapons bounce off it
Tracer- shows where a shot would hit within 10 degrees
Hailstorm- when it hits, it becomes a liqiud and flows downward, causing maximum damage if your oppenent is in a trench
Cruiser- when it hits the ground, it will travel for a while, exploding when it hits the enemy or after an amount of time
Skipper- bounces up to three times before exploding

These were some of the basic weapons that come with the game for FREE.
That's right. Pocket Tanks comes with 30 weapons when you get it for FREE on their website. And you can buy expansion packs that add even more weapons.

The expansions take the weapon count to 250 with additions like; Beehive, Neon Blast, Mega Nuke, Super Nova, Fireworks, Leapfrog, and many more.

I fullheartedly recommend this game to anyone who likes simple, original arcade games.

Website to download: http://www.blitwise.com/downloads.html

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: We discuss Pocket Tanks, prepare the Corkscrews and Chaos Grenade!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »
So far the best games of this genre are still Scorched Earth (one of the oldest of them), and Dome Wars (Mac only, had a cool custom weapon feature that allowed you to make the craziest weapons. Including 9 bomb MIRV with nuke explosions that "funky bomb" on impact for example...It would automatically price these custom weapons based on how good they are though, so the weapon I mentioned, even though it's a "I win but probably kill myself too", it wont pay for itself.

I haven't tried this one but I'm definitely interested. I have a running dream actually of making a tank game like this, only instead of just having many weapons, being able to truly customize your tank like you customize a mech in armored core. You select a chasis, treads, cannon barrels, radars, engine, maybe even a crew.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 12:34:45 AM »
That actually sound really interesting for a game. Hope you do well on it.

As for Pocket Tanks, the weapons are the selling point, seeing as how there are so many.
I prefer to randomly choose mine to make it fairest for the computer.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:49:51 AM »
I haven't tried this one but I'm definitely interested. I have a running dream actually of making a tank game like this, only instead of just having many weapons, being able to truly customize your tank like you customize a mech in armored core. You select a chasis, treads, cannon barrels, radars, engine, maybe even a crew.
You mean like World of Tanks?

Spoiler:
this is apparently the alternative to cosmicbreak
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »

Well that sorta takes out the relaxed, arcade aspects of the game.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:44:52 AM »
So far the best games of this genre are still Scorched Earth (one of the oldest of them)
Hell yes.

Worms is also still ridiculously good fun even in this day and age; you just have to be playing World Party/Armageddon to get the full enjoyment of it.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »

Spoiler:
this is apparently the alternative to cosmicbreak

Not really. I mean still just a 2d angle, power, weapon select type game... World of tanks looks more like a sim more than a game, and it certainly won't have lasers, forcefields, multiple cannons and turrets, etc.

Most tankwars type games really don't have much to do with tanks really.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
Holy shit, I played this game when I was 11.

I used to destroy my opponents (my friends) using Volcano >_>

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 03:36:42 AM »
I always found that fireworks + funnel was a really good move.

Although, I used a Super nova at close range and got like 800 points. BV