Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Ep. 2 - Vic Viper  (Read 13394 times)

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
Ask a Staffer Ep. 2 - Vic Viper
« on: February 23, 2011, 06:52:53 AM »
Hey y'all.  I'm Vic, one of the few general moderators we have around here.

I'm usually pretty closed from giving out information, but I'll be making an exception for this.  Feel free to ask me anything!

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Re: Ask a Staffer Ep. 2 - Vic Viper
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:58:26 AM »
What drew you to MotK, and what do you think is your favorite part of the community here in general?

(PS How do you feel about FORUM LAG AAAAAAAH)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:05:43 AM »
Are you, in fact, the last hope for mankind?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:07:57 AM »
Got any goals for your life in the long run?
What's a few of your favorite games/movies/books?

Drake

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:29:21 AM »
How many cores on average do you shoot per day?

How much do you get paid for being the last hope for mankind?

Laser or Double?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 07:30:54 AM »
What brought you into touhou?
What's your daily life like (i.e. eat computer shit computer sleep)?
What do you prefer, Water or Soda?
What is your favorite genre of games?
How awesome am I, on a scale from Kip to Kip?

HolmCross

• Sad Robot
  • Is not a gun
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 07:31:31 AM »
Are you a man or machine, or some strange hybrid?

When did you join the MotK staff, as it seems to me like you've been here forever, and what was the general state of the forums at the time?
My mouth is not so much a communications tool as an exhaust port for my brain.

Twitter | Steam | Seek your own Wonderland

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 07:37:08 AM »
What's a typical day like for you (a.k.a. what do you do)?

Why were/are you in Korea?

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 07:37:26 AM »
Join a game of mahjong?

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:52:50 AM »
What is your favourite of the Windows Touhou games (on any criteria, be it music, characters, gameplay)?

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:59:38 AM »
Why Vic instead of R-Type?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 08:04:02 AM »
What drew you to MotK, and what do you think is your favorite part of the community here in general?

(PS How do you feel about FORUM LAG AAAAAAAH)
I came to MotK on the suggestion of my friend Letty Whiterock right after the forums moved 2 years ago.  I've floated from forum to forum since I've been on the internet (Pointless Waste of Time -> DDR Freak -> Pumpcore -> MotK) and after the death of Pumpcore I'd been looking for somewhere new to go.  The conversation pretty much went:

"Hey, you should join MotK!"
"Nah, I don't even play Touhou."
"Nah, it'll be great!  You can be Vic Viper and it'll be hilarious!"

I prefer the forum here since it's not solely about Touhou and it lacks a lot of the elitism I attribute to 4chan.

And yeah, the lag is annoying :<

Are you, in fact, the last hope for mankind?
The one and only!  You're still alive, right?  You're welcome.

Got any goals for your life in the long run?
What's a few of your favorite games/movies/books?
Finish school and then get a job.  I'm really sick of school right now, but I'm still weighing options for permanence.  I'm in Japan right now finishing my degree and I'm contemplating coming back to teach English, but not for long.  I'd prefer to do embassy or consulate work.  Granted, my perfect job would be getting paid to read shit on the internet.

I'm not really a big book reader, my mother and brother got that set of genes; my preference by far is film.  I like a lot of action movies and dramas, comedies too but my standards are obnoxiously high.  Personally I've been focusing a lot on Kubrick lately, but I like older Kurosawa as well.

How many cores on average do you shoot per day?

How much do you get paid for being the last hope for mankind?

Laser or Double?
It's been a while, I'm down to about three.

Last I checked, my construction alone bankrupted the entire planet, so I'm going to go with my pay being "all of it"

Laser, my dodging sucks.

What brought you into touhou?
What's your daily life like (i.e. eat computer shit computer sleep)?
What do you prefer, Water or Soda?
What is your favorite genre of games?
How awesome am I, on a scale from Kip to Kip?
Um, nothing did.  I still rarely even touch the games, I've just never been a huge fan of those kinds of games.
Wake up and internet for as long as I can get away with, eventually getting out and being somewhat productive, followed by eating too much junk food and more internet/movies/anime/games, then sleep at later than I anticipated.
Water by far.  I didn't drink soda until I was 16 and now I only drink it when going on long drives or at fast food places.  I don't drink coffee or tea either, so it's pretty much water and milk and orange juice.
Arcade-style driving games (Gran Turismo can suck it) and single-player FPS/3PS.  I also enjoy the occasional Visual Novel, and Persona 3.
Imma go with Kip

Are you a man or machine, or some strange hybrid?

When did you join the MotK staff, as it seems to me like you've been here forever, and what was the general state of the forums at the time?
Whatever you want me to be baby :*

I became a shrine janitor in October of 2009, and a moderator...at some point in the first half of 2010.  I've been on the boards ever since the reset though.  Far as the condition of the forums, it was and still is more fractured than other forums I used to frequent.  I'd say the status quo has been more or less the same, which could also be viewed as stagnant if you prefer.  I pretty much stay in Beyond the Border, which seems to lack a lot of the issues I see in Fandom (not necessarily Touhou exclusive).

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
What's a typical day like for you (a.k.a. what do you do)?

Why were/are you in Korea?
See above, but it pretty much involves eating too much, not sleeping enough or being anywhere near as productive as I set out to be when I woke up that morning.

I was in Seoul for vacation during Spring Break down here.  I've wanted to go to Korea ever since I first heard Lee Jung Hyun 10 years ago, and being in Japan made it much easier to visit than flying from the States.  I wanted to do more historical tourism than anything, see temples and museums and the like.  Buddhist temples are one of my favorite kinds of architecture to see. 

Join a game of mahjong?
I've been wanting to learn for years.  I have the gist down, but no specifics or practice.  If you wouldn't mind I'd love to join.

What is your favourite of the Windows Touhou games (on any criteria, be it music, characters, gameplay)?
I've only ever played PCB, IN and StB.  I consider PCB to be my favorite, since I identify positively with all the characters (save the Prismrivers) and I just enjoy the gameplay more than IN.  The other games I have decent lists of characters I don't particularly care for.  Strangely, for some who cares as much about music as I do, I've never really been into ZUN's original music.  I prefer a few of the doujin artists out there (Sound Holic especially) but I still have to look up what songs they're based on and where they fit in.  I'm not a fan of the gameplay since it involves more dodging than shooting and I much prefer being a bullet-sponge if I can get away with it.

Why Vic instead of R-Type?
The initial suggestion was for Vic, and I preferred the name since it's alliterative like my real name.  Gradius was also first, but R-type would have given me more hipster cred :P (no it wouldn't have)

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:25:39 AM »
Did you know in Gradius III, if the first power-up used is a Speed Down, the game gives full Options, Shield, and Misslies?
Obviously this is difficult because it is done at the lowest speed and weapons, while Speed Down is in the highest tier of power-ups.
It's best to attempt in the shooting gallery phase at the beginning of levels.

Also, how is the weather in Korea?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
Will anime ever "mainstream" enough in the west to be regarded as a medium on par with film or music, and if so, how?

Also, crunchy or smooth?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 01:25:44 PM »
When and how did you invent Vics VipeRub?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I'm not really a big book reader, my mother and brother got that set of genes; my preference by far is film.
What movie recommendations would you give someone who wants to watch good films but doesn't quite know where to start?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 03:26:35 PM »
Did you know in Gradius III, if the first power-up used is a Speed Down, the game gives full Options, Shield, and Misslies?
Obviously this is difficult because it is done at the lowest speed and weapons, while Speed Down is in the highest tier of power-ups.
It's best to attempt in the shooting gallery phase at the beginning of levels.

Also, how is the weather in Korea?
I didn't know that, and that sounds ridiculous, like it'd be the thing that only one or two guys would get really good at performing because that's the only way they play.

I'm actually back in Japan (Hiroshima) now, I was only in Korea for a week.  For the record, Seoul is quite farther north than a lot of Japan, and Seoul was cold.  Not freezing arctic cold, but it was much colder than Hiroshima had been.  It wasn't unreasonable, but once the wind would pick up it got absolutely brutal.  The average high was about 0 Celsius - which isn't that bad - but I went to Fukuoka next were the average high was around 12.  That was SO much nicer.  Hell, ever Kyoto was pretty nice, yet somehow going back south to Kyoto to Hiroshima made it cold again.  What the hell?

Will anime ever "mainstream" enough in the west to be regarded as a medium on par with film or music, and if so, how?

Also, crunchy or smooth?
Never, and I think that's for several reasons.  The first is that cartoons (yes, anime is cartoons) are still viewed as something for children.  This is actually true for the most part, because nearly all the cartoons that are not for children are aimed at a much older audience and deals with subject matter that is much more patently adult.  Essentially, animation in the US seems to either be things like Dora the Explorer for the kids, or shows like Archer or other things on adult swim for the older crowd.  The issue that arises from this is that none of these shows focus around high schoolers, a prime plot point for anime.  So from the very beginning we have a conflict of interest. 

There are several other things I could elaborate on when I'm not so tired, like anime series lasting only one season instead of eight like American shows.  Please remind me in a day or two.

Also, creamy is where it's at.  My sandwiches these days consist of only peanut butter between the bread.  Mm-mmm

When and how did you invent Vics VipeRub?
About 20 years ago and we've had the largest market-share ever since.  It's a deceptively simple cream derived from machine oil, but nothing's better for curing metal fatigue!

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 03:35:08 PM »
How many Home Made Kazoku songs do you know the words to? As in you can sing along.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
Can you give for us on a scale of 1 to Sapz how good you are at the series? :V

Also, actual "not for the lol" questions

What are the purposes for the
Hurrrrr
Special Member
Acolyte
Yellow
Idiot series
Godmother
Gensokyo Cop
Shrine Janitor
and Librarian

member classes?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:29:20 PM by Thanatoaster »

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »
Cirno shows up in your house and offers you a slot on team nineball. What do you do?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 11:06:23 PM »
Aya's S2?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »
Are you actually a fan of Gradius, or do you just think the name Vic Viper is cool?

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 12:11:26 AM »
Are you coming for Reitaisai?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:20:15 AM by Nietz »

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 07:14:54 AM »
How many Home Made Kazoku songs do you know the words to? As in you can sing along.
Not as many as I'd like unfortunately.  I can get through Shounen Heart entirely phonetically, and most of JOY RIDE phonetically.  Memorizing songs usually requires me reading the lyrics along with the song, and I just haven't tried yet.  I can get through every chorus from Musication though, and most of the choruses on Familia and HOME at least.  I've really been bigger on Drunken Tiger than anything else lately.

Can you give for us on a scale of 1 to Sapz how good you are at the series? :V

Also, actual "not for the lol" questions

What are the purposes for the
Hurrrrr
Special Member
Acolyte
Yellow
Idiot series
Godmother
Gensokyo Cop
Shrine Janitor
and Librarian

member classes?
Like a 2 or so, I'm awful at shooters.

There used to be a big chart on the board that detailed all the ranks, but it appears to be gone now, and none of the staff are online at 3:30 in the afternoon!  (lol timezones)

Hurrrrrr and Special Member are the same rank, it's handed out to people who do something that benefit the site in some way without being staff.
Acolytes are your friends, they act as a go-between between users and Mods/Admins.  If you have an issue and don't feel comfortable discussing directly with staff for whatever reason, please tell an Acolyte.  They'll discuss things with us on your behalf totally anonymously.
Yellow is a essentially a moderator of CPMC, and it's totally pointless.  It won't be given out to the general populace.
Idiot Princess:
Idiot Princesses have no real power, and there is no limit to the number of IPs CPMC can have at one time. This title can be awarded and removed for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Idiot Maiden:
Idiot Maidens gain the ability to edit, sticky, or delete threads within CPMC. They are also able to appoint any user to become an Idiot Princess. There is a limit of six IMs at any given time.

Idiot Deity:
Idiot Deities get all of the powers of Idiot Maidens plus the ability to move threads to the "Lecture Series", the repository board for notable or amusing MotK threads. They also get the power to appoint Idiot Maidens. There is a limit of three IDs at any given time (plus Cirno, of course).
Godmothers is given to people running certain games in RPG, granting them to ability to moderator (edit posts) in their thread.
Gensokyo Cop is the older name for General Moderator.  We have authority in any board on the forum to edit posts and move threads, as well as hand down punishments if needed.
Librarians are responsible for making sure PSL is neat and tidy, sorting the active board and archives.

Cirno shows up in your house and offers you a slot on team nineball. What do you do?
Firstly wonder how I wound up in a house.  Following that confusion I'd ask about what responsibilities or powers I'd gain from membership.  Assuming there isn't a foreseeable downside I'd accept, at least then I'd have an excuse for my stupidity :V

Aya's S2?
Working on it.  Gonna get the plot and roles written up in the next week and get things set up.  Then my parents arrive here in Japan for a week, so I won't be starting it up until after I'm back in Hiroshima, so it should be starting after the 15th of March. 

Are you actually a fan of Gradius, or do you just think the name Vic Viper is cool?
Initially I had never played - I grew up on Sega and didn't get a Nintendo until the 64 - but I bought the Gradius Collection for my PSP.  It's quite fun and I do enjoy it, but with the arrival of Darius Burst here in the arcade I feel Gradius is outclassed right now.  I also am a big fan of the name and some of the mythology behind the ship, and am looking to buy a model of it.

Are you coming for Reitaisai?
My parents fly out of Tokyo on the 13th, so barring anything unforeseen I will be going to Reitaisai after they're on the train to the airport.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 11:24:04 AM »
What has been your biggest surprise so far about living in Japan?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 12:27:09 PM »
Why did you become such a fan of Ran. Bit more specific details please not just "I like her 9 tails"

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »
I also am a big fan of the name and some of the mythology behind the ship, and am looking to buy a model of it.
The Sky Girls version is fantastic.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 03:57:10 PM »
What has been your biggest surprise so far about living in Japan?
How expensive everything is.  I knew coming over here that anime DVDs were hilariously overpriced, but I had no idea it extended to everything.  Granted, the sting is worse because there are only 82 yen per USD these days instead of 115 like a year or two ago.  You can feel it absolutely everywhere: travel and entertainment of course, but food is totally ridiculous.  Expect to pay 160 yen for 6 slices a bread (a loaf over here) and 200 yen for a single apple.  I could bitch about prices all day.

Beyond that, I was really pleased to find a rather vibrant arcade culture over here (read: they actually have arcades) which was a big draw of my time when I first landed.

I'll answer your earlier question in the morning, I've revised my answer a bit.

Why did you become such a fan of Ran. Bit more specific details please not just "I like her 9 tails"
I'm not quite sure how it happened.  I've always been a big fan of aesthetics and color composition (but I'm awful at art personally) and art museums have always been a big interest of mine.  I've always been a big fan of Ran's design more than anything - pretty much all of my favorite characters are based on design over anything else, like Hina and Mystia - but Ran was always a big interest because I always enjoyed trying to picture her doing regular activities with her enormous mass of tails getting in the way.  I'm also shallow and enjoy the fanon portrayal of her with large breasts.  Beyond just her tails, I like the simplicity of her outfit while still having a somewhat complex composition.  Also, short hair is an enormous plus in my book.  In essence, it just boils down to "OK pretty lady I love you buh-bye."  I can try and be more specific if you'd like.

The Sky Girls version is fantastic.
I'm going to try and get one if they still have them at the Konamistyle store next month.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »
Viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic

What movie recommendations would you give someone who wants to watch good films but doesn't quite know where to start?

:(

Also, what's your favourite movie of the past five years and why?