Author Topic: N-Forza's Comiket Adventure!  (Read 18913 times)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
N-Forza's Comiket Adventure!
« on: January 02, 2010, 02:32:49 PM »
As some of you may or may not know, I participated in the recent Comiket 77 at Tokyo Big Sight a few days ago. I've been to every one since I've been to Japan, but this is the first time I actually participated as a seller, on the second day. However, this will be a general account of the entire event

The first day of Comiket wasn't too bad. Mostly centered around girl-oriented comics, there was also a fair amount of general video game stuff. The music game section in particular had my interest, so I got there around 9:15 and lined up behind the East Hall entrance.

I've only seen the East Hall entrance available during the Winter Comikets, which is weird because it's really useful so I don't know why they don't have them during the Summer ones too, but whatever. Talka, who I was with, said that he occasionally noticed people taking pictures of me as we walked around. What's so strange about a 6'5" white guy going to something like this?

I also decided to go to the Corporate Area today since I had a few things to pick up for people there. I had never been there before, so what surprised me the most was just how packed it was on the inside. I literally had to push my way through the crowd to get anywhere. And then I found out that most of the lines for the booths were actually outside. They moved them inside in sections, which is a pretty clever idea, but I wish it were easier to find where the end of the line really was.

So that was Day 1. Not too bad, except for the last part, but the real battle was the next day.

Talka and I got up at 5:30 to catch the train into Tokyo. Unfortunately, due to all the stuff we had to carry with us, we missed the train by about 30 seconds. We still managed to get into the area pretty early compared to the rest of the circles, around 8 or so. We get to our assigned area, greet our neighbors for the next 6 hours, and this is the first thing I see on our booth:

A ton of flyers advertising printing services, other events, stores, books, pretty much anything anime/game related really. Also, the length of the folding chairs under the pile is about the size of the booth. Small but sufficient. However, the real prize was sitting just under the table...

Four white boxes containing...

500 copies of our soon-to-be-distributed books! Since I couldn't actually buy stuff yet, I decided to go say hi to some of my favorite circles and give them our book. Even though this is a fairly informal event, since this is Japan, I had some name cards to give to them as well, and I got quite a few name cards in return as well. Of the circles I greeted, mostly the music circles seemed the most pleased that I was a fan of their work. The reactions from the comic circles seemed a little more subdued.

Anyway, when I got back, Talka and another person who was helping us out went off to change into their costumes. This was around 9:15, so there was still time, or so I thought. I set up the booth a little more, and fortunately found where he had put the change, which is usually very important in selling things. However, at around 9:50 I was getting a little worried since neither of them had returned. Fortunately, I had found just about everything I needed to, so when the event started at 10:00, I was more or less ready, supposedly. Sold the first book within the minute. Then the next minute, two. Then the next minute, 4. After about 5 minutes, I already had a line going. Things were going pretty well until about 10:20 when I was informed by some staff that there was a form that we forgot to turn in so we could actually sell stuff. Since the event was already in full swing, I had to muscle my way to the other end of the hall to turn in the form. Took all of 10 minutes, but still annoying. I returned and continued to fumble along with the sales until Talka finally returned at around 11.

That meant I got to start my shopping. Most of it was over in the other side of the hall, and I spent about 2 hours buying stuff for others. I got back at a little before 12:30 and noticed that they had blocked off the entire right end of the hall, where my booth was. I thought there was some incident that occurred, but it was just crowd control. I had to go out and in through the sides of the hall. By the time I got back, we still hadn't sold out, but we had the longest line on our little island by far. I switched with Talka for a while and witnessed the rest of our books disappear before 1:30. At around 2, Talka and the other guy went to go do their greetings with some books they had stashed away, so until around 3:30 was by myself. We still had a sample book for people to thumb through, as well as plastic file folders of varying designs. I actually enjoyed this part the most. Since the book was the main draw, there was time to talk to the people who stopped by, and for some reason, a few people even wanted to shake my hand. I even had a request to sign my book. There were a lot of compliments about the idea, and I gave plenty of reminders that we would re-print more for later events as well as for sale in stores.

Around 3:30, Talka and the other guy came back to drop off their stuff and go change out of their costumes. They still weren't back by the time it ended at 4, so I packed up the best I could, not to mention guarding the box where we stored our money. After they came back, we headed out to the nearby hotel since there was a really nice Chinese restaurant at the top with a great view of the Tokyo skyline. We didn't end up getting back until 11 PM, but all things considered, it was a good day.

The final day I didn't end up going until around 11 AM. I was able to just walk into the main entrance. They say the third day is the busiest day, but it never seems that way to me. There were some awfully long lines outside though. Afterwards I stopped by Akihabara with Talka and some friends to pick up some stuff I missed the day before and have shabu-shabu.

So yeah, except for the whole getting in early on the second day, it wasn't terribly different. If anyone has any other questions, ask away. Also, here's what I picked up. A (*) means that it was something I traded my book for.

Top two and right-most two are DDR books. On the second row, there's the new bkub book, two books by the circle Funny Rocket(*), and Touhou Peanuts by Chamupei(*). Third row is a couple of Pop'n Music books and then a couple of EBA/Ouendan books. The bottom row is a bag with the EBA characters as cats (which I got as a gift since I buy that circle's books at every event, a watch with SDM characters(*), and a Cirno accessory(*). Not pictured is an Ichirin and Unzan coaster.

And the CDs:

From the left going down: Essence by Maki (Bemani artist)
Melancholic Road by TLi-Synth (Touhou jazz arrange)
Omoi by Sound Holic (Various genres)
Touhou Violin Rock I & II by TAMusic
The Fantastic Fastest Legend by garbanzo (Eurobeat)
Re:Starlights & An Umbrella by Hatsunetsu Mikos(*) (Jazz, house, latin)
Touhou Pianism I by Sound Holic
White Mutation from TatshMusicCircle (Various)
12.3 OST
Three Stars by Tokyo Active NEETs (Piano/Trumpet/Violin trio)
Far East of East II by TatshMusicCircle (Various genres)
Crossing by SJV-SC (Fusion),
東方縦笛紅魔郷 by Mapoze(*) (Acoustic & Wind)
Museum of Marasy 2 by Marasy(*) (Piano solo)
Three CDs from EastNewSound, including their new release, Sacred Factor(*) (Vocal trance)

Now I just have to rip them all. :V

Gpop

Re: N-Forza's Comiket Adventure!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »
I can sense so much :parsee: coming into this thread.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 05:47:21 PM »
Congratulations on your book's success! I for one was sure it was going to be a big hit.

And that Touhou Peanuts book seems sweet.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 05:53:39 PM »
aw... i wish i will be able to ATLEAST once to the Comiket once in my life...

btw... cool stuff you got. (through i would have gotten something else for myself)

Drake

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 06:10:32 PM »
I am making a face that cannot be expressed in text without much labor.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »
:O

What is your book about, anyway? General English-learning stuff with Touhou as a background?

This is pretty awesome stuff, I always love hearing stories about this kind of thing. I'm actually planning to study abroad in Japan in the summer, so if my plane ticket back isn't the day before Comiket 78 (which is probably will be), I'll definitely be going.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 08:26:38 PM »
Mega-cool. I didn't know you were making a book, glad to hear it was a success. As for Parsee... I'm honestly not sure if I am or not. I mean I'd love to witness such an event and to see what they have and all that. But on the other hand, I don't know if I'd survive =\. I'm really not a crowd person, and I can't stand around for very long. Stories like this are probably the closest I'll ever get to going to Comiket though >=).

N-Forza

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 02:17:37 AM »
Nietz: It is. I love it so much, although the guy who makes it says that the English translations take so long that he doesn't make too many. I've thought about helping him with that so he can make more.

Darkslime: Yeah, it's modeled after the middle school English textbooks, which is when most students seriously start learning English.

Ghaleon: The crowds are insane. It's practically a swarm of people and getting through the busy areas takes a lot of time and effort.

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 02:56:11 AM »
I didn't know you were making a book... much less an English-teaching Touhou one! That's awesome! Looks like you had a lot of fun. I was in Japan for a week last summer, unfortunately not around the time for Comiket, but I definitely understand the crowd-grazing.

Drake

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 02:56:41 AM »
They're talking about the book in /jp/ right now~

I do want to read it btw :(

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Easy Mode

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:58:57 AM »
Ooh, lucky lucky! >:

How cramped was it there? And was it cold at all?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:34:22 AM »
I just might one day perhaps buy that book.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 07:22:49 AM »
Oh man, I love EBA/Ouendan shit!
Wotters gonna' wot

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 10:23:50 AM »
Congrats on your comic sold out! x3

Edit: If I had the chance, I'd buy the Touhou English Course book and see how Touhou people would teach a language, with a couple of albums and stuff just for awesome art in their jacket.

Stories like this are probably the closest I'll ever get to going to Comiket though >=).
Despite being only 1 timezone hour away from Japan, I feel the same way >.<.

Experience Comiket Adventure! Lots of grazing through crowds required. Be Prepared!
...or so I just felt like saying.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 11:25:25 AM by Lloyd Dunamis »
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 10:37:58 AM »
shoulda ask if AD wanted to be a part of this project lol

great success is one thing, but damn look at dem CDs, I am so parsee the lack of words to describe what I am feeling now.

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

N-Forza

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 11:16:25 AM »
For anyone who wants the book, I do have a few copies to sell to overseas people. Not sure how much it will cost including shipping, but probably $15-20 or so. PM me if you are interested.

Drake: Yeah, I saw it, and it devolved into an SA-hate thread. lol

Mode: Inside the building it wasn't too bad. Even though the booth was right in front of a big door where a couple bigger circles were selling their books, it was fairly comfortable for me. I didn't have to wear my coat at all. The booth wasn't too terribly cramped, although moving around was another matter entirely.

A-F: Eh, I already have plans for the next book, although I might look for some more artists for the third...

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
I am making a face that cannot be expressed in text without much labor.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
    • Primum Mobile ~ Doujin Circle
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 08:11:21 PM »
I'm at a loss of words. That's quite a lot of people, just to say something.

But, N-Forza, you have to be one of the most patient and calm persons around, being able to weave through the crowd (more like punch-struggle through inhuman masses of humans) in order to and sign papers, manage to sell out everything you brought in and even had time to go and bought stuff for others besides talking to some artists (Xi-on, TAM, MARASY, O-LIFE! I mean, I hope those guys know they have quite a following "overseas", in fact, each O-Life release makes people go ga-ga). Damn...

Overall, interesting read. I'm not too fond of crowds and when I read about "an incident" I thought about the average Touhou storyline (it's always some sort of incident) and when I read about "protecting the box with the money" I thought about Reimu getting ready to steal some for her donation box. Watch out for Reimu!!!!

I'm readying all the money for the thingies. I'll end up so damn broke  :V But let's avoid mentioning that for the moment because :parsee: will arise and we are closing in to the submission deadline for the anthology and I have to finish the short story.

RE-BORN INDISCRIMINATE INSTINCT

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 08:06:03 PM »
You should make scanning Touhou Peanuts a priority.

N-Forza

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 12:09:52 AM »
I would love to, but not owning a scanner makes that a little difficult.

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 01:56:16 AM »
Borrow a scanner?  :V

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 06:12:17 AM »
Oh wow... Comiket was crowded! Say, do they still sell some of the stuff from the festival, because I'm trying to buy/find something that was released at Comiket, but it's nowhere to be found at any site I searched... =(

N-Forza

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 10:09:08 AM »
Depends on the circle. Most of the them give their leftover stock to doujin shops to sell, but some only sell stuff during events. If they sold out like us, it's completely up to them if they want to print more. If it's a touhou-related circle, I'd wait until the next event they're participating in to see if they're going to have more.

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 10:23:47 PM »
Oh yeah I was expecting something like that... thanks. I really wanted the Aki Sisters Anthology Project, but I guess I'll have to hope it's still out there. XD

N-Forza

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 12:10:25 AM »
That was sold during the previous Comiket in August, and from what I imagine, they didn't make too many extras and I don't think they are going to make more. I haven't seen it around anyway.

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 12:44:58 AM »
Ugh... are you serious? I saw alot of sites that told me it can be found at tons of online stores like White Canvas and Melonbooks, but I couldn't find it. *Sigh* Maybe next time... if there is a next time... T^T

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
    • Primum Mobile ~ Doujin Circle
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 01:07:56 AM »
Ugh... are you serious? I saw alot of sites that told me it can be found at tons of online stores like White Canvas and Melonbooks, but I couldn't find it. *Sigh* Maybe next time... if there is a next time... T^T
It was for sale at Melonbooks:

http://shop.melonbooks.co.jp/shop/sp_matikado_aki.php?LIVRET=off

But, sadly, it's no more. And I fear it was a damn expensive project... My blood runs cold when I stare at the book. Printing something like that, with that many coloured pages, costs a couple of organs, let alone including properly printed DVDs and the other goodies/nice design.

I'm not sure how much they printed but with 2 and more copies going to each circle and considering the amount of circles participating, probably a lot of the printed material went to them (and exchanges) and the rest quickly sold out at Comiket+stores. However, I think a couple of users here asked for extra copies so maybe they could try passing you one? The price was 2.5k yen if I'm not wrong.

For the Parsee one you probably got luckier as it'll come out in March and maybe N-Forza could pick it for ya later in stores (or before they destroy the stock at Reitaisai, which is bound to happen too).

Speaking of that, N-Forza, Nakasako posted about your encounter with him in his diary! (scroll down to the 08/01 entry) Surrealism ensues? He posted pics of the booth too and seems the book (more like whatever was left in stock) was also for sale... but guess not for too long.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:12:09 AM by Observer »

RE-BORN INDISCRIMINATE INSTINCT

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 01:28:54 AM »
Oh so it WAS for sale... well I hope they do make extra copies because I'm gonna get one as soon as it comes out! Thanks for the information N-Forza and Observer... you two made me get rid of a ton of stress... XD

And can someone please send me a PM if the extra copies do get made? I'm always late for everything...

N-Forza

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 02:13:46 AM »
Speaking of that, N-Forza, Nakasako posted about your encounter with him in his diary!
Wow, he called me handsome... I'm not sure how I feel about that, haha.

And Autumn, just a bit of advice: I'd try to keep track of these kinds of things yourself if you REALLY care about getting it. Other people might be really busy or forget to do it for whatever reason, so it's probably the best way to actually go about getting ahold of it. I'm sure that Parsee website has enough information in English (or will soon if it doesn't), so just bookmark it and check it every so often. The event isn't until March anyway.

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 05:53:31 AM »
Haha I do really care about getting it, but I don't know much sites with the information so its hard to notice when the time comes. I dunno if the Aki Anthology's going to come out around March, but there are no other choices so I'll try... thanks again. XD