Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~  (Read 121658 times)

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
Re: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2014, 05:43:49 AM »
I'm kind of sad I didn't have the right information to be able to figure it out, because I want to know if I would've been able to get it. I think I had the right idea at one point but wrote it off because of incomplete clues, but that might just be hindsight. And even after I had all of the pieces of the puzzle I got some things reversed the first time
To be quite fair the first encounter is like a troll bomb because you get vague clues and limited hints before Naoto helps you.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2014, 05:58:50 AM »
I admittedly had to look up a solution for the fourth one because I managed to completely fail to notice
Spoiler:
the book in the top right corner room had "++""
and so making anything even remotely resembling sense of the puzzle was all but impossible.

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »
Reached 4th floor of Alice Labyrinth and i guess it's a boss floor. So i thought i'd try to fight a F.O.E. instead.
Party level is 10 with more or less 10 level personas.
/sigh They don't make F.O.E.'s like they used to. I decided to fight one, prepared to be horribly slaughtered in every way possible, but i almost fell asleep, while fighting my first Card Soldier. Aside from having lots and lots of HP Card Soldiers are more or less harmless. Not like a certain Ragelope for example. What affects success rate of landing status effect on enemies? Is it agi like usual or not? Because my Ken had a tough time landing poison on the Card Soldier. I know they have high resists, but still. Through out the fight he managed to land a poison only once. Also when do you get access to SP restoring stuff?
Oh, right. Playing on Hard.
Edit: And Painted Soldiers are even worse. They still can't kill me, but take even longer to kill. Still now i have an op and expensive set of armor, which i can't buy yet, because compendium and weapon/armor upgrades has been eating all my money. Plus now i have Titania at level 12.

[moriya]Don't casually throw inappropriate terms around, please.[/moriya]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:31:48 PM by Kilgamayan »
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »
Reached 4th floor of Alice Labyrinth and i guess it's a boss floor. So i thought i'd try to fight a F.O.E. instead.
Party level is 10 with more or less 10 level personas.
/sigh They don't make F.O.E.'s like they used to. I decided to fight one, prepared to be horribly raped in every way possible, but i almost fell asleep, while fighting my first Card Soldier. Aside from having lots and lots of HP Card Soldiers are more or less harmless. Not like a certain Rapgelope for example. What affects success rate of landing status effect on enemies? Is it agi like usual or not? Because my Ken had a tough time landing poison on the Card Soldier. I know they have high resists, but still. Through out the fight he managed to land a poison only once. Also when do you get access to SP restoring stuff?
Oh, right. Playing on Hard.
Edit: And Painted Soldiers are even worse. They still can't kill me, but take even longer to kill. Still now i have an op and expensive set of armor, which i can't buy yet, because compendium and weapon/armor upgrades has been eating all my money. Plus now i have Titania at level 12.

They get harder over the course of the game, but they never really get hard enough that you can't win the second time you fight them at worst. So far, anyway. I haven't actually fought
Spoiler:
the big one in the second floor of the fourth dungeon
yet, so for all I know that's not consistently true either. But for the most part they're an annoyance.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2014, 10:50:51 PM »
You'll be rolling in money later - I've been able to freely blow 130k+ for certain compendium summons + skill card transformations at will.

And yeah, the early FOE aren't actually that hard.  In the second stratum you'll find they start hitting like trucks and carrying mass bind/ailment spells; towards the end of the third some start becoming very dangerous.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2014, 02:32:46 AM »
the problem is this game is not well balanced at all

namely panic and myriad arrows

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2014, 06:00:12 AM »
Finally got my hands on persona q and I've been liking it so far. The disappointment I had from 'no EO-style character development' faded a bit when I learned that everyone got to have changeable personas.

I will say that so far even on Hard the game feels quite a bit easier than EO in general, though. I don't really mind that though.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2014, 08:33:22 AM »
The last PQ DLC is out.  Marie and Nanako navigators for 2.99$ each.

My heart can't take Nanako navigator when you're the P4MC tho hnNNNNGH

« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2014, 09:19:58 PM »
Have a Persona.

[attach=1]

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2014, 10:33:59 PM »
Have a Persona.

[attach=1]

Ah ha ha that's literally identical to the Shiisa I have equipped to Fuuka.

« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2014, 10:43:57 PM »
Ah ha ha that's literally identical to the Shiisa I have equipped to Fuuka.

Hahahahahahaha. It's because it's navi goodstuff: the dude. :V

CF7

« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »
Playing around second stratum. Did some alterations to my team. Replaced Ken with Naoto. Because she's just super good. Naoto + Incubus = OP. Chie replaced Akihito. So the party is as follows.
P3 MC - magic attacker/medic. Mitsuru is i dunno what she is, as she's doing a bit of everything. Chie... just punches things really really hard. Naoto is just doing Hama/Mudo/Poison/Sleep depending on the situation. Yukari is my main medic.
Messengers of Love are really easy. Not only they're weak to fire and ice, but their damage output is not that great either, plus average defense and low hp. Really a step down from Card Painters.
All in all still having buckets of fun.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:13:26 PM by CF7 »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2014, 01:55:06 PM »
Regarding Naoto and balance:

Spoiler:
Is it safe to say Naoto is the best character in the game? I haven't used everyone, I pretty much put all of my favorite characters on a team and never looked back, but I can't envision anyone being better than her. Even into lategame she basically turns random encounters into ten-second breaks in exploring that pay out experience and items, and she has tools to fuck up bosses just as hard.

The only shortcoming I found on her was that once she applies whatever status you want to a boss she can't really do that much to it and tends to just spend the rest of the fight guarding or throwing out extremely weak attacks waiting for the status to wear off. I've fixed this by giving her Orpheus Telos and a boosted critical hit rate, so once the boss is poisoned I have her throw out Toxic Slices anyway, and before too long she'll get a critical hit and be able to keep Healing Harp up for free. Recently I gave her Bloody Vanguard as well, so her massive speed means any turn not spending casting Healing Harp is a turn the rest of my team gets a damage boost, since she usually goes first. On top of that she even resists instant kills, so if a boss does smash most of the party with Mamudoon she will probably survive and can start resurrecting immediately, often for free.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2014, 02:36:24 PM »
I've peeked at GameFAQs forum about the game (I know, I know, but I got what I came for) and since shortly after the jap release even english-speakers have known Naoto is undeniably
Spoiler:
borderline broken. Partially just because hama/mudo are broken in this game in general (especially after impure reach or w/e it's called, which is insanely easy to get and has way too powerful of an effect and should NOT have affected hama/mudo skills in the first place IMO) but in general she just has pretty high stats in several great areas. If you want her to do damage too throw a Str/Mag switch accessory on her when you get one, then welp, especially due to her luck for crits.

You can give some other characters stat layouts that are almost as good as her (...but not quite) with reverse accessories to increase their luck or speed, but even then, her persona having no weakness and stopping the instant death skills that get a lot of use by the enemies too, and having both ma____ons and mp etc, she's just ridiculously good. It's silly.
Spoiler:
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »
Wait, Impure Reach boosts instant kills? Why? That doesn't even make sense. Well, that explains why instant kills seem so much more accurate in this game.

CF7

« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »
Wait, Impure Reach boosts instant kills?
What. I guess it explains things.
And so my Naoto/Incubus pair are destroying second stratum pretty much on their own. Impure Reach + Toxic Slice + Lullaby Song + Mamudo + Mahama from Naoto's own persona. Horribly broken.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:05:00 PM by CF7 »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2014, 04:42:11 AM »
Oh shit, I just saw the design for
Spoiler:
Jinn
. Persona Q is best game ever.

« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2014, 06:38:43 AM »
So I just got persona q. The map drawing is fun at times. Don't really care to much for the rest of the gameplay.  Etrian odyssey was never my thing  I'm nervous that this game will mainly be grinding without much of a story considering I bought the game soley for the characters and story. People who are later on in the game does it have a lot of story and character stuff?  Playing the P4 side.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:56:36 AM by pokemon123 »
Touhou games 1cced(sadly on easy mode) MOF,DDC,IN,TD,POFV,UFO,EOSD,SA

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »
So I just got persona q. The map drawing is fun at times. Don't really care to much for the rest of the gameplay.  Etrian odyssey was never my thing  I'm nervous that this game will mainly be grinding without much of a story considering I bought the game soley for the characters and story. People who are later on in the game does it have a lot of story and character stuff?  Playing the P4 side.

There's not a ton of story, but there is a ton of character stuff. I can't imagine you'll be disappointed in that regard.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »
>Jinn
>Blue with a black ponytail, yellow armbands, and a gaseous tail

Oh Atlus you so crazy

Spoiler:
ROBIN WILLIAMS WHYYYYY ;-;
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

CF7

« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2014, 06:57:16 AM »
Soooooo. I finished second stratum and since i kinda bruteforced my way through most of FOEs there i am heavily overleveled to the point of your navigator is saying something like "Oh, FOE! But you can kill it, so no worries". Somehow ended up with
Spoiler:
Fuuka
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:19:06 PM by CF7 »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »
About halfway through the fourth floor of the fourth dungeon.

Spoiler:
There has been one time so far, on the third floor, when I just could not figure out where I was supposed to go and brute forced my way past two FOEs. I probably forgot to mark a secret passage or something and missing a hallway. Doesn't seem to have bitten me in the ass yet, so I assume it's fine.

The Festival Dudes or whatever it's called FOE is basically impossible right now. Attacks 5-7 times a turn for huge damage each time, and heals back up to full when it gets near half health. I'm not sure if it has a set number of times it can heal up, but I stalled one out until it had healed 5-6 times before I just gave up, so it may not. Doesn't seem to have a ton of HP, so it's plausible that I could take it down in a couple of turns with the right setup, especially if I got lucky with Panic status or something, but I haven't gotten around to trying yet. Magic Bind also might do it, but I don't like using binds if possible because they're so inaccurate that it's hard to rely on them actually being up when they matter.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
Of what I'm reading, I assume that Magic/Strength/Agility binds are pretty much Head/Arm/Leg binds?
If that's so then my previous EO experience tells me they're even more reliable than status and at certain points nigh mandatory, even. But I dunno how does that hold up on PQ, so yeah.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2014, 09:45:27 PM »
Of what I'm reading, I assume that Magic/Strength/Agility binds are pretty much Head/Arm/Leg binds?
If that's so then my previous EO experience tells me they're even more reliable than status and at certain points nigh mandatory, even. But I dunno how does that hold up on PQ, so yeah.
They're basically the same binds, yes.  That said in PQ they're not as accurate as it'd be nice if they were; if not solely because it's kind of a pain in the ass to find something with the skill that boosts bind success rates (while Impure Reach for ailments/instant kills is available at like level 13 or something).  They do tend to last notably longer in PQ if they stick, though.

If you can successfully magic bind that FOE, it will stop it from Diarahan.  There is another way to stop it, but it won't work yet - it's as part of a quest Elizabeth gives you.

CF7

« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2014, 10:04:49 AM »
Pro tip.
Don't play 3-2 (the floor with lots of dark rooms and no random encounters in them) at 3 am with headphones on in a completely dark room, save for the light from the screen of your 3DS.
It's like a mix of Silent Hill and Fatal Frame. 2spooky.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:09:20 AM by CF7 »

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2014, 03:48:30 AM »
Pro tip.
Don't play 3-2 (the floor with lots of dark rooms and no random encounters in them) at 3 am with headphones on in a completely dark room, save for the light from the screen of your 3DS.
It's like a mix of Silent Hill and Fatal Frame. 2spooky.
Yup that happened to me too, but more like Corpse party.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

CF7

« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2014, 09:47:17 PM »
So... Reached 3-4. Fought THAT FOE at the start. Thoughts.  Nope. Nope. Nope. All the Nopes in the world. Never again.
Man, it's like original EO all over again.
Spoiler:
Mamudon... P3MC is weak against it. Wooo.
Dark wall helped somewhat. But that "somewhat" is rather questionable, at one point it one shotted 4 members of my team.
Diarahan. 3 times. 3DS always met the wall.
My Chie was definetely a MVP, but she kept oneshotting herself after being cursed over and over and over again.

All in all it took like 45-50 minutes.
On the plus side, what i can guess from dungeon layout, i ran around freely without that thing chasing me. So i it was worth it, i guess.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #147 on: December 25, 2014, 10:43:18 PM »
Finished the game, P4side, Hard.  64 hours clocked.

Really, really unbalanced and terribly easy, and it leaned too hard on character gimmicks, but still a ton of fun.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2014, 03:12:42 AM »
Just finished a certain later-game request where you have to fight a particular person.

Spoiler:
Woooow Margaret was weak. I guess she had to be since you get less than half of the characters to fight her (even worse since Naoto counts as like three people :V), but she didn't put up much of a fight.

Interesting that Persona 3 Protagonist's upgraded persona is Messiah, not Thanatos or Orpheus Telos. And he gets Debilitate, goddamn. I haven't seen anyone else's second Persona yet, but does this mean they're going with final forms and giving the Persona 4 cast their Golden Personas? Probably not.

Smooth writing covering up the fact that Shinjiro never gets a second Persona.

Also one of Persona 3 Protagonist's lines before the fight is great. I won't spoil what it is unless someone reading this is being naughty and hasn't done the fight yet (or that line isn't there on the Persona 4 route and you want to see it yourself), but it's pretty good.

Edit: Okay, so Kanji's second Persona was Rokuten Maoh (P4), not Takeji Zaiten (Golden). So I would argue that P3MC's upgraded Persona should have been Thanatos, but WHATEVER, MOM.:derp:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:50:27 AM by commandercool »

CF7

« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Um... Do enemies have finite SP? Because those FOE's that look like a gourd with arms and legs are slowly, but surely driving me mad. They spam Diarahan. Like every second or third turn.