Author Topic: Diplomacy: What the Disc going on?  (Read 14996 times)

Bitz

• So Moe!
  • *heart attack*
Re: Diplomacy: What the Disc going on?
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2010, 06:23:13 AM »
This is just getting dumb. I mean... I would rather win and all, but with all these internal unbreakable alliances, we're essentially acting as two nations at a stalemate.

I will accept the draw.

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »
It's true that it has become more of a tactical game than a diplomatic one at this point.  I'd be willing to draw as well and move on to the next game.  So, I guess it's down to whether Morpork is going to accept the draw or else press its tactical advantage.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »
Didn't Morpork commit suicide though? :3

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2010, 09:36:43 PM »
Well, assuming Morpork decides to spare us his wrath, what map/ruleset do y'all want to play next? Moreover, what options are available?

Dorian White

• The most handsome non-vampire diplomat you ever encountered ~
  • With a Gandalf like evolution.
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2010, 12:46:01 PM »
I think we have a agreement, time to make things official:
The war ends, after six and a  half years, with a draw between the Continental Powers* (Genua - Mutab) and the Insular Allies* (Agatea - Klatch - XXXX).

All in all a good game a bit dull at the end but that's normal. Thank you for playing.

*I just made the names up so if you don't like how I call your alliance sue me.
Well, assuming Morpork decides to spare us his wrath, what map/ruleset do y'all want to play next? Moreover, what options are available?
According to the his last PM it's safe to say that will Naut agree to this, and on the matter of the next game:
Personally I would prefer to play the default version once again just to get more use to the concept of the game, but that is now Serpentarius decision.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:49:52 PM by Dorian G. »
Bella gerant alii, tu felix Gensokyo nube. Nam quae Mars aliis, dat tibi diva Venus.

Serp

« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2010, 02:16:40 PM »
Sure, I'd be happy to run another classical game in a little while.  I'll bump my old thread up and use it to play this one as well.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2010, 10:49:57 PM »
I think we have a agreement, time to make things official:
The war ends, after six and a  half years, with a draw between the Continental Powers* (Genua - Mutab) and the Insular Allies* (Agatea - Klatch - XXXX).

All in all a good game a bit dull at the end but that's normal. Thank you for playing.

*I just made the names up so if you don't like how I call your alliance sue me. According to the his last PM it's safe to say that will Naut agree to this, and on the matter of the next game:
Personally I would prefer to play the default version once again just to get more use to the concept of the game, but that is now Serpentarius decision.
*Kasu sues

Just kidding.  S'all good.  Twas a pretty intense game in the middle there.
Sure, I'd be happy to run another classical game in a little while.  I'll bump my old thread up and use it to play this one as well.
Cool beans.  Do you think you could post in this thread when its ready?  I wanna have a chance to register for it and the bump might help me and maybe some of the other contestants get to it faster.

Anyway, good game everyone.

Bitz

• So Moe!
  • *heart attack*
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2010, 12:25:15 AM »
I'm not sure about the details, but the first Diplo game ended like this because there were many solid alliances as well, correct?

Serp

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2010, 04:03:30 AM »
Well, it ended because England and France became unstoppable after they teamed up, and they had no reason to backstab one another.  I would like to encourage more backstabbing to keep the game fluid right up until the end, but I'm unsure of how to do it.  The current idea I've had is to have a scoreboard for victories, such that a victory by a three person alliance for example would only give a third of a victory point to each member.

It also seems to me that the Octarine map might've been especially susceptible to stalemates, with all the potential chokepoints between the naval and land-based powers.

Bitz

• So Moe!
  • *heart attack*
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2010, 04:38:45 AM »
Yeah, this map has a LOT of chokepoints. Stalemate lines form really easily.

A scoreboard might encourage people to stab each other, but only if there are enough games for the points to normalize and become meaningful. I don't know if there's enough interest on these boards for that to happen.

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2010, 04:48:11 AM »
How about making it so that at least one betrayal is necessary in a game? It'll incite a whole lot of paranoia too

:P 

Dorian White

« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2010, 07:51:24 PM »
Since when counts two games as representative? Let's play a third game and wait if there will be a fourth game before we start to mess around with the rules.
Bella gerant alii, tu felix Gensokyo nube. Nam quae Mars aliis, dat tibi diva Venus.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »
Since when counts two games as representative? Let's play a third game and wait if there will be a fourth game before we start to mess around with the rules.
I agree with this.

Also, I'll have you know that I did a bit of backstabbing myself, although I think Mushy may have been expecting it. :3

« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2010, 12:26:24 AM »
I notice that despite the fact that the great nation of Morpork remains alive and thriving, it was not included in any end game alliance. Real men don't need petty allies.

Spoiler:
Real men also lose horribly.

So, onto the next game, gents! Let's do this!

Bitz

• So Moe!
  • *heart attack*
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2010, 01:39:39 AM »
If there's a scoreboard system, I suggest using the scoring system I've seen before: each game is worth 10?number_of_players points. If one player wins by controlling the objective number of SCs, he gets all the points. If multiple players win by stalemate or draw, each player gets game_point_worth?number_SCs_controlled?total_map_SCs points, rounded to the nearest integer.

As for testing interest, simply running another game, and then another game after that one, and so on, won't be that representative ? I suspect all the games will generally be played by the same users (i.e., us). Perhaps we could run two games side-by-side and see if there's enough interest for players to fill up both games, with the (obvious) restriction that any user may only participate in one game at a time.

Serp

« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2010, 12:52:07 PM »
Interesting idea for points distribution, Bitz.  But since we're playing Diplomacy after all, perhaps the number of victory points given to each player ought to be agreed upon in the final peace treaty. :3c

I am interested in speculating on the exact mechanics of how that might work out, though for the moment my scoreboard is just going to read that Pesco and Dorian G. have won half a Europe each.

Serp

« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »
Alright, signups for the next round are up: here.

Dorian White

« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »
If there's a scoreboard system, I suggest using the scoring system I've seen before: each game is worth 10?number_of_players points. If one player wins by controlling the objective number of SCs, he gets all the points. If multiple players win by stalemate or draw, each player gets game_point_worth?number_SCs_controlled?total_map_SCs points, rounded to the nearest integer.
I took the liberty to try it out:

Agatea:
   7SCs, 13 points

Genua:
   11SCs, 21 points

Klatch:
   5SCs, 10 points

Mutab:
   10SCs, 19 points

XXXX:
   8SCs, 15 points

Scores:

Mushyrulez: 21
Bitz: 19
Krakozhia: 15
Kasunagi-no-Tsurugi: 13
Serpentarius: 10
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:02:11 AM by Dorian G. »

Bitz

• So Moe!
  • *heart attack*
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2010, 03:16:51 AM »
Players who are dead get zero points, and the points that they would have got if they were alive are simply "lost." If the players can redistribute the points themselves based on an agreement, the points that dead players "control" are not pooled into the pool of redistributable points.