Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 4, Part 4  (Read 71265 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 4, Part 4
« Reply #540 on: June 30, 2016, 02:25:27 AM »
>These Blackblood jewels. What about them is 'evil'? Do they affect or influence their users, beyond simply providing a source of energy for them to use?

>It's a documented fact, Byakuren. Kiku answers. Every known bearer of a dark Jewel has been, to use the casual term, a villain of some kind, ranging from burglers to rapists.
>It seems to be their nature. Reisen adds. In their blood. It stems back to their origins. Dark Jeweled blood are those whose ancestry can be traced back to the dragons of Avantador, the ones that brought the world to ruin.
>And those that don't make that claim instead claim to be the descendants of demons and devils. There's no consensus on which side is correct.
>What about the other side? asks Lily. The not-dark Jewel wearers?
>They claim to carry the blood of Angels. Reisen replies. I've seen them in action, too. I wouldn't argue that claim, not the ones I saw anyway.

« Reply #541 on: June 30, 2016, 02:29:01 AM »
>So these jewels aren't simply tools that anyone could be trained to use?

« Reply #542 on: June 30, 2016, 02:45:07 AM »
>So these jewels aren't simply tools that anyone could be trained to use?

>They're actually born with them. Reisen replies. Anyone who can draw power from the abyss, that's what the Blackbloods call their source, is born with a Jewel. After they reach puberty, they undergo a secret rite for a second Jewel, their Jewel of Rank. As far as I know, no one can use someone's Jewels save the person they're a part of.
>What do you know of this Rite? Kiku asks her.
>Only it's name. The Blackblood who owned me called it The Darkening. One of her sons was nearing his rite, and I was going to be his reward if he came away with a darker jewel.
>What happened? Lily asks, concerned.
>Don't worry, Lily, I was alright. A group of Blood, good Blood, attacked the mansion before the ritual happened. I was rescued by their leader, a Dawn Jeweled Lord named Kiyomaru Daidouji. But we can talk about that later.

« Reply #543 on: June 30, 2016, 02:58:12 AM »
>Does this mean they cannot be separated from their jewels either?

« Reply #544 on: June 30, 2016, 03:03:57 AM »
>Does this mean they cannot be separated from their jewels either?

>Kiku replies, They can be, yes. But just taking their Jewels from them doesn't sever their link to the abyss, not completely. Only breaking a Jewel can do that.

« Reply #545 on: June 30, 2016, 03:31:18 AM »
>Is this harmful to them? Because I'm wondering if perhaps we should go deal with them first - before Motormaster gets back. How inseparable are they?

« Reply #546 on: June 30, 2016, 03:36:14 AM »
>Is this harmful to them? Because I'm wondering if perhaps we should go deal with them first - before Motormaster gets back. How inseparable are they?

>Define 'harmful'. Kiku says in answer to your first question.
>I wouldn't really use that term for them. answers Reisen to your second. I don't know that I'd call them friends in the traditional sense of the word. They're a gang, though, and all that entails. They watch each others' backs.

« Reply #547 on: June 30, 2016, 04:05:53 AM »
>I mean, will it do meaningful physical or mental damage to them?

« Reply #548 on: June 30, 2016, 04:16:54 AM »
>I mean, will it do meaningful physical or mental damage to them?

>Physical, no. Kiku replies in a loaded tone.

« Reply #549 on: June 30, 2016, 04:26:34 AM »
>That's a 'yes' to mentally, isn't it?

« Reply #550 on: June 30, 2016, 04:34:29 AM »
>That's a 'yes' to mentally, isn't it?

>I'm afraid it is. Reisen answers for her. The Jewels are part of who they are. When they shatter, it's like.... Like a bird youkai losing their wings. The body might recover, but the heart and soul?
>These are no innocent victims. Kiku reminds her. If you are familiar with these Blackbloods, you should know that.
>Yes, I do. And the truth is, if they are all Jewel-wearers, then breaking them would doing some good, just like getting that splinter out of Motormaster. If they're Blackbloods, Byakuren, I can promise you they've been misusing the gift they were born with.

« Reply #551 on: June 30, 2016, 04:41:49 AM »
>Well, I've already purified one type of corruption considered impossible to heal. Who says I can't do it again?
>I think we should go deal with them while Motormaster is having lunch, and maybe we'll be able to ambush them when they return. Unless, of course, Motormaster goes somewhere else afterward instead. But even then, this is probably better than facing both at once.

« Reply #552 on: June 30, 2016, 12:58:28 PM »
>Well, I've already purified one type of corruption considered impossible to heal. Who says I can't do it again?
>I think we should go deal with them while Motormaster is having lunch, and maybe we'll be able to ambush them when they return. Unless, of course, Motormaster goes somewhere else afterward instead. But even then, this is probably better than facing both at once.

>I agree. says Reisen. And even if this splinter wasn't a factor here, I'd still suggest we strike at the gang. If we can elminate those Jewels, the city will be a safer place.
>Kiku concurs. And it is most tactically sound to strike while the enemy is divided. It would be preferable still to have some more distance between this Motormaster and his crew before the conflict begins. Poppy, is this possible?
>The rabbit considers that for a moment. Maybe. But I don't think we can do that without splitting ourselves up in the process. And I don't know if we should do that, not before we know what color Jewels we're up against.

« Reply #553 on: June 30, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »
>Kiku, you said you were already at the cemetery, right? Lily, Reisen, how close are you now?

« Reply #554 on: June 30, 2016, 05:30:49 PM »
>Kiku, you said you were already at the cemetery, right? Lily, Reisen, how close are you now?

>Pretty close. Lily replies. Maybe, uh, three minutes? Give or take?
>I'm close to Kiku now. says Reisen. A minute, maybe two.

« Reply #555 on: June 30, 2016, 05:44:10 PM »
>Then let's meet up by Kiku's position and go deal with these six as quickly as we can.
>Do so!

« Reply #556 on: June 30, 2016, 08:40:31 PM »
>Then let's meet up by Kiku's position and go deal with these six as quickly as we can.
>Do so!

>Careful to keep your eyes off of Motormaster, who Rin reports is still doing no more than minding their own business, you and Rin depart from the cafe.
>What else do we need to know about these Jewels? Rin asks of Kiku and Reisen, the apparent resident experts.
>Reisen answers first, Well, like Kiku said, Jeweled Blood aren't like traditional magicians. They can use some of the same sort of tactics, but they also have psychic abilities as well. They can attack the mind just as much as they can attack the body.
>At least some of them can. Kiku corrects. The Blood's capabilities changes from person to person. The darker the Jewel, the stronger the Blood, and usually, the more varied abilities they possess. We should expect assaults on multiple fronts.
>Well, not from Wildrider or Brake-neck. They're too crazy for mental attacks. They'll come straight at us. Same with Drag Strip. Vice is probably the most dangerous of them, discounting Jewel strength. Unless one of the others has a much darker Jewel, we should target him first.

« Reply #557 on: June 30, 2016, 08:54:33 PM »
>Is it possible we could just try putting them to sleep before they even know we're coming? They're busy drinking and have no reason to expect any kind of attack. You can waft your ability around corners, can't you Lily?

« Reply #558 on: June 30, 2016, 09:09:07 PM »
>Is it possible we could just try putting them to sleep before they even know we're coming? They're busy drinking and have no reason to expect any kind of attack. You can waft your ability around corners, can't you Lily?

>Uh-huh, I sure can.

« Reply #559 on: June 30, 2016, 09:17:23 PM »
>Then I say we sneak near to them and do that. I can feed you power, if the resilience to alcohol that their jewels grants them also makes them resistant to something like that.

« Reply #560 on: June 30, 2016, 09:21:58 PM »
>Then I say we sneak near to them and do that. I can feed you power, if the resilience to alcohol that their jewels grants them also makes them resistant to something like that.

>And what do we do with them if this plan works? Kiku asks.

« Reply #561 on: June 30, 2016, 10:02:35 PM »
>I can try to purify their jewels while they're incapacitated. And if that doesn't work... well, we can at least get them out of the way until Motormaster is dealt with, I guess.

« Reply #562 on: July 01, 2016, 05:29:32 PM »
>I can try to purify their jewels while they're incapacitated. And if that doesn't work... well, we can at least get them out of the way until Motormaster is dealt with, I guess.

>It is worth a try. Provided you can get close enough, Lily. And provided your spell does not alert them through their Jewels.
>Oh, it will. Reisen says soberly. At least Breakdown will notice. But don't worry, Lily, we'll cover you.
>Thanks, Reisen! Lily exults as you turn a street corner, spying Kiku standing outside the western gate of the graveyard, an ofuda in her hand.
>And then Rin speaks to you, on a private channel. I know I may be worrying too much, Mistress, but that corpse back at the CRA's still bothering me. She never said anything about Motormaster's crew having any kind of power. How do we know this isn't some kinda trap?

« Reply #563 on: July 01, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
>Every conflict we engage in may hold dangerous surprises, whether deliberate or not; I wish I could say otherwise. But whether that spirit's omission was accidental or intentional, I still don't believe we can let things with Motormaster remain as they are right now.

« Reply #564 on: July 01, 2016, 08:58:22 PM »
>Every conflict we engage in may hold dangerous surprises, whether deliberate or not; I wish I could say otherwise. But whether that spirit's omission was accidental or intentional, I still don't believe we can let things with Motormaster remain as they are right now.

>No, I agree. But, maybe I should scout the place out first? They might not notice a cat.

« Reply #565 on: July 01, 2016, 09:29:07 PM »
>If this plan works, we may not even need visual contact to engage, but we'll see as we get closer.

« Reply #566 on: July 04, 2016, 02:53:10 PM »
>If this plan works, we may not even need visual contact to engage, but we'll see as we get closer.

>Kiku gives the two of you a quick nod as you approach. If one good thing comes of this, Lotus, it is that now that I have sensed an active Jewel, I may have a better chance of detecting inactive ones. The fewer we have of them in this city, the better.
>We have a problem. Reisen reports. I'm coming in from the north, and I can see the tomb Motormaster's crew is parked in. And one of them is outside the tomb.
>They posted a guard? Kiku asks.
>No. Reisen answers, sounding disgusted. He's having sex.
>Oh. Well, does that not mean he will be easier to surprise?
>Maybe. But most of the ways we have of taking him out will alert the others.

« Reply #567 on: July 04, 2016, 04:06:43 PM »
>Even if we put him to sleep? Well, 'them', I suppose.
>How big a tomb are we talking?

« Reply #568 on: July 04, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
>Even if we put him to sleep? Well, 'them', I suppose.
>How big a tomb are we talking?

>I can't see into it. It was their bikes that tipped me off. That and I can see Vice.

>Our spells would alert at least one of the others.
>I have to agree. says Kiku. Blood Jewels possess divination and detection abilities as well.
>What if we didn't use spells? Rin suggests.
>Lily asks, What do you mean?
>If they're both, um, distracted, couldn't one of us sneak up on them and rap 'em over the head?

« Reply #569 on: July 04, 2016, 07:56:35 PM »
>I'd really rather not rap a potential civilian over the head. Do you think we could just sneak past them? Alerting one person by magic is better than alerting five of them.