Author Topic: "Games you're playing right now" Thread or something  (Read 142162 times)

Re: "Games you're playing right now" Thread or something
« Reply #930 on: June 25, 2010, 11:04:36 PM »
=w=b
As soon as I got into SMT, all my FF games went into the trash can. Persona 4 is an okay acceptable game, weaker than 3, and is nowhere nearly as good as the "true" titles. Check out Nocturne if you can.

I borrowed P4 from a friend. I tried it once and wasn't pleased. Got to this boss and had crappy persona. Friend then tells me that i had to experiment to get the needed personas. As i didn't find it obvious how to get something that resists physical attacks i got kinda annoyed. Gimme whatever abilities i need. I'm never in the mood for a turn-based game to game over me because a boss decided to critical hit and kill the main character. They imported the same thing into FFXIII. Which was very boring. And very easy too. Unless you go for Cie'th missions. But screw those. Game wasn't fun to begin with.

And i pretty much threw my FF games down the trash can years ago. Final Fantasy's boring and challenges doesn't change that for me. Mainly because i have beaten all those games too many times.

To be fair to RPG's though, i do prefer titles that allows me to brute force it.

Bananamatic

« Reply #931 on: June 25, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »
Star Ocean 3.
Fayt solo, mandatory battles only, Galaxy+Gutsy Bunny, no HP/MP skill levels, no item creation, no clone generators
fun, no grinding and challenging

also for P4, there aren't many cheap deaths - if you are about to get killed by a single target attack, your party members block the attack for you(and they always survive it)

there is no "required" persona
it's just way too easy to reach the bosses at a much lower level, so just train and freely fuse stuff. it's not rocket science, just use common sense(when you have stuff like Wind Boost and Resist Elec, obviously try to pass them onto a wind elemental persona)

« Reply #932 on: June 25, 2010, 11:35:19 PM »
I never even got killed by Hama or Mudo spells in P4, which were definitely the most infuriating types of game overs in the series. P4 Expert is still way too easy though.

P3 Hard is annoying but doable. I'll do my first playthrough on P3 Portable on Hard just because. Maniac will be for the second run on it since I don't think you can do Vision Quest on the first run. Plus, you probably still have to wait for the second round to fight the optional boss anyway. Plus, I don't want to deal with the new difficulty's higher compendium than Hard, more damage than Hard, etc. on the first playthrough of the port.

Bananamatic

« Reply #933 on: June 25, 2010, 11:37:36 PM »
P4 Expert seemed just right. No idea how easy is the Easy mode.

« Reply #934 on: June 25, 2010, 11:44:49 PM »
P4 difficulty settings were lame

Beginner: 80% damage, 10 continues
Normal: 100% damage
Expert: 120% damage

The PSP port of the first Persona uses those as well, except there are no continues. But then I don't think it has the MC death= game over thing either, though I could be remembering wrong because I barely played the game because it sucked so much.

Bananamatic

« Reply #935 on: June 26, 2010, 12:03:45 AM »
120% damage? That's almost zero difference >.>

Gammeru

« Reply #936 on: June 26, 2010, 12:08:38 AM »
Transformice.
We've got hats. And mice. And ANVIL GODS(not pictured).

Played Valkyrie Sky for the first time in a long while. It's looking pretty sparse these days. Makes me pine for the old open betas. Probably gonna keep training my ranger until level 30.

E: for image
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:51:35 AM by Opheille »

« Reply #937 on: June 26, 2010, 04:01:00 AM »
Finally finished BlazBlue's story mode. I'm impressed; its story isn't just good "for a fighting game", I think it's actually good!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #938 on: June 26, 2010, 05:44:31 AM »
The Arena.

Just... the Arena.

But I haven't played that game in a long time, so it isn't worth bothering.

Mister Sanity wins when he spams the Fire Uppercut.
Use hammer, go forth and own
No offense, but the Arena is nothing. The True Arena took me five months to beat.

I recently restarted FF10. Going much more swimmingly than my incomplete playthrough (35 hours just to get pwned by Spectral Keeper. What.)

COPIRIGHTO

• Hello I'm Kaguya
  • and I'm a LOOONEY
« Reply #939 on: June 26, 2010, 05:48:50 AM »
Disgaea
SRW W
CoD4
Portal
StarCraft
Ketsui
and I'm going to start Okami once I get back from California

jvpenguin

« Reply #940 on: June 26, 2010, 07:43:08 AM »
Need to finish some games I've ignored for the past few months:
Final Fantasy XIII
Valkyria Chronicles
MGS 3 and 4
Oh and I still have Persona 4 here, never even opened it D:

And of course:
Touhou (Still aiming to 1cc the windows games, on normal at least :3)
Currently on PoFV, which is so annoying when the godlike AI can stay alive forever :V

« Reply #941 on: June 26, 2010, 04:25:24 PM »
Final Fantasy XIII

I bought that game when it came out in March and didn't finish it before last week. Which means that i ignored it for several months. The culprit being ch. 11
It was a chore to finish the game but at least the game is relatively easy. Its odd, i've been some fans of Persona complain that the game is too difficult and trial and error based. I wonder what that's about...

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #942 on: June 26, 2010, 05:51:36 PM »
@jvpenguin

Hey. You. Give me your copy of Persona 4. I can't find one anywhere.
Or 3.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #943 on: June 26, 2010, 06:05:31 PM »
Or 3.
This makes me ask why I have spoiled 3 for me so hard already. Is there a way to forget everything about a single game?

« Reply #944 on: June 26, 2010, 08:26:55 PM »
This makes me ask why I have spoiled 3 for me so hard already. Is there a way to forget everything about a single game?

Well, applying blunt force to your forehead might do the trick.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #945 on: June 26, 2010, 08:31:55 PM »

Well, failing blunt force trauma, the journey (no pun intended) itself is really good.  So even if you know what's going to happen it won't really take much away from it.  In fact knowing what happens makes that last stretch of the game more touching.

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #946 on: June 27, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »
Sin and Punishment : Star Successor on the Wii. This game is all sorts of awesome.

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

« Reply #947 on: June 28, 2010, 02:13:21 AM »
Hearts of Iron 3 is pretty fun.  For a strategy nut like myself, this is the perfect game.  Although being beaten around by Communist AND Nationalist China is kind irritating.  Maybe I should stop being so aggressive and declaring war on all my neighbors.   :derp:

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #948 on: June 28, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »
Eversion.

It was fucked up to say the least.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #949 on: June 28, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
Eversion.

It was fucked up to say the least.
Eversion is awesome.

Did you get the happy ending yet?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #950 on: June 28, 2010, 05:21:39 PM »
Never said it wasn't awesome, but it's pretty weird, though original.

And no, still not the happy ending, because I'm lazy.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #951 on: June 28, 2010, 09:39:15 PM »
Finally got around to playing P3:FES and finished it after a 90 hour'ish quasi-marathon. Fairly decent game overall, but the SLink system isn't really my thing and jesus christ AI party members are frustrating. I wasn't sure whether I was going to try the Answer, but I watched the start and some butterfly robot chick started beating people up and I can use her in my party and now I think I have to play it.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #952 on: June 28, 2010, 09:42:31 PM »
and jesus christ AI party members are frustrating
play P4

better game, IMO

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #953 on: June 28, 2010, 10:05:06 PM »
Persona 3 Portable, where you can actually control your party. I can't wait until that comes out.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #954 on: June 29, 2010, 07:02:07 AM »
FFX- Hmm.. I just entered the Zanarkand (Cloister of?) Trials and I am pleased for the lack of ball puzzles.
It's been 40 hours, do you think I stand a chance against the Spectral Keeper and Yunalesca? I've been keeping track of accumulated sphere levels and my party is around 79, give or take 3.

The Beatles: Rock Band
I must say, I appreciate the Beatles a lot more now after my cousin insisted on beating the story mode.
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Within You Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Dear Prudence are just a handful of songs that I've come to like.

And finally, NOT TOUHOU
because my COMPUTER is STILL BROKEN
:'(

Fluffy Rocket Tails

• The fluffiest.
  • Far superior to any Tanuki.
« Reply #955 on: June 29, 2010, 07:48:57 AM »
I gave up on Super Mario Galaxy again and started Baten Kaitos.  I can't say much after only 25 minutes but the visuals are some of the best I've seen on a Gamecube, the soundtrack isn't bad - it's by the guy who did the soundtrack for Golden Sun so there's no way it could be bad - and the combat system is interesting.
Take me on a rocket ride.

Kaboom!

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #956 on: June 29, 2010, 01:04:19 PM »
play P4

better game, IMO
Yeah, I have P4 but I figured if I played it first then P3 would feel like too much of a backwards step for me to enjoy it.

Started on the Answer. What's up with the character balance? I just got Junpei and the dog and their stats are way above everyone else's despite being at a lower level.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #957 on: June 29, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
Picked up Robopon 2: Ring Version, a childhood game of mine.

Trashed the final boss again with a subpar team (Diane / Merr-O / Tink / D'Art, all are squishy, Diane gets 2HKOed by Reaper, D'Art is the only top tier pon...)

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #958 on: July 02, 2010, 01:07:24 AM »
Finished the Answer. Probably enjoyed it more than the main game due to the absence of most of the annoying stuff. I tried to keep myself reasonably levelled to avoid a repeat of the lv99 hilarity against
Spoiler:
-----Nyx-----
, but the end boss was still a pushover. Metis + Orgia mode makes everything incredibly silly anyway.

Bananamatic

« Reply #959 on: July 02, 2010, 08:35:18 AM »
Answer was stupidly luck based...I had Thunder Reign miss 7 times in a row once.

And yeah, the final boss is a complete pushover. The game ends after the last of the 3 fights :V

Anyways, ordered Digital Devil Saga 2.