Author Topic: サナ物語 SNAAFU ADVENTURE (One More!) [RV.X Up]  (Read 3570 times)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
サナ物語 SNAAFU ADVENTURE (One More!) [RV.X Up]
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
サナ物語
SNAAFU ADVENTURE
A shameless community-based RPG, the first in the SNAAFU series made by アトリエ・姫君

SNAAFU ADVENTURE is a very stereotypical RPG done using completely cliche'd story elements and writing as a venue for me to fiddle around with RPG Maker VX, and is a vessel for me to get into the wonderful world of actually making a game project. As a result, almost everything in SNAAFU ADVENTURE is: 1) Not quite polished, 2) Plain bad, and 3) Just awkward and badly written (at times).

Download Links
SNAAFU ADVENTURE Rv.X (28th January, 2013) Requires RTP 117,610,136B
  • Island Trail Resort Conclusion - Beating Valentia at the Island Trail unlocks some additional content.
  • May have some regression bugs <-- Regression bugs present, don't bug me about any naming bugs you find because I've already found them
  • Character improvements always welcome
RPG Maker VX Run Time Package - 35.00MB

WARNING: Save files do NOT carry over properly.

-----

STORY:
The main protagonist, Sana, finds himself in the top of a mountain, and he has absolutely no idea how he got there. There is absolutely no writing to indicate how this is so, and it is assumed for the majority of the game that Sana is actually on an LSD-induced acid trip and the entire journey he has with the people he meets along the way are actually hallucinations. However, this appears not to be the case when several earth-shattering revelations reveal that whatever place he's been spirited away to is perfectly real and existent, albeit in another dimension. He initially meets and befriends out of completely nowhere three friendly folks, Purvis, Alstroemeria, and Hime, who believe Sana is the key to their vaguely implied problem. First, the party of four learn that an originally great Library nearby has been corrupted by some strange force, and when they find that the dastardly Dark Lady, Moerin, is behind such affairs, Sana finds himself thrust into a strange affair where he is completely lost. Sana encounters new friends, new enemies, and learns to take control of himself and spearhead the campaign to eventually do a very cliche'd and unoriginal "Save the goddamn World" routine.

The overarching story is that the world is governed by several beings similar to that of deities, called Keepers. Each Keeper has jurisdiction over several parts or portions of the world, and allows travel between them. The Dark Lady is an evil being originally weakened and held down by the Keeper, but due to laziness on the part of the Keepers, has caused the Lady to regain her strength and cause havoc. The Keeper's Templar, Roukanken, meets Sana and company and asks them to help her. Sana and his kind heart says HE ABSOLUTELY CAN'T REFUSE BECAUSE HE IS A PROTAGONIST OF A VERY LINEAR jRPG

-----

Character Introduction Post (Sept 19th, 2012)

Event 1 SS
Event 2 SS
World SS

-----

SS METER STRATEGIC SYSTEM

Battle 1 SS | Battle 2 SS | Battle 3 SS | Battle 4 SS

Battles are a simple speed, turn-based affair. However, every character has their own meter, called the SS Meter, which dictates the use of certain special skills once it has been filled up a certain amount. Use of these skills cost meter, and every character can store up to 3 meters for a total of 300.00%.

In this screenshot, Sana's meter is currently at 15.00%, and his particular skill Ittou Ryoudan (一刀両断) is greyed out as Sana lacks the meter for it (it requires 25% meter). However, in this screenshot, Sana has 40.00% meter stored and so Ittou Ryoudan can actually be used. 

In addition to this, when characters perform actions, you are informed of a damage estimate, sometimes using certain skills at a certain time may be a good idea or a bad idea. For example, when using an offensive move, and the word "DMG" turns into "HEAL," you know that the attack's element type is absorbed by the target. When the damage is inordinately high, you may figure the target is weak to the attack.

-----

SPOILERS for FORMER TESTERS

Spoiler:
After beating Valentia in the Merkel Pass, you may now fight Keepers Ruro, Edible and Kilgamayan a 2nd time to learn additional skills for Roukan if you've already learned a skill from them. Nobu just gives you the skill right off the bat. It's recommended to fight them in order. Furthermore, you may also collect Hime's Brisingamen somewhere in Helepolis' Mansion after this fight. You'll need to face a boss before you can get it. However, you need to have the Cunei Claymore or the event won't trigger. If you missed one of Hime's swords, you're SOL.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:36:43 PM by Tranceiki Yamaxanadu »

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
Re: サナ物語 SNAAFU ADVENTURE (One More!) [RV.X Up]
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 02:21:26 AM »
Ah, I was looking forward a revival of Snaafu for the longest time. I didn't get to enjoy it when it was first on it, so I'll be trying it ASAP!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:41:50 AM »
Eeeeee exciting! So, how close would you say this is to a "complete" version...? Saves likely not being able to transfer over (as is the case here) was what held me back from playing before despite large interest.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:51:00 AM »
Installed again, and am past Tark Fortress (though because inactive party members don't get experience points, I'm not quite ready for
Spoiler:
the second Hibachi fight
yet; Sapz is too low-leveled and A-F can't really survive long enough to lower its attack power). Won't really have any useful commentary until I get back to where I was before.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:56:16 AM »
Eeeeee exciting! So, how close would you say this is to a "complete" version...? Saves likely not being able to transfer over (as is the case here) was what held me back from playing before despite large interest.

Pretty close. The main story is about 90% complete.

I'm still looking for polish comments and to fix everything up to snuff.

EDIT:

New music/tracks for SNAAFU to come!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:46:20 AM by Tranceiki Yamaxanadu »

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:20:34 PM »
Being trying the demo, up to the Tower of Ruse.

I'm not sure if it's intended or just me, but skills seem way too powerful against early game encounters. Arc Impulse alone is able to obliterate pretty much any random mob, and the fact that SP regenerates on level up completely negates its high cost. Do enemies get dark-elemental resistance or higher magic defense later on to reduce the effectiveness of this spell?

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:48:16 AM »
Being trying the demo, up to the Tower of Ruse.

I'm not sure if it's intended or just me, but skills seem way too powerful against early game encounters. Arc Impulse alone is able to obliterate pretty much any random mob, and the fact that SP regenerates on level up completely negates its high cost. Do enemies get dark-elemental resistance or higher magic defense later on to reduce the effectiveness of this spell?

Leveling up is fast before level 10, and then considerably slows down until you finish the events in Pensiole and perhaps a bit later, furthermore, Arc Impulse is meant primarily for trivializing random encounters early on. Later on, enemies do get increasingly resistant and bulkier (such that I think at least two or more Impulses are needed per fight) , and a lot of bosses in the late-game either have resistance to pure darkness attacks or even absorb them.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 12:57:32 AM »
As fate would have it, I have been playing Dragon Quest 3 over the past two weeks (won my first Pachasi game, with two tickets still in my pocket).

I am really glad you've been developing this. It was fun three years ago, and these just keep getting better.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »
Quick comment; it seems like some of the bosses have really low MP, such that one or two MP-targeting attacks from an ATK-boosted Sana or Sapz can leave them with just the basic attack.
Spoiler:
Kilgamayan and Nobu
seem to be the main offenders, but I'm sure there are a few more.