Author Topic: Cosplaying dilemma!  (Read 26022 times)

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
Re: Cosplaying dilemma!
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:55 PM »
Mmmm... The light blue looks more accurate, but... I dunno, the dark blue looks like it'd go with the costume better.  So I'm gonna say dark blue. >.>
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »
@Gpop: I think the light wig is a little blue to be Miku-ish.

Seems Nitori's ultimate power is to switch her colors from light green to dark blue. :V

Go with the dark wig. Although the costume could be lighter. I'm being picky.

I actually emailed the costume makers to  see if they had any lighter alternatives that was closer to the actual shade, and i'm waiting for a response at this point. If I could get the costume lighter, I *might* go for the lighter wig, but if I'll get the darker wig otherwise. The darker and more saturate colors lend itself closer to this style of Nitori, which isn't a bad thing though.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2010, 03:58:37 AM »
:getdown: WIG WARNING  :getdown:

You are probably not going to be happy with how a straight wig like the ones you linked is going to look if you want  to put in those big ol' side ponytails without crazy wefting.  Ignore all this if this is just a color check, but to my knowledge Cosworx doesn't stock pigtail wigs and if they do they'd be $$$ (but they do ship fast and the wigs are nice)

http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_parting.html  third picture down is pretty much what the wig's going to look like in the back due to the way wigs are constructed, unless you opt for lower pigtails.

My (not so expert) opinion?  Get a wig that already either comes with the pigtails or has the clip on extensions (this is what the "proper" Nitori wig has, and most Miku wigs) if you want that high pigtail shooting-out-of-the-ear look.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2010, 04:29:36 PM »
I was leery about ordering the 'proper' Nitori wig because I was having a hard time finding out how trustworthy the sites that listed them were. That and thought it was pretty fishy they were all using the exact same picture. :/

My other restraint that I realized not long ago is that I have a larger than average head. 24", when the average is around 22-23, and I have thick hair on top of it. I searched around and learned that Cosworks and another place called Arda wigs makes larger than standard wigs.

http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_parting.html  third picture down is pretty much what the wig's going to look like in the back due to the way wigs are constructed, unless you opt for lower pigtails.

My (not so expert) opinion?  Get a wig that already either comes with the pigtails or has the clip on extensions (this is what the "proper" Nitori wig has, and most Miku wigs) if you want that high pigtail shooting-out-of-the-ear look.

Do you think it'd still look like that if they were high and kinda small pigtails?

Man, I didn't think it'd be this hard to find a blue wig with pigtails. ;_; Figured it'd be fairly common, if anything.

triangles

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2010, 10:28:16 PM »
Pig/pony tail wigs are really tricky.  The higher up you make it, the more the wig fibers are getting jostled from their default condition.

Re: larger head - wigs are made of elastic, so in theory if you get one that's too small you can snip it in a few places, and stitch in a  bit more elastic so it'll stretch more. http://www.apparentlyfemale.com/Tami%20stuff/HTM%20files/size_your_wig.htm

You also can try asking on the cosplay.com forums, they're going to be way more knowledgable than I could on this (the most wig styling I did was ask MJP to put braids in my Meiling wig  :V) 

Myukuu

• Hell's Traffic Accident
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2010, 02:54:01 AM »
For Nitori, I found this really cool wig
http://cgi.ebay.com/Macross-Frontier-Klan-Clip-on-Cosplay-wig-/270635549854?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item3f0322c49e
It's really expensive and has those long strands in the front.. but you could get rid of those. I just really like the shape of the ponytails :3

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2010, 08:37:03 AM »
Y'know, I didn't even think about using Ebay for wigs. :o Thanks! That wig would be great if not for the price. Probably going to be using ebay for accessories like backpack, gloves, etcetera.

And I didn't even think of this before somehow, but I could just order the long Cosworx wig and cut the excess for use as ponytail attachments, couldn't I? :o D'you think that would work, triangles-sensei?

triangles

« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2010, 10:00:53 AM »
Real quick because I'm on the way to work (at at 5:55am already later than I usually leave  :ohdear: but I don't have a 1st period class today so whatever)

eBay is good for wigs, I get the majority from there (unless there's a US shop with exactly what I need, selection is greater on eBay I noticed).  HOWEVER, shipping can be who knows what if you don't cough up for the faster shipping since most are coming from China.  I've had stuff arrive at both ends of the "7-28 business day" window.  So depending when the con is, you might have to move like right now now now on a wig.

You can make extensions from loose wig hair (it'd be better if you were doing that method to buy a short bob wig and then loose matching extensions so the back hairline looks right - again, wigs don't operate quite like hair) however how the heck to actually attach them in some sort of practical fashion is beyond me. 

Really, the best way is to get something predone (I had a predone Kagami wig when I got volunteered into Lucky Star shenanigans, it was worth the extra $$ to not have to figure out how the heck to make it work myself) either already in pigtails or with the clips, the one's I used were alligator clips so I have no idea how you'd make them yourself, but people with far more skills than I manage to.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2010, 10:02:45 PM »
An update! The costume has been ordered! The wig will be following shortly as soon as I get my Paypal account verified. :x

I did request some alterations to make the costume look better. Specificaly, requesting the skirt to be more flowing and less stiff, like this. Also, I requested more pockets to be sewn along the bottom (as well as having the pockets lowered closer to the hem). And lastly, I worked with them to get the costume in a lighter color that's closer to what it should be, and this is the swatch they provided me with. [attachurl=1]

So now all that's left is a backpack and rain boots. :3 And I've already found a good prospective backpack on ebay, too. I'm excited~

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2010, 10:22:23 PM »
nobu every time you post in here, you make me want to buy cosplay I can't afford : (

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess