Author Topic: Cosplaying dilemma!  (Read 26022 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: Cosplaying dilemma!
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »
You said you'd allow write ins so I wrote in my own poll option <3

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2010, 06:37:51 PM »
Or at least, not when there's still a possibility I can still pull off the androgynous/feminine look.
Start working on making yourself look feminine ahead of time, if you're worried about it.  You should totally do Suwako.  :V

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »
y u so mean Feito :(

@Momi: Short of hormones how would I pull that off? I could always stand to lose a little bit of weight, but I can only do so much about skeletal structure.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »
Goddamn.

I want to date a girl in that Murasa costume right now.

/loser

It's ridiculously cute, though.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
Um... Hmmm... I'd say go for the Murasa one (you'd look pretty cute in that hat, to be perfectly honest >.>), but only if you can get matching cullotes to replace the skirt with. >.>

Also, re: Looking more feminine... Um, for what it's worth, a little dab of make-up seems to do wonders.  I mean, not to the extent that you're just slapping on a ton of the stuff, but just a light touch here and there can help.  At least, in my experience anyways. >.>  Not saying it's, like, the be-all end-all solution, but...
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »
<_<; I probably do. It's a major insecurity of mine, but mainly just crops up when dressing female because I want to look feminine and cute and, well, not male.
Yeah, this can be a dilemma. You can have the standard bloke-in-a-dress, which can be funny at face value, and that's some people's schtick. The trap is on the opposite side, which benefits from both looking attractive in a very general way, plus the added humor when someone learns of the trap's actual gender. Still, there's that uncanny valley in between, where you simply have a creepy looking guy in makeup, which doesn't do much for anyone.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that genuine trapdom might be a lot of fun and I would love it for the humor if nothing else. Still, it's a wide chasm from bloke-in-a-dress to trapdom, and frankly I'm not sure if I'll survive should I try to jump it.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2010, 09:16:46 PM »
Still, there's that uncanny valley in between, where you simply have a creepy looking guy in makeup, which doesn't do much for anyone.

I think the big reason why the 'uncanny valley' effect comes up is the tendency for both parties to be socially awkward in a situation that doesn't come up very often. If either side can blow through the awkwardness and make the other feel more comfortable, then things become less stiff and more natural. My theory is that drag queens are less 'creepy' because of this, since they practically exude confidence by definition.

I don't think it's just an effect of 'how passable you look', because just because you can tell a crossdresser is male doesn't mean they are abhorrently unattractive. :v

That's what I'm kinda hoping for. Even if I don't pass, that my confidence and general ~*charisma*~ compensate and I can rock the look anyway, just in a different way that the very obviously male crossplayers do 8)

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »
Another thing is the way you carry yourself - the way you walk, the posture you stand in, and stuff like that. Although this would be very awkward advice in any other situation, I suggest you just watch some girls for a while. It's a subtle difference, but it really helps. Whatever you choose, I'm looking forward to it. I'm not too big on cosplaying, but I should give it a try someday. It looks really fun!

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2010, 04:27:59 AM »
I saw a Keine costume floating around some website, but I don't remember which. (Costume was sub-par, anyway.)
But I'm still leaning towards the Nitori cosplay, because she's just cute.

Also, holy crap I'm am so getting this.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2010, 04:35:12 AM »
Whoa, that's kind of cheap for such a good-looking outfit! You should go for it~

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2010, 04:39:54 AM »
I've noticed that all the Touhou costumes are 40% off. Is this for a limited time, or is this in the "40% off section"?
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2010, 05:19:46 AM »
As far as I can tell, *all* the costumes are 40% off. And I haven't been able to find anything that says when they started doing it, or when they'll stop. Also, up through Halloween there's free shipping for the US. :3 You should totally get it though.

Yeah, that Yukari costume is indeed pretty great. If I liked Yukari enough I'd actually have considered it. :x

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2010, 10:47:57 PM »
Why is there no Koishi cosplay there?

Why?

WHYYYYY!?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2010, 10:49:32 PM »
There is. It just doesn't want to be seen.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2010, 03:35:15 AM »
@Gpop: You can just get one commissioned. It apparently doesn't even take that long. Though, there's the disadvantage of might be more expensive and you don't get to see a pic first :<

An update! I've cemented my decision to go with Nitori (sorry to all you Sanae fans). Also, I think i'm going to pass on the secondary costume for now seeing as Nitori is going to run me ~$250 dollars according to initial estimates. x_x

Right now, it seems like the two major obstacles I have is finding good rainboots and a good wig. Any wig experts in the house? This seems to be my default if I have no other options, but i'm on the lookout for cheaper and/or better sites.

I suppose I can go with different boots if I can't find any suitable rainboots. Opinions on suitable alternatives would be greatly appreciated. She seems pretty suited to brown hiker/work/combat boots for some reason.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2010, 12:17:40 PM »
There is. It just doesn't want to be seen.

Gableh! :V

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2010, 11:23:39 PM »
That wig's probably your best bet, although you can also try a search for Hatsune Miku wigs since I've seen them in all shades of blue and/or green, and then just cut the ponytails down. 

http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_innocent.html is another option, as you can use hot water to take the curls out.  The benefit to this is you don't have to worry about clipping the ponytails on, but you might not be digging the two blue choices as much.  I've ordered from them before so I can vouch for their quality.  In general, wigs REALLY are you get what you pay for though, this isn't a place to skimp too much.

As for rainboots, what shoe size are you?  They're pretty trendy among the women folk and all over at places like Target, but if you're more than say a size 8 or 9 (which goes roughly to womens size 10 or 11) you're going to have a much harder time and will pretty much have to order online.  No idea what the market for menfolk rainboots looks like.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2010, 01:44:11 AM »
As for rainboots, what shoe size are you?  They're pretty trendy among the women folk and all over at places like Target, but if you're more than say a size 8 or 9 (which goes roughly to womens size 10 or 11) you're going to have a much harder time and will pretty much have to order online.  No idea what the market for menfolk rainboots looks like.
The general rule of thumb is that guys shoe sizes are, numerically speaking, listed as 1.5-2 sizes smaller than a girls size for a similar length. Both pairs of my moe moe Mary Janes are 12's while my normal shoe size is 10.5. The MJ's are a little snug, though.

If you're still not satisfied with a wig, there are some decent places to get wigs on ebay, despite how seedy that place can be for certain things. I've gotten good wigs from the stores Cosplaywig and Laurawu123 in the past. Don't think you'll need one considering what you have already, but if you're fussy and find something from either of those sellers, all the better.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2010, 03:34:06 AM »
I was thinking of you specifically when I made my last post triangles; glad you happened upon the thread :3

I tried on Target size 10 rainboots, and I fit in them pretty well. Unfortunately they didn't have any at the storefront. I usually wear a size 10 male(though its not a snug fit).

Two major problems I've encountered in my online searching: finding the right color and calf size. I have huge monster calves (17.5 inch circumference) and any rainboots with a straight column are likely not to fit. That's why I was thinking of the dark green/brown combat boots as an alternative, though I'd rather go for the more accurate option.

I did order one component that should be in within the week. Hip and bum padding, ehe~ :toot:

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2010, 10:53:39 PM »
Well rainboots are roomier by nature but as a wide calfed lady I feel your pain because I can't  fit into alot of cute shoes  :(

As for combat boots, look for jungle boots in particular, you can get them probably for ~$20 in some shade of brown I'd bet (I got black for a costume a few years back)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2010, 03:11:41 AM »
Well rainboots are roomier by nature but as a wide calfed lady I feel your pain because I can't  fit into alot of cute shoes  :(

Any rainboots i've seen that go up to about the knee also have the straight boot shafts (around 13.5" or so) that wouldn't fit my calves. Ideally I wanted ones that went up to the knee and flared out like normal rainboots so they could hide my big calves, but I haven't been able to find them.

As for the jungle boots, where did you get them? And did you get male or female ones?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2010, 03:45:23 AM »
Slightly off tangent http://mpzerocos.exblog.jp/14644370/#14644370_1
I so want to cosplay this :(

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2010, 03:46:35 AM »
Her eyes burn into my soul :ohdear:

Do it!

Drake

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2010, 03:47:57 AM »
lol photoshop

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2010, 03:48:23 AM »
Yeah if I lose 100 pounds maybe :ohdear:

lol photoshop

What part?  The eyes?  Those are just contacts.  Kipi wears them all the time.

Drake

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2010, 04:10:48 AM »
Oh ok.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2010, 07:10:41 AM »
I think i've settled on a wig, just not on a color. Which wig do you guys  think is best suited for Nitori (and would go best with the color of the costume)?

Light blue or dark blue?

Matsuri

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2010, 07:12:44 AM »
Dark blue looks better, I think, but that's just me.

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:09 AM »
Seems Nitori's ultimate power is to switch her colors from light green to dark blue. :V

Go with the dark wig. Although the costume could be lighter. I'm being picky. 

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »
I'd say dark blue. Light blue reminds me of Hatsune Miku too much