Author Topic: Touhou Project 17 「東方鬼形獣 ~ Wily Beast and Weakest Creature.」  (Read 181865 times)

CyberAngel

• Retired
Intentional or not, it's still stupid. It makes me think of "goats" rather than "beasts" or even "ghosts". So yeah, you're aided by a wolf goat, otter goat and eagle goat, deal with it.

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
Intentional or not, it's still stupid. It makes me think of "goats" rather than "beasts" or even "ghosts". So yeah, you're aided by a wolf goat, otter goat and eagle goat, deal with it.
*crazy theory* What if that's a hint to another part of the plot or a boss?

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
Occam's Razor says it's a typo.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

G O A S T
O
A
S
T

Anyways, we are finally getting Touhou 17! Can't wait for it to come out!
heyo

Perhaps one of the bosses is a Amikiri if how the title looks is anything to go by. (not likely to be a final stage or a ex stage boss or really anything beyond a 3rd stage boss imho, that is if the title is anything to go by.) But i feel like there is a decent chance one of the bosses could be a Amikiri? i dunno. :wat:

Also self-mandatory Mima will be in Touhou 17.

Real talk though, i have a feeling we will see potentially a mole yokai, a earthworm yokai, and or a bat yokai perhaps among other cave/subterranean dwellers? On the other hand i do feel like the first couple of stages will be a reference to SA with like either Okuu or Rin showing up and giving some direction or some of the other bosses helping in the directional sense. (Satori comes to mind personally)

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
I want this.
Also looking at main menu. Spell Practice is there. Hooray.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Yaaay Youmu's back! Hopefully her shot isn't as awkward to control as in TD - she may have something more "normal" to fit with the new hypers, which btw I'm stoked over if they're really more like DOJ's hypers than TD's. And with this game, Youmu has now been playable in as many of the shooters as Sakuya, can you believe that? :V

I'm also behind the idea that "goast" is a typo. Would be typical of him, really.

And the way the title is set up, maybe we'll have another dual final boss, or barring that, dual antagonists in separate stages? May 5 can't come soon enough.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
I know what I need to line up for at Reitaisai this year.

Goast is probably another typo, but sometimes we have these Faily moments.  It's not like he's an Evel person for that or anything.

Jokes aside, I'm so excited!!  Cinco de Mayo can't come any sooner!!  I'm particularly excited that he mentioned it'll be a 'darker' game.  I know that ZUN's wording with that is a bit funny (he said that HSiFS Stage 5 was supposed to be scary or something), but still, all of those big toothy maws + hell + reddish themes makes it sound pretty unique.  I'm looking forward to what he'll come up with this time!

Bugger me, I haven't been up to date with the official manga but I'm guessing that 17's setting/plot will be based on manga setting or something?

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Bugger me, I haven't been up to date with the official manga but I'm guessing that 17's setting/plot will be based on manga setting or something?

It's still unclear, but highly likely. There's been signs of something big coming from hell since Visionary Fairies in Shrine started back in 2016, and a lot of big stuff related to it has been the main feature of the last three or so chapters of both that and Wild and Horned Hermit. However, none of it has yet come to a firm conclusion, so if you want to catch up on things, now's the time.

As for the new game, I'm greatly excited to see a game like this. We haven't seen hell since the very first Touhou game, and I imagine we'll see a lot more than we did back then. Hoping ZUN knocks this one out of the park.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

WILY
BEAST
AND
WEAKEST
CREATURE

is a pretty satisfying phrase to say out loud.

That logo is insane.

Somewhat bummed about just Youmu again. Should have been an animal character instead, or even a showing of some Chireiden characters. This would have been the perfect opportunity to make a playable Satori.

That aside, CROSS BEAST REIMU, time to BEAST OUT

I must say, Youmu looks pretty adorable!  Glad to see her back...she's up there on my favorite characters list.

CyberAngel

• Retired

It does seem that this is what the written works have been hinting at, and VFiS might actually lead into this game. But WaHH (the new chapter is out today, btw) looks like it'll resolve itself before long. If not and Kasen is somehow in this game, well, that'll feel too lame and predictable, honestly. Her current plotline drags on for way too long as it is, thankyouverymuch.

Aeteas

• Nonsensical
These screenshots give more information than the HSiFS ones, so I guess it's time to speculate wildly about gameplay mechanics. It's kind of pointless since ZUN will probably change a lot of things, and most of it will be clear after the game releases. But it's fun, so whatever.

Well, for starters, it seems like getting 5 animal items triggers a hyper. Getting mostly red wolf items triggers the wolf mode, and for Reimu, it seems like it's based on the focused shot. And the screenshot with the eagle mode seems like it's based on the Marisa's unfocused laser shot. My guess is that all characters have three unique hyper modes, so presumably Reimu's eagle mode shot would be based on homing amulets, and Marisa's wolf mode shot would be based on magic missiles. Then the otter mode would revolve around the bomb, but I'm not sure how that would work. It could just have an attack that's based on the bomb, or it could be something like a shield that gives you a free bomb when you get hit. I'm not sure what ZUN would come up with.

It also seems like you can use power items and point items as substitutes for animal items. Presumably, power items substitute for wolf items, and point items substitute for eagle items, since that makes the most sense colorwise. I'm guessing the basic idea is like DDC where you have to autocollect a lot of items at once. Then you can use them to charge your hyper, and whether it's counts as red items or blue items depends on the exact counts of the items you collect. I also noticed that in the first gameplay screenshot, there's actually a lot of items. There usually aren't any enemies that drop that many items in the early game, so I'm guessing that killing enemies with one of these hypers will increase the number of items that get dropped. If I'm correct so far, that means there might be some hyper recharge shenanigans where you kill lots of enemies as your hyper runs out and then autocollect the items to get to your next hyper faster. HSiFS was more of a bullet cancelling game, and LoLK was more of grazing game, so it would make sense for this game to be more an item collection based game or something else.

It also seems like the point item value in this game isn't tied to just grazing, so hypers probably also increase the PIV somehow. Different modes probably have different effects, but I can't predict anything at this point. I wonder how the rest of the scoring system fits around this. Reimu's, Marisa's, and Youmu's bombs aren't made to bombgraze with, and I don't think think they're that good for cancelling bullets either, so maybe bombs in scoreruns are mostly for autocollecting and killing enemies. That would also mean that scoring during bosses would probably involve manual grazing, spell card bonuses, and/or routing hypers at particular moments. Spell card bonuses were pretty low in the last two games, so it wouldn't surprise me if ZUN made them higher in this game, especially if boss milking is less prominent. Having said all that, I personally think ZUN would come up with something different for boss scoring. I just don't know what it would be.

It seems life pieces are back. From the screenshots, it doesn't look there's any mechanics in the stages that gives life pieces unless ZUN just didn't use them. There is one bomb piece, but that's probably dropped by the midboss. If ZUN doesn't change the life piece situation, there might not be many lives in this game. ZUN changing things seems like the most likely case to me, though.

I wonder how much of this I got right.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
i have resurrected my forum account from the dead to post this message

WOO NEW GAME

and goast

and wow that logo is square

and reimu's gohei just keeps getting longer with each game
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
and reimu's gohei just keeps getting longer with each game
I think it's basically a staff now :V

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
WARNING: The below speculation contains major spoilers for WaHH. Do not read if you do not wish to be spoilt.

Spoiler:
So; recent events in WaHH reveal that Kasen is basically evil all along, and is an Oni that resides in Hell. One of her abilities is control/empathy with animals, as previously shown.

At more or less the exact same time; Touhou 17 is revealed, where animals from Hell are coming to basically invade Gensokyo.

Bit of a co-incidence; don't you think?

I'd say the odds are extremely high that Kasen is either the Stage 6 or EX boss of this game. Especially as ZUN has wanted to use her as an EX boss before but decided against it.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
WARNING: The below speculation contains major spoilers for WaHH. Do not read if you do not wish to be spoilt.

Spoiler:
So; recent events in WaHH reveal that Kasen is basically evil all along, and is an Oni that resides in Hell. One of her abilities is control/empathy with animals, as previously shown.

At more or less the exact same time; Touhou 17 is revealed, where animals from Hell are coming to basically invade Gensokyo.

Bit of a co-incidence; don't you think?

I'd say the odds are extremely high that Kasen is either the Stage 6 or EX boss of this game. Especially as ZUN has wanted to use her as an EX boss before but decided against it.
The chances of a major game boss NOT being a new character is extremely low, even if she hasn't had a bullet hell appearance before.
Spoiler:
Also, that plot will probably be wrapped up mostly in-manga. Still, she might end up making a midboss appearance for one of those, the correlation definitely is there. (And since she hasn't had a bullet hell appearance, stage 4~5 isn't entirely out of the question, albeit unlikely)
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
The chances of a major game boss NOT being a new character is extremely low, even if she hasn't had a bullet hell appearance before.
Spoiler:
Also, that plot will probably be wrapped up mostly in-manga. Still, she might end up making a midboss appearance for one of those, the correlation definitely is there. (And since she hasn't had a bullet hell appearance, stage 4~5 isn't entirely out of the question, albeit unlikely)
Prior to Touhou 16; we'd have said the chance of the Extra Stage boss literally being the Stage 6 boss was low as well.

Nothing is out of the question.

Also I raise you the various Marisa/Reimu fights; Yuyuko in TD and Aya in MoF. It's not unheard of, and actually seems to occur every few games. None of them have been beyond Stage 4 however. [Especially since in a standard Touhou game Marisa is seemingly forbidden from being anything except an effective Stage 4 boss. She even manages this in GFW since there's only 3 stages so the Extra is Stage 4...]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:43:35 AM by Raikaria »

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

I think it would be very disappointing for the Ex or Stage 6 boss to be a known character.

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
There seems to be something written under the life/bomb gauges, it looks like it's in katakana but It's pretty blurry. Anyone?

PyuDi

• daily touhou~
  • danmakufu!
There seems to be something written under the life/bomb gauges, it looks like it's in katakana but It's pretty blurry. Anyone?

That seems like "かけら", meaning "pieces".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:00:06 PM by PyuDi »

Piranha

• Hungry Ghost
OMG it's time again! Can't believe how excited I am. Has it really been 2 years since TH16?!

Looks really good for now, can't wait to hear the new tracks and see the new characters, as usual. :derp:
Normal 1cc: EoSD (All), PCB (All), IN (All teams), PoFV (Reimu), MoF (All), SA (ReimuA/ReimuB)
Extra stages cleared: EoSD (ReimuB), PCB (ReimuB)
StB: Level 6-X left
My Replays

Prior to Touhou 16; we'd have said the chance of the Extra Stage boss literally being the Stage 6 boss was low as well.

Also I raise you the various Marisa/Reimu fights; Yuyuko in TD and Aya in MoF. It's not unheard of, and actually seems to occur every few games. None of them have been beyond Stage 4 however. [Especially since in a standard Touhou game Marisa is seemingly forbidden from being anything except an effective Stage 4 boss. She even manages this in GFW since there's only 3 stages so the Extra is Stage 4...]
The chances of Kasen showing up somewhere in game is reasonable enough, but the chances of her being the final or extra boss are very low.

Also, I'm preeeeetty sure the thing about wanting to make her a boss in TD was referring to extra MIDboss, not the full on boss.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
I mean, calling Junko the ex boss is quite a bit of a stretch... she only makes a couple cameo appearances. :P

Yuyuko as a stage 1 boss was pretty hilarious tho'.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
I think he means Okina.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
I mean, calling Junko the ex boss is quite a bit of a stretch... she only makes a couple cameo appearances. :P

Yuyuko as a stage 1 boss was pretty hilarious tho'.

16 Serela. That's Okina.

Although yeah you could probobly count Junko as well somewhat.

Hell; if you want to count side games, Reimu; Byakuren and Miko are the final bosses of Hopeless Masqurade, and Marisa is the EX boss of GFW.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
confirmed I can't count

Having the final boss reappear as the extra boss makes a certain amount of sense. Having the stage 5, final, or extra boss be a character from another game really doesn't. The whole point of those slots is to introduce new characters: a mastermind, a second-in-command, and (usually) someone who is related to the mastermind or to the incident. From Koumakyou to Tenkuushou, this has not changed. Even the fighting games and Kaeiduka (which really should be a .X game) always introduce a new character or two as the final boss. The other sidegames typically don't, because they're not supposed to. This is a very clear pattern that one can rely on.

Aside from Matara, the closest thing to an exception for any of this is Mamizou, who has little to do with either the rest of the Shinreibyou cast nor with the incident (directly, anyway), and instead has to do with the cast of the previous game. A borderline exception is Raiko, who isn't close with either Seija or Shinmyoumaru, and appears only as a result of the incident in her game. Of course, these are both new characters. Matara is also still a new character, even if she appears in her game two separate times.

Not only that, but we're going into uncharted territory. New Hell has rarely been spoken of in the series before this new game and the new Ibarakasen chapters; Hecatia was the first time in ages that the topic came up in such a big way (which is probably why she showed up in the latest VFiS chapter). Even before now, Hecatia mostly talked about the history of "Hell" in general, rather than anything along the lines of a recent incident like this new game. Why would a character we already know appear here? Never mind that the strong animal youkai we know are characters like Utsuho, Nue, Mamizou, and Ran, all of which would prefer to stay out of New Hell if they can help it. I doubt ZUN wants to write some weird corruption story. Goodness, could you imagine some ridiculous corruption story for Keine or something? Disgusting. People looking for strange fanfic material can start right there.

TL;DR: No, you're not getting Mima. Sorry. Not without a substantial redesign that makes her into a new character, like what happened with Alice and Yuka (and Byakuren, who might as well be a redesign for Shinki).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:11:33 PM by Despatche »