Author Topic: [UT99/2k4] MoTK server info/general discussion  (Read 28980 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: [UT99/2K4] General discussion
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 05:19:21 AM »
For UT2k4 you're going to want to have the following things installed.  CBP1 and CBP2 Volume 1 and 2 and the UT2004 Mega Pack  (which includes patch 3369 and the ECE bonus pack).  You can find them all here.
http://downloads.unrealadmin.org/UT2004/BonusPack/

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: [UT99/2k4] General discussion
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 08:14:29 AM »
Updated server info.  All 3 servers are now live, no need to poke me to swap between UT99 and UT2k4.  On dedicated nights I may shut down the other ones to free resources (ex. on UT99 night I'll kill the UT2k4 servers).

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Dark

• wait wat
  • this is some text
Re: [UT99/2k4] MoTK server info/general discussion
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 06:07:45 AM »
im probably going to get trolled but where's my UT3? im broke atm and can't get either 99 or 2k4 on steam due to lack of funds.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 06:54:43 AM »
Not enough people have it and/or play it.  I'd put it up if enough people cared but I doubt it.

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2011, 07:19:27 AM »
UT2k4 doesn't have the ability to type in the server using Open Location the way UT99 does in the Multiplayer Tab.
Opening the console using Tab, then typing: open henrietta.shrinemaiden.org, or 72.14.189.207:7666 works.
This might seem obvious to some, but it might help to include it in the server information to make sure nobody has problems joining.

Also, which IRC channel is being used for UT discussion?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 07:29:40 AM »
In UT2k4 you hit right click when in the Favorites tab to add favorites/open location.

As for IRC channel right now I'm just asking people in #shrinemaiden/#touhou-meido/#dots-meido to play with me.  I think Pesco wants to run a contest to decide the chan name for the FPS stuff.  We will have a schedule up I think later next week for when we're going to organize game nights.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2011, 07:37:07 AM »
The UT tourney will give the winner naming rights for the new general GBA channel. #dots-meido is still tied a bit to #t-m by name. I think a dissociation from it is reasonable now.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »
How Multi CTF is played:

Normally you got 2 teams in CTF,  RED and BLUE. MCTF adds 2 more colours: GOLD and GREEN

"So?" You would say, just capture flags? Yes and No. In MCTF, if you capture an enemy flag. You score a point against them. Not a score for your own team. The team with LOWEST score is the leading team. That is why in MCTF people make or destroy temporarily alliances. Your own flag is always priority! Always defend it and return it.  The flag is not automatically returned, you need to walk your OWN flag BACK to base.

Example [1]: 
RED: 4
BLUE: 7
GOLD:  6
GREEN: 8

Red is the leading team so think of the following scenarios:
- Steal everybody's flag and capture them all to not care.
- You might want to steal RED's flag, and capture their's only.
- Make the enemy get it by NOT killing them.
- Steal RED flag and intentionally go to an enemy base who can kill you off and capture it for you.

You don't always have to kill off your enemy you see. Check his team: "What colour is this guy? Blue? Oh I should not kill him then."

MCTF is more than just randomly shooting players and taking flags. You need to adapt your strategy every time the score changes.

Sometimes also you don't want to return your own flag on its spot.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:22:59 PM by Helepolis »

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »
Though I noticed, I could only see the score against the red, green and blue team, not the score of the yellow team. Is that normal, is something wrong with my hud, or is it something else?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »
Just the placing of the HUD I think.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 10:53:35 PM »
Ok! Server number in, random bits installed. I'm all set to play.

So, when are we playing again?  :3 I want to see how good you all are. (And how much I'll either suck or lag.)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 11:06:10 PM »
You already missed it. We played, had fun, and went off to sleep/do other stuff.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2011, 11:34:09 PM »
I missed my UT99 goodness?!

... ... ...

CURSE YOU REAL LIFE! ><

[And I feel like a fool. Please tell me there'll be another.  :ohdear:]

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »
Get on IRC and call people to play. I'm sure you'll get a few that oblige.

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:40 AM »
I heard something about an ini-config file for UT99?
Maybe someone can upload it or add a description on some usefull Keybindings (thirdperson view and such things)

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2011, 09:56:24 AM »
Third-person view would be either 2 or 3 on your keypad by default.

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »
didn't work thought... I didn't change the setting ^^

Team Capture the Flag was fun yesterday ^^, looking forward to play Thievery with you guys.

btw, don't give me an openmap with sniper rifle xD, having a 6300 DPI mouse is like having haxx

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2011, 01:37:04 PM »
Team Capture the Flag was fun yesterday ^^, looking forward to play Thievery with you guys.
Oh yeah, could someone make a detailed post on how Thievery works, akin to the one about MCTF? That would be greatly helpful.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
How to play Thievery and be a good Thief/Guard

Thievery is based on the famous old ownage movie "Thief". Objectives: Thieves rob areas, guards have to protect the loot. That is it. So what the hell is so fun about that?

First of all, thieves are EXTREMELY WEAK to guard attacks. Arrows will hurt you like hell and their maces will bash your heads in before you can even fight back. So what do you do? Exactly, act like a thief and hide, creep, sneak, cheat to get your loot. Because if you make noise, or walk in the light, you will be seen and thus killed. Because thieves are invisible in the shadows!

Game modes
Thievery has 2 game modes (other one isn't working):
- Cooperative mode. All human players fight vs AI guards.
- Thieves vs Guards. Classic mode where the minority is thief and majority is guards. The more human players, the less AI guards.

There is NO AI THIEF.

Game play
- Each map has mostly 2 objectives. Find X amount of loot and find something else/kill something. You thief your way in, and your way out.
- Press O to see your objectives (for both guards and thieves).
- Thieves win if they meet their objectives or kill all guards (unless this is disabled b y the admin).
- Guards win if the time is over, or kill all thieves and cannot respawn any more.

In both modes, the thieves and guards have lives. Because it is not an endless combat. Depending on the map size and admin controls, mostly thieves have like 1-2 lives if there is a full house. The more thieves/guards, the less lives each side has.  Below here the basic HUD of thieves and guards. (Guards do not have the light at the bottom of the screen)

[attach=1]

The light at the bottom of the screen shows how visible you are. If it is dark (unlit) you are totally invisible. Your team mates will be bit red-dish colour to you, but not to enemy guards. If your allies become visible, their red transparency will change into regular skin. Guards cannot spot you if your light is little lit, but humans will so be careful. Don't do stupid things.

Your health can be restored with food and potions.

Loot is collected by thieving. Duh.

VERY IMPORTANT NEVER FORGET
Thievery has one thing that you will miss in the beginning and make you rage. (or you teammates). If you RIGHTCLICK you are playing thus cannot buy items any more. So if you spawn after death or new map, FIRST ALWAYS HIT THE [ V ] button to purchase items.

Control and movement
Control is EXTREMELY important in thievery. Because it will affect your visibility. See below here all the info in short summary. Weapons you currently use also influence your speed.

- Left mouse , fire / hit  / swing.
- Lean left/right,  lean around the corners without breaking your actual position. Example: the corner is bright, but your position is not -> lean around corner == you are not exposed. You can also fire like this stuff.
- Right mouse, interact / use items / collect loot or items.
- Scroll , change between items in inventory.

- Walk forward, back, left or right. (makes no noise) if you are not carrying a bow, you will be totally invisible in the shadow (black jack club for example). Else, you will be slightly visible which is enough to spot you.
- Run (must be combined with mouse control.) You will dash but make ALOT of noise. AI Guards nearby will be alerted. Also your invisibility is slightly broken, enough to make humans see you.
- Crouch/creep, no matter what weapon you use, it will keep you invisible. Unless you enter the light. Crouching is fucking slow but also handy.
- Jump , the most difficult to master. The point is, if you want to reach higher places HOLD the jump button. If correct, your character will kind of float up and grunt. You will make NOISE.

Items and weapons
- Sword/Dagger -> Don't buy a sword or dagger. it sucks and waste of money (goes both for guards and thieves). Just don't do it.
- Mace -> As guard, buy a mace because it rocks. It smashes thieves to dust in seconds. (guard only)
- Black jack club (thief) -> Standard weapon of thieves. You get it for free. It is good for knocking out guards. It also does not break your full invisibility.
- Bows -> Thieves have bows and guards have crossbows. Difference: Bows need to be knocked, makes noise. Crossbows insta fire but have cooldown. Crossbows are more accurate as well.
- Helm -> Guard only, disables enemy thieves from knocking you out. Your helm can break after 1-2 hits by a club or arrow.

- Supply Chest
(special guard only). Every game, one person carries the supply chest for the guard team. You can place/repick this up. Right clicking the chest once opens it up and refills your standard bolts and flares. Nothing else. Spamming right click on it will pick up the chest (both thief and guards can pick it up). You can already sense Thieves can perfectly troll you by removing it. Therefore make sure the chest is somewhere safe. Re-using the supply chest has a delay timer of 160s or something.

- Arrow types (Thief)
> Broad arrow -> Meant for killing. Does most damage.
> Water arrow  -> Used to extinguish torches to create shadows.
> Vine arrow -> Fire this into wood and it will create a rope you can climb. Can be collected with right mouse.
> Moss arrow -> Creates moss on the floor which slows down movement.
> Crack arrow -> Fires drugs arrow, smoking the location. Makes the victim go high if they run through it or are hit by it. Below, crack arrow in effect:
> Decoy arrow -> Creates a visible fake thief at location. Good for luring AI guards or humans (if they fall for it)

[attach=2]
Shoot out torches with your water arrows.

[attach=4]
Somebody is on crack yo.

- Arrow types (Guard)
> Standard bolt -> meant for killing. Does most damage.
> Tag bolt -> Fires a flare arrow. If you hit a thief, he will be visible until it wears off. Good for marking them. AI guards will use this on your ass often.
> Paralyse bolt -> Enemy thief becomes SLOW LIKE HELL (including turn around rate etc).
> Fire bolt -> creates light and explodes into cluster fire.

- Lockpick, thieves only. Used to lockpick doors, grates etc. Scroll to your lockpick and aim for the doorknob or middle of the door, press and hold rightmouse until you here clicking. Keep it held down until the door opens. If it doesn't open, it will report: "too difficult to pick", it means the map designer doesn't want you to go through here.
- Flashbomb (thief). Turns enemy AI/human totally blind (its like crack arrow but your entire screen goes white).
- Caltrop (guard). Place these to make thieves hurt themselves. Guards can safely walk through.
- Mine (guard). Makes thieves go BOOM DA ZE.
- Whistler (guard). It can spot thieves and will blow an noticeable whistle which alerts everybody nearby.
- Flare (guard/thief). .... you know what they do. Can be held or thrown and then picked back up using right mouse. FLARES CAN RELIT TORCHES. Light a flare, aim for the torch, wait for the smoke to appear then it will light up.

- Health potion (both), heals good amount of health. Takes time to heal up.
- Speed potion (both), makes you burst in speed for moment (timer on the right)
- Invisibility potion (thief), turns you invisible for a moment (even if you are in the light) DOES NOT WORK IF YOU ARE TAGGED, LIKE HEADCRABS OFTEN IS.
- Catfall potion (thief), you take no fall damage.
- Breathing potion (thief), you can last underwater longer.
- Rations (both), cheese, to heal bit life.

Guards can pick up enemy thief loot, but they cannot drink the potions which aren't meant for them. They will toss it away if used.

AI
First of all, the AI is fucking smart. Do not think you can just charge in and win. They will destroy you. The only thing is they cannot sense like humans, so they will always behave like AI. AI has 3 alert modes: Patrolling/guarding -> Nervous -> Alert.

- If the guard is alert, you are pretty much screwed. He will destroy you and actively call for help or raise alarm. He becomes alert if you are visible in front of him or if they see a dead body on the floor. Alert guards can also look around often while scanning the area. They are noticed by their stressed movement. If you are in target they will shout like: "I will punch you so full of holes (ry"
- Nervous guards, they will become nervous if they hear something or get shot from the shadows. They also become nervous if they see blood footprints. A nervous guard can light flares to scan an area. Typically a nervous guard will walk carefully around and talk like "what's that sound?". After a while, it might go back to guard mode saying stuff like: "Hmpf, must have been a rat".
- Guard mode, they will patrol or hold a position. Human players on guard team can tell a guard what to do. Right click a guard to open AI interface.

KNOCKING OUT
Only works on guards with NO HELMET. If you want to knock out a human player, nervous or regular guard, sneak up on them and hit them on the back of their head with your club.

YOU CANNOT KNOCK OUT ALERT GUARDS. DON'T EVEN TRY IT. DON'T DORMIO. THIS WILL HAPPEN TO YOU:

[attach=3]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:21:57 PM by Helepolis »

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
YOU CANNOT KNOCK OUT ALERT GUARDS. DON'T EVEN TRY IT. DON'T DORMIO. THIS WILL HAPPEN TO YOU:
I CAN DO WHAT I FEEL LIKE, YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN OR CAN'T DO.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2011, 06:48:23 AM »
Let us do CFTM + Thievery tomorrow, around late night for GMT people.

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2011, 07:24:48 AM »
In for Gmt -7

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2011, 08:08:07 AM »
Hele should be working on organizing that UT tournament.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2011, 03:37:10 PM »
Hele should be working on organizing that UT tournament.
First we need more popularity.

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
CFTM was Capture the Flag Team Match right?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2011, 03:43:52 PM »
Ye, with four teams instead of two. Massive mayhem.

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2011, 05:33:16 AM »
Do you people still play a  UT99 mod i highly recommend   Jailbreak

http://www.moddb.com/mods/ut-jailbreak/downloads (I'd link their actual site but apparently beyond-unreal had a massive crash that screwed up most of their databases and they are STILL recovering from that which borked the download links on the creators pages.)

look for the UT Jailbreak III Gold FULL UMod(auto-installer) or Raw(zip with the mod files for manual install) depending on how you want to install it.

but i can link their about page

http://jailbreak.beyondunreal.com/?q=features/about

it's a team based game were the goal is to kill the other team to send their members to jail once all members of a team are in jail they are killed and your team scores a point but some maps allow for escape routes  out of the jail and all maps have a mini arena that from time to time jailed members of the 2 teams will fight and who ever wins that gets freedom to be back in the main gameplay.

wooterz

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »
Does this still happen? Because I just found my copy of Totally Unreal :V

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2011, 08:48:58 PM »
Get on the IRC channel and add for UT. Works best if Hele is around but others might play too.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2011, 05:53:45 AM »
We should do some UT end of this week or something again. DM and some thievery. And if we got enough players, maybe some CTF/DOM.