Author Topic: Keine Quest (Part 3): Broken History  (Read 70118 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Keine Quest (Part 3): Broken History
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 02:28:16 AM »
>Calming breath.
>"Will you please take us to the Princess now?"

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 02:34:57 AM »
>Calming breath.
>"Will you please take us to the Princess now?"

>You take a deep breath. Honestly, you're getting tired of people not believing you.
>"No." She pauses, and considers. "But if you will just remain where you are, Eirin should be here shortly. You can attempt to convince her if you want."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 02:59:04 AM »
>"Mpkou, do you feel like this all the time?"
>Another deep breath.
>"And how do we know it's not just some trick of yours? We've laid our cards on the table, when really we don't even owe you that, as you're the ones who've forced us to-"
>Another breath.
>"No, this isn't achieving anything. But we have shown you a great deal of faith and forbearance. Perhaps you could work with us just a little? You may recall I mentioned time is of the essence. And that stupid barrier has give us a very frustrating night, like you wouldn't believe."

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 03:13:36 AM »
>"Mpkou, do you feel like this all the time?"

>"Sometimes," she grumbles, sounding none too happy, herself.

>Another deep breath.
>"And how do we know it's not just some trick of yours? We've laid our cards on the table, when really we don't even owe you that, as you're the ones who've forced us to-"
>Another breath.
>"No, this isn't achieving anything. But we have shown you a great deal of faith and forbearance. Perhaps you could work with us just a little? You may recall I mentioned time is of the essence. And that stupid barrier has give us a very frustrating night, like you wouldn't believe."

>"I believe I'm being lenient by not having fired on you already; I doubt anyone would complain if I had. And if you think you don't even owe us an explanation for breaking into our house... I don't know what to say to that. It's pretty nervy to complain that our defenses made it difficult for you to get here. That is why they're there, you know." She pauses. "Look, you can wait a few more moments for Eirin, or you can attempt to force your way past me or flee. Either of those last two options will lead to us fighting. If you truly wish to avoid that, you can hold still. Whatever rush you're in, you can spare that much time."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 03:26:54 AM »
>Deep breath. Don't tell her the only one benefiting from the lack of fighting is her and her home.
>"I'll save it for Eirin. She's more to blame than you. I've antagonized you enough."

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 03:35:54 AM »
>Deep breath. Don't tell her the only one benefiting from the lack of fighting is her and her home.

>As satisfying as that might be to say, you have to wonder if she'd even agree at this point.

>"I'll save it for Eirin. She's more to blame than you. I've antagonized you enough."

>Reisen scowls at you, but says nothing.
>A minute or so later, you hear footsteps in the hallway. "Udonge?" a voice calls out.
>"I'm over here," Reisen replies.
>"And the intruders?" you hear her walking towards you.
>"They're...." she glares at you, then sighs. "They're also over here."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 03:45:37 AM »
>While she's approaching.
>"Hello Eirin, we need to talk. Preferably on the way to seeing the Princess."

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 04:00:35 AM »
>While she's approaching.
>"Hello Eirin, we need to talk. Preferably on the way to seeing the Princess."

>"And they're still conscious, Udonge?" she says, her tone rather unconcerned, and making no acknowledgment of your statement.
>"....yes, master."
>"Why is that?"
>"Well they said it was important that they-"
>"And you listened?" Eirin cuts her off. "You know full well that-"
>"Dammit, woman, get over yourself!" Mokou snaps, "And stop talking about us like we're not fuckin' here!"
>"Mokou..." Eirin replies coldly, as she steps into sight. "I suppose I should have expected you'd eventually find a way in here."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 04:14:43 AM »
>Put a hand on Mokou's arm. "Thank you, but that's enough for now."
>Look to Eirin. "Tell me, how sensitive are you to the flow of time, and changes in it? I've never quite understood your sensibilities in that regard, but it might make things easier if you are."

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 04:31:29 AM »
>Put a hand on Mokou's arm. "Thank you, but that's enough for now."

>Mokou grumbles, but seems to back down a little.
>Eirin chuckles, a thin and not at all light-hearted sound. "Now, there's a surprise."
>"What's it to ya?" Mokou snaps.

>Look to Eirin. "Tell me, how sensitive are you to the flow of time, and changes in it? I've never quite understood your sensibilities in that regard, but it might make things easier if you are."

>"Before I answer any question of yours," Eirin replies, "you will tell me exactly how you reached this place."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 04:41:50 AM »
>"That's not time sensitive, this is. But long story short, we got the help of an oni to power through. I'll explain in greater detail later, but please understand we do not have time right now."

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 04:45:15 AM »
>"That's not time sensitive, this is. But long story short, we got the help of an oni to power through. I'll explain in greater detail later, but please understand we do not have time right now."

>"An oni?" She sounds rather taken back by this, and pauses, seemingly considering. "And why are you so short on time?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 04:54:41 AM »
>"We have until the moon sets to set things right. Then we'll have to wait another month. And given I've already been attack by some sort of extra-dimensional fiend once tonight, I might not have that kind of time. As you're suspecting, I'd hope, this is a long story."

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 04:58:40 AM »
>"We have until the moon sets to set things right. Then we'll have to wait another month. And given I've already been attack by some sort of extra-dimensional fiend once tonight, I might not have that kind of time. As you're suspecting, I'd hope, this is a long story."

>"It does sound that way. Or an incredibly fanciful one. And the moon is important in all this because....?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 05:05:09 AM »
>"I assume you know what a hakutaku is. I suspect you can figure out what a were-hakutaku is. That's what I am. And a significant portion of this issue is involved with history being altered."
>We'll leave out the 'I think' that should be at the end.

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 05:13:29 AM »
>"I assume you know what a hakutaku is. I suspect you can figure out what a were-hakutaku is. That's what I am. And a significant portion of this issue is involved with history being altered."

>"And I suppose you're going to say that you've come here to restore the moon so that your powers can manifest fully? This would be the night of the full moon, after all."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2010, 05:48:58 AM »
>"Precisely. And before you say it, there's no danger to you. You never originally completed the spell. Nothing happened."

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 06:00:15 AM »
>"Precisely. And before you say it, there's no danger to you. You never originally completed the spell. Nothing happened."

>"That's a very convenient set of facts you ask me to accept on faith." She glances at Mokou. "And you're not exactly helping your credibility by bringing her along."
>"Hey!" Mokou protests.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 06:15:16 AM »
>"Hasn't the fact she hasn't burned the damn place down already more or less established there's something greater than a simple raid going on? Because, quite frankly, I imagine she would be pretty happy to do that just for your ward on the forest alone if she felt like indulging her whims."

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 06:36:50 AM »
>"Hasn't the fact she hasn't burned the damn place down already more or less established there's something greater than a simple raid going on? Because, quite frankly, I imagine she would be pretty happy to do that just for your ward on the forest alone if she felt like indulging her whims."

>Eirin looks at Mokou for a moment. "For all her hatred of the princess, she has always been surprisingly considerate about collateral damage. And neither I nor Udonge are her targets. I cannot help but notice that you went directly for the princess's chambers. Why? If you are as informed as you appear, you should know the seal is mine, not hers."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2010, 06:53:32 AM »
>"I suppose I shouldn't speak for Mokou, but from what she's said, she's not been very happy with any of you lately. And I came here because the Princess outranks you. In the proper series of events, she was the one who brought the sealing charm to a halt."

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 07:01:52 AM »
>"I suppose I shouldn't speak for Mokou, but from what she's said, she's not been very happy with any of you lately. And I came here because the Princess outranks you. In the proper series of events, she was the one who brought the sealing charm to a halt."

>"Very well. Let's entertain this theory. You say that history has been altered? How?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2010, 07:07:10 AM »
>"I'd run out of fingers if I counted them all out. The big one is that the Hakurei Maiden vanished, as did her black magician compatriot. That means, for a long time, Gensokyo was practically undefended. Sakuya alone wasn't able to stop the long winter, which was supposed to be stopped. She and Remilia couldn't stop you from sealing the full moon from us. The oni never reappeared. Hundreds of people who were supposed to survived died. The human town was never supposed to have been abandoned. Utsuho was never supposed to reach the surface, or be captured. And, frankly, since Eientei never opened itself, I doubt wonder if you ever heard of many of these people. There's more, but I think that's a good enough recounting to start."

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2010, 07:16:22 AM »
>"I'd run out of fingers if I counted them all out. The big one is that the Hakurei Maiden vanished, as did her black magician compatriot. That means, for a long time, Gensokyo was practically undefended. Sakuya alone wasn't able to stop the long winter, which was supposed to be stopped. She and Remilia couldn't stop you from sealing the full moon from us. The oni never reappeared. Hundreds of people who were supposed to survived died. The human town was never supposed to have been abandoned. Utsuho was never supposed to reach the surface, or be captured. And, frankly, since Eientei never opened itself, I doubt wonder if you ever heard of many of these people. There's more, but I think that's a good enough recounting to start."

>"Ok, that's one 'how'. Now the other. What caused this change, and how do you intend to fix it?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2010, 07:27:59 AM »
>"I have only a vague idea what caused it, and no real proof to support it, only some correlation. I am hoping to find that out once the moon is back to normal. As for fixing it, that is what a hakutaku does, solidify history."

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2010, 07:43:29 AM »
>"I have only a vague idea what caused it, and no real proof to support it, only some correlation. I am hoping to find that out once the moon is back to normal. As for fixing it, that is what a hakutaku does, solidify history."

>"So, essentially, I am supposed to undo the primary protection that keeps Lunar emissaries from reaching us, because you think it may help you fix events that are supposedly wrong, but which, from my own perspective, seem unremarkable, and of little concern to us in any case. In fact, the only 'mistake' you cite that directly bears on us is that I did not fail in completing this spell. You're not making this sound very appealing."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2010, 07:49:35 AM »
>Deep breath.
>"The lunar emissaries never came for you. They didn't care. Or maybe they had more important things to do. Regardless, we never heard a peep from them. You will be fine."

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04:24 AM »
>Deep breath.
>"The lunar emissaries never came for you. They didn't care. Or maybe they had more important things to do. Regardless, we never heard a peep from them. You will be fine."

>"Normally, I would assume this was some sort of deception on their part," she glances at Mokou. "But I feel quite confident you are not involved with them in any way. Nevertheless, if you say that history was altered, your predictions of how they will react must necessarily also be suspect."
>"Moreover, this timeline does not seem so bad from my perspective."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2010, 08:25:36 AM »
>Silence.
>"You. Damned. Parasite.
>"Shut your filthy mouth and never open it again!
>"Not one word! Shut your mouth! You who squat upon out world like some tapeworm, you have no right, none whatsoever, to even pretend you have a say in the fate of our world like that! Who asked you to come here? Who!? Who asked you to come here? Who gave you the right to come upon this world and act like you belong here! Who gave you the right to seal away our forest? Who gave you the right to steal the full moon from us? What have you given us in return?! What do you even do! Nothing! You don't give a single thing back to this planet that graciously accepted you! All you do is take! You are a tapeworm! Now you dare, you have nerve, to claim it's alright for hundreds to have died so you can hide from some fake threat! Fall to your filthy, thieving knees and give thanks to the world for even tolerating your presence until now! Don't you dare pretend that people can die for your benefit, and this is alright! Not while all you do is drain from this world you squat upon! Every last one of them has given more to this world that you, every last one did more to make it a better place than you. And you dare to call that better?"
>"I can only pray that the princess has more sense to appreciate what she has than you do. Now get out of my way."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:47:05 AM by Zombie Purvis »

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2010, 05:42:44 PM »
>Silence.
>"You. Damned. Parasite.
>"Shut your filthy mouth and never open it again!
>"Not one word! Shut your mouth! You who squat upon out world like some tapeworm, you have no right, none whatsoever, to even pretend you have a say in the fate of our world like that! Who asked you to come here? Who!? Who asked you to come here? Who gave you the right to come upon this world and act like you belong here! Who gave you the right to seal away our forest? Who gave you the right to steal the full moon from us? What have you given us in return?! What do you even do! Nothing! You don't give a single thing back to this planet that graciously accepted you! All you do is take! You are a tapeworm! Now you dare, you have nerve, to claim it's alright for hundreds to have died so you can hide from some fake threat! Fall to your filthy, thieving knees and give thanks to the world for even tolerating your presence until now! Don't you dare pretend that people can die for your benefit, and this is alright! Not while all you do is drain from this world you squat upon! Every last one of them has given more to this world that you, every last one did more to make it a better place than you. And you dare to call that better?"
>"I can only pray that the princess has more sense to appreciate what she has than you do. Now get out of my way."

>A heavy silence descends on the corridor. For a time, it feels like people forget even to breathe. Mokou is staring at you in wide-eyed disbelief, as if she isn't even sure that the person standing beside her is still you. Eirin's lips draw into a thin line and her eyes seems to stare clear through you; you meet her gaze defiantly. Nothing is said. There is nothing more to be said. This place is your home, and you will never accept someone so selfishly dictating what is or isn't worth saving. She can choose to help you, or she can choose to try and stop you, but you've made it clear that she cannot change your mind. After one of the longest couple seconds of your life, you start to take a step forward.
>"How- how dare you!" Reisen cries, reaching into her pocket. "Lunar Eyes: Tele-Mesmerism!"
>Two walls of familiars appears, lining the edge of the corridor to your left and right. They start to fire bullets straight across the hallway.