Author Topic: River City Fighters  (Read 1234 times)

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
River City Fighters
« on: October 31, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »
A while ago, I can't remember how long ago, I found a fangame of River City Ransom on the YT and recently (thanks to a really awesome someone on the forum), I managed to get my hands on it and play the sucker.

It took a little getting used to, being I'm used to playing Melty Blood and in this came, pulling off combos and air combos isn't as easy. Thankfully, there's a movelist included in the file to help guide you along with each character so you can master them and, in turn, have an easier time playing the game (take warning though, the movelists are in japanese, but the button commands are still simple to understand and learn).  Each character plays different and (as pictured in the movelist) have different stats reflecting their capabilities in battle. Some are fast, some are dead slow (I'm looking at you Rocko). Some are easy to play with, others...not so much. You'll just have to toy around with them and see which one suits your battle style.

The game comes with 3 modes; Arcade, 2P VS, and Tag VS. The last two are usually reserved for when you have a second player avaliable to join the fun (which is a shame being the game would have been better if these options were avaliable to play against CPU). There doesn't seem to be a training mode attached, so if you want to train you'll have to go into 2P mode and settle for that.

In Arcade Mode, there's 2 other modes avaliable (3 modes, if you pick a character who comes with a tag partner); Normal, Hird(?)* and Tag Match. The other 2 are mostly solo matches, while Tag Match teams you up with a partner and you both can go toe to toe with another team (I'll say that this one is a bit more fun than Normal and Hird). There are a couple more characters that seem to be only avaliable in 2P mode(s), I'm not entirely sure how you can get them in Normal Mode.

For the most part, it doesn't look as though the game was ever completed upon it's initial release as story mode trolls you ends with a Game Over and little else to show for it (I'm guessing this is where the other characters would have been unlockables or something). In anycase, it's worth a play and while it's not really worth much compared to the other fangames out for the RCR/Kunio-kun community, it's a good fighter to play as a time-waster.

A couple screenshots I took...

Download it here. - I dunno what happened to the filename (it should say 'ND') but, I guess something got fucked up with it. Oh well, rest assured that it's the game, nevertheless.

Everything should be included in the file, if not, lemme know and I'll see what I messed up on.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus