Author Topic: Mystical chain translation patch [needs translators and image editors]  (Read 6493 times)

I discovered a while ago that Mystical Chain was really easy to patch. It actually use no encryption, data files are renamed PNG files.
So I'll try to lead a translation patch for this game.
For now, we need a translator, because a translation project without translator is... well, you see.
Another important person we'll need is an image editor, because all the texts in the game are stored in images.
Then, we'll need some correctors, but I think we'll easily find some.
And finally, it would be nice to have another translator for the translation check.

Here are all the images containing Japanese texts in the game data files: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3zbii4s4c6akg83/mystical+chain+images+to+translate.zip

DeityDiz93

• Arahitogami of Contribution
  • Geez, Touhou and real life are set to hard mode...
I discovered a while ago that Mystical Chain was really easy to patch.

Huh, that makes me wonder if most of LION HEART's games are like that. Heavens knows games like Sanae Challenge! FUSION and Tenjou no Tempest by them aren't translated yet either, but Mystical Chain would be stellar to see as a start for sure!

Best regards with the translation of Mystical Chain, and I wish you alongside any future helpers the best. ^^
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:20:07 AM by DeityDiz93 »
I'm a decade-old Touhou Project fan. I heavily advocate for what's obscure and less popular in this series such as the PC-98 era, not-often-heard ZUN music, and the much of unpopular/unused characters.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
I remember playing through this once a while back so I'm tempted, but I'm not really sure if I'll have the time.

Just wondering though... what exactly would be your role?

Huh, that makes me wonder if most of LION HEART's games are like that. Heavens knows games like Sanae Challenge! FUSION and Tenjou no Tempest by them aren't translated yet either, but Mystical Chain would be stellar to see as a start for sure!

Best regards with the translation of Mystical Chain, I wish you an any future helpers the best. ^^

Sanacha fusion is dxlib, meaning it uses an archive format that's super easy to crack. The original SanaCha doesn't even use an archive. Both also have text strings in the executable, which is managable but messy. Basically, the same as labyrinth of touhou.

I don't even remember what Tempest is, but it's probably simple too.

Just wondering though... what exactly would be your role?
First, cracking the game renaming files. And things like listing files to translate, display the progression in the 1st post, writing a small readme and publish the release... Not a huge work, only a few things that can be done by anyone, but that needs to be done. And creating this thread was the most important of them.

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
While I probably won't be able to help (aside from spreading the word when it's done), I'm very excited and happy to see this thread popping up. Lion Heart has made some great stuff in the past, yet no translator seemed interested or able to tackle them.

I remember Mystical Chain only had very little story-text, and that even menus and battle-exclamations were already in English just to be stylish. Tenjou no Tempest however, someone once told me that game seems just a little too complicated to enjoy for them with the whole shop and configuration for shots, skills and specials, all in Japanese. Breaking that language barrier would definitely make it more accessible.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
If you can compile everything that needs to be translated as far as raw text goes, I can take a look and see how feasible it could be.

DeityDiz93

• Arahitogami of Contribution
  • Geez, Touhou and real life are set to hard mode...
I don't even remember what Tempest is, but it's probably simple too.

You'll find your answer here. This page is the official page for the game with a link to a preview on niconico. From what I remember, Mystical Chain and Tenjou no Tempest run on the same engines, and while I can't speak on the technical understanding behind it, it's likely they do share the same framework at least in some fashion.

I remember Mystical Chain only had very little story-text, and that even menus and battle-exclamations were already in English just to be stylish. Tenjou no Tempest however, someone once told me that game seems just a little too complicated to enjoy for them with the whole shop and configuration for shots, skills and specials, all in Japanese. Breaking that language barrier would definitely make it more accessible.

Indeed true on the complicated parts; I have played the demo once and it was really hard to get a grasp on the mechanics due to language barrier and such, so this is one of the main reasons I mentioned it. Sanae Challenge! FUSION also has dialogue, but the gameplay is far from extremely complex, so you can likely get into that before Tempest. The focus on Mystical Chain is something I wouldn't mind, but later on it would be fantastic of Tenjou no Tempest was targeted for an English patch later down the line.

I've got all I've had to say out of the way, so I'll digress with this as I am probably coming off as unbecoming here since the focus ought to be with Mystical Chain. ^^;
I'm a decade-old Touhou Project fan. I heavily advocate for what's obscure and less popular in this series such as the PC-98 era, not-often-heard ZUN music, and the much of unpopular/unused characters.

I have played the demo once and it was really hard to get a grasp on the mechanics due to language barrier and such
Same here.
I took a really quick look, and it have an encryption. I don't know if it's a strong one or not, but it have one. I may give it a stringer look someday, but let's begin with Mystical Chain.

If you can compile everything that needs to be translated as far as raw text goes, I can take a look and see how feasible it could be.
I'm not sure about that, but I think all the texts in the game are in images. And if it isn't the case, finding the hardcoded strings will be easier when I'll have the images translated.
And all the images to translate are here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3zbii4s4c6akg83/mystical+chain+images+to+translate.zip