Author Topic: Medaka Box Mafia - GAME OVER  (Read 58316 times)

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
Re: Medaka Box Mafia - GAME OVER
« Reply #540 on: March 26, 2014, 05:57:21 AM »
"I just don't understand where he's coming from. Why would you want to have a setup where the players are not allowed to figure it out?"
Quote from: Dormio
I think that this is the major point of confusion.
There are several reasons for why I would want to have a setup where the players are not allowed to figure it out.
The first is that I do not consider it to be fun.
Mafia is a game about deceit for scum and trying to uncover the wolf in sheep's clothing for town.
The fun in mafia, in my opinion, is derived from reading people and comparing it with what you know of how they behave in various situations in order to assess whether or not they are lying from your perspective.
You may argue that what you are saying about having a setup that can be figured out is the same thing but I disagree.
Mafia is a game of emotion, it is not one that should be able to be "solved".
Are you saying that mafia would be fun for somebody that played their best, fooled all the townies into thinking that they were town, and then lost anyway due to nothing other than the process of elimination since every other player's role was proven to be real by the moderator?
That's just bullshit and anybody in that position would agree, I'm sure.
Alternatively, if you're aligned with the town, where is the fun in catching scum through nothing but role gaming and the process of elimination?
You get none of the satisfaction of knowing that you managed to catch someone out in their behaviors and actions and then that just leaves the question of what the point of playing mafia in the first place is.
If you think that mafia is a game that can be solved from an objective point of view, I think that games such as solitaire are much better suited for that.
Providing your players with a game and deciding which fun is correct fun ... is just going to lead to frustration.

"I made a complex game with cool roles but I want you to find the scum without talking about the cool roles I made"
Quote from: Dormio
To an extent, yes.
It is my opinion that roles exist to add variety and spice to the game of mafia.
It's rather necessary when you have such a small playerbase like we do and end up playing with the same people over and over again.
Without some sort of variation, the games get very dull and repetitive.
However, as mentioned above, I believe that hunting and lynching scum should be town's main tool in removing the scum from their midst whilst lying and trying to maintain their cover should be the scum's main tool in staying alive.
I feel that roles should not be a replacement to either of these.
Because once those two key elements stop being the focus of the game, then you are no longer playing mafia.

These seem like contradictory motivations, both taken to extremes. I believe you can have a game that limits or obviates rolespec entirely without being boring. If you're trying to avoid scum being found through PoE of mod-confirmed rolespec, seems like there are quite a few different ways to accomplish that. Giving everyone a power role isn't the obvious solution, and neither is creating roles which are designed to subvert expectations or are too original to speculate about.

I assumed that things like transforming roles and hidden information weren't used here, but that was obviously a faulty assumption.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #541 on: March 26, 2014, 07:29:20 AM »
Providing your players with a game and deciding which fun is correct fun ... is just going to lead to frustration.
I don't know about you but I'm under the impression that you join mafia to hunt scum, not solve puzzles.

These seem like contradictory motivations, both taken to extremes. I believe you can have a game that limits or obviates rolespec entirely without being boring. If you're trying to avoid scum being found through PoE of mod-confirmed rolespec, seems like there are quite a few different ways to accomplish that. Giving everyone a power role isn't the obvious solution, and neither is creating roles which are designed to subvert expectations or are too original to speculate about.
I have no idea what you're talking about here so my apologies for whatever I've misinterpreted.
Basically what I'm saying there is that it's fun to have a role but no matter what role you have or how many roles exist within the game the roles should never take precedence over actual play.

As for the hidden information bullcrap accusation, what am I meant to say here?
I am not going to confirm the existence of a motivator to every single player because that would be retarded.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #542 on: March 26, 2014, 12:12:21 PM »
So what solutions are there otherwise, O4rfish?ㅎ

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #543 on: March 26, 2014, 01:53:50 PM »
I assumed that things like transforming roles and hidden information weren't used here, but that was obviously a faulty assumption.
This is the first time I've seen a motivator (not that a motivator is bastard in the slightest anyway) and maybe the second time I've seen hidden information that I can remember if SkyPal's VT pm counts as one, which it really shouldn't since it should have been painfully obvious upon receiving it that he could not truly be VT. (I've been playing here roughly 4 years I think?)

Anyway, I think you're really overreacting. You say it's not up to Dormio to decide which one is "fun", but I think most people would agree that what he was trying to avoid is indeed "not fun". People getting carried away with roles is VERY not fun, it's usually pretty irritating, and they tend to get carried away enough that it's just stupid and not even going to have a better chance at catching scum than throwing darts at a board. And even when they don't get that far carried away, it tends to remove the actual mafiaplaying aspect of the game to a significant degree, and then even the people still trying to play normally have less to work with because a decent amount of the players are doing nothing but rolegaming over Actually Playing Mafia.

Roles are fun, having them is fun, many of them ARE there to help you catch scum, but it's important for the mod to try to stop them from having a high chance of being able to take over the game. (Also everything I say is only from MotK situations and are not meant to apply to anywhere else since I've never -played- anywhere else) The players WILL be quick to jump at a chance to let roles take over the game, and they'll probably handle it stupidly and guess everything wrong and give the other faction the win. (It's not always town being dumb and losing to scum. Recently we had a ITP win from purely this when he was the mega-obv-nottown like four days before the game ended.)

I believe you can have a game that limits or obviates rolespec entirely without being boring.
Limiting rolespec without being boring is basically the entire point of what happened here, and
Giving everyone a power role isn't the obvious solution, and neither is creating roles which are designed to subvert expectations or are too original to speculate about.
Power roles to everyone isn't a solution, it was just that the point of the setup is also that everyone gets some form of PR; it's kind of nice to /in knowing you're not going to be VT and have a nice chance of landing something that's even pretty cool (hopefully). Creating roles designed to subvert expectations or being too weird to speculate about isn't bad either? I'm not sure whether you're just saying one should stick to the standard list of roles or not, but that'd be pointless and limiting, and most of those are pretty strong (which would be bad)

IMO the best kind of role madness game (unless you specifically are looking for literal Madness, which can be fun every now and then, but MotK gets enough of it as it is) is one where most of the roles are fairly tame (aka have little real power effect on the balance), and there's at least a couple pretty abnormal roles. My previous setup I Wanna Be The Sereliest fit that and so does Dormio's here (to an even larger extent), and IMO Dormio's setup was perfectly fine. Then there's stuff like Shadoweh's mafia where it turned out everyone was actually functional vanilla >:V (It was all Role backups, and Role enablers, and other silly things. It was actually still really interesting since we didn't realize until d3 or d4, and claims made were still powerful things. Plus she also put in an opt-in feature to get a Post Restriction in exchange for nighttalking and had regular day events, a special lurkerkill system, and a post word limit to deal with the current wallposting issues)

aaaaalso by the way
"I made a complex game with cool roles but I want you to find the scum without talking about the cool roles I made"
Almost all of the roles in this game were very weak, at least in terms of finding scum with, they basically HAD to be Motivated to not suck and half of them still didn't do anything then. So yes, he made a complex game with cool roles, and you still won't be able to find the scum with them even whilst talking about them beyond what you'd get in a "normal", only-a-few-PRs game with mostly VTs, without extra effort on his part. This is Good Role Madness Setup Design imo, even if this setup is even weaker than I'd normally suggest. I mean the VT pm and Zakeri abnormal backup with rawr thing might not be something I'd put in a book of Good Design but they really aren't a big deal either

tl;dr, Role Madness is fun but you probably shouldn't give the players a whole lot more power than they'd have in a setup with two thirds of the town being VT and the others being strong PRs. Otherwise you get Actual Madness, which is only fun to have every now and then (and we get it fairly often already) Especially, especially considering that it usually devolves into people yelling at eachother about the setup and trying to outguess the mod about everything, getting things wrong, and then leading town to smother itself to death through incorrect assumptions about roles.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:03:52 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #544 on: March 26, 2014, 02:17:06 PM »
maybe the second time I've seen hidden information that I can remember if SkyPal's VT pm counts as one, which it really shouldn't since it should have been painfully obvious upon receiving it that he could not truly be VT.

I kind of blurred over the rest of your post but I'm going to dispute the 'it should be obvious' thing and share the pm with you. 

Welcome, Sky Paladin, to Medaka Box Mafia!
You are Myouri Unzen, Monster Child(Vanilla Townie)
Justice means nothing if you don't go overboard! While what you are doing may not necessarily be right or helping to make the world a better place, you are going to purge the world and deliver your brand of justice to anybody that dares to break the rules.
Myouri Unzen placed 19th in the latest Medaka Box popularity poll.
You have the ability to post in thread and vote.
You win when all threats to your faction have been eliminated. Best of luck.

Obvious how...?
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #545 on: March 26, 2014, 02:20:01 PM »
This is a role madness game, which implies everyone should have a role. Second, I'm fairly sure Dormio had stated before the game started that everyone will have a role, which modconfirmed it.

edit:Okay, Dormio didn't explicitly state that, nevermind. Role Madness still heavily implies it but I suppose it's not an end-all-be-all enough to assume everyone should immediately realize something's wrong with a VT pm. But yeah, in the future, role madness is supposed to explicitly mean everyone has a role, unless the mod has stated otherwise that it's just "very low amounts of vt".

Although I think it'd be mean to include any VTs in a role madness setup, unless it's the kind where you confirm there's one or two so they're like Innocent Child in actuality.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:24:18 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #546 on: March 26, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
I should design another setup

Don't lynch me.

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #547 on: March 26, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »
Serela, what are you actually saying? 
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #548 on: March 26, 2014, 03:23:44 PM »
I do not know how to make it any clearer than that. :C

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #549 on: March 26, 2014, 03:31:24 PM »
So what solutions are there otherwise, O4rfish?ㅎ

Just off the top of my head, you could run a 13-2 game where the scum have X-shot anonymous extra vote.
My upcoming game will be 10-5 with no power roles, 5 days and 4 nights, delayed flips and the graveyard votes for a living player's faction to win.
Popcorn Mafia, or anything where the rules are different. Bard, you were suggesting some Nostradamus Mafia, right?
Heck, if you want everyone to have a role but totally eliminate rolespec, give everyone exactly the same role.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #550 on: March 26, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »
the graveyard votes for a living player's faction to win

uh
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #551 on: March 26, 2014, 03:56:50 PM »
uh

I'm gonna make this work in my next setup

Don't lynch me.

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #552 on: March 26, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »
I'm gonna make this work in my next setup
Well then God bless you my man

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #553 on: March 26, 2014, 05:43:23 PM »
I should design another setup
I'm not inning to be VT again >:C

I believe even Sky Paladin said his role pm looked like a vigilante pm missing the vig shot. :> It just needed a boost!

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #554 on: March 26, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »
Obviously you're all going about this the wrong way.
The way to eliminate rolespec is to mindscrew the players so much that they don't trust any role interactions or role info. Don't want follow the cop? Make half the town secret millers, and then make the cop insane anyway. Don't want Game Winning Night Action Plans? Have everyone's role passively redirect themselves to the target immediately below on the playerlist. If you don't like players making erronous connections via flips, janitor all the lynches and nightkills so you have to base your reads solely on individual play.

The last step is to get banned from hosting mafia forever.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #555 on: March 26, 2014, 08:16:29 PM »
I don't know but I get the feeling that some people just don't understand what the actual game of mafia was about in the first place with all the weird setups that people have been running.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #556 on: March 26, 2014, 08:38:23 PM »
Just off the top of my head, you could run a 13-2 game where the scum have X-shot anonymous extra vote.
My upcoming game will be 10-5 with no power roles, 5 days and 4 nights, delayed flips and the graveyard votes for a living player's faction to win.
Popcorn Mafia, or anything where the rules are different. Bard, you were suggesting some Nostradamus Mafia, right?
Heck, if you want everyone to have a role but totally eliminate rolespec, give everyone exactly the same role.

"I believe you can have a game that limits or obviates rolespec entirely without being boring. If you're trying to avoid scum being found through PoE of mod-confirmed rolespec, seems like there are quite a few different ways to accomplish that."

But x-shot anonymous extra votes don't sound fun in the slightest. That just gives the Scum more power at no gain to the Town.
Delayed flips don't exactly stop rolespec, we rolespec based on living players. Making the Graveyard important eliminates a huge part of Mafia, which is what BT was also butthurt about: The people who aren't fooled by the Mafia get killed or get pushed into mislynch positions. Telling the Mafia that they can't do anything to stop good players from ratting them out is poor game design and doesn't sound fun from a Scum PoV.
I have no idea what Nostradamus Mafia is.

Either way, in these examples you're just putting forth things you think are fun. But if your criticism of Dormio is that he decided what was fun and not boring, then these ideas still work off of the same idea: The mod decides what is fun/interesting and the players fit themselves to that. 13-2 mountainous with Scum having 3+ votes isn't any more fun than Dormio's game just now.

The only time I've ever received a role PM that was literally worse in all ways than being vanilla was this game. It's also the first and only game where I replaced out during confirmation phase.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #557 on: March 26, 2014, 09:22:24 PM »
Did it really have to be Shadoweh's game? :V

« Reply #558 on: March 27, 2014, 12:17:54 AM »
Obviously you're all going about this the wrong way.
The way to eliminate rolespec is to mindscrew the players so much that they don't trust any role interactions or role info. Don't want follow the cop? Make half the town secret millers, and then make the cop insane anyway. Don't want Game Winning Night Action Plans? Have everyone's role passively redirect themselves to the target immediately below on the playerlist. If you don't like players making erronous connections via flips, janitor all the lynches and nightkills so you have to base your reads solely on individual play.

The last step is to get banned from hosting mafia forever.
I see you've been talking to Manix on sf

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #559 on: March 27, 2014, 12:20:51 AM »
I was only banned from hosting a specific flavor of setup.

I was lucky.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #560 on: March 27, 2014, 03:12:25 AM »
Either way, in these examples you're just putting forth things you think are fun. But if your criticism of Dormio is that he decided what was fun and not boring, then these ideas still work off of the same idea: The mod decides what is fun/interesting and the players fit themselves to that. 13-2 mountainous with Scum having 3+ votes isn't any more fun than Dormio's game just now.

I was criticizing Dormio for deciding that certain things his players were going to do were not fun, and his implementation in trying to prevent those. If you want to prevent someone from doing something, it's less effective to place obstacles in their way than to remove the option entirely.

Bard, if you think the Medaka Box setup is a better solution to the two constraints of not boring and preventing rolespec than any of these options, I don't know what to tell you other than I disagree.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #561 on: March 27, 2014, 03:19:55 AM »
O4rfish, your suggestions are basically "don't let people have any roles then", which defeats the purpose of still having nice roles :V You know, it's possible to live in a world where you have cool roles and don't fall into overspeculation land. You just have to be careful about it.

Your criticism is that "The mod thinks certain things wouldn't be fun, and tried to make a setup designed to avoid those not-fun things." This is EXACTLY what a mod's job should always be, albeit in role madness games it's more prevalent because you have to actively make sure to do it.

I guess you think that dormio's implementation was bad but I disagree, or you think that Dormio's idea of what's "Not Fun" is bad, where I also disagree because motk has a long history of that Not Fun stuff ruining many games.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #562 on: March 27, 2014, 04:43:00 AM »
You should just relax and accept that I'm awesome, because I am.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #563 on: March 27, 2014, 11:05:04 AM »
Your criticism is that "The mod thinks certain things wouldn't be fun, and tried to make a setup designed to avoid those not-fun things." This is EXACTLY what a mod's job should always be, albeit in role madness games it's more prevalent because you have to actively make sure to do it.

Serela, I agree that deciding certain things are not desired and then trying to prevent those things is useful. What I am criticizing is the fact that Dormio did not prevent those things from occuring at all, but instead used mechanics that I wasn't expecting and find distasteful. The latter is admittedly subjective, and the former is fact.

Several people here are saying that rolespec is a problem, but not offering solutions other than "be careful" or "run a bastard game"
I think you may have different priorities though. I see the constraint as "be new and interesting rather than boring" not "make cool roles" and not "provide something better than VT"
Bard, Serela, do you consider playing a VT to be boring? If so, would you consider the core mechanic of Mafia to be boring?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:10:04 PM by O4rfish »

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #564 on: March 27, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »
Seriously?
Like, I don't know what the fuck you're on about.
Like are you reading your own words here?
Several people here are saying that rolespec is a problem, but not offering solutions other than "be careful" or "run a bastard game"
Because you are clearly not reading everybody else's.
Nobody has offered "run a bastard game" as a suggestion, why the fuck are you bringing that up?
And what the fuck is wrong with being careful with a setup?
You say it like it's the most incriminating thing in a world.
Making a balanced setup requires care and effort?
Who the fuck knew?
Like. I don't know man. What the fuck are you trying to say here? Because I don't fucking get it.

To be frank, I think you're just mad.
And if you are, take it out on me, not my setup.
Because my setup is fucking awesome and I will fight you if you say otherwise.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #565 on: March 27, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »
Your setup sucks because it lacks firetrucks. Now take it outside.