Author Topic: Progress of the PC-98 game patches,whoever is/was doing it?  (Read 43086 times)

MaronaPossessed

• I am free to dream of my own dream
  • and so I shall dream
Progress of the PC-98 game patches,whoever is/was doing it?
« on: November 19, 2009, 03:37:27 AM »
I didn't want to bump this old thread because it wasn't allowed and I haven't seen any recent topics/posts until august: Old Thread

So yes, if I may ask, how is the person doing in the translation patches of these games? I only played the windows games and I'm very interested. I read the translation script but being able to play and have a translation patch would be nice just like the windows games.

Thank you.

Re: Progress of the PC-98 game patches,whoever is/was doing it?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 08:29:05 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing, actually. It's been a few months with absolutely no word on progress, did the project just sort of die or something?
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

Gpop

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »
I believe was behind this if I'm not mistaken.

And knowing Alice, he's usually absent and away for most things he's supposed to do. He takes a lot of time in his things.

So yeah, this is normal from him (remembers Mafia and MoF patch) =/.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 09:06:04 PM »
I actually sent Alice a PM offering to attempt to help with the patch if it is something simple he doesn't have time for (like text insertion), but he hasn't responded. :(
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »
I actually sent Alice a PM offering to attempt to help with the patch if it is something simple he doesn't have time for (like text insertion), but he hasn't responded. :(
Considering the pdf incident...

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 11:58:59 PM »
Considering the pdf incident...
The pdf incident?  ???

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:26:38 AM »
Donut opened a pdf with notepad, and then copy-pasted some of it into irc, because he doesn't know what a pdf is. We were not amused.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 12:29:16 AM »
Geez people, I'm actually trying to be helpful. :( I think it's safe to say few people desire the patches more than me, and I just wanna see if I can help it along.

And I know what a pdf file is NOW. -_-
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Gpop

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 12:34:59 AM »
I think it's safe to say few people desire the patches more than me

<-------

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 04:54:22 AM »
Geez people, I'm actually trying to be helpful. :( I think it's safe to say few people desire the patches more than me, and I just wanna see if I can help it along.

And I know what a pdf file is NOW. -_-
It happens  :D don't worry

Yeah I'm one of the few people though. I guess the pc-98 games don't have much attention...*sigh*it would be nice if Mima appeared in the windows games. But it seems like Zun killed her off:(

Anyways...If I knew all the programming,extraction,all japanese and all I would have helped...but unfortunately I know nothing. Guess all we can do is wait for Alice.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 06:40:19 PM »
I want so much to play Lotus Land Story with dialogues...

Montblanc

• I'll drive my toe into your eye socket,
  • And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 03:59:57 AM »
How would one even go about making a patch for these? I'm not a programmer, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance on the subject, but how do you make a patch file for something that is all condensed into one file, and is only executable using an emulator?

I'm genuinely curious.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »
ROM hacking? It exist, at least for popular consoles, like the Genesis and SNES.

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 03:34:52 AM »
With the EDIT DISK thing I'm sure its possible...we gotta find out whats what though...>_<

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 03:38:16 AM »

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 03:15:54 AM »
Well I was messing with brightmoon.exe, the Mystic Square .dat files, and a hex editor called "AXE" and I've made a few discoveries.

1. Anything with the extension starting with .b* in the files is a graphics file. (I think, I didn't check them all, but I'm pretty sure.)

2. .M and .M2 are music files. (Well, .M is for sure, and .M2 has matching file names as .M)

3. .PI files are either text, or how the game processes most of its data.

No clue on the rest, I hope this helps someone develop a patch.
If this was already known, please don't beat me. I just wanted to help.

EDIT: 4. .TX2 files have someone's script in them, actually, it might have everyone's for that stage... Those might be the ones to edit. But it might be hard to hex edit them because all of the characters use the "Windows: Japanese" character set and I don't know whether or not it's possible to change it to US and make them still work on the emulators...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:29:50 AM by Dude »

Herasy

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 07:35:50 AM »
Well I was messing with brightmoon.exe, the Mystic Square .dat files, and a hex editor called "AXE" and I've made a few discoveries.

1. Anything with the extension starting with .b* in the files is a graphics file. (I think, I didn't check them all, but I'm pretty sure.)

2. .M and .M2 are music files. (Well, .M is for sure, and .M2 has matching file names as .M)

No clue on the rest, I hope this helps someone develop a patch.

EDIT: 4. .TX2 files have someone's script in them, actually, it might have everyone's for that stage... Those might be the ones to edit. But it might be hard to hex edit them because all of the characters use the "Windows: Japanese" character set and I don't know whether or not it's possible to change it to US and make them still work on the emulators...

I also started messing around with the PC-98 games. I have discovered that all the endings are kept in normal text files called "ED(insert number here).TXT" but unfortunately the stage dialog is not so easy to actually get ahold of. I can find the stage dialog in Mystic Square using Brightmoon (But not nearly as neat and tidy as I found the endings) in those TX2 files you mentioned (They can open in notepad!) but I cannot find any stage dialog in Lotus Land, Zun must have written the dialog there in a different format.

I plan on continuing my tinkering with Mystic Square (Part way considering making a translation for it myself if I can learn how) but any other information you could share would be nice. (Such as where the stage dialog is kept in each game)

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 09:52:23 AM »
I did some tinkering myself a few weeks back, and found that with the current tools available, it is possible to extract, edit, and reinsert text in SoEW.
Like so
I'm still not sure how to change images or text like "Bombs" and "Power" (I'm assuming those are hardcoded)
The other problem of course is finding a way to distribute a patch. I don't have any experience with that sort of thing >>

Also, this may be a given, but the text files for dialogue are formatted so that you have to have the same amount of characters per line (spaces included)
Otherwise text boxes will start overlapping and a huge mess is made. I transcribed the wiki translation of SoEW's stages into this format and managed to fit all the text in. Here they are if someone wants to try and work with them
(Note: Anex86 wouldn't display capital W or V, so I replaced # with V and $ with W in the font image file. I don't know if it was a problem with my computer or with Anex86, but if you have the same problem here is the edited font file. Otherwise you can easily change them back.

but I cannot find any stage dialog in Lotus Land, Zun must have written the dialog there in a different format.
The stage dialogue for SoEW and LLS aren't in the .dat file; they're hidden away in the "name of touhou game"."last character of name" file. So for Lotus Land Story (東方幻想郷) it would be in the 東方幻想.郷 file. These files seem to work exactly the same as the .dat files so it doesn't make much difference.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 05:53:29 AM by Nyyl »

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 10:20:02 AM »
I did some tinkering myself a few weeks back, and found that with the current tools available, it is possible to extract, edit, and reinsert text in SoEW.
Like so
I'm still not sure how to change images or text like "Bombs" and "Power" (I'm assuming those are hardcoded)

Uncontrollable screaming aside, I'd actually prefer for the HUD to go unchanged, myself. It looks more stylish as-is, you can't really confuse any aspect of it for something else, and any English text would have to be scrunched into the same space that the Japanese characters occupy, which means it can't be in the style of the English text saying Score and High Score.

Herasy

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 10:58:15 AM »
Like so
The other problem of course is finding a way to distribute a patch. I don't have any experience with that sort of thing >>

Also, this may be a given, but the text files for dialogue are formatted so that you have to have the same amount of characters per line (spaces included)
Otherwise text boxes will start overlapping and a huge mess is made. I transcribed the wiki translation of SoEW's stages into this format and managed to fit all the text in, so if someone wants to try and work with those I could provide them.
The stage dialogue for SoEW and LLS aren't in the .dat file; they're hidden away in the "name of touhou game"."last character of name" file. So for Lotus Land Story (東方幻想郷) it would be in the 東方幻想.郷 file. These files seem to work exactly the same as the .dat files so it doesn't make much difference.

Ah I just got started messing with SoEW, how exactly did you repack the dat? The way I do it causes the game to break. What tools are you using?

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 12:28:57 PM »
Brief Summary:
- LLS and MS patches are in the works. They will be released When They Are Done(TM), or in other words when all parties involved have time to sit down and finish the tasks of game hacking, image editing, text translation (there are still some pages on the wiki related to the PC-98 games that actually still lack a translation!), length editing and insertion, etc. Patch making is not a quick task, not to mention this is a bad time time-wise for most of us :P

I believe those were 16-colour raw bitmaps in a weird aspect ratio - shouldn't be too hard to check, just open them up in Irfanview or imagemagick's commandline imageviewer app or whatnot.

Quote from: Dude
FM Synth operator commands/data stored in the .M format for PMD files: the .M files are for the original OPN series which has 3 FM operators (as well as 3 "SSG" channels - short looped sample channels, typically used for percussion), whereas the .M2 files are for the PMDB2/PMD86 boards which use a later version of the OPN which increases the number of FM operators from 3 to 6. IIRC, most of the .M and the .M2 files were near-identical if not outright identical from a pure file data perspective, and I couldn't hear any difference between the two when listening to them on FMPMDE, so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually are the same file, except renamed for some obscure compatibility reasons relating to PMDB2.COM/PMD86.COM or whatever. Who knows, really. Japanese programming has some really weird idiosyncracies at times (there's that one time mauve found out that stock IaMP was ""compressing"" images using 64-bit RLE...with a 64-bit int as the runlength variable for each run. Said images wound up being considerably larger ""compressed"" than uncompressed. lol.)

One of no less than three imageformats used in LLS/MS, and by far the weirdest. It's compressed, and actually manages to pull off remarkably good compression on 16-colour bitmaps, far better than PNG, while similarly being lossless. The disadvantages are that it goes from awesome to horrible as soon as you increase the bitdepth per pixel even to 256-colours, let alone something sane. It's fairly arcane, mauve wrote a dumper and I wrote a recompressor for it using that as a base, we were scratching our heads over the damn thing until I found an ancient implementation of this algorithm (predictably, this stuff hasn't been used since the DOS days: it came with an image display program which had the distinct appearance of a typical Windows 3.11 program (i.e. Comctl16.dll-style directory trees/open/save/etc dialogues, among other things)), which then simply reduced the problem to "read this fairly nasty x86 asm with a bunch of horrible macro tricks" or "read this fairly cryptic algorithm spec which is available only in Japanese" (and as both of us knew x86 asm and neither of us knew Japanese, the choice was obvious :P).

Now that there's a dumper and a recompressor for these files, this has been taken care of and now the impetus is on the folks doing image editing to take care of that (among other things, ending images are stored as .PI files, principally because they are otherwise very large and compress extremely well when compressed using this algorithm)

No problem.

The charset is SJIS, yes. Despite this being SJIS, lower-set ASCII characters (i.e. 0-127) should display perfectly fine regardless of system codepage, this is kind of by design and for very good reasons (and besides, you typically can see some random lines of English text from PMD.COM/PMDB2.COM/PMD86.COM (whichever one of those 3 actually recognises Anex86's emulation layer as a valid OPN and stays resident, iirc PMDB2.COM) before the main game is loaded via ZUN.COM in the startup script on the default .HUD set that seems to be circling around the internet these days.
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »
Good. I was about to check these myself, but it seems I don't have to. Good job, everyone!

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »
Uncontrollable screaming aside,
what did i do :<
I'd actually prefer for the HUD to go unchanged, myself. It looks more stylish as-is, you can't really confuse any aspect of it for something else, and any English text would have to be scrunched into the same space that the Japanese characters occupy, which means it can't be in the style of the English text saying Score and High Score.
It seemed like a fairly trivial thing to translate anyway so I guess it's no big deal.

Ah I just got started messing with SoEW, how exactly did you repack the dat? The way I do it causes the game to break. What tools are you using?
This one sir. The only PC-98 game it works with is SoEW, unfortunately :\
Also here's the command to repack 東方封魔.録 in case you don't want to type it up yourself :V

Code: [Select]
datpacker -v 2 東方封魔.録 ALL.PI BOMB1.BFT BOMB1.PI BOMB2.PI BOMB3.PI BOMBS.BFT BOSS1.M BOSS1.MMD BOSS2.M BOSS2.MMD BOSS3.M BOSS3.MMD BOSS4.M BOSS4.MMD BOSS5.M BOSS5.MMD BUT.PI DEMO1.REC DEMO2.REC DEMO3.REC ED01.PI ED02.PI ED03.PI ED03A.RGB ED04.PI ED05.PI ED06.PI ED06A.RGB ED06B.RGB ED06C.RGB ED07.PI ED07A.RGB ED07B.RGB ED08.PI ED08A.RGB ED08B.RGB ED08C.RGB ED09.PI END1.M END1.MMD END1.TXT END2.TXT END3.TXT ENDFT.BFT ENDING.M ENDING.MMD EXTRA.PI EYE.PI GMINIT.MMD HUUMA.EFC MIKO.BFT MIKO16.BFT MIKO32.BFT MIKOFT.BFT MIKO_K.MPN MIMA.BFT MIMA.M MIMA.MMD MIMA1.BFT MIMA2.BFT MUSIC.TXT OP.M OP.MMD OP.PI OP.RGB OP2.PI OP3.PI OPA.PI OPB.PI OPC.PI OP_H.BFT OP_H.RGB STAGE0.BBT STAGE0.BFT STAGE0.BMT STAGE0.DT1 STAGE0.M STAGE0.MAP STAGE0.MMD STAGE0.MPN STAGE0.TXT STAGE1.BBT STAGE1.BFT STAGE1.BMT STAGE1.DT1 STAGE1.M STAGE1.MAP STAGE1.MMD STAGE1.MPN STAGE1.TXT STAGE2.BBT STAGE2.BFT STAGE2.BMT STAGE2.DT1 STAGE2.M STAGE2.MAP STAGE2.MMD STAGE2.MPN STAGE2.TXT STAGE2_B.BBT STAGE3.BBT STAGE3.BFT STAGE3.BMT STAGE3.DT1 STAGE3.M STAGE3.MAP STAGE3.MMD STAGE3.MPN STAGE3.TXT STAGE3_B.BFT STAGE3_B.BTT STAGE4.BBT STAGE4.BFT STAGE4.BMT STAGE4.DT1 STAGE4.M STAGE4.MAP STAGE4.MMD STAGE4.MPN STAGE4.TXT STAGE5.BBT STAGE5.BFT STAGE5.BMT STAGE5.DT1 STAGE5.M STAGE5.MAP STAGE5.MMD STAGE5.MPN STAGE5.TXT STAGE5B1.BFT STAGE5B2.BFT TS1.PI TS2.PI TS3.PI TSELECT.PI

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »
I believe those were 16-colour raw bitmaps in a weird aspect ratio - shouldn't be too hard to check, just open them up in Irfanview or imagemagick's commandline imageviewer app or whatnot.
Or AXE:
The pallets are wrong, but I don't know how to fix that yet.
Sorry for crappy quality.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »
what did i do :<

You made me unbearably happy.

It seemed like a fairly trivial thing to translate anyway so I guess it's no big deal.

Granted, I'd still like the option to install the patch with the HUD unchanged.

Montblanc

• I'll drive my toe into your eye socket,
  • And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 11:33:56 AM »
Words cannot express my glee at the fact that this is actually making progress.

*Wistful sigh*

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 04:04:58 AM »
Words cannot express my glee at the fact that this is actually making progress.

*Wistful sigh*

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 04:31:35 AM »
Mostly-finished SoEW English patch here
Well, it's not exactly a "patch", but it's the next best thing. Stage dialogue and music commentary are currently translated. If someone good enough to get to the extra stage could confirm that the text there is properly formatted, that would be most helpful :V

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 04:52:57 AM »
I'll try it, but what should I paste?  Notepad doesn't display the characters properly...

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 04:55:33 AM »
Mostly-finished SoEW English patch here
Well, it's not exactly a "patch", but it's the next best thing. Stage dialogue and music commentary are currently translated. If someone good enough to get to the extra stage could confirm that the text there is properly formatted, that would be most helpful :V

I fcuking love you?