Author Topic: Official Touhou Project Magazine 2016: w/ Uni Akiyama and ZUN's music CD  (Read 167678 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
UPDATE May 31, 2016: See here.

UPDATE:You can preorder the book at Amazon, and it WILL ship overseas (Link)

The ebook version is now available for preorder at Kadokawa's ebook store. (Link)

The ebook version DOES NOT contain contents of the music CD. It will become downloadable at 0 AM Sep 30 in Japan.

This particular book is region-locked, so if you are not in Japan, you will need some sort of VPN proxy to access the purchase page. For payment, a VISA or MasterCard credit card from any country should be enough.

Like most Japanese ebooks, you will need to download and read the book through Kadokawa's client app, which serves as DRM.

Dengeki Moeoh, a magazine under the auspices of Kadokawa Group, has announced that they are publishing an official Touhou Project magazine. The first issue, 『東方外來韋編 Strange Creators of Outer World. 壱』, will be available on Sep 30, 2015.

The official site of the Touhou magazine currently has a teaser page up. According to the page, the magazine is made with the full support and oversight of ZUN. It will feature interviews and introductions of doujin creators in all fields of Touhou fandom (beginning with ZUN himself, of course), newbie-friendly information on the Touhou universe, a new serialization by ZUN (EDIT: confirmed to be Touhou Kourindou), and a music arrangement CD by guest musicians.

Here are some pictures of PR materials spotted by a fan (source: 1, 2), showing more artwork by Masakichi:

Explanation of the title:
東方外來韋編 likely should be pronounced Touhou Gairai Ihen.

壱 is a formal document way of writing "ONE", marking this as the first issue.

外来 gairai is a common word meaning "of external origin, exogeneous" (e.g. imported goods, non-native person, foreign substance), written here using 來, the older form of the character "rai" instead of the modern standard 来.

Gensokyoans call books from the outside world 外来本 gairai hon, which we have been translating as "imported books".

韋編 ihen here is used as an overeducated old school scholar-ish way of saying "books". First of all, before paper was invented, ancient Chinese books were written on strips of bamboo or wood, bound together by leather cords. These leather bindings are called 韋編 wei bian. The word is connected to a story about the love of learning, 韋編三絕 "the leather bindings wore out three times":
"In his old age Confucius loved to study the Book of Changes [...]. He studied this book so much that the leather thongs binding the wooden strips wore out three times."

Hence the main title can be roughly translated as Eastern Tomes of External Origins.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:45:12 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

cuc

Re: First issue of the official Touhou Project magazine announced
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:05:28 PM »
I guess this should be the big 2015 bomb (or one of the bombs) ZUN has been teasing for the better half of this year. Unlike many previous "introduction to Touhou" publications - like the infamous Eastern and Bright Nature Deity appendix, he is clearly heavily involved with the magazine.

On the other hand, the title suggests the main purpose of the magazine is to act as a platform for showcasing fan talents, with the outside world as a metaphor for the Touhou fandom. This is consistent with what he has been doing with the Touhou brand in recent years - exploring ways to support doujin creators.

As for the new serialization, an easy guess is that it stars Sumireko, having adventures inside and outside Gensokyo.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:27:35 PM by cuc »

PK

• Border of Whatever
Re: Official Touhou Project magazine announced
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
First of all: Yay!
Does this mean FS and/or WaHH are coming to an end?

"Creators of outer world"...maybe some other Gensokyo-like place is involved, or they plan to create another one because it's becoming too small to host everyone? Would be great i believe, although it likely refers to something else.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »
As for the new serialization, an easy guess is that it stars Sumireko, having adventures inside and outside Gensokyo.
That would be really great, actually. Really hoping for that one.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »
Ooooh ~ so we're getting a Touhouzine  this time ? Neat ! I'm curious about how it'll introduce Gensokyo to the newbies : all-in or little by little, since there'll supposedly be other issues beside this ? At any rate, it's gonna be refreshing read  :3

That'd be pretty nice. If this is going to be for the newcomers too, maybe it won't be something too hard to digest, but something simple yet enjoyable like, dunno, maybe something like a 4koma  series or something ? At any rate, this might not introduce new characters (I hope it does, though)

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 04:57:45 PM »
This sounds so nice, damn.
I'm looking forward the contents of this magazine, and the new Touhou manga/novel as well. Glad to see Masakichi again, I love his art.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »
"Creators of outer world"...maybe some other Gensokyo-like place is involved, or they plan to create another one because it's becoming too small to host everyone? Would be great i believe, although it likely refers to something else.

I think it's referring to the Outside World more than anything, especially since it seems to have focus on the fandom aspects of the series.

Still, this is probably the last thing I ever expected for the series, but it'll be nice to have another source of lore, not to mention it sounds like it could very easily introduce people unfamiliar to the series to it without being too crazy.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 08:04:12 PM »
The "Strange Creators of the Outer World" are obviously us, the Touhou fandom of the Outside World. I don't think there's any other possible interpretation.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 08:31:52 PM »
like the infamous Eastern and Bright Nature Deity appendix, he is clearly heavily involved with the magazine.

Oh?  I haven't read EaBND at all so I've no idea what the appendix could have that would be considered infamous.  Got curious - What's it about?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 11:26:43 PM »
That's quite the Sanae to have on promo material for official content.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kaizaki

• Pillager
  • I'm feeling lucky
    • GitHub
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 11:29:25 PM »
This sounds great. A set similar to Bougetsushou may be too much for newcomers... Still, one can dream.

Drake

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 12:21:01 AM »
Oh?  I haven't read EaBND at all so I've no idea what the appendix could have that would be considered infamous.  Got curious - What's it about?
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,13761.msg976751.html#msg976751

One of EaBND's volumes had an appendix section with character introductions and whatnot. These were sections that looked like this, but with various errors in portraits, names and text, described in the link above.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:23:01 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

cuc

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 12:40:39 AM »
I forgot to mention that "Outer World" could be a reference to the groundbreaking game "Another World", alternatively titled "Out of This World" in the U.S., and "Outer World" in Japan.

Another thing is that in today's Japanese vernacular, the loanword クリエータ "creator" is used exclusively to refer to artistic creatives.

EDIT:
On a completely unrelated note, Pori☆Pori Club (a web show ZUN is a "regular guest" in) had a public event in June 14, where each panelist presented one or two games they wanted to recommend. ZUN's recommendation was STARWHAL.

This game is now part of the "beat the average" bonus in the weekly Humble Bundle. Keep in mind it is a local multiplayer game without an online mode.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:13:00 AM by cuc »

UTW

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 04:37:06 AM »
Does this mean FS and/or WaHH are coming to an end?

I'd say it's likely, but you could make a case for either. WaHH has been going a long time and I've read constant speculation of Febri being in trouble with cancellation imminent. Accordingly, WaHH would either have to go with it or be moved to another Ichijinsha magazine, like Comic Rex, as speculated. Though I don't know how accurate those rumors were.

However, it would be easier on ZUN if the monthly serialization, FS, was dropped. I'd say WaHH is closer to resolution than FS, though. And frankly, I wonder if people don't just want to see her secrets laid out already and are getting a bit tired of it (simply basing this on how popular Kasen was before, but not so much anymore, even after ULiL), but I know ZUN only abides by his wishes.

Frankly, I never thought WaHH was going to last this long, since I thought it was just going to be a limited 20-something chapter series like SSiB. But both WAHH and FS have taken up the world-building mantle of the Three Fairies manga where it's just a bunch of short stories about Gensokyo. There can be room for both, but since FS gave us something never really seen before (life in the Human Village, Human-Youkai relations and politics, etc.), I'd rather that one be kept. I think there's still more to be done with it.

In the end, it depends a lot on if this magazine is a monthly or bi-monthly thing, but I would bet on bi-monthly. Though I would like FS to be kept, I just have a feeling it won't be based on ZUN's current workload. But for all we know, it'll be WAHH to go, or both.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:40:17 AM by UTW »

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 09:11:06 AM »

I think it's referring to the Outside World more than anything, especially since it seems to have focus on the fandom aspects of the series.
The "Strange Creators of the Outer World" are obviously us, the Touhou fandom of the Outside World. I don't think there's any other possible interpretation.
Well, yes, i got that. It wasn't clear, but I was talking more about a possible double-meaning, since it'd be a bit weird if the title didn't have anything to do with the stories we are gonna get.

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »
Now *this* is an interesting development in the Touhou "brand". I remember ZUN has always been talking about in interviews how he wanted to help other people in the doujin scene and this is a good platform for doing just that. I will defiantly be interested in how this turns out (especially the world building stuff).

Yesterday, shooting games... Today, a magazine... Tomorrow... An anime?

Also, dose this mean that ZUN thought it would be fun to get involved in magazine printing? I remember ZUN saying that he likes to get into things if he thinks they will be fun to make... like his games.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:13:59 PM by HalfGrand »

cuc

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »
In today's Nikenme Radio stream (source: Tohomemory), Okonogi and ZUN indicated that ZUN is checking over the magazine's manuscript with great care, giving directions about how sentences are better phrased. ZUN said the process recalls BAiJR, and the magazine will be the same old thing (as they have always done), nothing groundbreaking.

Of course, the implication is that the magazine is being produced by Okonogi, ZUN's long-time editor responsible for BAiJR, PMiSS, CiLR, SoPm and WaHH. It looks like from now on, all new official Touhou publications will come out through Kadokawa, and the Ichijinsha era will eventually come to an end.

Another detail from the stream is that ZUN mentioned Touhou was first publicly exhibited in some form in 1995, which was not known before. He also said Touhou have three different 20th anniversaries, which fans have interpreted to mean anniversaries for three different milestone moments of the first Touhou game - for example, the start of development, the end of development, and the first time it was publicly shown.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:31:23 PM by cuc »

cuc

Re: Official Touhou Project Magazine Announced, or: the Return of Rinnosuke
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 02:47:57 PM »

Someone has found an ad spread in today's issue of Dengeki Moeoh. The spread has confirmed that the Touhou magazine will contain an in-depth interview about Touhou 15, and a "new serialization": "Touhou Kourindou" (Provisional Title), with illustrations by Genji Asai.

The old "Touhou Kourindou ~ Curiosities of Lotus Asia" stories ended serialization in 2007, and was collected in one volume in 2010. Recently, Marisa had introduced Kosuzu to Kourindou and its owner Rinnosuke, an action they must feel some regret for.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 02:56:56 PM by cuc »

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 03:15:44 PM »
I was hoping for another prose thing so I'm very happy about this! Looking forward to Kourin being snarky around all the newer touhous. (Good thing this magazine comes out around the same time as comp ace so I can ship them together... though the bigger question is, are my Japanese skills ready for Rinnosuke's giant folklore heavy speeches...?)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
I am 110% down for this.

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 04:32:16 PM »
Awww, I'm so excited towards this.
Will be waiting more information!

Thank you, cuc!

Drake

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 01:44:13 AM »
Dude I saw this spread and didn't notice what the text said. Yes yes yes yes yes yes.

cuc

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 01:18:15 PM »
Amazon Japan has a preorder page up. Information says 160 pages for 1200 yen.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4048694294/

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 10:00:36 AM »
Some cover art sneak peeks coming from Twitter.
Looks like Genji Asai will draw the firts issue cover.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:02:44 AM by Plubio »

Drake

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 10:15:58 AM »
hurgggg that looks good

cuc

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 10:05:42 AM »
Some cover art sneak peeks coming from Twitter.
Looks like Genji Asai will draw the firts issue cover.
The tweet was made by an editor of the magazine when he was "doing color check for the cover."

Artwork for some preorder bonus stuff:

Somewhat related to the magazine, ZUN will have two stream appearances at Tokyo Game Show 2015.

During September 19's Indie Stream Fes 2015, the party for indie developers, PoriPori Club will again have a live talkshow (6:00~9:00 PM (JST)), and ZUN will be there.

On Sep 20, from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM, ZUN will speak at Dengeki Online's official stream.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:05:13 AM by cuc »

cuc

Re: Official Touhou Project Magazine Announced (Ebook Available!)
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
The ebook version is now available for preorder at Kadokawa's ebook store. (Link)

The ebook version DOES NOT contain contents of the music CD. It will become downloadable at 0 AM Sep 30 in Japan.

This particular book is region-locked, so if you are not in Japan, you will need some sort of VPN proxy to access the purchase page. For payment, a VISA or MasterCard credit card from any country should be enough.

Like most Japanese ebooks, you will need to read the book through Kadokawa's client app, which serves as DRM.

Nowadays, you can actually buy the majority of Touhou manga paperbacks (SSiB, Inaba, WaHH and FS) as ebooks. It's just Febri and Comp Ace, the magazines that carry Touhou serializations are in hard copy only.

Thankfully, this new magazine is being published by the Dengeki/ASCII subsidiary, who seems to have fully embraced ebooks. The only issue with their publications is the region lock, which should be easy to bypass.

If you are considering buying the other ebooks now:
From what can be gleamed from the internet, for the majority of ebooks, including those published by Ichijinsha (SSiB, Inaba, WaHH), eBookJapan tend to offer the highest image resolution and quality. That's for reference only, 'cause I haven't tested it.

However, ebooks published by Kadokawa are all based on their own Bookwalker sources. Buying them elsewhere does not offer any advantage. Kadokawa also often release their ebooks on Bookwalker first before other sites, although Forbidden Scrollery is a simultaneous release at all sites.

On the other side, ZUN had wrapped up the last editorial meeting for the magazine yesterday.

Here's him taking a look at a printed sample for the Touhou 15 in-depth interview.  (From Okonogi's twitter)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:18:02 AM by cuc »

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
Re: Official Touhou Project Magazine Announced (Ebook Available!)
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »
I got excited by the words 'ebook' but region lock and DRM, geh. I'm going to ship it with this month's comp ace anyway so unless the digital version is significantly cheaper I guess I'll just stare at my letterbox as always.

Re: Official Touhou Project Magazine Announced
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2015, 07:10:51 AM »
I want to point out that Reimu and Marisa are entwining their fingers on the cover:

I wonder if this is ZUN's way of teasing the shippers.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
Re: Official Touhou Project Magazine Announced
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 07:14:50 AM »
I want to point out that Reimu and Marisa are entwining their fingers on the cover:

I wonder if this is ZUN's way of teasing the shippers.

I wonder if they're going to be in a threeway with Rinnosuke.
Also Alice btfo