Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5, Part 2  (Read 95484 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5, Part 2
« Reply #900 on: January 24, 2018, 07:04:24 AM »
>...only somewhat. I suppose you're right that I should have asked in more detail.

>I certainly would have in your position.

« Reply #901 on: January 24, 2018, 07:25:35 AM »
>I'll make a point of it when we next have downtime.

« Reply #902 on: January 24, 2018, 08:23:09 AM »
>I'll make a point of it when we next have downtime.

>Keeping each other up to date with our abilities is important. At least, as much as we can, given that our abilities seem to be ever changing, ever growing.
>"You sure?" you hear Taka say into his radio. "But- Yes. Yes, sir. Yes, sir, I'll tell them. It's a no on those unies." Taka says to you. "Only authorized personnel allowed."

« Reply #903 on: January 24, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »
>"Well, that's unfortunate. One might think that present circumstances ranked serious enough to warrant some flexibility."
>Are there any other people around the area? Like, would the security uniform be the only thing that would likely blend in?

« Reply #904 on: January 24, 2018, 11:19:09 AM »
>"Well, that's unfortunate. One might think that present circumstances ranked serious enough to warrant some flexibility."
>Are there any other people around the area? Like, would the security uniform be the only thing that would likely blend in?

>"Rules are rules to the top brass." Taka says. "They say that 'with the uniform comes the responsibility', and not just anyone gets to wear one."
>The area you are in is a very large chamber connected to a number of entrance ramps for large airplanes. There are presently two queues packed with people, one embarking a plane, the other disembarking. Those crowds, and more people besides, are going in all directions. It is a large crowd, and the plane you're expecting is going to have over a hundred people to add to it. The issue you have is finding one 'look' that won't change or shuffle out with part of the crowd. Plain clothes would obviously work, but that would probably make it easier for people to recognize you as Byakuren Hijiri. Or for people to recognize Kiku, for that matter, you imagine she's fairly well known, being a long term miko in this city. Your best best would be the uniform belonging to an occupation that has a place here in the airport. If security won't work, you could disguise yourself as a pilot, or a stewardess, they wouldn't look out of place in an airport. The airport staff also appears to have its own uniform which you could emulate, but there's no guarnatee they don't frown upon that like security agents do. This particular airport also holds a restaurant, and a number of fast food joints. You could disguise yourself as an employee of one of those establishments and mill about as though you were on break, or on your way to work. There's also the ground crew that works here, refuelers, mechanics and the like.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:53:51 AM by Oldmansour »

« Reply #905 on: January 24, 2018, 04:28:53 PM »
>Do we think that maintaining a glamor would make us any more magically obvious to someone attuned to that sort of thing? Like, would we buzz someone's detection abilities in a way that we don't already?

« Reply #906 on: January 24, 2018, 08:08:03 PM »
>Do we think that maintaining a glamor would make us any more magically obvious to someone attuned to that sort of thing? Like, would we buzz someone's detection abilities in a way that we don't already?

>Not once you activate it. The casting may briefly register on someone's magical radar, for want of a better word, but once it's active, you don't believe it would be any more detectable than the outfit you wear by default.

« Reply #907 on: January 24, 2018, 08:41:02 PM »
>"Well, in that case..."
>Let's try disguising ourselves as maintenance staff, then

« Reply #908 on: January 25, 2018, 02:40:06 AM »
>"Well, in that case..."
>Let's try disguising ourselves as maintenance staff, then

>"Maybe Sawashiro-sama could hey, what's that?" Taka's suggestion is interrupted by a glow from your ring. Your desire to go incognito has manifested itself in a new form of energy, gathering in your ring. A moment later, a new object emerges from your ring. Not a ring like it's produced before but a bracelet, a hoop of violet and white material, tangible emotion to wear on your arm. It seems that your new magic requires a different object through which to operate.
>"Speaking of new abilities." Kiku mutters as your bracelet places itself on your arm. A perfect fit, naturally. The bracelet generates a properly shoujo-style glow around you, leaving a none-too flattering pale green shirt and brown pants covering your body instead of your natural attire.
>The normally humorless Kiku grins faintly. "Your new power is not a glamorous one, Lotus."

« Reply #909 on: January 25, 2018, 02:59:54 AM »
>"The less intriguing our quarry finds me, the better, I should think."

« Reply #910 on: January 25, 2018, 03:56:18 AM »
>"The less intriguing our quarry finds me, the better, I should think."

>"Then I suggest you change your hair, as well." Kiku recommends.

« Reply #911 on: January 25, 2018, 04:28:32 AM »
>"Oh, right."
>Assuming we can do this, let's pick something fairly plain and utilitarian, too

« Reply #912 on: January 25, 2018, 05:02:04 AM »
>"Oh, right."
>Assuming we can do this, let's pick something fairly plain and utilitarian, too

>Gradient hair such as yours being as uncommon as it is, you decide Kiku has a point. So you key in your bracelet again and focus its power on your head. The result is a change in style and color, yielding a simple but effective bun, appropriate for someone who wants to keep their hair out of the products they're working with, and a duller, single-tone brown.

« Reply #913 on: January 25, 2018, 05:08:47 AM »
>"How's this?"

« Reply #914 on: January 25, 2018, 05:11:17 AM »
>"How's this?"

>Kiku nods. "Effective."

« Reply #915 on: January 25, 2018, 05:13:29 AM »
>I don't suppose you suddenly feel able to do likewise, do you?

« Reply #916 on: January 25, 2018, 09:00:57 PM »
>I don't suppose you suddenly feel able to do likewise, do you?

>I don't believe so. Kiku says after a brief pause. I never was very good at illusions. Does that bracelet only affect your own appearance?

« Reply #917 on: January 25, 2018, 09:24:47 PM »
>Does it? Or could we use it to similarly disguise our companions?

« Reply #918 on: January 26, 2018, 01:30:21 AM »
>Does it? Or could we use it to similarly disguise our companions?

>You believe you can, though only if the subject is willing. That could have some interesting uses.

« Reply #919 on: January 26, 2018, 03:23:33 AM »
>I believe I can use it to affect others, assuming they are a willing recipient. Would you like me to try?

« Reply #920 on: January 26, 2018, 05:04:54 AM »
>I believe I can use it to affect others, assuming they are a willing recipient. Would you like me to try?

>Yes.

« Reply #921 on: January 26, 2018, 05:41:16 AM »
>Let's give it a go. Something comparable to our own get-up.

« Reply #922 on: January 26, 2018, 05:52:57 PM »
>Let's give it a go. Something comparable to our own get-up.

>Disguising Kiku's more distinctive appearance takes a bit more work than yours. The stripes in her hair and on her skin are quite rare so you feel it best to disguise them as well. So you bleach her skin and her hair, leaving her stripe-free and blonde, wearing a set of utilitarian black coveralls.
>"Do you have a mirror?" Kiku asks once you're finished.

« Reply #923 on: January 26, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
>Do we? Or can we make one? If either of those are true, present it to her.
>Otherwise: "I'm afraid not."

« Reply #924 on: January 26, 2018, 08:11:35 PM »
>Do we? Or can we make one? If either of those are true, present it to her.
>Otherwise: "I'm afraid not."

>You think you can dragoon a reflective surface out of your Sapphire light, though the resulting reflection would be blue-tinted. You inform Kiku of this, and she replies with  "Good enough." So you draw upon your increasingly-versatile blue light and craft it into a hovering hand mirror, which the tiger youkai glances into. Her lip curls back in a feline snarl and a very short hiss of air escapes her lips before she visually collects herself. "Again, very effective." she says, though her voice does sound a touch strained.

« Reply #925 on: January 26, 2018, 08:12:48 PM »
>I apologize if it's not to your liking.

« Reply #926 on: January 26, 2018, 08:21:27 PM »
>I apologize if it's not to your liking.

>It is not that. It is... My stripes. she admits. I am not a vain person, but I am proud of what I am. My stripes are a sign that I am a tiger, a sign of my pride. I understand the aim of hiding them, but it is disconcerting.

« Reply #927 on: January 26, 2018, 08:24:49 PM »
>Ah. Understandable. Though with any luck, this will be a short-lived affair.
>Assuming there's nothing else that needs straightening out right now, let's go and try to blend and wait for the plane's arrival

« Reply #928 on: January 27, 2018, 06:42:04 AM »
>Ah. Understandable. Though with any luck, this will be a short-lived affair.
>Assuming there's nothing else that needs straightening out right now, let's go and try to blend and wait for the plane's arrival

>I will bear it. Kiku replies, her confidance returning. I've borne worse.
>Finished with your changes, and taking a moment to be releived no one walked past to catch you doing it, you and Kiku continue on deeper into the humoungous room at a casual pace. As being seen with a member of security might be a bit suspicious, Taka takes his leave of you. Yuna, having already gone off to set up something of her own, is out of your sight, leaving you alone with Kiku. After the two of you got off on the wrong foot, it is remarkable that you've become not only colleagues, but even friends. That's not to say that you're as at ease in her company as you are in that of Rin's or Marissa's, but you're also in no hurry to leave. You know her well enough to be able to tell, after a few minutes of talking to her, that something else is bothering her about her disguise beyond just the issue of pride that she'd mentioned. You don't press her on it, of course, that's not how you roll. You do mention your concern, on a private channel of course, which she appreciates, but she declines to speak further on it at this time.
>Despite your nondescript clothing, you are not completely undisturbed during your stakeout. A handsome young man in expensive looking clothes disembarking a plane goes out of his way to approach you. His Yamato is not very good, but you can tell from his accent that he is a native Francais speaker, which you are fluent in, so communication becomes easier. He is no wizard or any threat, just a tourist who happened to see two pretty girls without another male around, so he thought he'd make his move. Not even on Yamato soil for ten minutes. The boy works fast. But he doesn't seem to have a great of persistance, and leaves you and Kiku alone after only a couple of minutes.
>Once he leaves, Yuna returns to you. Her gohei is no longer visible, and you wonder where she's hidden the thing. She shows no hint of apprehension, a credit to her character. During your time together, you and Kiku discussed what Kiku knew of Semitur. She wasn't able to expand much on the combat capabilities of the succubus beyond what Haruka and Razorclaw told you, but she was aware of some of the things Semitur is known to have done in her time. She may not have been the kind of evil you originally signed on to thwart, but you know you'll be much happier without her walking the streets of your city.

>All goes well and uneventfully until the plane is only five minutes or so from landing. And then, unexpectedly, the dry voice of the Purpose sounds in your mind, Hero.

« Reply #929 on: January 27, 2018, 07:12:09 AM »
>Yes?