Author Topic: Youkai Quest: 3rd Revision  (Read 34958 times)

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
Re: Youkai Quest: 3rd Revision
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 11:49:05 PM »
> "Nya! Sorry!"
> Assist her by attempting to pull her out.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »
> "Nya! Sorry!"
> Assist her by attempting to pull her out.
>You get a bit flustered and fly over to try to help her out, and nearly get clobbered square in the face by her flailing legs. You'd almost laugh, if it wasn't for the fact that she looks pretty well stuck.
>Of course, before you can close back in, you think you feel a rumbling sort of feeling, the kind that comes before or during an earthquake. You even think you see a few cracks forming from where she's stuck...You should probably back away a good distance...Even though you aren't sure how you can feel it while you're in midair. You think the air itself is probably shaking too.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2014, 05:02:35 PM »
> Back up and let her do her thing then, but stay on the ground.
> Brace for impact.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2014, 05:13:30 PM »
> Back up and let her do her thing then, but stay on the ground.
> Brace for impact.

>You pull back and watch, bracing for anything that might happen, and.....
>BOOM! It's kinda like a scene out of one of those shows you saw on the tv box, where they spent like, five or six episodes just powering up. You thought they talked too much and should just get to the fighting already. She's even got one of them battle aura things and all!
>Which would be cool....If not for the fact that she's hovering upside-down in a small crater. You think she might not have realized she's still upside-down. She'll probably realize it here in about five...four...three...two...And cue realization....Or not?
>...Oh, there it is. She just faceplanted on the floor of what was originally the self-made planter she got stuck in. You have a strong urge to facepalm.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »
> Resist urge and head on over.
> "Er... you okay?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »
> Resist urge and head on over.
> "Er... you okay?"
>You fend off the urge to facepalm, and go over to investigate. Peeking over the rim of the small crater, you see that who you assume to be Meiling is just now standing back up, spitting out a few clods of dirt and rock in the process and looking quite confused. "What happened..?" You could swear you saw a question mark appear above her hard for a moment there.
>When you ask her if she's alright, she almost seems to start for a second, then recomposes herself, laughing merrily. "Just fine! Say, you wouldn't happen to have seen Taisui Xingjun around have you? I thought for sure I was fighting him just now..."

>...Who?

Parser's Note: Once the Tofu's been picked up from the Human Village, I'll call it quits on this intermission. But worry not, that won't be the end of Hibachi's adventures! Not by a long shot!
No, this will simply signal the beginning of the adventures of another Main Character! In another time, another place, and in a whole new world!
Next on Phantasm Battle Chronicle Gensokyo, Episode 2: A Scarlet Legend Begins!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2014, 11:22:36 PM »
> "...heh?  You were probably dreaming."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2014, 05:50:10 AM »
> "...heh?  You were probably dreaming."
>Your somewhat puzzled response elicits a similarly-puzzled expression. "Oh...So it was just a dream after all...No wonder my hair turned gold towards the end..." ...Does she watch that series too?
>As you ponder this, a pair of brown-haired Fairies wearing what can only be described as Maid Uniforms hover past rambling to each other inanely, as most Fairies not Cirno or Dai(that you know of) are oft to do.
>Your keen hearing however, manages to catch some of it, though making sense of it is a whole other kettle of fish entirely...
>...Oooo-kay then. Leaving both you and who you assume to be Meiling exchanging thoroughly confused looks, they fly along their merry little way, cheerily rambling at each other about circles, spirals, bridges, and decorating sense the whole time. "...Uh..." Took the words right out of your mouth she did. You might have to ask Dai about that one, she'd probably be able to make more sense of it than you.

~BGM: Slumbering Dragon?~
>The person you assume to be Meiling then looks back to you with the sort of grin you'd expect to see in a lot of those shows where the main character is a hopeless idiot, yet somehow manages to save the day regardless. It's remarkably similar to Cirno's usual grin, come to think of it. "Oh! I forgot to introduce myself didn't I? I'm Hong Meiling. Not China, Hong Meiling. Got it memorized?" Well, looks like your guess was on the dot! The newspaper article said she was the one offering martial arts lessons, so you should probably also introduce yourself and mention why you're here.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2014, 06:05:38 AM »
> "Nice to meet you! I'm Hibachi!  I saw the article about you offering martial arts lessons in the news."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
> "Nice to meet you! I'm Hibachi!  I saw the article about you offering martial arts lessons in the news."

>When you introduce yourself and state your reason for being here, she seems to brighten up. In fact, she seems so happy she's practically weeping manly tears! ...However improbable that may seem, given how most of Gensokyo's Notables are female. you decide to not think too hard about that.
>"I didn't think anyone would actually show up...!" Wow, she kinda reminds you of that guy from that one show about ninjas you watched a little of. the one guy in green who teaches that other one in green. You think they're funny, what with how over-the-top they behave and all. You haven't found anyone in Gensokyo like them, until now it seems. Sanae came close, but only when talking about mecha.
>Come to think of it...she's wearing a lot of green herself. You idly wonder if maybe she knows that other series too. you didn't really keep track of the name, but you think it had something to do with Ramen...?

Parser's Note: Sorry about the delay!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »
> Do we watch much mecha anime?
> "So what exactly should I be expecting when it comes to these lessons?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »
> Do we watch much mecha anime?
> "So what exactly should I be expecting when it comes to these lessons?"
>Not too much, though that's only relative to Sanae, who is usually always watching a new one every time you visit. Last time it had something to do with lines and barrels. You do recall that it had a pretty crazy-awesome opening theme, which you liked.
>Now, games with mecha in them are another thing entirely! In fact, Sanae's been helping you with one in particular that involves strategy recently. It's old, and getting all the Battle Masteries is hard, but it's oddly satisfying. She said something about being able to get an optional secret unit if you get all of them up to and through a certain chapter. supposedly, it's a really strong one.
>She also mentioned a secret unlockable attack for one of the other units, but the process to get it was so convoluted that it gave you a headache. You're a kitty of simple things after all! It was supposed to be strong though, even if only a few people who could be assigned to that unit could access it...Maybe you'll let Sanae handle doing that.

>When you ask about what exactly you should expect in regards to the lessons, she looks you over a few times in an appraising manner. "Well, you don't have the feel of someone who's had any formal training in hand-to-hand combat without a weapon, so just the basics for now. Until I feel you've progressed far enough that is!" She seems rather happy about all this.
>Of course, she soon starts making 'hmm' sounds and so on. "....I think I should test you tomorrow, before I can set a proper lesson plan. That way I'm not training you in something you're completely incompatible with, you know?" ...Oh boy. You'll have to remember to bring a first-aid kit, and maybe keep Ponga uninvolved too. After all, you remember the last time you were tested. Yeah, you don't want a repeat of that mess, you were out of commission for quite a while after that one.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
> Nod and make a mental note about the first-aid kit.
> "Alrighty then!"
> We'll be able to get even stronger soon~

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2014, 01:30:17 AM »
> Nod and make a mental note about the first-aid kit.
> "Alrighty then!"
> We'll be able to get even stronger soon~
>You make a mental note about bringing a first-aid kit, which shouldn't be too much trouble since your cloak's pockets hold a crazy amount of stuff. You blame Yukari for that bit of shenanigans.
>Your obvious enthusiasm for the lessons prompts Meiling to grin from ear to ear. "Great! Come back around this time tomorrow, I'll have finished my lunch and gotten things ready for you by then. You don't need to worry about paying today either, just do that tomorrow after training. That'll have you all set for the next couple lessons too."
>It would seem so~!

>That having been squared away, you pull out the map again to get your bearings. Just as you thought, you just have to fly back across the Misty Lake, then over a spur of the Bamboo Forest, and you're outside the Human Village.
>The next matter is, since it seems that path would have you flying close enough to the Iceberg Fortress to investigate, you ponder if you should, or save it for another day when you've grown stronger.
>As if noticing that you're trying to decide something, Meiling chimes in. "I knew I recognized you from somewhere! You're that Nekomata who was in the news a while back, the one who caused that pillar of light up at the Youkai Mountain. I'll bet you were behind that explosion a while back on the other side of the Lake too, weren't you?"

>Oh yeah, you did merit a small article in a few newspapers for that little mess... At this point, she seems to be thinking about something. "Hmm...Well, you seem like you've probably got other things to do today, so I can always report in that you'll be here tomorrow anyways. I know she doesn't really like being kept waiting, but one more day won't hurt."
>Well, you don't really know what she's thinking, but it seems it's about something that can be put off until tomorrow? You wonder who she could be talking about though...

>Of course, at this point a black-and-white blur zooms by, leaving a trail of multicolored light. You think you hear a slightly witchy bit of laughter as it passes. Of course, you're more concerned with keeping yourself upright thanks to the shockwave. Just who or what was that?! You think you hear Meiling curse a little under her breath. "Sorry, looks like break time's over! I'll have to go take care of this!"
>And with that, you're left staring as Meiling dashes off after the blur...What to do now...

>_
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2014, 02:04:56 AM »
> Shrug.
> Let's just investigate the outside of the fortress for now. We've got some time.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »
> Shrug.
> Let's just investigate the outside of the fortress for now. We've got some time.
>Shrugging in puzzled acceptance, you brush it off as something for another time and depart from the Mansion Gate, heading towards the Fortress.
>Upon arrival, you find that visually, nothing much has changed. However, now that you're closer you get the feeling of a faint Presence...two of them maybe? You really aren't sure.
>What you can make out however, is a faint sense of cold. Kinda like what a cold bath feels like. Whoever or whatever is down there might be linked to the fortress somehow?
>Hmm...And judging from how faint it is, the source is either very weak, or further down in the tunnels where you found the shoes.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »
> Curious. Let's save it for now though and head back to the Human Village.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »
> Curious. Let's save it for now though and head back to the Human Village.
>Deciding to investigate another time, you depart, and begin flying towards the Village once more. However, a bit of strange movement in the water nearby suddenly catches your eye. Being a cat, you're sensitive to such things after all.
>Curiously, it seems to be a small whirlpool that vanishes and reappears every so often. But the lake shouldn't have anything that could cause that...Right? You feel you should definitely ask someone about this. Maybe Cirno or Dai, since they apparently live around here?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
> Get a closer look at the whirlpool if we can. Might be able to find something else out before we need to inquire about it.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2014, 12:08:11 AM »
> Get a closer look at the whirlpool if we can. Might be able to find something else out before we need to inquire about it.
>Opting to fly closer to the small whirlpool, you find that you occasionally have to force your hat back onto your head due to a bizarre intake and outflow of air on the whirlpool's part. Almost like something's breathing! Curiouser and curiouser!
>In fact, you think you hear faint snoring coming from the depths of it. it's small, but it seem to go down so far you can't even see the bottom! The lake sure is deep isn't it? You think there might be come kind of creature or person causing this. maybe a water-dwelling Youkai, but could this be the start of another incident? Hopefully not.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:56:50 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2014, 02:44:07 AM »
> Hrm. Not much we can do about it right now anyway. Plus getting wet kinda sucks.
> Continue heading back to the Human Village.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »
> Hrm. Not much we can do about it right now anyway. Plus getting wet kinda sucks.
> Continue heading back to the Human Village.
>Soundly deciding to not get too deeply involved with this matter right now, you depart for the Human Village. flying over plains and streams as you go.
>It doesn't take too long a flight before you see the Village off on the horizon. Every so often you hear faint bits of a tune drifting along on the wind. You aren't sure if it's a festival, or some other kind of event though. You think the note that Yukari left you would have mentioned something like that though. So maybe it's impromptu festivities? It is quite possible someone decided to throw a party at random after all.
>That said, the faint bits and pieces you do hear sound somewhat...festive? No, festive isn't quite what you'd use to describe the distant sounds of a flute...And...you think there's a drum too? You aren't really sure, since even your hearing has limits. Maybe someone's performing some kind of dance or something?
>Passing over a smallish-to-medium sized stream that seems to lead to the village, you catch a brief glimpse of a somewhat large fish's tail poking out of the water every so often. If it's really a fish, it's gotta be at least as big as Nitori! Er, give or take a few inches maybe? You don't really want to get wet investigating though, so you file it away for later reference. It seems to be going the same direction as you though, so maybe you'll find out sooner or later.
>You also note that as you get closer to the village, you start seeing these droopy-looking trees growing alongside the river every so often. They seem to become more common the closer you get.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2014, 05:33:01 PM »
> Continue to the village, keeping an eye on the fish as best we can.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »
> Continue to the village, keeping an eye on the fish as best we can.
>As you fly along, you take note of several shady spots that look nice for a nap, and would be rather tempting if you didn't already have something to do. You also notice that the waterway looks more man-made the further you go. Looks like they extended it a long time ago, so the village would have easier access. You guess that they probably planted those droopy-looking trees to keep the dirt from washing away or something, you think. You don't think you'll easily understand humans, since up until today the only one you've had any meaningful contact with is Sanae, and she's not exactly normal by any standards...You're still trying to make sense of how that girl's logic works. That's not going so well either.
>Eventually, you reach one of the entrance gates of the Human Village, and spot a red-haired girl in a similarly red cape-cloak-thing sitting idly by the waterside. What draws your attention aside from the oddly-high collar, is the blue ribbon she has tied in her hair. It sort of reminds you of Cirno's ribbon.
>Shortly after arriving, you also discover that the fish wasn't exactly a fish at all. But rather, some sort of half-fish-half-girl sort of deal. From here, you note that where ears would be on someone like Sanae, she has fish-like fins. It sounds like from what she's saying to the the red-haired girl, she's depressed over yet another incident near the lake being resolved without her being noticed again. It sounds like this has happened a lot too. She must be talking about the Fake Cirno mess.
>Hey, this must mean she lives at the Misty Lake too! Maybe she'll know more about that weird whirlpool thing? It doesn't seem like she can really leave the water from how she's behaving, so at least you'll probably be able to find her fairly easily when you have time after all this. Or maybe she simply doesn't want to leave the water. you aren't sure.

>Of course, your thoughts are soon interrupted by a voice coming from behind you."Oh? That's odd, I didn't think a Nekomata would be around here. You do know that Youkai aren't usually allowed in the Village, right?"
>Turning around, you see a brown-haired and bespectacled woman wearing simple clothing who stands about the same height as Sanae, looking at you curiously. You note she has an odd, somewhat salty and forest-y smell...Seawater? That's odd, Gensokyo doesn't have any seas or oceans that you know about. "Well, I suppose the music would attract the curious ones, it always does. And then there was that whole Menreiki business recently, which was rather fun."
>Thinking about what she said, you realize that you can hear the music rather clearer. It makes you think of that one thing you watched on the TV box. It was a movie about a girl who fell in love with a priest who either didn't return that love, or didn't even know that she had fallen for him. Either way, that whole mess led her to become a youkai in a bid to make him love her, with rather bad results for her. Tragic story really, you think the humans use it as a cautionary tale.
>There's something else that's strange about this person that you can't quite put your finger on though...But just what could that thing be? No doubt you'll be up all night trying to figure it out, you hate when that happens. After all, you're a cat, and cats love to get as much sleep as they can.

Parser's note: From here on I'll likely drop the colored text for difficulty reasons. Outside of certain important bits of dialogue that is, such as something that Yukari might say which one would do well to heed.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:33:50 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2014, 01:33:26 AM »
No problem at all. Makes it slightly easier to read anyway, haha.

> "Mm? You have something to do with that music then?"
> Head tilt.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2014, 02:18:21 PM »
No problem at all. Makes it slightly easier to read anyway, haha.

> "Mm? You have something to do with that music then?"
> Head tilt.

>Your query into the matter of whether or not this strange woman is involved with the music is met with a noncommittal-sounding chuckle. "Not exactly, but I do know who is. It just so happens she's performing here at the Village today, due to popular request of course. she wouldn't normally be able to otherwise you know, thanks to some of the hardliners around here. No sense for progress or business, especially that Teacher. Too stuck in the past really, the times are changing, and she'd best keep her wits about herself in the future, you know?"
>'wouldn't normally be able to'? Does that mean that maybe who she's talking about is a Youkai? You're rather curious now! You also note that there was just a hint of annoyance towards the end of what she said, what do you suppose she meant by 'hardliners'? You then hear her emit a disappointed sigh. "The people back home had more of it than these folks do. Now, that bookstore owner, Motoori, she's got a good head on her shoulders. Of course, you do need that when you deal in the books she does."
>Now you're getting way too many interesting tidbits of info to willingly stay uninformed. After all, cats are naturally curious, just as birds and monkeys are. And you are a youkai who's still fairly fresh-off-the-mint, so there's naturally quite a lot you still don't know about. And who's this Motoori person anyways? And what does she mean exactly by what she said about 'the books she deals in'? Something smells funny here, and it isn't just Mopey the Fish-girl over there. Come to think of it, you wonder if she'll still be there when you're done here.

Parser's Note: I assume by now that you've already guessed just who this mysterious woman is, no? I've dropped enough hints as it is, though Hibachi won't know much about it.
Given how she has only the barest of knowledge of recent events outside of the Iceberg Incident. Little kitty-cat was very busy she was, yes-indeedy.
Now, timelines might be a bit shifty, but the gist of things is that the events of Hopeless Masquerade happened sometime either during Hibachi's Flight Training, or before it.
and she only had passing knowledge of it due to still only having basic reading ability at the time.
(I know I've got timelines wrong and all, but that happens when you don't always have access to a proper resource for the timelines and whatnot. Plus, this is my own take on things as it were, so as to make up for that.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
> Furrow our brow slightly.
> "And... who might you be?"

I think I know who she is, though I'll admit it took me a bit. Headaches suck.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2014, 08:05:09 AM »
> Furrow our brow slightly.
> "And... who might you be?"

I think I know who she is, though I'll admit it took me a bit. Headaches suck.
>Your furrowed brow, and your question, is met with a somewhat familiarly mysterious smile that reminds you a bit of Yukari. "Oh, just a humble moneylender and businesswoman, nobody all that important. not to a Youkai such as yourself that is. I doubt you'll have much need of my services anyway."
>You're having a bit of a hard time believing that that's all she is, but you don't think you'll get much more than that out of her in that regard. At least not yet that is. she seems like the sort who'll let people know what she's thinking when she's good and ready, kinda like Yukari.
>That said, it doesn't seem like she's trying to pull anything fishy, so you'd guess she's telling the truth about running some kind of business at least.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »
> "I... see."
> Doesn't seem like we'll get much else out of her, so ask who the Motoori person is instead.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2014, 12:29:13 PM »
> "I... see."
> Doesn't seem like we'll get much else out of her, so ask who the Motoori person is instead.
>"Ah, you want to know about Kosuzu Motoori? she runs a bookstore here in the village, though some of her books are a bit...'troublesome' at times. But that's what makes them so appealing to a person like me, I'm sure you'll find them interesting too if you pay it a visit sometime. It's not that hard to find after all, since it's on a side-street just off the main square."
>Troublesome books? This almost sounds like an incident waiting to happen, though you are a bit curious about it.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!