Author Topic: [ROGUE] Okay let's play some NetHack (and DCSS!) (and Angband!) (and Slash'em!)  (Read 170918 times)

Fossil Goo

• UZUMAKI POKEMON
  • OMUNAITO
    • Doodle Blog I have
Re: Okay let's play some NetHack (and DCSS!) (and Angband!) (and Slash'em!)
« Reply #270 on: December 06, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
So, I've noticed a trend in my Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup playing.

Around the ninth or eighth floor, it just becomes outright impossible for me to make any more progress, since the enemies come in swarms and get really tough, and by then I usually haven't found the entrances to any other branches like the Lair of Beasts. And if I go lower into the dungeon things tend to just get harder and more brutal.

So do I need to level grind or something, or is my approach wrong or something? Can someone give me some general playing tips on how I should go about playing the game?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #271 on: December 06, 2010, 05:09:53 PM »
Are you a caster? If not, that's your problem right there.

Are you turning off skills you don't use much? That might help you immensely.

Fossil Goo

• UZUMAKI POKEMON
  • OMUNAITO
    • Doodle Blog I have
« Reply #272 on: December 06, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »
Actually I DO tend to gravitate towards more melee based classes like Chaos Knight with ranged attacks being secondary.....  :derp:

And I turn off dodging and stealth all the time. Quick question; how important is keeping your skill with your chosen weapon/spell on? I'm still not entirely clear on how that differs from the spellcasting and fighting skills.

Wark

« Reply #273 on: December 06, 2010, 08:03:21 PM »
Quick question; how important is keeping your skill with your chosen weapon/spell on? I'm still not entirely clear on how that differs from the spellcasting and fighting skills.
IIRC, it goes like that:
-Fighting affects all types of melee combat (both with weapons and unarmed). It also has influence on your max HP.
-Spellcasting deals with most types of magic. It slightly affects the power of spells, reduces spell hunger, has influence on max MP.
-Magic schools (Conjurations, Transmutation, Elemental Magic, etc) are mostly responsible for spell success rate and spell power.
-Same situation with weapon skills (influence accuracy, power of attacks)

So, to deal as much damage as possible, it's necessary to train both Fighting and weapon skills or Spellcasting and Magic skills respectively.

Also, speaking about CK, would you please name the species you usually use?

Fossil Goo

• UZUMAKI POKEMON
  • OMUNAITO
    • Doodle Blog I have
« Reply #274 on: December 06, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »
Usually either Hill Orc or Demonspawn. Demonspawn is my overall favorite race due to the random mutations, I think they're fun  :V

ebarrett

« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2010, 09:03:44 PM »
:wikipedia:

erm, correct, but the most important aspects of weapon skill benefits aren't there  :V

The most important things in melee are base damage (which gets multipliers as you skill up) and attack speed (which also goes up with skill and lets you apply the multiplied base damage more often in the same amounts of time).

Every two points in a weapon skill reduce delay by 10%, down to half the base delay or 70% for two-handed weapons (some short blades have different conditions but I don't remember the details since short blades are good for stabbing and not much else anyway). This means you want to get your weapon's skill up to 1/10 of its delay as soon as possible, so you get the minimum delay with it. This also means that if you find an executioner's axe on D:1 it's still advisable to wait a little to use it since at extremely low skills you either OHKO everything or miss and take multiple hits while "recovering". The damage multipliers are a mystery even to some devs, though; general consensus is that after you max your attack speed, weapon skill gives diminishing benefits, even though said benefits are not negligible.

Unarmed combat works differently; you start with decent speed and low damage, and as you raise the skill it becomes increasingly ridiculous up to the point where at max skill your fists are probably the fastest AND the most powerful weapon you'll ever find.

Fighting helps a little with all kinds of melee but the main benefit is the HP gain; either way there's no harm done in letting it train all the time since apparently the "where will this amount of exp go" check for weapon skill first and fighting later, which means it'll often be lagging behind anyway.

And on spellcasting skill, it's important to remember how the spell hunger reduction calculations work (the wiki is a risky place to hunt for tips since there's a LOT of outdated analysis and a decent amount of bullshit there, but it's very reliable when it comes to raw data). Increasing spellcasting also increases spell level memorization slots.

I didn't proofread any this and I edited it a lot on the go, so if something just plain don't make any sense, ignore it  :V

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #276 on: December 07, 2010, 02:11:57 AM »
The solution to get better at crawl is to play Ogre anything clearly you will be forced to think much harder about what you do and make use of tools you rarely thought to use before (Unless you like to lose quick). Also if you like Melee classes you could try Trog as a god (Which berserkers start following from the start of the game) he gives the penalty of no magic use but he gives you some very nice abilities. Also if you ever see Curare Needles on the ground grab them if you find a blowgun they will be quite useful. As for race with Chaos Knights Merfolk (Using Trident from the start) are a excellent choice, Minotaur is okay but would likely suffer alot later game due to large lack of magic skill. Hill Orc is just mainly because you want to use Beogh. As for enemy Orc priests/wizards, Centaurs, Sigmund or anything you don't want to fight at range hide around corners and wait or shout to get them to come into melee range this will make not getting smited to death, Arrowed, messed up by dangerous spells and the like much less likely because monsters almost always want to melee instead of cast/use arrows if possible.

Also this link is your friend if you are not using it yet: http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots it is much more up to date than the wiki and has reliable infromation. Look at it whenever you see any enemy you are not familiar with,

Sinjin

• The Self Insert Lover of Yukari
« Reply #277 on: December 20, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »
I actually register to this thing and what do i spot? DUNGEON CRAWL WOO!

What in the flipping frickity fuck? My Nethack Controls are messed up beyond belief. Halp?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:04:25 PM by Sinjin »

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #278 on: December 20, 2010, 11:01:29 PM »
What's particularly messed up? Most things can be remedied with this.

Sinjin

• The Self Insert Lover of Yukari
« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2010, 01:15:50 PM »
Meh guess i'll stick to Dungeon Crawl and Angband. the problem is with the movement, ykuhlbjn isn't exactly a movement setting i can use effectively due to this damn keyboard. (Because i don't have a god damn numpad)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2011, 01:00:33 PM »
Apologies for the necromancy, but traditions must be upheld.

NEWSFLASH: KOBOLDS STEAL THE ORB OF ZOT! TROG REPORTED TO BE EXTREMELY PLEASED.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »
Hax

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2011, 04:28:49 PM »
You're a hax.

Probably managing berserking as a fallback skill is very very useful. And Kobolds, since they are eating machines, can pretty safely berserk whenever they need to.

ebarrett

« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Niiiiice

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »
Superbump.

Server is now henrietta.shrinemaiden.org
Dumplogs are located under http://henrietta.shrinemaiden.org/maidenhack/

Old links will still function but that's it, all new logs will be located at the above address.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #285 on: February 08, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »
Again, traditions must be observed.

MERFOLK STEALS ORB OF ZOT! CUSTODY BATTLE BETWEEN OKAWARU AND THE SHINING ONE ONGOING!

Yalls need to get in on this stuff more. The server is lonely =[

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #286 on: February 09, 2011, 01:08:02 PM »
Once I get my FeBe on CDO finished and get alot of other work taken care of i'll play some games there i've just been using CAO and CDO because I can get advice alot easier.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Huge bump.

Updating Crawl version to 0.8.0 now that it's released.  Anyone with currently running Crawl games speak now or prepare to lose them.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
Axesome. Might run a cat tomorrow.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Felids have the downside of being terribly boring. They are like Demigods but replace no gods with no items other than consumables. Other notable changes this version include Heavy Armor being good again, Charms being split in half and a new god that makes cursed items more or less meaningless. There are some smaller things like Elf only being 5 floors deep and Okawaru getting a slight revamp but those are the major changes.

Oh wait this was mostly covered in the update thread already.

Anyways I managed to splat another Berserker on Zot:5 a few days ago. 54 AC is pretty cool.

EDIT: Oh they made a Unique Executioner in the .9 Trunk now.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:32:32 PM by RIKTER »

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
You even killed a Panda lord on your way up! That is amazing.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
It wasn't that amazing it just used silence and charged after me into a hallway. I would have killed both of them but the first one was with an Ancient Lich. It occurred to me afterwards I should have brought it out of the dungeon with me.

Seventh Holy Scripture

• Err... d'ya need somethin' from me?
Oh, Chengband's working now.
Since I requested it I guess I should play a game or two.

Code: [Select]

Name  : Fearless HomuHomu

Sex      : Female           Age               109   STR :   18/10
 Race     : Zombie           Height             63   INT :      15
 Class    : Time-Lord        Weight             99   WIS :      12
                             Social Class        2   DEX :      12
                             Align         Neutral   CON :      13
                                                     CHR :      13

(Character Background)
          You were created by a Wizard.  You have blue-bloodshot
          eyes, oily bright red hair, and white ulcerous skin.

Horrible race/class combo (Timecrafts are INT-based, and 15 was the maximum I could roll), but let's see how this goes.

Seventh Holy Scripture

• Err... d'ya need somethin' from me?
Luckily, in Chengband you get to choose a stat bonus upon reaching levels 4 and 8 (maybe later too, I forget.) After slaughtering a pack of Ewoks Homuhomu's INT is up to a respectable 18/16.

But alas, while heading back to the surface I encountered this terrifying creature. Do you think I can survive?

Edit so I don't triple post: Now dead (as opposed to undead) after getting stuck on a nasty dungeon level 11 full of skavens and orcs where I could not teleport anywhere safe.
Time-Lords kind of suck, though. At level 15 I still had no useful spells except for the haste that lasted about five turns.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:17:44 AM by Seventh Holy Scripture »

Wark

I have encountered a strange problem when playing Dungeon Crawl on MotK server: some characters (namely the ones for trees, water, clouds and shops) are not displayed, and there are empty black spaces instead. On the other hand, when playing offline, everything is fine (as can be seen here).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:54:41 PM by Fiveflower »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Check your encoding settings in PuTTY?

Wark

Check your encoding settings in PuTTY?
I'm not using PuTTY, since it's easier to simply use "telnet henrietta.shrinemaiden.org" in Linux. Still, I've installed PuTTY and tried playing using it, but it did not solve the problem. I dare to say that something is wrong with MotK server, as everything I had mentioned is displayed fine when using CDO (crawl.develz.org) server. Still, it would be nice if someone else could confirm that they experience the same problem.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
It might be due to Crawl adding Unicode in .8 I turned that off as soon as it was implemented

Wark

Got my first win on MotK server today. DSBe, 4 runes.