Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)  (Read 46574 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)
« Reply #960 on: December 11, 2015, 10:29:48 AM »
>"Sing for me. Sing about life, sing a song, sing out loud."

« Reply #961 on: December 11, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
>"Sing for me. Sing about life, sing a song, sing out loud."

>"Are you... are you alright?" she asks, pausing. You nearly stumble when you fail to pause with her.

« Reply #962 on: December 11, 2015, 10:55:53 AM »
>"I need something to focus my mind, my attention on. Something that isn't my status, or how far we still have to go."

« Reply #963 on: December 13, 2015, 01:04:30 AM »
>"I need something to focus my mind, my attention on. Something that isn't my status, or how far we still have to go."

>"Oh, um, sure! I can do that! Let's see...."

>And so she sings to you, of snowy mountains and lavender fields, of wistful promises and joyful reunions, of heroes and hijinks, feasts and festivals, and even a fairy marching chant.
>"I always liked that one," she says. "It's fun to sing."

>Though her voice may not be the most melodious you've ever heard, there is an earnestness to it, each note crisp and sharp and full of spirit - perhaps a little too full, in fact. After all the quiet, the sudden chorus of sound feels a little assaulting, but either you grow accustomed to it quickly or Kyouko dials back the volume upon noticing your expression - you're honestly not coherant enough to know which. And just what kind of lung capacity does she have, anyway, to never miss a note even while hiking uphill? But it's... nice. Something still cheerful in this blackened world, something to hold onto.

>And so you let your consciousness drift upon the melody, trailing one foot after another in Kyouko's shadow. Hours may have passed, but you can no longer distinguish between them. There is only the sound of her voice and the endless wilderness beneath your feet.

>At some point, you must have stopped. You can feel Kyouko helping you down to bed beneath a rocky canopy. She smiles, or at least you can imagine her smile beneath that impenetrable curtain of grey.
>"Goodnight, Nazrin."

« Reply #964 on: December 13, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »
>"Thank you, Kyouko."

« Reply #965 on: December 13, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »
>"Thank you, Kyouko."

>"You're welcome," she replies gently.

>Sleep claims your hollow body quickly, drowning the last few glimmers of consciousness in deepest black; there is not enough left of you even to dream.

>When you drift upon awareness again, like so much flotsam washing ashore, it is impossible to tell how long has passed. It is nearly impossible even to stand; your legs feel like hollow reeds beneath you, and even bracing yourself against the rock, the exertion leaves you breathless. Your mouth is a desert and your body is sweltering beneath the sun. Need... water. There was water here, right? Somewhere. Has to be somewhere, yes.

« Reply #966 on: December 13, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »
>Where's Jetsam?
>Get enwatered.

« Reply #967 on: December 13, 2015, 11:49:57 AM »
>Where's Jetsam?
>Get enwatered.

>You assume that part of you is still adrift at sea somewhere.
>You... where did you...? There was... Your eyes search for something, though your mind is not yet sure what. There are only suggestions of forms here, hints of color in the shadows - foreign, meaningless.
>You take another step forward and stumble, falling onto something lumpy, yet too soft to be a rock. Is that... is that a backpack? Your backpack? Your fingers fumble with it, tracing the protrusions of its surface, trying to remember which of them you're looking for. You feel the cool metal of your dowsing rods, the bump of snaps and fasteners, the rigid forms of tools and supplies through the leather. Where was it? Why can't you remember?
>You work open the pack, rummaging an arm among the minutia and scattering it clumsily across the ground. You'd curse, but it hurts too much to swallow. It was right here, wasn't it? Wasn't it?

« Reply #968 on: December 13, 2015, 12:22:51 PM »
>Stop it, Naz. You'll end up danaging that flower we hauled out here. Settle down, woman.

« Reply #969 on: December 13, 2015, 12:29:49 PM »
>Stop it, Naz. You'll end up danaging that flower we hauled out here. Settle down, woman.

>You catch yourself, pause, and take a deep breath, though it rasps against your arid throat. You can't risk damaging that flower. It's too important. Far too important.

« Reply #970 on: December 13, 2015, 12:36:04 PM »
>That's better. If we do die out here, it's not going be a frantic, panicky mess.
>Still, let's... try to avoid looking at our reflection whenever possible. If we look as bad as we feel...
>Look up from our pack. Try to gauge the landscape condition around us.

« Reply #971 on: December 13, 2015, 12:56:35 PM »
>That's better. If we do die out here, it's not going be a frantic, panicky mess.
>Still, let's... try to avoid looking at our reflection whenever possible. If we look as bad as we feel...
>Look up from our pack. Try to gauge the landscape condition around us.

>Even if it's hopeless, you resolve to die with dignity.
>You might look worse, by this point, though you probably couldn't make out much from your reflection, even if you tried. A small mercy? Of course, Kyouko sees your face all the time....
>You're in some kind of shallow rocky nook, somewhat sheltered from the elements. It's... you think it's sunny out, but it's no longer easy to distinguish the grey within from the grey without. It's not raining or after sundown, at any rate. Your immediate surroundings are mostly bare dirt, but you can just barely make out grass and scrub a few feet beyond.
>There's... no sign of Kyouko. You wouldn't trust your eyes to tell you this, but you can't hear anything, either.

« Reply #972 on: December 13, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »
>Can we make a guess at how much farther we have to go?

« Reply #973 on: December 13, 2015, 01:51:10 PM »
>Can we make a guess at how much farther we have to go?

>You scarcely have a clue. Too far.

« Reply #974 on: December 13, 2015, 01:59:24 PM »
>Well, Kyouko wouldn't have abandoned us. Not after we've come this far. She's far too earnest to just up and abandon us.
>But we are certain that we aren't there yet? To Yuuka's, I mean.

« Reply #975 on: December 13, 2015, 09:41:18 PM »
>Well, Kyouko wouldn't have abandoned us. Not after we've come this far. She's far too earnest to just up and abandon us.
>But we are certain that we aren't there yet? To Yuuka's, I mean.

>No, she wouldn't do that. You... can't explain why she isn't here, but it can't be that.
>No, no you can't have come that far. ...can you? How many days has it been now? You can't.... you can't quite remember. Three? Four? ...five?

« Reply #976 on: December 14, 2015, 10:53:17 AM »
>The upshot of that is Yuuka won't have done something to her while we were out. And this wilderness wasn't hostile enough to have harmed her.
>Wait a second. The flower, the lunar orchid. Is it still here, where it's supposed to be?

« Reply #977 on: December 14, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »
>The upshot of that is Yuuka won't have done something to her while we were out. And this wilderness wasn't hostile enough to have harmed her.
>Wait a second. The flower, the lunar orchid. Is it still here, where it's supposed to be?

>Yes, that's right. It's safe here. For her. Only for her....
>It's... it's....! You feel a shot of panic, but your fingers soon find the smooth lacquerware container. It's still here.

« Reply #978 on: December 14, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »
>Again, good. That means she didn't get the idea of trying to make the exchange for us.
>Although now that we're thinking.....
>Assume we still have a day to travel. Assume we'll be worse than we are. Assume we make it to Yuuka's. Will we be physically able to make the medicine we need?

« Reply #979 on: December 14, 2015, 12:32:33 PM »
>Again, good. That means she didn't get the idea of trying to make the exchange for us.
>Although now that we're thinking.....
>Assume we still have a day to travel. Assume we'll be worse than we are. Assume we make it to Yuuka's. Will we be physically able to make the medicine we need?

>You don't... you think Yuuka's is still more than a day away still. But who can tell, anyway? And... to be honest, with as much effort as it takes to ponder this issue, you don't think you'd trust yourself to perform proper measures even now. Recipe better be simple....

« Reply #980 on: December 14, 2015, 12:59:18 PM »
>Could Kyouko?

« Reply #981 on: December 14, 2015, 01:04:21 PM »
>Could Kyouko?

>Maybe? Was... supposed to be simple... you think?
>Why is there so little air in here?

« Reply #982 on: December 17, 2015, 10:33:52 AM »
>Perhaps we really should start considering our options. Since searching for Kyouko is probably not a good idea, we can check the recicipe to see if our guide can indeed mix it in our stead.
>And since our brain isn't firing on all cylinders, we'd better check the recipie itself. Assuming we have it written down somewhere. Try to find it.

« Reply #983 on: December 17, 2015, 07:24:02 PM »
>Perhaps we really should start considering our options. Since searching for Kyouko is probably not a good idea, we can check the recicipe to see if our guide can indeed mix it in our stead.
>And since our brain isn't firing on all cylinders, we'd better check the recipie itself. Assuming we have it written down somewhere. Try to find it.

>You're not certain your brain is firing on any cylinders at the moment, but you nonetheless search through your pack for the recipe. It's only after you've been at it for several minutes that you start to have the sinking recollection that you never wrote it down in the first place....
>It was... it was too simple to bother with, wasn't it? Just... just put... just put something....

« Reply #984 on: December 17, 2015, 08:38:30 PM »
>Let me see if I get this straight. We didn't write it down, and now we can't remember it?

« Reply #985 on: December 17, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »
>Let me see if I get this straight. We didn't write it down, and now we can't remember it?

>You shake your head. No. No way. Like hell you're gonna let this disease steal the memories from your head! It was... it was... one part Athran's Vigor... four parts Aqua Veritatis... you had to steep the bittercress flowers in it. The book never said how many, or how long. Just... slowly? Yeah, slowly.
>Why is everything so damn slow? The flowers, this walk, your own damn mind. Everything but your fluttering heartbeat.

« Reply #986 on: December 17, 2015, 09:20:51 PM »
>Better write that down, then. Before it slips away. Again.

« Reply #987 on: December 17, 2015, 10:18:49 PM »
>Better write that down, then. Before it slips away. Again.

>Yeah, should... write that down. Good idea. ...where was that pencil again? Nothing is where it's supposed to be, and you don't know why. Nothing is where it's supposed to be....
>"Oh, you're awake!" comes a voice. "...are you alright?"

« Reply #988 on: December 18, 2015, 05:51:35 PM »
>"Kyouko?"
>"Where were you?"

« Reply #989 on: December 19, 2015, 11:30:08 PM »
>"Kyouko?"
>"Where were you?"

>You attempt to respond to Kyouko, but your words come out as a strangled rasp, your parched throat seizing up around the sound. You start coughing.
>Kyouko rushes over towards you as you find just breath enough to whisper out a question.
>"I heard a little brook nearby," she says, "so I went to refill our canteens. Here, have something to drink."
>She hands you a canteen.